Jorge Mendes and Pini Zahavi - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2010, 20:18 Thread Starter
Sportinguista
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP
Jorge Mendes and Pini Zahavi

so Sporting apparently is working with two of the biggest agents in footballl (Jorge Mendes and Pini Zahavi) to help plan the team for the 2010/11 season.

Are they just trying to ship everyone out? .. im worried I doubt these agents care about the club only the bottom line bettencourt and costinha better know what they are doing and I dont think guys like carrico should leave he is the future.

"you deserved to be in a small cage and treated like the animals you are "

-Killa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2010, 00:13
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
It's a big risk for Sporting but one that they will have to take if they hope to have any chance of catching up with the rivals. The football will be run by the trinity Bettencourt-Costinha-Jorge Mendes with the famous agent having a key role in who comes and goes.

The benefits are obvious, Jorge Mendes is a big name in the business and can get some big names to come to Sporting. On the other hand, he's in it for the money so expect some comissions to go his way and some pressure to sell - because he'll make money with transactions going both ways.

Sporting's manager will have to be one who accepts this hierarchy where he isn't the one making all the decisions regarding transfers. To make things worse, players from other agents, like Izmailov, will hardly have a future in the club.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2010, 09:55
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Sporting's main problem is "simply" how to find a balance between the huge financial deficit that the club needs to get rid of in order to go on existing and the incredible amount of pressure surrounding the club, internally and externally, in order to win trophies.

Huge clubs have huge problems and that is not only a fact in Portugal. Even recently when Benfica played Liverpool, there was an interesting article on 'P˙blico' (a fairly unbiased and professional paper, on the contrary to the sports ones we have these days), comparing the debts of the top 3 Portuguese clubs and those of the EPL. The author of the article was not pointing out magical solutions but simply stating an obvious fact that is so often forgotten in our lovely little country...our clubs have a very limited capacity to make money and the only significant source of income has to come through selling players - it doesn't matter if we are talking about Sporting, Benfica or Porto.

I also would prefer to see Sporting keeping our young players because I do believe that is the correct way for a football club to act...just look at Barša's example. Unfortunately we do not have an entire nation, and a rich one too, behind us like they do, so we'll have to sell. In that view I prefer to see us linked with people like Jorge Mendes, who is one of the top, if not the top football agent in the world, than with leeches like the Paulo Barbosas of this world.

About the names of those going out I think Miguel Veloso is the obvious number one candidate and I wouldn't be surprised if Moutinho goes too. I am not so sure about Carrišo leaving.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.ö
Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in