Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
UCL R4: SPORTING 2-2 AS Roma; Alvalade, 07.11.2007

2007/08 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
Group F - Round 4
Alvalade, Lisbon (POR) | Wed 7 Nov 2007 | 20h45 CET

SPORTING CP vs AS Roma

vs

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2007, 23:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
Roma minus Totti, Taddei and Panucci

Predicted team:

Doni; Cicinho, Mexes, Juan, Tonetto; De Rossi, Pizarro; Giuly, Perrotta, Mancini; Vucinic.

After totally screwing up and drawing 2-2 with Empoli despite being 2-0 up confidence has once more been shot. However since we last met we have also beat Milan in the San Siro and Lazio in the derby. Right now we seem better for the big occasions and Sporting have more chance if we go ahead first p

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2007, 23:31 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

It's crunch time for us at the CL. Only a win can give us chances of staying in this tournament but a simple 1-0 will give us an advantage on the head-to-head against our opponents of tomorrow.

Both teams are not at their best and Roma is even missing some very important players (e.g. Totti, Taddei, Aquilani or Taddei) but we should never underestimate the Italians.

Sporting comes from a good game against Naval and the only doubt in terms of players is to know if Stojkovic will recover from his injury.

Another very interesting aspect of this game is linked with the possibility of seeing Liedson reaching his 100th goal on official matches for us. It would be immense to see O Levezinho reach the centenary while beating Roma. :hopeful:

Here's the list of players called by Paulo Bento:

Goalkeepers: Stojkovic, Tiago and Rui Patrício;

Defenders: Polga, Ronny, Tonel, Gladstone and Abel;

Midfielders: Paredes, Izmailov, Vukcevic, Farnerud, Miguel Veloso, Bruno Pereirinha, Celsinho, João Moutinho and Romagnoli;

Forwards: Purovic, Liedson and Yannick Djaló.

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTING!!!

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 00:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Good luck tomorrow. Always nice to beat Italians. The chips are stacked against Sporting, but there's no better time than this to show what the team is all about.

Is Pedro Silva hurt again?

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 09:31 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua
Good luck tomorrow. Always nice to beat Italians. The chips are stacked against Sporting, but there's no better time than this to show what the team is all about.

Is Pedro Silva hurt again?
Thanks.

Pedro Silva had an injury similar to the one of Derlei so it's not even clear if he will play at all this season.

Nelson Mandela
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 10:43
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: AS ROMA
you will surely score. I AM afraid of heavy result in your favor. We concede goals to worse clubs in serie a. 16 goals conceded in the league till now ..4th worst defense in the league.
I am sure you will score. I hope we score more then you.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 12:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI_Melo
you will surely score. I AM afraid of heavy result in your favor. We concede goals to worse clubs in serie a. 16 goals conceded in the league till now ..4th worst defense in the league.
I think we all know very well that the domestic league and the CL are two very different plates and although of course one can draw conclusions from our form in our respective leagues I don't think we should take that too much into account when thinking what may happen tonight.

I hope you are right in saying that there will be a high score in our favour though.

Nelson Mandela

Last edited by Filipe Reis; November 7th, 2007 at 16:16.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 15:55
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Any update on Stojkovic's fitness?

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 16:08
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI_Melo
Roma's problem in Serie A this season is that they don't know how to hold onto a lead for the life of them. Their form in Serie A hasn't translated to the way they play in CL though, at least I haven't seen it. I think that its that they have a different mentality when they play in the CL than in Serie A. On paper they have a great defense, but it just isn't working that well for them on the pitch.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 18:53 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Stojkovic did not recover from the injury sustained in the game against Naval so it will be Tiago once again facing Roma.

Here is our official line-up:

Tiago

Abel - Tonel - Polga - Ronny

Miguel Veloso

Izmailov - João Moutinho

Romagnoli

Yannick Djaló - Liedson

Nelson Mandela
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 18:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Dont worry about what most of us think, without being big headed I think I am one of few Roma fans on this board which is actually a little calm and philosophical about each and every result. Most of the Roma fans around here are very heated, passionate on the moment type people and within 3 days anyone can be a hero then a villain and back to a hero again. Its how it works

Good luck tonight, but not too much luck. FORZA ROMA!

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 19:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano
Dont worry about what most of us think, without being big headed I think I am one of few Roma fans on this board which is actually a little calm and philosophical about each and every result. Most of the Roma fans around here are very heated, passionate on the moment type people and within 3 days anyone can be a hero then a villain and back to a hero again. Its how it works

Good luck tonight, but not too much luck. FORZA ROMA!
Thanks Deano. Don't worry with the heated comments. I actually think Roma fans in XT are some of the most easy going ones mainly when compared with some other big Italian teams.

