Hugo Viana - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2001, 14:18 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
Hugo Viana

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone who can tell me something about Hugo Viana.

thanx

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2001, 14:57
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP, Portugal, US National Team
YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM, HE IS OURS!!!!

Seriously, Hugo Viana is the latest top notch prospect to come from Sporting. He is only 17 (turns 18 in January). He plays in central midfield, though he can play on the left as he is a natural left-footer.

He has only recently cracked the Sporting first team, and has already earned a callup to the full National team.

Many people compare him to either Rui Costa, though I believe he will end up becoming similar in play to Paulo Sousa.

Viva Sporting - 2001/2002 League Champions!!!

2002/03 Xtratime Fantasy Football Champion - Viva Sagres & Bifanas!!!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2001, 15:14
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Let's just hope he has the play of Sousa, but not the injuries.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2001, 22:24
mfa
Premier Player

Teams: F.C.PORTO / Gil Vicente F.C.
Besides he is from Barcelos , he started it all at Gil Vicente's young squads and he moved to Sporting at age 15 (if i'm not mistaken)...for that you can see how big his potential was ...I read somewhere that he didn't want to move from the Sporting juniores squad to Sporting B team .What I meant to say was that he is from Barcelos and started it all at Gil Vicente

div

25-Ricardo Fernandes ...27/06/2003 12/07/2003 14/07/2003 ... ... ...FCP

Hey O'Neill, take a break will ya
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2001, 15:38 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
Thanks for the info. Let's hope he'll continue to play well for Sporting and Portugal.

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2001, 21:17
Rising Star

dont beleive the hype!!!!

viana is a great player and young future prospect.

but lets not get carried away.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2001, 22:57
Star Player

Hugo Viana WILL NOT be at Sporting in next season!

He will be in Italy next season. Someone I work with has been telling me this since late October and I laughed at him. This is the same guy who told me Nuno Gomes was going to either Fiorentina or AC Milan before I read about it on onefootball.com.

He said Inter Milan before calciomercato reported this today. I don't know where Rocco gets his sources but he seems to know these things before they are reported even in the Italian or Portuguese papers (even before onefootball)

What do you guys think? He's a goner! I'm pissed. I was really hoping to see him blossom at Sporting but this isn't going to happen.

While I'm at it, he says Ricardo Quaresma will be playing for Juventus before we can draw our next breath.

This really gets to me 'cause these talented young players are not
allowed to blossom like Figo did at Sporting or Rui did at Benfica. The big teams want them before this happens so they can cash in.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2001, 02:11
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Discouraging news, for sure, but I'll need more than your friend Rocco before I get too upset.

I don't know what sort of contract Viana has, but Quaresma has a $25 mil buy out clause. I wonder what sort of clause Viana has. I know both guys will leave SCP eventually, but I can't see them leaving now and getting anything out of it besides a lot of bench warming assignments.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2001, 16:45
Star Player

I know SCP is in the process of restructering Viana's contract now same as they did with Ricardo.

-I'm sure SCP isn't going to let Viana go for peanuts that's for sure!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2001, 17:51
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Let's hope not.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2001, 19:52
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP, Portugal, US National Team
Hey Fee-Go, you better go feed your buddy some crow, cause Viana is going Nowhere!

He just inked a 3 year extension to his contract with a Portuguese record US$25+ million release clause!!

Viva Sporting - 2001/2002 League Champions!!!

2002/03 Xtratime Fantasy Football Champion - Viva Sagres & Bifanas!!!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old December 11th, 2001, 03:47
Star Player

One of the Milan teams can afford anything Sporting throws at them.

BTW, Viana must be an amazing prospect if Oliveira had so much enthusiasm and actually publicly praised the youngster. Then he goes further by calling him up for the Angola game.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old December 11th, 2001, 12:59
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I saw him start a couple of matches for Sporting and he was very solid in the midfield and put together some nice passing combos. It was good stuff. Especially for a kid.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2001, 09:26
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
on calciomercato, i've read that INTER were interested in him...but i haven't seen him play b4...is he really good?? what position does he play?? how old is he??

thanks..

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2001, 11:21
Rising Star

Well people like to say Viana is the future Rui Costa, that's how good he looks... He's only 18.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2001, 19:53
Premier Player

H.V

sure lots of teams are intrested he is young and a great player but i think sporting will keep him another year.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2001, 23:29
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Hugo Viana Absolved

Article.

According to the official site, Viana has been absolved for his foul on Andrade in the recent classico and will not be suspended or fined. The article says he faced a possible 1-5 game ban and a fine of up to 100 thousand contos (don't know what that is in dollars).

Good news for Sporting since this kid is rapidly becoming a midfield stalwart. Finally, we seem to have somebody who can do what Delfim and Duscher did for us in our championship season.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2001, 15:32
Star Player

Are you sure it is 100,000 contos? I think that works out to alot. As far as I know 1000 escudos is 1 conto. 1000 escudos works out to approximately $4.41062 U.S. (todays estimate) So $4.41062x100,000=$441,062

That's impossible. I went wrong somewhere. But if 1000 escudos is one conto then I'm right.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2002, 17:21
Star Player

Hugo Viana: Under 21 European Player of the Year

You all may have heard of this by now but I feel it deserves a thread of its own. Hugo Viana was chosen as Under-21 European Player of the Year by Calciomanager. He was selected by mostly Serie A coaches all over Italy but also from France and Germany as well.

Hugo Viana is quickly becoming a force in European football and there's no one prouder out there than us. So, raise your glasses and have a drink to this young player.

Forca Sporting! Like Dae said, Sporting is quickly developing a rep for being a world class player factory. Next on the list: Ricardo Quaresma.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2002, 18:33
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Re: Hugo Viana: Under 21 European Player of the Year

Quote:
Originally posted by Fee-Go

Forca Sporting! Like Dae said, Sporting is quickly developing a rep for being a world class player factory. Next on the list: Ricardo Quaresma.

Unfortunately, this is one industry where exporting is not always the most beneficial to the home product. :irritate:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in