PL R21: SPORTING 1-1 Benfica; Alvalade, 02.03.2008 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2008, 18:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
PL R21: SPORTING 1-1 Benfica; Alvalade, 02.03.2008

From the moment that I remember starting watching football this was The Game. Nothing matters close to this one, no matter what is at stake.

This time something big is at stake although this match will not decide anything on its own. We are 5 points behind and anything less than a victory tomorrow will not give us many real chances of finishing in the golden 2nd place that gives direct access to the Champions League.

My memory of these derbies goes back probably to those times when these gentleman pictured above use to defend the Lions and the Eagles and I don't think I will be very far from the truth if I say that it's difficult to remember a derby in a period where both teams were playing as poorly as today.

Still, a Sporting vs Benfica is a Sporting vs Benfica and we must do all that we can to win it. Even with our inconsistency, even with Purovic, even without Romagnoli and...even...without Liedson.

Here is the list of players called by Paulo Bento, where one can see the absolute lack of attacking solutions of our current squad:

Goalkeepers:
Rui Patrício and Stojkovic.

Defenders:
Abel, Pedro Silva, Tonel, Anderson Polga, Gladstone, Ronny and Leandro Grimi.

Midfielders:
Adrien Silva, Miguel Veloso, Bruno Pereirinha, Pontus Farnerud, Marat Izmailov, Simon Vukcevic, João Moutinho and Celsinho.

Forwards:
Milan Purovic and Rodrigo Tiuí.

FORÇA SPORTING !!!!!!!

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2008, 18:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Well that are great news beacuse with Luisao and David Luiz out we will struggle a lot on defense....even Petit who is not anymore a pitbull will be missed.

Russian women

World volley champio
Vice olympic volley champion
World handball champion
European basket champion
Vice world basket champion
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2008, 19:00 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber View Post
Well that are great news beacuse with Luisao and David Luiz out we will struggle a lot on defense....even Petit who is not anymore a pitbull will be missed.
I don't think Luisão will be out and although I agree that missing David Luiz and Petit is important for you, we are the ones going weaker to this game.

For us to play without Liedson is the equivalent of Benfica playing without Rui Costa...can you imagine that?

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:15
Star Player

Should be a great match, regardless of both sides' positioning in the table. This derby is always something special, and I'm really looking forward to watching the classic.

Best of luck to you guys, and hopefully this will not be the last time that the two Lisbon giants meet this season; wouldn't it be fantastic to see them in the UEFA Cup final?
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:28 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porto&Guti View Post
Should be a great match, regardless of both sides' positioning in the table. This derby is always something special, and I'm really looking forward to watching the classic.

Best of luck to you guys, and hopefully this will not be the last time that the two Lisbon giants meet this season; wouldn't it be fantastic to see them in the UEFA Cup final?
Thanks. Yes, it would be great to face Benfica in the UEFA Cup final although looking at the way both teams have been playing this season, both clubs should be happy if they can manage more than reaching the 1/8 finals.

Nelson Mandela
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:05
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis View Post
I don't think Luisão will be out and although I agree that missing David Luiz and Petit is important for you, we are the ones going weaker to this game.

For us to play without Liedson is the equivalent of Benfica playing without Rui Costa...can you imagine that?
I prefer to play with Luisao and David Luiz then Riu Costa.

Russian women

World volley champio
World handball champion
European basket champion
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 13:30 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
I prefer to play with Luisao and David Luiz then Riu Costa.
I think it's been more than obvious that Benfica this season was an absolute desert of ideas when he was not in the pitch but if you think that two good CBs are more important for your playing style than him, so be it.

Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 15:05
Premier Player

a good game for a 4-3-3

My 11 would be

Vladimir Stojkovic
Leandro Grimi
Abel
Anderson Polga
Gladstone
Miguel Veloso
Adrien Silva
João Moutinho
Simon Vukcevic
Marat Izmailov
Milan Purovic
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 15:24 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balakov10 View Post
a good game for a 4-3-3

My 11 would be

Vladimir Stojkovic
Leandro Grimi
Abel
Anderson Polga
Gladstone
Miguel Veloso
Adrien Silva
João Moutinho
Simon Vukcevic
Marat Izmailov
Milan Purovic

If Paulo Bento was Jesualdo, he would certainly commit the mistake of inventing a whole new tactical system for this game, just like "O Professor da Mula Ruça" does every time he has a decisive match.

