Liga 13/14 R 14| SPORTING 0-0 Nacional| Alvalade, 21.12.2013, 21:15 CET - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2013, 22:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Liga 13/14 R 14| SPORTING 0-0 Nacional| Alvalade, 21.12.2013, 21:15 CET

Liga Portuguesa 2013/2014

Round 14

Estádio José Alvalade, 21.12.2013, 21:15 CET
Ref: Manuel Mota (AF Braga)
38,624 att.

vs

SPORTING CP 0-0 Nacional

Starting line-up:
1 Rui Patrício
41 Cédric - 3 Maurício - 5 Marcos Rojo - 4 Jefferson
14 William Carvalho
8 André Martins - 23 Adrien
11 Diego Capel - 17 Fredy Montero - 18 Carrillo

Substitutions:
@ 45': 9 Slimani IN for 8 André Martins
@ 67': 28 Wilson Eduardo IN for 18 Carrillo
@ 83': 36 Carlos Mané IN for 11 Diego Capel

Subs not used:
22 Marcelo Boeck, 15 Eric Dier, 6 Vítor and 10 Gérson Magrão

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2013, 23:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I have been waiting for a game like this to happen since the season started. I am only surprised that it took so long to happen. To see Sporting being shamelessly robbed by the referees is nothing new but somehow this season we've managed to break the spell. It took a well orchestrated smear campaign led by the red/blue tabloids of Lisbon/Porto and the proximity of a clash between the two halves of our corrupt system that will unavoidably take points away from at least one of them, for old habits to come back to our pathetic little futebol.

Sporting didn't play well last night, that is a fact. The team didn't show enough energy and ideas to counter the well set defensive system of Nacional during the first half. Our wingers, both of them, were not active enough and were not supported enough by both full backs. It's also true that the Stoke City-like "legs first and ball afterwards" of Nacional's tackling didn't help as well as the clearly one-sided judgement of every single divided ball by the con artist that came from Braga.

The forced substitution of André Martins at half time, victim of one of the endless butcher tackles we've seen coming from the men from Madeira, did not help things in what respects the fluidity of our game. Leonardo Jardim opted for bringing in Slimani instead of the more logical option of Vítor. I understand why he did it because we needed a more direct approach towards the last third instead of a more stable and safe midfield game. The problem is that using two strikers involves a permanent support by the wings and that really didn't work last night. It always looked like if we could break Nacional would be thanks to a dead ball situation or to a well put cross.

We did manage to do it around the middle of the second half but our clean goal was denied by the ref. I didn't understand the reason why while watching it live at the stadium and now that I've seen several replays on TV, I go on not having a clue. Montero's slight shove on his marker is a perfectly normal situation inside the box during an attack/defense move, so much so that Nacional's defender did not even lose balance from it. Slimani's header is absolutely clean.

This Sporting is really shaking the rotten pillars of our futebol's system but they are still standing as we saw last night. Until when? Let's wait and see.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2013, 19:29
Premier Player
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
Lots of words to say that Sporting was incapable of overcoming a bad call to get 3 points.

“Despite popular belief, golf is not a waste of time.”
-Opening remark in Goofy's "How to Play Golf"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2013, 19:50 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXP103 View Post
Lots of words to say that Sporting was incapable of overcoming a bad call to get 3 points.
It was not only one bad call. It was a smart arse refereeing of that type that from the first divided ball we can see what's coming. Nacional should have got a rain of yellow cards after the way they've played in the first half and that goal is 100% clean.

On the other hand it's interesting to read and listen to the opinions of benfiquistas defending this referee. Let's see what they will say if, by a mere struck of luck, in the next round of the league they get one of those fruit and sweets ref in their game against Porto. Something tells me that their "pacifying attitude" towards the refs will somehow change.

Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2013, 20:15
Premier Player
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
As usual, you get emotional & rant. I'm not defending the ref. I am interested in seeing how SCP's attack looks without Martins.

“Despite popular belief, golf is not a waste of time.”
-Opening remark in Goofy's "How to Play Golf"

Last edited by AXP103; December 23rd, 2013 at 20:24.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2013, 21:56 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXP103 View Post
As usual, you get emotional & rant. I'm not defending the ref. I am interested in seeing how SCP's attack looks without Martins.
I wasn't ranting against you but yeah, Sweden didn't change my hot temper.

I think Vítor is a good replacement although he is less vertical in his style when compared with André Martins. It's not clear yet how long will be his absence but I guess it's not going to be longer than 1 or 2 weeks which means he will be available for the next league game.

Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2013, 20:35
Sportinguista
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP
I puked after watching this game, and only now have had the will to post.

absolutely disgusting refereeing.

"you deserved to be in a small cage and treated like the animals you are "

-Killa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in