Next up Braga! Sporting vs Braga! - 2001/02 Portuguese League - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2002, 17:56 Thread Starter
Star Player

Next up Braga! Sporting vs Braga! - 2001/02 Portuguese League

This should be a tough game for us! It seems the last 2 seasons we cannot figure these guys out! Well we are due and we are at home! Boavista plays Bayern today then will have to face a tough V. Guimaraes squad this weekend so this is our chance to turn up the speed and go for the kill!

I'm convinced if Boavista loses one more that will be all the space we need!

According to supersporting.com the game will be on Sport TV this Saturday at 20h Portuguese time which is 3pm eastern standard time.

Viva O Sporting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2002, 20:16
Rising Star

U are getting a Braga team at the right opportune time! They are down.

I think a 2-1 win

Vivo o loss!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2002, 20:21 Thread Starter
Star Player

I hope your right! We are due for one of them 4-0 wins!

Finally a response!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2002, 20:26
Rising Star

And probably your last 1 , too
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2002, 21:01 Thread Starter
Star Player

Probably!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2002, 04:58
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP, Portugal, US National Team
I agree with cleek that this is the best time to be playing Braga. We never play well against them and I am glad they are coming to Avalade this time a year.

Braga has been reeling since the Quim suspension. The loss to Leixoes in the cup also killed their confidence.

As for the good guys, we have only 1 injury: Andre Cruz. It's still not certain whether he'll play. With the game at home, Boloni should start Quaresma and play with a more attacking lineup than the Guimaraes one.

Viva Sporting - 2001/2002 League Champions!!!

2002/03 Xtratime Fantasy Football Champion - Viva Sagres & Bifanas!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2002, 08:41
Rising Star

Hey , Penguin is it true that Niculae has already started training and he might still play a role for us this season.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2002, 16:28 Thread Starter
Star Player

Wow really?! Niculae is already training?

-Even if he can help maybe they should just let him come back next year nice and fresh! Look what happened to Sa Pinto he kept coming back early and eventually it took it's toll!

-I think we can be ok without Niculae for the rest of the season so no need to rush him back!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old February 28th, 2002, 18:36
Rising Star

I think he can handle himself and i really miss those hidings we gave out to our opponents!
Anyway to the double we go with or without Marius Niculae
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2002, 14:32
manuel

Calm down you've got Nalitzis
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2002, 18:06 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulo
I think he can handle himself and i really miss those hidings we gave out to our opponents!
Anyway to the double we go with or without Marius Niculae
Right On! It's crunch time time to bring the pain!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2002, 15:43
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Quote:
Portugal round-up: Jardel double not enough
Saturday 2 March 2002

Sporting Clube de Portugal threw away a two-goal lead against SC Braga on Saturday but still lead the way in the 1. Liga table.

Jardel double
Portugal's top scorer Mario Jardel opened the scoring from the penalty spot after just five minutes following a handball by Braga captain Artur Jorge. The Brazilian striker doubled Sporting's advantage two minutes later as he was on hand to tap home from close range after good work by Joăo Pinto.

Barata equaliser
Ricardo Rocha reduced the arrears after 12 minutes as the defender headed home a driven corner. Barata drew Braga level five minutes before half-time as Sporting goalkeeper Tiago could only fumble José Barroso's free kick and the Brazilian striker was free to steer home the rebound.

A disappointing result given it was a home match, but it is yet another notch in the unbeaten run. Seems Braga has always been tough for us, so it's not a killer. With Benfica falling on their face again at home, it extends the gap between the top two and the rest. If Porto loses today then it really will be a two horse race.

On the Niculae thing, I say let him rest. From what I read about the injury, it is a career threatening type, so all this talk about his returning is either pure BS or pure folly. Let him get well.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2002, 04:27
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP, Portugal, US National Team
The next time anyone on these boards claims that the Refs are in our backpocket, kindly remind them of this game:

-2 missed penalties
-1 Goal badly called off-side
-1 Jardel break-away badly called off-side
-On the free-kick that led to the 2nd goal, there was no foul to give them the free-kick to begin with!

However, as I have said in the past here, I don't cry about the referring anymore. Despite all the above crap, we have no excuse for blowing a 2 goal lead at home. We should have been up 5-0 at halftime!

Viva Sporting - 2001/2002 League Champions!!!

2002/03 Xtratime Fantasy Football Champion - Viva Sagres & Bifanas!!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2002, 17:01 Thread Starter
Star Player

I feel ya, Pen! Sometimes the calls go your way other times not! Regardless of the non penalty calls we still had allot of opportunities to score but didn't capatilize!

Eventually it all evens out! We had some calls go our way earlier in the year and this game we paid the price but it will certainly not stop us from winning the Championship! They can't stop us but only hope to contain us!

2 off the crossbar in the same series 1st was Prates free kick and the second was Rui Jorge point blank range!

The rest of the way after Santa Clara at Ponta Delgada we cruise until Boavista, Benfica, and Maritimo!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in