Santa Clara 0 - Sporting 3 - 2001/02 Portuguese League - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 13:06 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Santa Clara 0 - Sporting 3 - 2001/02 Portuguese League

Nice win for the boys. It was all square at 0 when I left for a walk with the wife and then returned to find (via Livescore) that Barbosa Bento and Jardel each netted a goal. I didn't see the goals (I still have no idea when the highlight show is), but the result is very nice indeed.

The gap between the top two and the rest of the pack is now 9 and eight points. If Boavista would only slip up a bit, we'd have this thing sown up.

Anybody have a match review?

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 13:11 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Here's a blurb from Uefa.com:

Quote:
Portugal round-up: Sporting regain top spot
Sunday 10 March 2002
Sporting Clube de Portugal returned to the top of Portugal's 1. Liga after defeating CD Santa Clara 3-0 at the São Miguel stadium on Sunday. Sporting are now one point clear of reigning champions Boavista FC in the league standings.

Jardel on target
After an uneventful first half, the Lisbon club were more incisive after the break but only managed to make their domination count in the final 20 minutes. Santa Clara's Brazilian left-back Telmo tripped his fellow countryman César Prates in the penalty area in the 74th minute, and Mario Jardel netted the spot-kick to take his impressive goalscoring tally to 31 goals in 22 matches. Captain Pedro Barbosa added the second with a low shot from 12 metres in the 81st minute and midfield player Paulo Bento completed the scoring with a first-time curling shot from outside the box in the final minute.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 13:15
manuel

What a surprise you got a penalty. What it was the first goal as well? late on?

I dont believe you.

All sarcasm aside you guys get a penalty almost every match.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 13:59
Star Player

JVP was tripped up by Brandao in what looked to be a good call.

Here's a list of my favourite Sportista's last night:

1. Pedro Barbosa: he ran past 2-3 players on a few occasions last night. Easily the best man on the pitch IMO.

2. JVP: as dangerous as ever.

3. Rui Jorge: made some nice moves on the left flank and is playing up front more and more but still defensively sound.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 14:03
manuel

Im not disputing that it was a penalty but Sporting do get a lot and a lot of them are not Penalties.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 14:21
International
International

Teams: Benfica, Portugal
Sorry but this was another win favored by the refs. That penalty call was horrendous. If anything it's a foul outside the area. JVP dove like 10 times and not a single yellow which would have put him out of the game.

The 3-0 score line is BS. Santa Clara was giving Sporting all it could handle, and the ref decided to put the game away.

Like a baby, Sporting is being carried to it's baptism as National Champion.

....There was also a conspiracy against Sporting to keep them out of 1st place by 26 points. The conspiracy is about to be revealed in a public judicial forum soon enough. It's hasn't anything to do with Golden whistles, but with Golden Showers, as Sporting Administration and coaching has conspired to piss all over themselves this season.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 14:31
manuel

I agree.

They have a good team but they need refs to get them going usually. You generaly see Jardel talking to the ref before the start of each game probably guarenteeing that the ref will give them penalty if its still level on 70 minutes.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 14:39 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by manuel
I agree.

They have a good team but they need refs to get them going usually. You generaly see Jardel talking to the ref before the start of each game probably guarenteeing that the ref will give them penalty if its still level on 70 minutes.

Give me a break. I agree that SCP tend to get a lot of penalties, but to claim Sporting do anything to get the penalties (aside from some diving) is just absurd. Unless you have proof and nobody ever does when they make these baseless accusations, then please can the crap.

I don't know if Sporting "need" the refs help, but I think just about every champion tends to get the breaks. Just ask Serie A. Is it really our fault the refs can't see through the dives?

post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 14:51
International
International

All's I know is that SPorting is being carried by the refs. Yesterday's game is a classic example of what has happened to Sporting in more games than I can count.

IT's a 0-0 game JVP has dove a bazillion times to get a call, and then when Prates does it, Bam penalty shot with 20 minutes left in the game. If you tell me that doesn't kill a game, then I don't know what to say.

One thing is being lucky, another is every other game getting the benefit of these decisions.

Jardel has more penalty shots for goals this season than what he had at Porto in 3 years while Porto won all them championships.

THere's more to it than luck.

....There was also a conspiracy against Sporting to keep them out of 1st place by 26 points. The conspiracy is about to be revealed in a public judicial forum soon enough. It's hasn't anything to do with Golden whistles, but with Golden Showers, as Sporting Administration and coaching has conspired to piss all over themselves this season.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 15:11
manuel

Yes your right Dae. All im saying is that you get too many at very convinient times. Refs do seem to be biased for Sporting as they have had a penalty in every game Vs their title rivals. Fair enough the one Vs Boavista was actually correct but the one vs Benfica and the 2 vs Porto were awfull decisions and wer'nt penalties in a million years. All good teams have luck thats why they are at the topbut Sporting have had it in Bucket loads.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 15:11 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by RedEagle

THere's more to it than luck.

Meaning a conspiracy, I take it? :rollani:

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 15:13
manuel

Meaning bribery most likely.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 15:15 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by manuel
All good teams have luck thats why they are at the topbut Sporting have had it in Bucket loads.

I agree. We get a lot of penalties and in some cases we've needed them to win. What I object to is the insuations that the ref's are being influenced without any credible proof. It's the definition of sourgrapes.

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 15:19
manuel

I guess.

It just annoys me that Benfica will dive in the box and have the claims turned but Sporting would be given the penalty.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 15:33
International
International

Quote:
Originally posted by Dae

Meaning a conspiracy, I take it? :rollani:
Sure thing Baby!

I mean your own Club President has claimed there is a "Sistema" in the league. He had made accusations but never delivered the proof...but Sporting started getting lucky.
He fought it so hard that he is now part of it!

post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 16:01 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by RedEagle

Sure thing Baby!

I mean your own Club President has claimed there is a "Sistema" in the league. He had made accusations but never delivered the proof...but Sporting started getting lucky.
He fought it so hard that he is now part of it!

I don't put any credit in that crap. When the Sporting brass cried about "Sistema" I chalked it up to sourgrapes and being a whiney crybaby. I still chalk up conspiracy theories and supposed bribery to nothing but sourgrapes unless there is some actual proof.

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 16:18
International
International

Quote:
Originally posted by Dae

I don't put any credit in that crap. When the Sporting brass cried about "Sistema" I chalked it up to sourgrapes and being a whiney crybaby. I still chalk up conspiracy theories and supposed bribery to nothing but sourgrapes unless there is some actual proof.
A conspiracy with proof = Scandal

A conspiracy without proof, but innuendo and not so far fetched logic = only a Conspiracy

Therefore, it's still a conspiracy but not a scandal.

post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 16:30 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

To me, a conspiracy is a theory with some meat on its bones, if not actual proof. Otherwise, it's just the ravings of alien abducted hillbillies and whiney football fans.

post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 16:44
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
Proof might be a little difficult to get -- none the less, I think it's simply just plain ol' bad officiating. However, this guy is starting to develop a pattern... something needs to be done about refs that continuously keep affecting the outcome of these games.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 16:53
International
International

The proof is in the number of points Sporting has received as a result of all the "luck" they've had since their Pres claimed the league was corrupt!

Look it up!

Before their Pres made those claims...0 points.
After their Pres made those claims....????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in