Good luck and...VIV'Ó SPORTING!!!

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 19:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Defeat not an option for Sporting
Wednesday 7 November 2007
in uefa.com

Sporting Clube de Portugal coach Paulo Bento says it is "fundamental" that his team beat AS Roma as they attempt to catch the Italian side in UEFA Champions League Group F.

Equal footing
Sporting lost 2-1 in the Italian capital two weeks ago and trail the Giallorossi by three points in the section. They picked up their only points so far with victory at FC Dynamo Kyiv on Matchday 2, and with a trip to group leaders Manchester United FC next, Bento knows Sporting can ill-afford to lose further ground at the Estádio José Alvalade. "It's fundamental for us to win against Roma in order to reach our first objective, which is to continue in this competition after the group stage," he said. "We know it's a good situation for Roma because they won the first game, and now they can defend from the start, something I believe they are very capable of. They have skilful players with lots of experience. But it is not impossible for us to win and we will try our best."

Totti out
Roma captain Francesco Totti will miss the match because of the foot injury he sustained when these sides met at the Stadio Olimpico. Bento, though, does not believe his absence will necessarily work to Sporting's advantage. "Totti is a great player and he is always important for his team, but we're not relieved because he's not playing," Bento said. "In Rome, the player who replaced Totti scored the winning goal."

Vučinić in
That was Mirko Vučinić and the Montenegro striker will continue in attack for the visitors. Despite being deprived of several key players through injury, Roma coach Luciano Spalletti will stick to his usual 4-2-3-1 system. With Alberto Aquilani and Taddei both absent, Vučinić will be supported by Mancini, Simone Perrotta and Ludovic Giuly with Daniele De Rossi and David Pizarro providing the anchor in midfield. Philippe Mexes returns in central defence alongside Juan after being rested for the 2-2 Serie A draw at Empoli FC on Sunday, while Marco Cassetti is expected to start at right-back with Max Tonetto on the left. Spalletti could also opt for Cicinho at right-back, in which case Cassetti would move to the left and Tonetto would play in a more advanced position in place of Giuly.

'No favourites'
"There are no favourites in this match," said Spalletti, who dismissed suggestions his team have lacked focus at times this season. "We will try to maintain our concentration throughout the game. The Champions League is a wonderful competition and this will guarantee the motivation of my players. I trust them, they have the right attitude, they are skilful and they know what I expect from them."

Romagnoli doubt
Sporting's main concern is Serbia goalkeeper Vladimir Stojković who sustained a hip injury during Sunday's impressive 4-1 home win against A. Naval 1º de Maio. Reserve goalkeeper Tiago stands by. Midfielder Leandro Romagnoli is also doubtful after sitting out training on Tuesday because of a problem with his right thigh, leaving the way open for Celsinho to deputise if required.

Nelson Mandela
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 19:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

1-0 Roma right off the bat.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 20:20
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Goooooooooooooooloooooooooooo the cheap lizard! p

1-1, should be 2-1 Sporting for a goal that didn't count!

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 20:38
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

1-1 half-time. Sporting should be ahead 2-1 and are playing great football. The Roma midfield look clueless to stop any of these attacks.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 20:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

First 10 Roma were great, however since then Sporting should be killing us by a large scoreline.

post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 21:13
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
2-1 for sporting

terrible defense from roma, and great sense of opportunity by liedson ( as usual)

and like i've said before, hes only scoring in CL since i put him out of my team....bastard

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 21:40
International

Teams: Manchester United FC, Botswana Meat Commission FC
Awww shit Pizzaro in the 89th, that sucks major monkey balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitan Totti
Pele is hailed because he scored 1000+ goals in a league that if its shit now, imagine back then. And personal opinion, I think that he is hyped so much mostly because he is black.

Quote:
Pure ignorance coming out of the fella

Quote:
POk now you are just trolling.
Quote:
I have offered very valuable opinions
Quote:
Not to mention that the 2002 WC was bought by Brazil.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2007, 21:45 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

2-2 FT

Sporting played some great attacking football during large parts of the game and did more than enough to win the match but two shots on goal by Roma (one of them from a deflected free kick on the 89th minute :rollani: ) were enough for them to score twice and draw. One more moral victory for us. **** it.

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in