Sporting's Futsal thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2006, 19:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Sporting's Futsal thread

I've been thinking for a while to start a thread on one of the newest and most exciting to watch new versions of football and today after reading a very informative article on Sporting's participation in this season's UEFA Futsal's Cup I decided to start it...

Sporting soaring to fresh success
Thursday, 16 November 2006
by Nuno Tavares from Porto
in uefa.com

With the Elite round of the UEFA Futsal Cup to take place from 4 December, uefa.com is taking a closer look at each of the 16 sides involved. Today we examine Sporting Clube de Portugal, who reached the semi-finals as hosts of the inaugural edition in 2001/02. They will travel to Russia to face two-time finalists MFK Dinamo Moskva, highly-rated FC Shakhtar Donetsk and Romania's CIP Deva, with only one place in April's final four up for grabs.

Perfect record
That makes Group B probably the toughest of the four pools, but Sporting's breathtaking start to the season marks them out as undeniable contenders. Not only did they defeat FC Adana Yerevan, KMF Alfa Parf Skopje and Clearex Chorzów to storm through the UEFA Futsal Cup Main round, scoring 17 goals, but they have won all seven of their Portuguese league fixtures to date, including a 2-1 victory at arch-rivals and former European finalists SL Benfica. Last weekend they overcame Boavista FC 8-0, the second time they have reached that tally in the league this term.

Success
Sporting's history in the small-sided game dates back to 1988, when the famed club founded in 1906 embraced FIFA's decision to recognise futsal. The Lisbon outfit have gone on to win seven Portuguese championships (1992/93, 1993/94, 1994/95, 1998/99, 2000/01, 2003/04, 2005/06), one Portuguese Cup (2005/06) and two Portuguese Super Cups (2001/02, 2003/04).

Davi arrival
Much of Sporting's success is down to coach Paulo Fernandes. The 41-year-old has five Portuguese titles under his belt with Sporting, following short spells at Grupo Desportivo dos Bons Dias and Brinca N'Areia FC. As for key players, Sporting field stalwart talents like Evandro, Zézito and Bibi, but the spotlight is currently on new Brazilian signing Davi, who helped Action 21 Charleroi to victory in the 2004/05 UEFA Futsal Cup, playing both legs of the thrilling final win against Dinamo and also scoring in the 7-4 defeat of Sporting in the previous round. The 27-year-old has brought that form to Portugal, and already has 12 goals this season. His compatriot Adolfo Wulf, who also joined this summer, is in similar fine fettle having long established his reputation elsewhere in the Portuguese league.

Goalkeeping prowess
The departure of No1 goalkeeper João Benedito to two-time European champions Playas de Castellón FS at the end of last season could have taken its toll on the Portuguese champions but Cristiano has stepped up and conceded only ten goals in the seven league matches so far, ensuring Sporting have the best defensive record in the league.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2007, 18:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/index.asp?op...=132931&tema=8

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2007, 18:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

2007/08 Cup: Sporting eliminates Benfica
Translated from A Bola

After the thrashing for the league (4-0), Sporting beat Benfica
2-0, this time at Luz, eliminating the reds from Taça de Portugal, a competition won by Benfica last season.

In front of a fully packed Luz Sports Hall, Benfica dominated the ball possession, created several goal chances but had in João Benedito an unsurmountable obstacle - the Lions' keeper was in great form.

Sporting knew how to hold the pressure, got over it during the second half and ended up winning using a tremendous efficiency. Café and Alex, at the last part of the match, signed the goals that allow the Lions to stamp their presence in the next phase of the Cup.

Benfica loses again against the old rival and fails on the defense of the title, going out at the first round with teams from the first level.

__________________________________________________ ______

Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2010, 17:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

UEFA FUTSAL CUP 2010 - Elite Round

Sporting made history today after beating the powerful Spanish champions El Pozo Murcia 5-3 and winning Group D of the Elite Round which gives access to the UEFA Futsal Cup's Final Four.

