LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2001, 23:21 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Sporting - Setúbal - 2001/02 Portuguese League

Here!

Here's something interesting: I believe I am reading this correctly, but apparently Boloni is considering playing either Tello or Quaresma against Setubal. He's either going to use Tello on the right and Dimas on the left or Quaresma on the left and Prates on the right.

I think Dimas is crap, but I would like to see Tello start. He played well in the little time he got against Benfica and has never been given a real shot.

I would love to see Tello and Quaresma play the wing spots in a classic 4-4-2, with Viana and one of the Bentos in the middle, but I realize that will never happen. For one thing, it's not very portuguese and more importantly, it would leave JVP on the bench because I assume Jardel and Niculae would be upfront. Or, I suppose JVP could take Nicu's spot and he'd sit.

The nice thing about that formation is the crossed that Jardel would get from the wings. Both Tello and Quaresma have shown the ability to cross the ball well, if not always consistently.

Makes for interesting talk, I guess. Too bad our wings have never been really explored from a offensive sense. One is always offensive in nature (Quaresma, Sa, Tello etc...) but the other is always a fullback pressed forward. Seems to me the field is left lopsided.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2001, 23:24 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

According to the official site, these are the players Boloni has selected:

Nélson, Tiago, César Prates, Beto, André Cruz, Quiroga, Phil Babb, Rui Jorge, Dimas, Paulo Bento, Rui Bento, Diogo, Hugo Viana, Pedro Barbosa, Luís Filipe, Tello, Quaresma, Joăo Pinto, Niculae e Jardel.

The usual gang, for the most part, except for the additions of Diogo, Tello and Dimas.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2001, 23:08 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I feel like I'm talking to myself but........

Damn!!, Jardel's goal was a beaut!! I really like it when he shows he can do more than head the ball. He still isn't much of a dribbler, but he is capable of some amazing things. And talk about coming at the right time. I was convinced the game would end in a 0-0 draw about halftime, but I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

I thought Tello played really well in the time given. His crosses from far on the wing were a bit lacking, but otherwise his on the ball play and passing really opened up the game. Quaresma did OK, but it seems he's either lighting the place on fire or doing nothing. I think maybe Tello should get a start.

Cruz's stupidity nearly cost us a goal, but Babb managed to hold off the 2 on 1 break. Nice work.

Other than that, I thought Sporting played very well for the first 60 minutes or so, then played like crap for the next 30 or so. I was almost prepared to see Setubal scoring one and stealing the game.

How sweet it is!!!! Sporting CP is in first place come the winter break. Let's see what the second half brings us.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2001, 23:17
Premier Player

MJ

Jardel scores in extra time for sporting win over steubal,great goal by Super Mario,,,,,

1-0
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2001, 23:24
SLB
Premier Player

Setubal's finishing was comical, especially the open goal miss and the one where 2 setubal players on one sporting defender missed. Frankly Ive seen benfica play badly this season, but not as badly as sporting played today, (especially the scp defence) but the difference between the two....luck!!!

They say all champions need luck, if sporting are not champions this season then it truly will be a minor miracle!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2001, 23:30 Thread Starter
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I agree, Sporting were lucky not to have Setubal score more than a couple of goals, but the finishing was Mickey Mouse at best. I'm not complaining, however.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2001, 23:41
Premier Player

comedy finishing i agree

Why couldent Steubal score,why?:depress:

I hate you M.J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in