Adrien Silva, the new Moutinho? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2007, 14:24 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Adrien Silva, the new Moutinho?

Adrien Silva is a new gem from the great youthranks of Sporting Lisboa. He is born March 15, 1989, in Angoulême, a place southwest in France.

He has been one of the best players for Sporting Lisboa in some of the preseason matches, and is from what I heard pretty similar in his style of play to Joao Moutinho.

He sounds very promising, and might get his breaktrough this season, but the competition in central midfield is hard at Sporting.

What do you think Filipe? How good is this player, and what do you expect from him this season?

Maybe you can make a better description of him in this thread, if there´s not already a thread about him. Couldn´t find one tough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2007, 15:25
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
well, there is already quite a lot about him on other threads of this forum but maybe it helps as an introduction to read this post taken from the Leõezinhos thread. It was posted in the beginning of this pre-season:

Adrien Silva
“I will grab this chance”

By Ricardo Reis
Translated from O Jogo

At 18, Adrien Silva received the best news of his still short career. He will do the pre-season with the first squad. Meanwhile, because he will have to return to work at the start of July, he is already on holidays. First in Arcos de Valdevez, and afterwards in France where he was born. On his return, he'll think only about doing his best and proving that the opportunity given to him was not in vain.

How did you receive the news that you would be going to do the pre-season with the first squad?
It was Jean Paul, my coach, António Lima, and Paulo Bento who, after the match against Boavista, talked with me and told me about their decision.

How do you face the opportunity of integrating the work of the first squad when you still haven't finished your formation period as a youth player?
It was always my dream to be part of Sporting's squad. It is a great club, and I always had that aim. I know it's a great chance the one I have been given, and I will grab it.

With which spirit will you face that chance?
I know I have the chance of, for example, following the same path of João Moutinho. I'll be with a working spirit, because I want to win my place inside that team. That is my goal, and I will work with that on my mind.

What will be your main problems to adapt to a professional team?
Above all the rhythm of play, but that is nothing that worries me much. I know that, with more or less work, I have the capacity to join my colleagues. Besides I will count with their support. During the last season, I have been called a few times to train with the first squad, where I worked under Paulo Bento. That group is fantastic, and I know that the integration will not be complicated.

Have you always been well received by the older ones?
Yes, always, and by all of them. It was an aspect that helped me a lot, and I didn't even waited for it to be so positive.

Do you feel you're just going to be with the team during the pre-season, or there might be other chances?
It depends a lot from what I will show and from my engagement. For the moment it is a good opportunity for me.

ID

Name:
Adrien Silva

Date of Birth:
15 March 1989 (18 years old)

Place of Birth:
Angoulême (France)

Clubs:
Girondins Bordeaux (France)
Paço de Arcos de Valdevez
Sporting CP (since 2002)

Position:
Midfielder

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2007, 18:11
Rising Star

Teams: Portugal and Sporting
I wonder if this is the start of a trend to scout the various Portuguese communities scattered around the world for talent. I know it's happened in the past, but it was just once in a while it seemed. By taking this new approach seriously would be a great idea as they population base to choose from would be increased so much (a wild guess would be 50%). Brilliant idea!
If we could identify talent at a very young age and then bring those youngsters to our academy, that would be better than signing them when they have already deveoped outside of the academy.

The grass is always greener on the other side

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2007, 18:11
Rising Star

Teams: Portugal and Sporting

The grass is always greener on the other side
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2007, 19:59
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie
I wonder if this is the start of a trend to scout the various Portuguese communities scattered around the world for talent. I know it's happened in the past, but it was just once in a while it seemed. By taking this new approach seriously would be a great idea as they population base to choose from would be increased so much (a wild guess would be 50%). Brilliant idea!
If we could identify talent at a very young age and then bring those youngsters to our academy, that would be better than signing them when they have already deveoped outside of the academy.
Yes, you're right. There is already a trend for the last few years of scouting the Portuguese communities, mainly in Europe. Apart from Adrien, we have in Sporting Cédric Soares and there are other cases in other clubs like for example Amaury Bischoff (Werder Bremen) or Manuel da Costa (PSV).

