UCL R1: SPORTING 0-1 Manchester United; Alvalade, 19.09.2007 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2007, 23:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
UCL R1: SPORTING 0-1 Manchester United; Alvalade, 19.09.2007

2007/08 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
Group F - Round 1
Estádio José Alvalade, Lisbon | Wed 19 Sep 2007 | 20h45 CET

SPORTING CP vs Manchester United

vs

Sporting returns to the biggest stage of European club football for the first time in consecutive seasons and it's difficult to imagine a better way to start than hosting the club where two of the current best players of Portuguese football who are at the same time two of the best products of our academy currently perform. Alvalade will undoubtedly give a warm welcome to Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani.

It's clear that once again we are facing a very tough group and it is also clear that from all our opponents, tomorrow we are facing the hardest of them all, but Sporting has been gradually showing signs that the great peaks of form reached during the second half of last season are coming our way therefore I am certain that we will put on a good show against the English Champions.

Now more than ever...FORÇA SPORTING!!!!

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2007, 23:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

It's not the first time that Sporting faces Manchester United in the European Cups. The only other time that that happened will stay forever marked in the history of our club. Not only because it was part of that epic victory on our only European trophy conquered so far but mainly on the manner in which our victory over United was obtained.

Here's a special report on that tie that I've translated from today's edition of O Jogo...

The great adventure of the Famous Five
by Filipe Alexandre Dias
Translated from O Jogo

"There is a hurricane passing through Lisbon!" - this was what the stunned BBC radio reporter shouted at his microphone at the old José Alvalade stadium on that magic night of 18 March 1964. The best ever European Sporting crushed the superfavourites Manchester United in the quarter finals of the now extinct Cup Winners' Cup, that the Lions would end up winning. The 5-0 rout cancelled the 1-4 defeat suffered in England on the first leg. Before the first official reunion of the two clubs, now in the Champions League, O Jogo brought together, in Alvalade, Fernando Mendes, Hilário and Carvalho, three of the heroes of that epic episode.

Fernando Mendes starts unleashing the memories: "That Manchester United team that, four years later, would become European champions, was the reconstruction of the famous "Busby Babes", after the Munich plane crash, in 1958. The 1-4 defeat of the first leg in England was "a lie" and did not reveal the true difference between the two teams." On the return to Portugal, an added motivation appeared, according to the former captain: "On the return trip, some of the most wealthy Sporting supporters offered a prize of 40 thousand escudos to each player, in case we would pass the qualifier. It was a fortune."

In Alvalade, the Lions devoured the Manchester Devils, but the start of the match was thrilling. Carvalho says: "We went into the game very concentrated, but right at the start Denis Law hit the crossbar of the goal situated on the North side of the old stadium, and soon afterwards Hilário saved a ball on the goal line. From then on, we've made almost everything perfectly, we didn't miss a pass, scored in the right moments and went on believing. The English could only look at each other in disbelief." Fernando Mendes reminded the arrogance of the "Red Devils" as a decisive factor, but he clarified: "They thought it was won, but they didn't go to the beach, as it was said. This was in March, and the weather was not good for it. The game was a sum up of positive situations. That prize money unfortunately never showed up."

Hilário adds: "We were harmed by the referee in Manchester, as two of the goals came from dubious penalties. Nobody believed that we could turn the tie around, but we have proved that even the wildest dreams can become reality."

The magic squad of 1963/64

An irresistible 4x2x4

With nothing to lose, Anselmo Fernandez' Sporting, in the famous turnaround of 1963/64, faced United on a 4x2x4 very much build upon the herculean work of the two central midfielders, Fernando Mendes and Geo, that played like allrounders. On the goal, Carvalho was the undisputed starter, leading a backline that would conquer the experts, with World Cup 66 players: Pedro Gomes, Alexandre Baptista, José Carlos and Hilário. Upfront, Figueiredo, Osvaldo Silva, Mascarenhas and Morais were very mobile, with the first and the last being forced to go backwards to close the midfield. This system triumphed over the classic 4x4x2. Sporting reached half time winning 2-0, with Osvaldo Silva scoring both. On the second half, it only needed nine minutes to make history. Geo made the third (47'), Morais the 4-0 (52') and Osvaldo closed the score (54'). And there's the "famous five"!

Osvaldo Silva and George Best were brilliant in both legs

Osvaldo Silva was, against Manchester United, the great star of the Lions. On the other side, a 17 year old kid called George Best was starting to build the legend. They were real artists, each one at his own dimension, and today, after having both left us, they live in the memories of those that had the priviledge of watching them playing. The former captain recalls Osvaldo with warmth: "He was a friend. When he was in a good mood, he was hilarious. He was a superb player."

The superb Osvaldo Silva

Carvalho still suffered facing the mythical number seven of the "Red Devils", known by his excesses. "Their players smoke and drank beer in the locker room. We couldn't even think about it. Best was the Ronaldo of those times. In the game in England, that bloke sat Pedro Gomes on the floor and came towards me. I covered the angle and he immediately made me a lob. I jumped backwards, but the ball hit the crossbar. He did all the measuring, but he was unlucky. The bastard was a kid, but he was already fantastic."

