EL 12/13, Group G| FC Basel 3-0 SPORTING|St. Jakobs Park, 22.11.2012, 19:00 CET - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 17:45 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
EL 12/13, Group G| FC Basel 3-0 SPORTING|St. Jakobs Park, 22.11.2012, 19:00 CET

Do or die time, or "mata mata" as Scolari would say. There is not much to say about this one. If we win and if Videoton doesn't beat Genk in the other group game. we will have our future in Europe in ouir hand in the last group game home against the Hungarians of Paulo Sousa. If we have any other result we're out. In spite of the good show against Braga I am still not very optimistic about this one but I hope we'll make it.

Line-up:

Rui Patrício

Cédric - Xandão - Marcos Rojo - Insúa

Gelson Fernandes - Elias

Diego Capel ------------ Pranjic

van Wolfswinkel - Labyad

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 18:09 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Crap defending from Gelson but Rui saved well.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 18:20 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Poor first 15' from Sporting, giving the initiative to the Swiss and not being able to attack in any way. Patrício once again saved well from a dangerous shot outside the box.

Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 18:20 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Genk scores at Videoton. Good news.

Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 18:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

1-0 to Basel at 24' after a corner. This was obviously coming and now I really don't believe we will win this one.

Nelson Mandela
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 18:39 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Great chance for van Wolfs after a gift by Basel but Sommer had a great save.

Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 18:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Basel 1-0 Sporting at HT

Poor first half from us managing to create only one chance which was offered by Basel's defence. Not sure what Vercauteren was expecting with the choices of Gelson and Labyad there.

Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 19:09 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Great chance by Elias after a superb move by Labyad on the right wing.

Nelson Mandela
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 19:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

We are slightly better in this second half but it's still Basel that creates danger and Alex Frei was now denied by Patrício.

Right afterwards at 59' Cabral, who was on a yellow, sees a second yellow and we will be the ones to have one man advantage for a change.

Nelson Mandela
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 19:18 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

At 60' Carrillo replaces Labyad on our first sub.

Nelson Mandela
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 19:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

At 66' Stocker makes it 2-0 after a good combination on the left, and also after we did some nice eye defending. Bye bye Europe.

Betinho replaces Gelson. Yeah, now he is bold.

Nelson Mandela
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 19:27 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Handball of a Basel defender inside his box but the ref deems it to be unintentional.

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 19:30 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

At 70' David Degen makes it 3-0 after a corner...for Sporting. The keeper launched a long pass and nobody was covering our back. Unbelievable.

Nelson Mandela
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 19:31
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Yikes.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 19:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

To make things even better this ref is not giving us anything. Two clear fouls close to Basel's box waved on.

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 19:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

At 90'+3' Carrillo makes a Messiesque run dribbling half their team but their keeper is a very good one and saved.

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 19:54 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

FC Basel 3-0 Sporting - FT

Another soulless performance in this horrendous 12/13 European campaign. We've started the match looking like we could go through with a draw, with no attacking intent whatsoever and with a very nervous and leaky defense.

Basel is not that much of a side but tonight they must have felt like the club that their founder Joan Gamper helped to form in Barcelona more than 100 years ago.

A fair result crowning a pathetic display.

Nelson Mandela
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2012, 19:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Chin up, my boy. Onward and upward.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2012, 16:07
Sportinguista
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP
The season is officially lost, 1 month before xmas, think we set a new record this season that not even 09/10 or 10/11 could ever match in their wildest dreams.

All I hope now is 1. We finish as high as possible in the league 2. We do not get relegated 3. Godinho Lopes and his band of 40 thieves leave the club 4. we get a proper president and some competent directors 5. we shuffle the deck and regroup for next season.

Ive liked Franky's work so far but it is mind boggling to me why he would play ELIAS and GELSON together in midfield? So we can have zero intelligence and creativity in midfield? wayward passes and chickens-with-head-cut-off running ? This was evident as anything remotely threatening this game game through our disjointed wingplay, with Diego Capel the only one not making a fool of himself and the club. Schaars is injured I believe thats probably why but to me our best option is still to go with Rinaudo/Schaars as that combo worked very well for much of last season. the 3rd component is anyones guess but I know it definitely isnt Gelson who has surpassed my expectations this season for the negative.

"you deserved to be in a small cage and treated like the animals you are "

-Killa
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2012, 16:33 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP-87 View Post
The season is officially lost, 1 month before xmas, think we set a new record this season that not even 09/10 or 10/11 could ever match in their wildest dreams.

All I hope now is 1. We finish as high as possible in the league 2. We do not get relegated 3. Godinho Lopes and his band of 40 thieves leave the club 4. we get a proper president and some competent directors 5. we shuffle the deck and regroup for next season.

Ive liked Franky's work so far but it is mind boggling to me why he would play ELIAS and GELSON together in midfield? So we can have zero intelligence and creativity in midfield? wayward passes and chickens-with-head-cut-off running ? This was evident as anything remotely threatening this game game through our disjointed wingplay, with Diego Capel the only one not making a fool of himself and the club. Schaars is injured I believe thats probably why but to me our best option is still to go with Rinaudo/Schaars as that combo worked very well for much of last season. the 3rd component is anyones guess but I know it definitely isnt Gelson who has surpassed my expectations this season for the negative.
Schaars was suspended for this game, he is not injured. In any case I agree with you that it's very strange to face a decisive game like the one we had yesterday with Gelson as DM instead of Rinaudo and Labyad instead of Carrillo.

I still think it's exaggerated to claim, like even today we've heard from the usual green parrots, that most of the current players are not good enough for us, but it's more than obvious that in spite of all the masses of players bought by Freitas/Duque, they made a colossal mistake on not being able to buy a replacement to Matías and a bloody striker that can pair up with or replace RvW.

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in