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2007, 02:01
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Filipe, what have you read/heard about this boy lately?

Easily one of my favourite Portuguese prospects at the moment.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2007, 23:38
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Adrien at the start of this season was told that he would have some chances to play with the first team but as he is mainly a DM he hasn't been having that many chances to show his value. Having said this one wonders if some times Paulo Bento shouldn't try to bring him to play on the second line of players of our squad because from what I've seen from him he is surely better than, for example, Farnerud.

Here is an interview with him that I've spotted on one good Sporting blog some time ago...

ADRIEN SILVA AT SPORTING UNTIL 2012
Translated from Centenário Sporting

Adrien Sebastian Perruchet Silva was born at Angoulême (France), on 15 March 1989, he joined Sporting in 2001 and already won seven championship titles (4 national and 3 regional). The midfielder signed a contract with Sporting until 2012, a deal that has left him "very proud".

- When did you join Sporting?
- I came to Sporting in 2001, to play for the U-15 team, then coached by "mister" Paulo Cardoso.

- After five years with the lion crest on your chest, can we say that you already have an enviable list of achievements?
- Well, the fact of having had the chance to play at my age levels and also on those immediately above my age, allowed me to win seven titles (four at national level and three at regional level), which is obviously a motive of great satisfaction for me.

- Are you happy with the contract that you've signed until 2012?
- I am very happy. Signing for Sporting is always a motive of proud. Sporting is a fantastic club, developing a superb work on its Academy and the proof of that is the systematic bet on the youngsters. Thus, being part of a club such as this leaves me full of hope for the future.

- What can Adrien Silva offer Sporting in this period of five years?
- I hope I can contribute with many victories and titles. I will do everything to be able to be at the level demanded by the club. Sporting showed trust in me and I will do everything to fulfil their expectations.

- This is your first year at U-19 level. Therefore, you still have one year left before reaching the first level. Would you like to have the same chance that other Sporting players had of playing in the first squad while they were still at the U-19 level?
- I'd love that. Actually, I think that is what we all aim at. Nevertheless, I have the conscience that that will not be easy. After all, Sporting's first team is made of great players on the midfield, many of them coming from the club's Academy and, in that way, I know I will have to show, daily, that I can become an added value for the main squad. I mean with this that it is my obligation to render a good service to Sporting's U-19 team, always aiming to evolve so that, later, I can be a player capable of being at the first squad of such a fantastic club as Sporting is.

Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2007, 23:48
Rising Star

Teams: ac milan, nk istra
the new who?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2007, 23:51
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linderoth
the new who?
https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=200804

Nelson Mandela
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2007, 23:46
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I also agree he should be ahead of the likes of Farnerud and Paredes(never liked him). However, as it's clear he's not in Paulo Bento's mind, do you think a January loan would be the best option for him? I hate seeing these guys just playing in training and then never get first team action. Much better for a loan to get experience, I am sure Varela would agree with me here.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2007, 00:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua
I also agree he should be ahead of the likes of Farnerud and Paredes(never liked him). However, as it's clear he's not in Paulo Bento's mind, do you think a January loan would be the best option for him? I hate seeing these guys just playing in training and then never get first team action. Much better for a loan to get experience, I am sure Varela would agree with me here.
He is not going to be loaned in January because of different reasons.

The first and most important is that he is one of the most important players of our U-19 squad, where he's been playing a lot this season. Playing at the youth levels for Sporting is surely much more useful right now for his development as a player than getting playing time in some crappy Leixões or any Liga Vitalis team.

Another reason is the fact that I believe that later in the season Paulo Bento will start giving him more playing time, especially when the fixtures calendar will start to get more seriously compact.

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in