It was a mad game with constant changes in the score but Sporting was a deserved winner as defended the one goal lead in a perfect way and achieved the crucial 5th goal with just 30 seconds to be played.

The Elite Round was hosted by Sporting at Pavilhão Multiusos de Odivelas and all games were played in front of a capacity crowd.

We will be facing in the Final 4, Montesilvano (ITA), Kairat Almaty (KAZ) and the winner of the game between Benfica and Ekonomac Kragujevac from Serbia which will take place tonight.

Here are the results and final standings of our Elite Round:

El Pozo Murcia (ESP) 6-0 City'us Targu Mures (ROM)
SPORTING (POR) 4-4 EP Chrudim (CZE)

EP Chrudim (CZE) 1-3 El Pozo Murcia (ESP)
SPORTING (POR) 4-1 City'us Targu Mures (ROM)

El Pozo Murcia (ESP) 3-5 SPORTING (POR)
City'us Targu Mures (ROM) - EP Chrudim (CZE) - later

GROUP D Standings
1 SPORTING .....................3G 2W 1D 0L 13-8 7P
2 El Pozo Murcia ..............3G 2W 0D 1L 12-6 6P
3 EP Chrudim ..................2G 0W 1D 1L 5-7 1P
4 City'us Targu Mures ....2G 0W 0D 2L 1-10 0P

Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2010, 22:17
World Class Player

Congrats, great to see a portuguese futsal-domination developing in Europe!

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2010, 23:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier View Post
Congrats, great to see a portuguese futsal-domination developing in Europe!
Thanks and congrats to you too! I hope we meet in the final

Benfica e Sporting defrontam cazaques e italianos na final-four da UEFA Futsal Cup
29 novembro de 2010
in Record.pt

A UEFA Futsal Cup vai ter este ano pela primeira vez uma final-four sem equipas espanholas. Desde que a competição é organizada neste formato (a partir de 2006/07), estiveram sempre na final. Em 2006/07 tiveram mesmo dois representantes, o então detentor do troféu, Interviú, e o campeão do país, El Pozo.

Para além de Benfica e Sporting, os quatro mais fortes da Europa incluem um velho conhecido dos encarnados, Kairat Almaty (Cazaquistão), e um estreante, Montesilvano (Itália).

Os cazaques, que já estiveram na final-four em 2007/08 (ficaram em 4.º lugar) e 2008/09 (garantiram a medalha de bronze). Em 2005/06 estiveram em Lisboa a disputar a 2.ª fase de qualificação da UEFA Futsal Cup, empatando (3-3) com o Benfica na ronda inaugural. O jogo ficou marcado pelo protesto apresentado pelos encarnados na UEFA contra o Kairat Almaty, alegando irregularidades na inscrição de Neto. O organismo que tutela o futebol europeu acabou por não dar razão à equipa portuguesa.

Os italianos estão pela primeira vez na final-four, mas apresentam um plantel respeitável, que inclui alguns internacionais italianos. Atualmente estão em 1.º lugar na Série A, a um ponto do Marca Futsal, orientado pelo português Tiago Polido.

O sorteio para as meias-finais realizar-se-à cerca de um mês antes da final-four, na cidade anfitriã.

Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2010, 22:39
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
Benfica beats Sporting 4-2 and....

No final da partida os adeptos do Sporting atiraram foguetes que caíram muito próximo da bancada de imprensa e quase atingiram adeptos do Benfica, numa zona onde estavam algumas crianças. Esta situação provocou alguns tumultos nas bancadas.

Such Angels they are...
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2010, 22:49
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa View Post
Benfica beats Sporting 4-2 and....

No final da partida os adeptos do Sporting atiraram foguetes que caíram muito próximo da bancada de imprensa e quase atingiram adeptos do Benfica, numa zona onde estavam algumas crianças. Esta situação provocou alguns tumultos nas bancadas.

Such Angels they are...
In Futsal of all things? Really?

