OMT: Naval 1o.Maio 0-1 SPORTING, Figueira da Foz, 26.11.06 - PL Round 11 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2006, 16:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
OMT: Naval 1o.Maio 0-1 SPORTING, Figueira da Foz, 26.11.06 - PL Round 11

After that disappointing CL game of last Wednesday, more due to the result than to the way we played, the Portuguese League is back with another away game before the second derby of the year.

Apart from having lost the chance to go on playing in the CL we have lost 3 players following Inter's game in San Siro. Both Caneira and Abel will be out for about 3 weeks and Farnerud is not available for today's game. Yannick Djaló is not yet recovered but he might be OK to face the chicks next Friday.

It's not going to be easy to beat Naval as they have been doing a solid campaign so far but it is a must win game...and I believe we will do it!

Força Sporting!!!

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2006, 16:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Changes on the right side:
Miguel Garcia and Carlos Martins should play against Naval

by João Almeida Moreira
Translated from Record

Caneira and Farnerud, the right wing of Sporting in the game in Milan, are unavailable for the game with Naval. Miguel Garcia, surely, and Carlos Martins, probably, will fill in their places in Paulo Bento's first XI.

It is a Sporting team once again stroke by injuries that will face today's game: besides the wing-centre back and the Swedish, also Abel and Yannick Djaló are out. Worries that must be solved by the coaching team.

With Ricardo safe in goal and the pair of centre backs composed by Polga and Tonel guaranteed, Tello should maintain the starting place on the left. On the right side, as it was already mentioned, Miguel Garcia will come in, as he is the only right back currently available in the squad.

The midfield, the team's sector where Paulo Bento promotes the rotation in the squad more often, should be composed of the quartet that won in Madeira. Custódio in the back, Moutinho ahead, with Carlos Martins and Nani playing next to the sidelines as vortex of the traditional diamond.

Up front, the reutrn of Liedson, surely side by side with his compatriot Alecsandro, after the European suspension complied at the Giuseppe Meazza, is the highlight.

List of players called by Paulo Bento:

Goalkeepers: Ricardo and Rui Patrício.

Defenders: Miguel Garcia, Tonel, Anderson Polga, Miguel Veloso, Ronny and Rodrigo Tello.

Midfielders: Custódio, Paredes, João Moutinho, Carlos Martins, João Alves, Romagnoli and Nani.

Forwards: Bueno, Alecsandro and Liedson.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2006, 21:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Here is the official line-up of Sporting for the game that just started in Figueira da Foz against Naval:

Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2006, 21:44
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Naval can barely get out of their own half so far.

They're also committing some very, VERY rough fouls especially every time Moutinho has the ball. They seem the most concerned with him and want to limit his time on the ball. Good tactics, even though it's a little dirty.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2006, 22:19 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

0-0 (HT)

Very balanced game so far with a couple of good chances for both sides.

Sporting is not playing bad but Naval is a really tough team. After all they have only lost twice in this season.

The truth is that with the good old Liedson and a less selfish Nani we could be already up on the score.

Nelson Mandela
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2006, 22:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

At 62' Paulo Bento makes a move trying to win a game where it is obvious that Sporting is very very tired:

Custódio OUT > Romagnoli IN
Alecsandro OUT > Bueno IN

Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2006, 22:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

At 74' last bet of PB:

Carlos Martins OUT > Ronny IN

Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2006, 23:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nelson Mandela
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2006, 23:07 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

What a great goal by Ronny!!! :eekani: 0-1 at 88'

Nelson Mandela
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2006, 23:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Naval 0-1 SPORTING (FT)
(Ronny 88')

Paulo Bento and a lot of heart won this bloody game!

Nelson Mandela
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2006, 00:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Naval was the only decent team from the ones who meet the three big this week.

Russian women

World volley champio
Vice olympic volley champion
World handball champion
European basket champion
Vice world basket champion
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2006, 00:23
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
u are such a joker at times nuno

i seen the game....naval was the best team during the 1st half, hands down...the number of shots and shots on goal, corners and even fouls committed, alone could tell that......2nd half was balanced, sporting got the upper hand after the 80h min and ended up scoring from a free kik, great goal no doubt...too bad the foul over liedson didnt exist, innit

ps: fully agree kleb belenenses was even more pathetic than maritimo...naval did a good game and actually tried to win

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2006, 00:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio

i seen the game....naval was the best team during the 1st half, hands down...the number of shots and shots on goal, corners and even fouls committed, alone could tell that......2nd half was balanced, sporting got the upper hand after the 80h min and ended up scoring from a free kik, great goal no doubt...too bad the foul over liedson didnt exist, innit

ps: fully agree kleb belenenses was even more pathetic than maritimo...naval did a good game and actually tried to win
Yeah,and what it is realy sad is that Belenenses and Maritimo had great teams some years ago,well guess that without money you can not make miracles.

Russian women

World volley champio
World handball champion
European basket champion
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2006, 01:18 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio

Well, I'm sorry my dear but even your endless wisdom can be changelled sometimes.

I have also seen the game and what I did see was a first half very balanced with a couple of good goal chances for both sides as I've written at half time.

Naval came up to this game knowing that Sporting could be both psychological as well as physically affected by the mid-week game in Milan and they knew how to take advantage of that for most of the game. Overall they had a very good game although I didn't like the fact that they tried to kick the $hit out of João Moutinho as I don't think that is the way football should be played.