Touring Lisbon with Bobby Charlton

On the day after the rout, Lions and Red Devils created friendship amongst them. Fernando Mendes will never forget a certain walk: "Alexandre Baptista and me took Bobby Charlton and other colleagues for a tour around Lisbon. From there we went to the Seteais Palace in Sintra for a friendship dinner amongst the two Boards of Directors."

Studying through film

Between the two ties, Anselmo Fernandez replaced Gentil Cardoso at the command of the team. The architect that took Sporting to their biggest trophy in football is considered to be a visionary. Hilário explains: "It was him that introduced the study of our opponents through film. We went to the film room at the club's headquarters and saw United's film."

A new victory, again.

About the reunion of tomorrow, more than 43 years after the famous 5-0, Fernando Mendes does not feel overly optimistic, but he firmly believes in the victory. Talking like a "Lion", the former number 6, just like his former colleagues, will be at the stadium as a fan and he anticipates: "Sporting is in a prestigious group in the Champions League, but I should recall that we've been having some luck against the English. I would be more worried if it was a club from a country without much name in football. The concentration will be doubled, and, due to that, I believe on a new victory over Manchester United."

The man that kept the Lions' goal during 12 seasons believes that, at least, the green and whites will not leave their stadium defeated: "We have a strong word to say. Manchester United is not at their best, whereas Sporting already showed some of the football showed during the last season. We will not lose, but it is possible to win." In what concerns Hilário, the progress registered in our football and the form with which the Lions normally deal with the open football of the British creates optimism. "We fit well with the English football. Before, their physical preparation used to be better, but today that doesn't happen. Sporting have all the chances to win, because United seems not to have found their peak during this season yet."

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela

Last edited by Filipe Reis; September 19th, 2007 at 14:13.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 14:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ronaldo enjoys Sporting homecoming
Wednesday 19 September 2007
in uefa.com

Cristiano Ronaldo is hoping for a warm reception when he steps out at the Estádio José Alvalade in the red of Manchester United FC in the UEFA Champions League.

'Second home'

Ronaldo joined United for €17.5m in August 2003 after coming up through the Sporting youth system and is looking forward to playing against the team where he made his name. "It's always good to come back to my second home," he said. "I have lots of friends and colleagues here. I like Sporting a lot but my primary colour now is red. To be honest I think the people like me here and the reception will be different than the last season in Estádio da Luz [when United played SL Benfica]. They are different people. I was booed but that's in the past. I think the reception will be good here."

Emotional return
Ronaldo admits it will be an emotional return, but he is focused on one thing alone; going one better than last season when United reached the semi-finals. "I will have to wait until tomorrow to see what my feelings are but I have been expecting to play against Sporting, a club where I spent so much time, for a while now. I expect a normal match, very emotional, but I believe we can win it because we're better than Sporting in every respect."

'Great game'
The 22-year-old has fond memories of this fixture. The two teams met in a friendly here four years ago and the home side ran out 3-1 winners – with Ronaldo impressing in the green and white of Sporting. "I have watched that match many times," he said. "It was a great game for me. I felt extra motivation back then because it was the very first match in the new Estádio José Alvalade and I was facing the team I always dreamed of playing for."

Dazzling
United manager Sir Alex Ferguson would make that dream a reality soon after and his decision to sign the winger has been vindicated many times over. Ronaldo, now 22, has gone on to score 50 goals in 194 appearances for United, his dazzling performances last season helping the club to their first Premier League title since 2003. "I think it's difficult for an 18-year-old boy to settle at a new club in a new country as well as Cristiano did," Sir Alex said. "Young boys have to grow to develop and it is the speed of his development was surprising. He is a more mature player now."

-------------------------------

Benvindo a casa Cristiano!

Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 14:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Confident Sporting know no fear
Wednesday 19 September 2007
in uefa.com

Sporting Clube de Portugal coach Paulo Bento says his side will not be intimidated by Manchester United FC when they kick off their UEFA Champions League Group F campaign against the English champions on Wednesday.

'No fear'
Sporting have won their last two games in the Portuguese Liga and Bento believes the time is right to face United. "Sporting are doing well and we're going through a good period," he said. "We respect Manchester United but we don't fear them. Sporting will not be bystanders; I'm confident we'll battle to win. Maybe they'll control the game for spells but we'll try to take the initiative. We have to be very good collectively because they're very strong one-on-one, but United have their flaws and Sporting must take advantage."

Sporting connection
Sporting finished bottom of their group-stage section last season despite beginning with a victory over FC Internazionale Milano. Expectations are high that they can improve on that, and with United having won just two of their last 14 away matches in the competition, Sporting could spring a surprise. To do so, they will have to get the better of old boys Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani, as well as United assistant coach Carlos Queiroz, who was in charge of the Lisbon outfit between 1994 and 1996. "Ronaldo has developed well at Manchester United and is now a better player," Bento said. "I think he deserves a good reception as does Nani. However, when the match starts they become opponents and not enemies. I hope they swap shirts with Sporting players afterwards, but that they don't collect any points here."

