Liga 11/12, R14|SPORTING 0-0 FC Porto| Alvalade, 07.01.2012, 21:15 CET - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old January 6th, 2012, 22:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Liga 11/12, R14|SPORTING 0-0 FC Porto| Alvalade, 07.01.2012, 21:15 CET

Liga ZON Sagres 2011/12
Round 14

Saturday, 7 January 2012, 21:15 CET
Estádio José Alvalade, Lisboa

SPORTING CP vs FC Porto

vs

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old January 6th, 2012, 22:58 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I've been waiting for this one for months as I knew that the usual post-holidays match that I get to see when I'm in Lisbon would this time be a clássico against the pork bowels eaters.

It's going to be a decisive game for us as if we lose it we can kiss the league goodbye. A draw would also most probably leave us out of a title challenge that, to be honest, at the beginning of the current season, not even the most optimistic of us sportinguistas could have realistically thought to be on at this stage, after what happened in the last two seasons in our club. A win would reduce to 3 skinny points the disadvantage towards Porto and would be a huge tonic for the team.

Porto is playing the card of putting the whole pressure of the game in our shoulders but deep inside Vitor 'Piroso' Pereira's small head he knows that if they lose tomorrow their season will slowly but steadily go down the drain.

We have therefore all the necessary added ingredients to make of this a huge game...can't wait!

Domingos called no less than 4 players who were absent from the last league call, three of them due to long term injuries, Izmailov, Matías and Jeffrén, and one because he is debuting for the first team after his successful loan at Cercle Brugge, Renato Neto. Rumours say that he might give a place in the starting XI to Izmailov, a player that loves to beat and score against this lot.

Here's the complete list of players called:

Goalkeepers: Rui Patrício and Marcelo Boeck.

Defenders: Anderson Polga, Oguchi Onyewu, Evaldo, Santiago Arías, João Pereira and Emiliano Insúa.

Midfielders: Diego Capel, Stijn Schaars, Renato Neto, André Santos, Matías Fernández, Marat Izmailov, André Martins and Elias.

Forwards: André Carrilllo, Valeri Bojinov, Jeffrén and Ricky van Wolfswinkel.

Small details usually are decisive in these matches. I just hope that the referee is at the level of the two teams and that our finishing in front of goal improves from the last few games. If these two things happen I am sure we will win this one.

FORÇA SPORTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fero:

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2012, 17:37
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
força sporting

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2012, 17:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inácio View Post
força sporting
Go take a bath, you must feel dirty.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2012, 18:02
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
Go take a bath, you must feel dirty.

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2012, 18:50
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
... ... ...
oinc oinc
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2012, 21:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Porto had the stronger start but Sporting got into it in the 2nd half of the first half.

Would like Matias Fernandez to come on at some point

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2012, 15:54
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2012, 20:00 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I'm back in Sweden and only now had the chance to write a few lines about the match.

It's always great to watch your team playing live and when a game had the importance of this one it's even better. At the end of it I was of course disappointed because of the result and also because Sporting did not dare enough to win a very winnable clássico but to be very honest I am not too surprised with the way the game went.

I've said it several times at the beginning of this season and I still feel the same way - this is the first year of a completely new team and only some very naive or uber-optimistic fans could expect us to win the league already this season. Domingos is doing wonders in such a short period of time and in this game, even with some players showing a worst form than the one they've already showed earlier this season, we've managed to equal, and in some periods of the game to better, the same team (bar Falcao and AVB) that had a super season last year, the same team to which we finished the season 36 points behind.

We didn't start the game well, showing the same problems that we've been showing since Rinaudo got injured. We lack a key player that can bring the ball from the defence without resorting to the sterile long balls à la Polga. Our game suffers a lot from it and Domingos still couldn't find an antidote to this poison. Renato Neto was a good option in my opinion for the DM problem but the kid just arrived so it was silly to expect more than what he did. Around the middle of the first half we balanced the game and Polga created the first real goal chance forcing Helton to the save of the night after a great header from a corner. Before that van Wolfswinkel also missed a free header in what would be the first of quite a few bad actions of the Dutchman in this game. He is indeed a very good striker but he is no Liedson, at least not yet. At 23, Ricky's age, Liedson was not yet a professional footballer.

We came better in the second half and the introduction of Matias and Izmailov were crucial to balance the game in our favour. These two guys are great players and this game justshowed how much we have been missing them due to their constant injuries. It's true that Porto also had their chances but nothing compared to that ride of Matias on the right side of Porto's defence, right in front of the sector where I was sitting, that unfortunately Marat couldn't finish with more than a weak shot which was saved on the goal line by Alvaro Pereira's foot. This was the 83rd minute and that would have decided the game. Still I accept the draw as a far result even if it was hard not to get 3 points that we could have perfectly grabbed.

The future in the current season for us should be to focus in getting the second place as the first is now too far. I think that is feasible. We will not go that far in Europe, as I do feel Man City is too strong for both Porto and ourselves. That will leave us with enough space to concentrate in the league and I do feel we can reach the second place.

Nelson Mandela
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2012, 15:06
Premier Player
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis View Post
The future in the current season for us should be to focus in getting the second place as the first is now too far. I think that is feasible. We will not go that far in Europe, as I do feel Man City is too strong for both Porto and ourselves. That will leave us with enough space to concentrate in the league and I do feel we can reach the second place.
For a 2nd place run to happen, have to win at Braga. Can't expect Porto to drop 9+ points in the 2nd half.

“Despite popular belief, golf is not a waste of time.”
-Opening remark in Goofy's "How to Play Golf"
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2012, 18:37 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXP103 View Post
For a 2nd place run to happen, have to win at Braga. Can't expect Porto to drop 9+ points in the 2nd half.
A win at Braga is important no doubt but I was far from impressed with what Porto did so far. Let's also see what happens until the end of the month in terms of ins and outs for them as that may have a crucial impact in the rest of their season.

Nelson Mandela
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2012, 21:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Match highlights:

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2012, 21:25 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in