Xtratime Community banner

Liga 12/13, J3| Marítimo 1-1 SPORTING| Funchal, 16.09.2012, 21:15 CET

1K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  Filipe Reis 
#1 ·
After a long international break Sporting is back in action for the league trying to get the first win. Marítimo away is always one of the toughest fixtures for any of the top sides of our football but in this start of season the side from Madeira showed being still far from last year's form. Sá Pinto knows that this is a must win game but he also knows that even if he loses tonight he has the support of a Board that simply can't fire him.

We are still missing Rinaudo and Schaars and to make things worse Boulahrouz got a slight knock that made him unavailable for tonight's tough game. There are doubts on whether it will be Carriço or Xandão to replace him in the centre of our defence. The good news are that Izmailov is fit and has been called for this game but apart from the absence of Boula I doubt Sá Pinto will make any changes to the usual XI.

One final note to the ref carefully picked by the league to this game. Xistra will be which means we will be playing against 14.

Players called:

Goalkepeers: Rui Patrício and Marcelo Boeck;

Defenders: Cédric, Xandão, Daniel Carriço, Marcos Rojo and Insúa;

Midfielders: Gelson Fernandes, Elias, André Martins, Izmailov, Pranjic and Adrien;

Forwards: Jeffrén, Labyad, Carrillo, Ricky van Wolfswinkel, Viola and Diego Capel.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Official line-up is out with one surprise...

Rui Patrício

Cédric - Xandão - Marcos Rojo - Pranjic

Elias - Gelson Fernandes

Carrillo - Adrien - Izmailov

Ricky van Wolfswinkel

Good to see Xandão was the one chosen to replace Boulahrouz and also great to see Izmailov back in action although I would have preferred to see him replacing Adrien and not Capel.

#7 ·
0-0 at HT.

I felt you got better as the half went on, after starting the game off quite slowly. Lots of room being given to Sami and Heldon on the counterattacks, will need to be careful with that.

Ricky is just invisible out there, not good enough lately. He's really not helping his own case fighting the media critics about Sporting needing a striker. Dude is just nowhere to be seen.

I've liked Cedric, Adrien, and Elias. Carrillo hot and cold, needs to find some consistency.

#9 ·
Ricky is just invisible out there, not good enough lately. He's really not helping his own case fighting the media critics about Sporting needing a striker. Dude is just nowhere to be seen.
I've said it before and I keep believing that RvW is not the type of striker to play on its own upfront. He is no Liedson. He is the typical forward that needs a second striker and although we don't have too many options upfront we do have players that could do that role (Viola, Labyad and even Jeffrén). The trouble is Sá Pinto and that is our main problem this season.

#8 ·
Unfortunately this long break in the league didn't seem to change one bit the atrocious lack of ideas of Sá Pinto. The tactics are the same (4x2x3x1), which is in itself a mistake, and tonight an added shot on the foot: bringing Izmailov from a long absence supposedly to replace Capel on the left wing. The Russian simply can't play there which means we were playing without a left wing. Fortunately our defence keeps delivering, with Xandão and Pranjic managing very well to replace Boulahrouz and Insúa, which means we managed to sustain the few dangerous attacks from Marítimo. The best goal chance was ours, by Cedric from a corner, but that's obviously not enough. I bet Capel will end up coming in but let's see if that will be enough.

#11 ·
Izmailov playing where he should always be, as number 10, brings a sweet killer pass that isolates van Wolfswinkel and the Iceman does what he knows well to do. 1-0 for us at 55'.

#13 ·
What a chance for the 2-0! Capel finishes a great move, the keeper holds the ball but slides with it inside the goal. It's not clear whether the ball crosses entirely the goal line.

#14 ·
Another huge chance for us with Carrillo breaking all the defenders on the right wing and Ricky missing the finish. It's all Sporting in this second half.

#18 ·
A very different second half with Sporting looking like we really were more interested to win the match rather than not losing it. Our goal came naturally and there were plenty of chances to extend the lead. Marítimo tried to react even if never showing the same danger. The equalizer came 4 minutes from time from a direct free kick and that's always very hard to swallow. I guess it's a punishment for what we didn't do in the first half and for the many chances missed in the second.

Carrillo was our best player tonight. Good game also by Elias and Cedric, attacking mainly.

Sá Pinto is not disappointing me because I never expected him to have enough quality to be our first coach.

#19 ·
Good result, getting a point on the road against a decent Maritimo side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.