Rooney return
Sporting are without Brazilians Pedro Silva and Derlei, who both have long-term knee injuries, while United are still missing Owen Hargreaves and Gary Neville, who failed to recover from thigh strains in time to travel. United manager Sir Alex Ferguson does have Wayne Rooney available, however, yet faces a dilemma up front with neither Rooney, Louis Saha or Carlos Tévez fully fit. With United still to score twice in a game this term, it is a cause for concern, although Rooney is raring to go. "I've been dying to play," said the 21-year-old, who broke a bone in his foot on the opening day of the campaign. "Hopefully, I can get a run-out on Wednesday and get back playing."

Hargreaves blow
Sir Alex, whose charges won 1-0 at Everton FC on Saturday, is disappointed not to have Hargreaves ready but still anticipates a strong showing from his side – considering them better than the team that was knocked out in the semi-finals by AC Milan last April. "Hargreaves did not recover in time, which is a big blow because he is an experienced player in Europe," said Sir Alex, who is also shorn of Mikaël Silvestre, Darren Fletcher, John O'Shea, Ji-Sung Park and Ben Foster. "We were close last year. We do not have our full squad at the moment but we will have all our players in the second half of the season and I believe we can do even better."

Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 15:24
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 16:07 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa
Good luck to you guys today
Obrigado

Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 16:23
JESTER OF SORTS
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Dortmund, Leverkusen
Sporting 3-0 United

Do it.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 16:24
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Right, it's that easy.

Sporting will struggle but at least I hope for a tough and entertaining game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrix
zoric man, do you have like 5 screens in your room streaming 7 channels while simultaneously following 10 livescore websites?

p
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoRiS_ThE_BuLLetDoDgeR View Post
ZORIC!!!

Feeling depressed about Kosovo? We still have ZORIC!!!

When someone asks for the most famous Serbian exports, you answer "Slivovica, Tesla i ZORIC!!!"
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 16:25
Legend

Good luck, I hope u manage a result.

Last year you won Inter at home was it?

RIP MK-Inter

Traitors of forum #73
EclipsE
King Kenny7
Famigerato19
Crazy4TheCrew (Loco4LosChe)
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 16:35 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVilla7
Good luck, I hope u manage a result.

Last year you won Inter at home was it?
yes, 1-0 but that's past. To be honest I'll be happy with a draw but I am not afraid of Man Utd. These players have proved that they can play well at this level so there's no reason to fear anybody.

Nelson Mandela
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 16:44
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
Good luck tonight. I will be watching Arse-Sevilla but I will keep an eye on this one of course.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 19:10 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

official line-ups:

SPORTING
Stojkovic
Abel - Tonel - Polga - Ronny
Miguel Veloso
João Moutinho - Izmailov
Romagnoli
Liedson - Yannick Djaló

Subs: Tiago, Gladstone, Paredes, Farnerud, Bruno Pereirinha, Vukcevic and Purovic.

Man Utd
Van der Sar
Brown - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra
Carrick - Scholes
Giggs
Cristiano Ronaldo - Rooney - Nani

Subs: Kuszczak, Evans, Piqué, Eagles, Anderson, Tevez and Saha.

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 19:32
Kyo
Star Player

Abysmal line-up from us.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 20:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

What a save by van der Sar on Liedson. Almost 1-0 there.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 20:37 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

0-0 at HT

A good first half from us even if with only one real goal chance on an amazing shot by Liedson very well saved by Van der Sar. United has been harmless and the few only times they've been close to our box was when he give them the ball.

Polga, Miguel Veloso, Romagnoli and Liedson have been very good so far but the whole team is playing well with one exception: if only Djaló was not playing so bad, things could have been very different right now.

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 20:39
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester United
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo
Abysmal line-up from us.
In terms of tactics? Then you're right.

It's sad to watch us away from home in the CL, pathetic football. I can't believe why we're not going for this. with all due respect to SCP, they're hardly a giant in Europe and I don't understand why United are being so ****ing cautious, aaargh its so frustrating. The games been dogshit.
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 20:42 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

official stats so far:

SCP vs MU
9 - Total Shots - 3
5 - Shots on target - 1
4 - Shots wide - 2
3 - Fould commited - 4
0 - Offside - 1
2 - Corners - 3
53% - Ball possession - 47%

Nelson Mandela
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 20:58
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Filipe, you say I'm biased in my opinion of Liedson but look at this.

Also, this comes from a fan who likes your club and supports you in Portugal.

https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showpo...0&postcount=79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15
Oh and FIG was absolutely spot on about Liedson, what a piece of shit this guy is. Worst diver i've seen. He takes simulation to a new level.
You're the one who's biased saying he's not a dirty player.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 20:58
JESTER OF SORTS
Xtratime Legend

Come on Sporting.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2007, 21:06
JESTER OF SORTS
Xtratime Legend

Just wonderful, you go 0-1.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in