CL Playoff: SPORTING 2-2 Fiorentina, 1st leg; Alvalade, 18 August 2009 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2009, 23:10 Thread Starter
Sportinguista
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP
CL Playoff: SPORTING 2-2 Fiorentina, 1st leg; Alvalade, 18 August 2009

big game tomorrow

but Matias will likely be starting and Caicedo is ready for selection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 01:50
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
I'm actually torn on this one, on one side I'd like to see a Portuguese team do well since i don't have any inferior complexes, but on the other i see people like SCP-87 and Filipe always talking bad about my team no matter what.
I don't even have to root for Viola, i've seen enough of Sporting to see that the team has no structure and will lose the game by themselves.

Last edited by killa; August 18th, 2009 at 01:56. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 02:22
Forum Manager
Star Player

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 06:34 Thread Starter
Sportinguista
Premier Player

well we will see what happenes. they can be happy all they want. but Sporting has a talented team and tomorrow in front of our own fans I think we will have a better improvement. BP will start at RB, matias and vuk will start. caicedo is available for selection.

btw I saw Fiorentina's recent results and they have lost a few games as well. we did not lose any games recently. if the penalty went in vs Twente it would have been a different game most likely a 2-0 home victory but I guess when its Benfica vs MAritimo its ok to tie and miss a penalty and still be the greatest team in the universe.

Last edited by SCP-87; August 18th, 2009 at 06:44.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 08:34
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa View Post
I'm actually torn on this one, on one side I'd like to see a Portuguese team do well since i don't have any inferior complexes, but on the other i see people like SCP-87 and Filipe always talking bad about my team no matter what.
I don't even have to root for Viola, i've seen enough of Sporting to see that the team has no structure and will lose the game by themselves.
It's good to know that you'll root for us. At least that makes a difference from the overwhelming majority of your club's fans. Maybe you aren't aware of that but now that you know perhaps you can find an answer for the question that is tearing you apart: "why do people talk bad about the greatest club in the universe??"

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 08:38
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL vs ACF Fiorentina

Estádio José Alvalade, Lisbon - 20:45 CET

Sporting wary of Viola menace
Monday 17 August 2009
uefa.com Match preview

Sporting Clube de Portugal coach Paulo Bento admitted his team would have to step up a gear if they are to put aside their poor record against Serie A opposition and gain a first-leg advantage against play-off rivals ACF Fiorentina in Lisbon.

Quotes:

Paulo Bento, Sporting coach
We want to win over the fans, we are not performing well and they
are not happy. To win without conceding would be ideal but if not, a 0-0 would not be a bad result. We will be facing a good side with strong collective organisation. Defensively they are always strong with good players up front. Against Italian sides having the ball is not a sign of control. They don't do that much but are always a step away from scoring and we have to prevent that by defending properly. Our aim is to impose our style of play and when we don't have the play to stop their key men giving us problems.

Cesare Prandelli, Fiorentina coach
We respect Sporting a lot. They have 50 years of history in European football. It will be an open tie and we don't feel we are favourites. Sporting play vertical football with lots of possession in midfield – they have good midfielders and attackers who play from deep. We are wary of them as a team rather than of any specific players, although they do have quality individuals. We've prepared in pre-season for these two matches and are very motivated to win through. With our new tactical approach [Cristiano Zanetti in place of Adrian Mutu] the team is better balanced and able to move the ball more quickly.

Key stats

• Sporting have a miserable record against Italian sides having won just four of 23 matches. They at least boast the upper hand at home courtesy of three wins, six draws and two defeats.

• Fiorentina's record in Portugal reads one win, no draws and two losses, and they have prevailed in just one two-legged tie against a Portuguese club, beating SL Benfica 2-1 on aggregate in the 1996/97 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup.

• Sporting are bidding to make their fourth consecutive group-stage appearance and have featured in the group stage five times overall. Their only previous experience of progressing through the qualifiers came against Beitar Jerusalem FC in 1997/98, while their two failures came against Italian sides – Udinese in 2005/06 and Inter three years before that.

• Fiorentina have twice appeared in the group stage, earning their place through qualifying on both occasions. They overcame SK Slavia Praha last season and RTS Widzew Łódź in 1999/2000.

How they reached the play-offs

• Runners-up in the Portuguese Liga last term, Sporting opened their bid against FC Twente in the third qualifying round. Following a goalless first leg in Lisbon, Twente took an early lead in the Netherlands but Sporting advanced on away goals after Peter Wisgerhof put through his own net in added time to make it 1-1.

• Prandelli's men booked their play-off round place by finishing fourth in Serie A last season, above Genoa CFC courtesy of a better head-to-head record.