Fortunately, he isn't, therefore he will either play with his trademark diamond midfield, or play on a 4x2x3x1, being the former much more probable than the latter.

Besides, I wonder why would he swap Tonel for Gladstone, Pereirinha for Adrien and...the last but surely not the least, Tiuí for Purovic?? We are supposed to win the bloody game, remember?

Nelson Mandela
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 15:31
Premier Player

I can't believe u like Tonel
Tiui can't score
for a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 formation you have to play with 3 cm (2dm and 1am or the opposite and Pereirinha is a winger...)

And we don't have players to play with our normal system (who's being crap btw) unless you want to play with tiui and purovic up front... Vukcevic is too damn good to play out of position...
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 15:34
Premier Player

and btw, the "professor" has 18 points up front of us and he's still in that competition that we are kicked up every season, it's called the champions league
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 16:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Tiui can't score
for a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 formation you have to play with 3 cm (2dm and 1am or the opposite and Pereirinha is a winger...)
Tonel has been playing side by side with Polga for the last two years and they form one of the best pairs of CBs that I remember seeing playing for Sporting. Everytime that one of them is out, either injured or suspended, we struggle. Do we need to invent for this game? Nope.

If we count the minutes played so far by Tiuí since he arrived at Sporting a bit more than a month ago, he has played around 4 whole matches. You don't want me to give you Purovic's stats, do you?

Pereirinha is as much of a winger as Izmailov or even Vukcevic. Sporting does not have real wingers in this squad and that is also one of the reasons why we cannot play in 4x3x3, even if PB wanted us to.

Quote:
And we don't have players to play with our normal system (who's being crap btw) unless you want to play with tiui and purovic up front... Vukcevic is too damn good to play out of position...
The problems of our team this year have nothing to do with the tactical system. In fact, if we are still with chances of winning something this season that is due to the consistency and coherence of PB's work. If he would be listening to the hords of illuminated brains that fill the pages of our enlightened sports press, we would be now fighting for 10th place with the likes of Académica, out of the two domestic cups and out of Europe.

When Vukcevic played "out of position" this season, he was our best player on the pitch. I am sure it's a coincidence, of course. :rollani:

Quote:
and btw, the "professor" has 18 points up front of us and he's still in that competition that we are kicked up every season, it's called the champions league
So, you mean that the reason Porto is 18 points ahead of us and is still in the CL, it's linked with the difference of quality between the coaches of the two teams? You really are a Portuguese sports journalist, no doubt about that! :dielaugh:

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 16:16
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
I think it's been more than obvious that Benfica this season was an absolute desert of ideas when he was not in the pitch but if you think that two good CBs are more important for your playing style than him, so be it.
For today game the important thing is not to lose,a draw is just fine,you will not win next week in Guimaraes....that give us 2 games to lose points till the end of the league away,Porto and another one.

If we win well it is all over.

Russian women

World volley champio
World handball champion
European basket champion
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 19:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
For today game the important thing is not to lose,a draw is just fine,you will not win next week in Guimaraes....that give us 2 games to lose points till the end of the league away,Porto and another one.

If we win well it is all over.
You are right in two things: a draw is enough for you and if you win then the 2nd place is yours but I don't think it is that obvious that we will not win at Guimarães, especially if we beat you tonight.

Nelson Mandela
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 19:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Totally agree; horrendous player. Polga is much, much better than him and Gladstone should get the chance to play beside his Brazilian comrade.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 19:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Já cá faltava este panascas

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 20:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

No surprises in the starting line-up:

Rui Patrício

Abel - Tonel - Polga - Grimi

Miguel Veloso

Pereirinha - Izmailov

João Moutinho

Rodrigo Tiuí - Vukcevic

Nelson Mandela
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 20:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Já cá faltava este panascas
It wouldn't be the same without. p

Anyways, you guys have started great and the 1-0 lead is deserved. Benfica's a mess and if Sporting kee[ up the pressure, this could be a comfortable lead early on. Simon looks great out there.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 20:50
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Great goal by Vukcevic

Benfica looks like a bunch of old men out there

#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2008, 21:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Goal from Cardozo off a corner kick. 1-1. Benfica are only threatening from set pieces, Sporting can outplay the little eagles on the ground. It's in the air where Cardozo is unfortunately much superior to Polga and Tonel.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in