Elections at Sporting, 23 March 2013 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2013, 10:39 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Elections at Sporting, 23 March 2013

A bit less than two years after the last time Sporting's sócios were called to chose who should lead the club, we are back to the ballots.

Godinho Lopes managed the unthinkable: he could be even a worse president than José Eduardo Bettencourt. He failed all his electoral promises, something that could only surprise those deluded idiots that expected a list full of big egos and void of any sort of strategy to lead the club back to the top. He refused the label of "candidate of the status quo" but he did all he could to prove himself wrong. He increased the already humongous deficit, he bought a shit load of foreign players with the help of very dubious third party funds, he fired three coaches, he saw virtually all his board members resigning one after the other, and he leaves the club 6 points adrift from the 5th place, its worst ever league table position.

Nevertheless Sporting is still alive. Through the initiative of two young sócios, a petition was made to call for an extraordinary general assembly with the sole purpose of kicking out the board of directors. When the president realised that he was going to suffer an humiliating defeat, he agreed to resign and call for new elections.

What is impressive is that after all this there are still people in the club that are afraid of change. Surely those that since 1995 have transformed the club into a playground of shady deals are not interested to see the golden eggs' hen being slaughtered. They are even less interested in having a real audit being made to all the dodgy financial transactions cooked during the last 18 years. The banks are obviously even less interested in losing their grip over the club and last but not the least, FC Porto would hate to see their strategy of weakening one of the two Lisbon rivals crumbling like a sand castle.

All the above will surely present a candidate, who will no doubt be disguised as "independent and credible". They will use their usual dirty propaganda machine helped by just about all the big media outlets in the country. In the end if that fails, they will try the last resource, the same one used to win the last elections, "tuning" the ballots.

The opposition will once again be divided and I wouldn't be surprised that 4 or 5 candidates will appear, but the only real alternative seems to be once again the young Bruno de Carvalho. In the last elections he got more sócios voting for him than for the elected president, but the ludicrous voting rights system and the above mentioned last minute "tuning" of the ballot boxes denied him victory. Yesterday he announced to the press that he will run again but this time he will not introduce any new coach nor players. It remains to be seen if he will say who will be the investors that will inject the very necessary cash into the club. If he fails to do it I don't think he will have many chances.

It will be an historical day for the club, no matter what happens.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2013, 18:15
Sportinguista
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP
I think not naming coaches and players is good , it will just turn it into a pissing contest. Godinho won last elections in part to brining in Luis duque Carlos freitas and Domingo's paciencia.
Even without investors he is who I support because he seems very intelligent and dedicated to the club and under him
I have no doubts sporting will gain autonomy and a clear project

"you deserved to be in a small cage and treated like the animals you are "

-Killa
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2013, 09:38 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

For the huge disappointment of those that want to keep the bank in charge of Sporting, Luís Figo announced today that he will not be a candidate to the presidency of the club nor he will support any of the candidates.

I guess this means they will have to bet on Couceiro.

Quem não tem cão...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2013, 15:21
Premier Player
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis View Post
For the huge disappointment of those that want to keep the bank in charge of Sporting, Luís Figo announced today that he will not be a candidate to the presidency of the club nor he will support any of the candidates.
Figo has never come across to me as someone who was sentimental about anything besides his paycheck. Without a deep love of club, what is his motivation to try and revitalize SCP? Especially since he is not lacking for investment opportunity. That was one rumor that didn't sound right from the beginning.

“Despite popular belief, golf is not a waste of time.”
-Opening remark in Goofy's "How to Play Golf"
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2013, 17:49 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXP103 View Post
Figo has never come across to me as someone who was sentimental about anything besides his paycheck. Without a deep love of club, what is his motivation to try and revitalize SCP? Especially since he is not lacking for investment opportunity. That was one rumor that didn't sound right from the beginning.
I completely agree with you. The point is that the interest never seemed to come from him but rather from those that are desperate not to lose control of the club, ie. Ricciardi and the rest of the lot.

Nelson Mandela
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old February 25th, 2013, 22:16
Sportinguista
Premier Player

So what do you think about the elections so far Filipe?

I really think Bruno de Carvalho is a big faviourte ,
He does not seem
To have real competition from
Couceiro or severino(who I think will be a non factor)

I'm sure Couceiro will get some
Votes but doubt he can win, and I hope he doesn't

-Killa
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2013, 01:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP-87 View Post
So what do you think about the elections so far Filipe?

I really think Bruno de Carvalho is a big faviourte ,
He does not seem
To have real competition from
Couceiro or severino(who I think will be a non factor)

I'm sure Couceiro will get some
Votes but doubt he can win, and I hope he doesn't
I'm going to be away from tomorrow for a week for work related reasons so I'm pretty busy right now but I'll be posting more often after that about the elections.

Still I can quickly answer by saying that obviously I hope Bruno de Carvalho can win although I wouldn't be so sure that Couceiro will not put up a fight. Not because of himself or his programme but simply because he is the man chosen by Roquette and the gang of thieves that has been robbing the club for the last 18 years to keep the status quo. He keeps repeating that he is "breaking with the past" but he is as convincing as a portista claiming that his club never cheated.

Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2013, 02:17
Sportinguista
Premier Player

okay , be safe on your work trip., I will try to post any election info I come across that seems worth posting.

-Killa
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old March 10th, 2013, 15:35
Sportinguista
Premier Player

What exactly does the roquette project entail?