Injury news

Sporting
Out: Marat Izmailov (tendinitis)

Fiorentina
Out: José Ignacio Castillo (meniscus)

Disciplinary information

Sporting
Suspended: none
Misses next match if booked: Hélder Postiga, Miguel Veloso

Fiorentina
Suspended: none
Misses next match if booked: none

Last competitive results

15/08/09 CD Nacional 1-1 Sporting (Portuguese Liga)
(João Aurélio 27; João Aurélio og 75)

Fiorentina n/a

Did you know?

Sporting coach Paulo Bento played all 90 minutes and Viola striker Mutu was an unused substitute when Portugal downed Romania 1-0 at UEFA EURO 2000™.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 08:42
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I am not optimistic about this round and I think that Fiorentina are the favourites. Still, if Paulo Bento stops inventing new tactical systems and sends Abel and Rochemback to play for Olivais e Moscavide, I think we will at least have a chance to get something out of this tie.

Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 14:25
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis View Post
It's good to know that you'll root for us. At least that makes a difference from the overwhelming majority of your club's fans. Maybe you aren't aware of that but now that you know perhaps you can find an answer for the question that is tearing you apart: "why do people talk bad about the greatest club in the universe??"
You are wrong, I used to live in the greater Lisbon area and can tell you that most people would rather see a national team do well (excluding Porto). But your and scp-87's attitude make it so easy to root against you and wish you bad.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 17:30 Thread Starter
Sportinguista
Premier Player

Its too bad that izmailov is out. Vukcevic dosnt seem as effective covering for him over at LM
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 17:31 Thread Starter
Sportinguista
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis View Post
I am not optimistic about this round and I think that Fiorentina are the favourites. Still, if Paulo Bento stops inventing new tactical systems and sends Abel and Rochemback to play for Olivais e Moscavide, I think we will at least have a chance to get something out of this tie.
I dont think we should be so respectful of fiorentina. they have not been impressive at all up to this point either.

honestly I see this tie as 50/50
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 17:35 Thread Starter
Sportinguista
Premier Player

Quote:
You are wrong, I used to live in the greater Lisbon area and can tell you that most people would rather see a national team do well (excluding Porto). But your and scp-87's attitude make it so easy to root against you and wish you bad.
well your avatar and your signature attacks Sporting and Porto. Im not criticizing as my old avatar was poking fun at SLB but it looks like you dislike Sporting and Porto as well.

The problem I have with Benfica and Porto fans in respect to Sporting european games is this. when we win they say congrats and all of that but when we lose they will make endless jokes about us losing. it happenes with benfica and porto as well. I remember Benfiquistas in my city at the place I watched the game celebrating Sportings UEFA cup final defeat in 2005.

I support Sporting, ill leave it at that and for Portugal's sake we have the national team especially since we are still waiting for an international trophy to be won.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 17:56
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP-87 View Post
well your avatar and your signature attacks Sporting and Porto. Im not criticizing as my old avatar was poking fun at SLB but it looks like you dislike Sporting and Porto as well.

The problem I have with Benfica and Porto fans in respect to Sporting european games is this. when we win they say congrats and all of that but when we lose they will make endless jokes about us losing. it happenes with benfica and porto as well. I remember Benfiquistas in my city at the place I watched the game celebrating Sportings UEFA cup final defeat in 2005.

I support Sporting, ill leave it at that and for Portugal's sake we have the national team especially since we are still waiting for an international trophy to be won.
Ok, i'll change my avatar as for Sporting, sorry but i don't care enough to do that.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 19:44
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Here's the starting line-up:

Rui Patrício
Pedro Silva - Daniel Carriço - Anderson Polga - André Marques
Miguel Veloso
João Moutinho (c) - Vukcevic
Matías Fernández
Liedson - Hélder Postiga

Nelson Mandela
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 19:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

oooooooooh what a start from Sporting! Moutinho denied by Frey.

Nelson Mandela
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 19:52
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

6' 0-1 by Vargas.

Pedro Silva's gift after Sporting played some very good first 5 minutes.

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 19:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Gamberini slaps Liedson in the face and gets a yellow for it. As if we needed the ref against us :rollani:

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 20:09
Forum Manager
Star Player

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 20:11
Premier Player

Teams: CrvenaZvezda, Fiorentina, Zenit, Sampdoria, Serbia
Sporting really pressuring now. Game is getting good.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 20:12
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Sporting is playing some fine football so far but one stupid mistake at this level it's enough to lose it all.

Nelson Mandela
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2009, 20:32
Star Player

Teams: Inter, Gli Azzurri
Quote:
feeds?
http://freedocast.com/forms/PopOut.a...8E31E92139109E

Not the greatest, its on and off. But better than nothing....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in