Sporting vs Uniăo Leiria - 2001/02 Portuguese League - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2001, 18:54 Thread Starter
Star Player

Sporting vs Uniăo Leiria - 2001/02 Portuguese League

Jardel and Barbosa to play against Leiria on Saturday

Since JVP and R. Jorge are suspended against Leiria then it looks like Jardel will get the opportunity to play his first game for Sporting on Saturday!

Jardel has been training with a sweatshirt so as to lose the extra couple pounds he gained and he also scored 6 goals in training yesterday!

You'd think Jardel was the highlight of practice but Quaresma hit 9 goals during some drill! Here's how I'd like to see it!

-----------Nelson--------------

Prates--Beto--Cruz---Quiroga

-------------Diogo-------------

Filipe-----Barbosa------Quaresma

-----Jardel---------Niculae

Last edited by Filipe Reis; September 11th, 2008 at 11:28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2001, 19:28
Star Player

Quiroga left-back?
Diogo instead of P.Bento?

hmm I don't think so
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2001, 20:46 Thread Starter
Star Player

Why not? Rui Jorge is out I'd play Quiroga as my left back and Diogo hasn't played yet I wanna see what he has!

Here's a more likely lineup:

-----------Nelson--------------

Prates--Beto--Cruz---Dimas

-------------P. Bento-------------

Filipe-----Barbosa------Quaresma

-----Jardel---------Niculae

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2001, 21:20
Star Player

I just want to know where the hell you got the idea of Quiroga to left-back
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2001, 23:06
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by LuisPedroCat

I agree. Quiroga is a center back purely. Alc, your call of Dimas getting the nod makes more sense and is more probable.

As for Diogo, I too would like to see him play some, but Boloni has gone on the record as saying he was just about the worst player we have. He said that after the first couple of freindlies. I don't know what he feels now. I still think one of the Bentos is far safer and better a pick.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2001, 14:44 Thread Starter
Star Player

Why not play Quiroga at Left Back? Boloni has played Quiroga as a Defensive Mid. in a friendly and Luis Filipe as a right or was it left back also! I think that you've got to put your best players on the field. With no Rui Jorge why not stick Quiroga there I'm sure he can handle it!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2001, 14:45 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by LuisPedroCat
Why the Hell not! It makes sense to me! It would be a good way to give him some playing time. Real Madrid is interested in him he must of done something right last season in Napoli!

Last edited by ALCATRAZ; September 6th, 2001 at 14:48.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2001, 15:33
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Center back and Right back are two totally different positions, so it's not such a simple transition. That's why Quiroga as a wingback might not work.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2001, 16:56 Thread Starter
Star Player

That's where I'd stick him to get him some work maybe that's why I'm not a coach! Wing Backs attack up the sidelines I've never seen Quiroga's ball skills but it was just a suggestion!

I've seen Beto come up allot and even make runs up the middle of the field and he's a Central defender!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2001, 17:25
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

True, often a central defender will bring the ball up if he has the room and time, but that's different than the wing backs running the flanks and being a consistent force in the offense (as well as the defense). But who knows, maybe Quiroga can run the wing. I don't think he ever has, but that doesn't mean he can't if he's skilled enough.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2001, 17:40 Thread Starter
Star Player

I'm sure Quiroga will not be playing wing back but it was just a suggestion. I'm just surprised he hasn't broke into the starting 11 yet, I thought we'd be seeing Beto and Quiroga not Beto and Cruz. After all I heard about Quiroga at Napoli and Real wanting him I thought he'd be a on our team.

...and is it me or has Beto not been as solid so far this year? Maybe he just needs to regain his form. Even yesterday his performance on the NT was shaky at best!

Also i'm loving the Flanks with Quaresma and Filipe with Jardel and Niculae as strikers not to mention Barbosa playing the middle who can cross like a mofo. But before I talk lets see how this all works out against Leiria!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2001, 17:58
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I agree. I also thought Quiroga would get a spot instead of Cruz. Beto has been good, imo, but I have a feeliung he's busy trying to make up for Cruz's and the DMs' mistakes.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2001, 01:24
Star Player

maybe the formation would be this one, I really think Boloni is going to replace Cruz:

Nélson
Prates, Beto, Quiroga, Dimas
P.Bento, R.Bento
L.Filipe, P.Barbosa, Quaresma
Niculae
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2001, 10:34
Rising Star

If Boloni did not want to start Dimas he would play Babb or Cruz on the left!
and if it's Cruz move Quiroga to the middle!
though i doubt that he will not play Dimas!
I think the starting xi will be like this
________________Nelson________________
Prates_____Beto__________Cruz_____Dimas
______________P&R Bento_______________
Filipe______________________________Tello
___________Jardel_____Niculae___________

if we don't break through he will put Quaresma on the left and put Tello in the middle . Taking out a Bento!
or put Barbosa on to play in the middle!

Anyway this should be a easy victory i hope!
and the next games will start becoming major hidings!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2001, 13:58
Star Player

Luis Felipe is one of the best young players we have today. Probably second next to Quaresma. My question is this: why hasn't he earned a spot on the under 21 or National Team squad? Is he over 21...is that it?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2001, 14:06
Star Player

He hasn't got level to play at NT squad yet, he needs to get physically stronger. He doesn't play for under-21 squad because he had his time there and now they are giving a chance to Cândido Costa.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2001, 16:03 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quaresma will be the best one day mark my words! Why they don't choose him i don't know but I know that Quaresma is still only 17 years old if I'm not mistaken!

Believe you me Candido won't be able to carry Quaresma's jock strap in a few more years! Have you seen what this kid does with the ball? Have you seen his moves? No one has moves like him in Portugal! and very few other countries for that matter!
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2001, 16:21
International
International

Teams: Benfica, Portugal
I hate to disagree here...But I think Luis Felipe should be your right winger. Move Quaresma either to the left or to the bench for now. Luis Felipe last year at Braga was one of the best right wingers in Portugal...and that's because this guy has some of the sweetest crosses. He helped Feher tremendously. Now with Jardel in the area along with Niculae, this boy can become another Drulovic.

Quaresma doesn't have the crosses down yet. Btw Barbosa should play in JVP's slot as the attacking midfielder...or will it be Tello?

....There was also a conspiracy against Sporting to keep them out of 1st place by 26 points. The conspiracy is about to be revealed in a public judicial forum soon enough. It's hasn't anything to do with Golden whistles, but with Golden Showers, as Sporting Administration and coaching has conspired to piss all over themselves this season.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2001, 16:26 Thread Starter
Star Player

I agree! Quaresma is still young so he can sit then if we need a more of a punch then we could always bring him in on the right or the left!

I think Barbosa will start maybe in JVP's place with Quaresma/Tello on the left and Filipe on the right. We could use Barbosa in there and he can cross like a mofo!
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2001, 19:50
Rising Star

Filipe with Figo,Conceicao are the best Portuguese crosses of the ball!
Quaresma is not bad , but is not consistent!
Tello great crosser as well!
I don't think Barbosa or Jardel will start!
______________Niculae_____________
Qua____________Tello__________Filipe
should be something like that
against Alverca Filipe gave Nicu a great cross which he should have burried i don't thing Nicu could believe it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in