From my understanding It
Means a a closer relationship with the banks ?

-Killa
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old March 13th, 2013, 20:45 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
What exactly does the roquette project entail?

From my understanding It
Means a a closer relationship with the banks ?
In theory "Projecto Roquette" was a plan to "modernize the club". On paper it looked good enough but the problem was the manner in which things were done and the actors involved. Basically, it's been 16 years of using a giant club with a centenary history and 3 and half million supporters to get as much money from it as possible. The luck of that scum is that this is happening in Portugal, a country where anybody with a suit and tie can commit whatever crime they wish with the certainty that there chances of being punished for it are close to zero.

Nelson Mandela
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old March 14th, 2013, 01:09
Sportinguista
Premier Player

thx, no doubt there are theives... I been reading that Sporting is late on payments of salary.. and godinho is trying to make sales in order to pay salaries..

Im really worried.. I hope BDC wins and can turn things around but I think it will be difficult.

-Killa
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old March 14th, 2013, 09:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
thx, no doubt there are theives... I been reading that Sporting is late on payments of salary.. and godinho is trying to make sales in order to pay salaries..

Im really worried.. I hope BDC wins and can turn things around but I think it will be difficult.
If you really want to have a clue of what is happening at Sporting don't read the mainstream media. They are interested in seeing Sporting going down and they've been doing a pretty good job at it during the last decade. Get yourself member of fans forums and read a couple of good fan blogs and you will be able to grasp the truth.

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2013, 20:09
Sportinguista
Premier Player

Quote:
If you really want to have a clue of what is happening at Sporting don't read the mainstream media. They are interested in seeing Sporting going down and they've been doing a pretty good job at it during the last decade. Get yourself member of fans forums and read a couple of good fan blogs and you will be able to grasp the truth.
I am
Pretty good at reading in portuguese
I like to read forum Scp and sportingapoio
Any others you recommend?

-Killa
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2013, 20:28 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
I am
Pretty good at reading in portuguese
I like to read forum Scp and sportingapoio
Any others you recommend?
Yes, those two are good, especially Forum SCP. As for the blogs the best is by very far "O Cacifo do Paulinho". Well written, funny and always spot on on his analysis. Sportingleaks on facebook is also an interesting page. As the name says it brings up loads of hidden shit from the last 16 years of roquettismo.

Nelson Mandela
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2013, 15:00 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

This Saturday we will have presidential elections at Sporting and this time the electoral campaign was very different from two years ago.

Less candidates, less promises, less noise.

It is, nevertheless, once again clear who is who amongst the candidates.

Carlos Severino. The jester. The former communication director of ex-president Dias da Cunha is the "outsider" that is, according to himself, an "insider". Keeps blabbing about having the support of Cruyff's football school, wants to copy Barcelona's model, talks a lot and says absolutely nothing.

José Couceiro. The eternal loser, ex-Porto coach, ex-Alverca coach when this club was owned by the current president of Benfica. Another one that recently found out that he is a great sportinguista. Incapable of making two sentences without reading the script, no doubt written by the same lot that helped Godinho Lopes and all the previous scum to get to power. Absolutely void of ideas, a perfect front man to the status quo.

Bruno de Carvalho. He is back, two years after having won the elections, even if that was not recognized by the club. He is more mature, more prepared and conscious of the fear that his more than probable victory is causing to those that have been ransacking the club for the last 16 years.

There is no doubt about who should win in order to bring Sporting up from this blueish green slimy puddle.

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2013, 16:46
Sportinguista
Premier Player

I hope BDC wins ,
I'll be extremely disappointed if he doesn't

-Killa
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2013, 00:41
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
From what I heard out of the 3 I would vote Coceiro if I was a Sporting fan, I think he knows more football and can bring your team back in a couple of years.
Godinho...... what a mistake
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:29 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa View Post
From what I heard out of the 3 I would vote Coceiro if I was a Sporting fan, I think he knows more football and can bring your team back in a couple of years.
Godinho...... what a mistake
I am sure that all benfiquistas and portistas will be rooting for Couceiro. A man that proved over and over again how much he knows about football.

Nelson Mandela
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2013, 14:01
Sportinguista
Premier Player

And so today is election day

-Killa
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2013, 16:25
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
Quote:
I am sure that all benfiquistas and portistas will be rooting for Couceiro. A man that proved over and over again how much he knows about football.

I don't know why you would think that, it's true that there are a lot of "Sporting" fans that are only Anti-Benfica, I don't think people from my club are "Anti-Sporting", I think that some don't care if your club goes to the 4th division and some just don't really much much about anything.

I for one would like to see Sporting back up along with a strong Braga, Boavista, Guimaraes, etc so that our league isn't this two team race that in the end isn't worth crap.

From what I've seen Couceiro seems to know what he's doing, but in the end my guess is probably as good as yours as these guys are just politicians and we don't know how good they'll be until they're in there.

So that you know I don't even hate the club up north, I just hate the their leader because of the violence he has started and all of the corruption but in the end we all need each other in order to have a strong league.

My thoughts post election: don't spend as much, your payroll might be as high as Benfica's without the talent, that's Gordinho's fault. Get rid of most of the old guys, keep only a couple to help out the guys from the Academia and accept that you'll be 2-4 years without competing for the title but getting your "home" ready for a push, kids make less money and will be hungry, if someone wants them they have to pay.

Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in