In the first 20'/25' of the 2nd half, Naval was the best team on the pitch taking advantage of the bad game our midfield was having (with the exception, as always, of JM). However the real turning point of the match were the substitutions made by Paulo Bento:

- Romagnoli brought a new lung to the midfield that Carlos Martins was not being able to give.
- Bueno was very mobile and only the spectacular Taborda avoided that he would score an amazing header.
- Ronny brought constant danger to Naval's defense and ended up deciding the match with a scorching free kick.

Sporting tonight showed guts, heart and an amazing spirit...something that many times, just on its own, it's not enough to win games, although sometimes, like tonight, it really does.

Now take those rose coloured shades off because they don't fit your face.

Nelson Mandela
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2006, 17:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Portuguese League 2006/07
11th Round

Estádio Municipal José Bento Pessoa, Figueira da Foz (2.577 att.)
26th November 2006
21:15 (local time)
Ref: Paulo Costa (Porto)

Naval 1o.Maio 0-1 SPORTING
(Ronny 88')

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Naval 1o.Maio - Taborda; Mário Sérgio, Paulão, Fernando, Carlitos; Orestes, Gilmar, Fajardo (Pimenta 74'), Lito; Saulo (Tiago Fraga 84') and Nei.

Subs not used: Wilson Júnior, Gaúcho, Fábio Lima, João Ribeiro, Tony.
Coach: Fernando Mira

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORTING - Ricardo; Miguel Garcia, Tonel, Anderson Polga, Rodrigo Tello; Custódio (Romagnoli 62'), Carlos Martins (Ronny 74'), João Moutinho, Nani; Alecsandro (Bueno 62') and Liedson.

Subs not used: Rui Patrício, Miguel Veloso, Paredes, João Alves.
Coach: Paulo Bento

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Booked: Carlitos (ANPM 17'+89'), Gilmar (ANPM 53'), Mário Sérgio (ANPM 57'), Miguel Garcia (SCP 61').

Sent Off: Carlitos (ANPM 89']
----------------------------------------------------------------------

In my previous post I have already said practically everything I had to say about yesterday's game.

I just would like to add that probably it is difficult not to give the Man of the Match award to Ronny as he definitely changed the game in the 18 minutes that he was on the pitch.

However if I have to highlight someone in yesterday's Sporting that person has to be Paulo Bento.
His changes yesterday were absolutely crucial for the "turn of the tide" that happened in our game and this was just one example of how good he has been since he arrived at the main position of our technical staff.
He is a coach faithful to his ideas but very often he shows a refreshing flexibility and an adaptation to the various problems that come up during a match. Besides he has great leadership skills and those are obvious when we realise how inexperienced, in terms of top flight football, are a big part of the players that make this season's Sporting squad.

For all that I give a huge for Paulo! RESPECT!

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2006, 05:43
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
Overall they had a very good game although I didn't like the fact that they tried to kick the $hit out of João Moutinho as I don't think that is the way football should be played.
I also noticed this as I mentioned at my half-time post during the game. However, one cannot deny it's been proven to be somewhat successful. Perhaps the lack of a true 'enforcer' or 'destroyer' type DM in Sporting's line-up was allowing Moutinho to get hacked around.

I understand Sporting's not the type of team for Emersons and Diarras p but sometimes I feel a more physical force in the midfield is needed for the team. Veloso and Custodio are two players with a small capability of doing this. What do you think?

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2006, 11:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
I also noticed this as I mentioned at my half-time post during the game. However, one cannot deny it's been proven to be somewhat successful. Perhaps the lack of a true 'enforcer' or 'destroyer' type DM in Sporting's line-up was allowing Moutinho to get hacked around.

I understand Sporting's not the type of team for Emersons and Diarras p but sometimes I feel a more physical force in the midfield is needed for the team. Veloso and Custodio are two players with a small capability of doing this. What do you think?
I see what you mean but I think the presence or absence of a player like that (I would prefer to call it a Oceano type ) depends very much on the kind of midfield system a coach likes to implement.

Paulo Bento, who curiously enough was that type of player himself, obviously likes to develop a certain kind of versatility to almost all of his players and I actually think that is the strongest point of our current squad.

Amongst our current midfielders I would see Paredes as being the one being able to have that role but the point is that currently he doesn't seem to be a DM to play on his own and Sporting fortunately does not use the 2 DM system of Capello.

Going back to the root of this problem I would say that I don't think the real reason for the constant massacre on João Moutinho (and Nani too) is the lack of such a tough guy in our midfield. Talented players, especially when they are small and lightweighted and are crucial in their team's game flow, will always be the target of crappy defenders and dirty opponents. When referees are complacent we witness what we saw against Naval. Just keep your eyes on Petit on Friday night :smileani:

Nelson Mandela
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2006, 16:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

120 km/h

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNgohyRyh4Q&NR

Nelson Mandela
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2006, 16:09
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Well two days for Sporting-Benfica game,we will win it,i am confident.

Russian women

World volley champio
World handball champion
European basket champion
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2006, 16:23 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber
Well two days for Sporting-Benfica game,we will win it,i am confident.
OK, I'll get back to you with this after the game. In the meantime save your posting efforts for when I open the thread about that game...I'll do it soon. See you there!

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in