Unreal. I still don't see why we compete in these Mickey Mouse affairs really. I know it's big in the motherland and all but I'd like to dedicate resources used on underwater basket weaving competitions to more footy!

That's just me though.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:45
Rising Star

Teams: Benfica, Portugal NT, Bradford City FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
In Futsal of all things? Really?

Unreal. I still don't see why we compete in these Mickey Mouse affairs really. I know it's big in the motherland and all but I'd like to dedicate resources used on underwater basket weaving competitions to more footy!

That's just me though.
I wish they would put more money into the rugby team. Don't give a shit about athletics etc.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2011, 17:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

UEFA FUTSAL CUP 2010 - FINALS

We're in the FINAL!

Sporting beat this afternoon the hosts Kairat Almaty (KAZ) 3-2 in the first semi-final and qualified for the first time in our history to the Final of the UEFA Futsal Cup, which is the equivalent of the Champions League for this fast growing type of football.

I only watched the second half but that's where all the action happened. We opened the score by Divanei at 24' and made the second at 27' by Caio Japa.

The hosts managed to equalise with two goals by Léo Santana, one of their many quality Brazilians, but Caio Japa again put us ahead on the score only 16 seconds after their equalizer at 36'25.

That goal proved to be crucial as from then on we just controlled the last minutes of the match and booked a place in the Final that will be played on Sunday at 13:30 CET.

It could have been an all Portuguese final as Benfica played the second semi against the Italian champions Montesilvano, but they choked and lost 0-3.

3rd place play-off, 11.00CET
Benfica (POR) vs Kairat Almaty (KAZ)

FINAL, 13.30CET
SPORTING CP (POR) vs Città di Montesilvano (ITA)

Nelson Mandela
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2011, 18:29
World Class Player

Well then best of luck to Sporting in that final (probably not the last semifinal Benfica give away this season, I'm afraid I can see a streak coming there ). Bring the trophy to Portugal again!

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2011, 19:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier View Post
Well then best of luck to Sporting in that final (probably not the last semifinal Benfica give away this season, I'm afraid I can see a streak coming there ). Bring the trophy to Portugal again!
Obrigado Sr Cerveja. A classy benfiquista like you is unfortunately a dying breed.

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2011, 02:06
Forum Manager
Star Player

Good luck to Sporing since Benfica won't be able to fight for what is still theirs, the Uefa Futsal trophy we won last year.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 14:58
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis View Post
UEFA FUTSAL CUP 2010 - FINALS

We're in the FINAL!

It could have been an all Portuguese final as Benfica played the second semi against the Italian champions Montesilvano, but they choked and lost 0-3.

3rd place play-off, 11.00CET
Benfica (POR) vs Kairat Almaty (KAZ)

FINAL, 13.30CET
SPORTING CP (POR) vs Città di Montesilvano (ITA)
How'd you guys make out against the Italian champs?
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 20:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
How'd you guys make out against the Italian champs?
It took you that long to dig up this thread?

We lost 2-5 and deservedly so as the Italians were clearly the best team of that Final 4. Still I am very proud of seeing us reaching the final of the top club competition in this type of football.

How did you guys do in the 3rd place play-off against the Kazak champions btw?

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 21:19
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
It took you that long to dig up this thread?

We lost 2-5 and deservedly so as the Italians were clearly the best team of that Final 4. Still I am very proud of seeing us reaching the final of the top club competition in this type of football.

How did you guys do in the 3rd place play-off against the Kazak champions btw?
To be honest I have no clue, that's why I asked.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2011, 19:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
To be honest I have no clue, that's why I asked.
You lost on penalties and today you lost again, this time against us in the final of Taça de Portugal.

We went up 2-0, Benfica managed to equalise less than one minute before the final whistle with a dodgy goal but right in the beginning of extra time Deo scored the winner.

It's the 3rd Portuguese Cup won by Sporting in Futsal.

Nelson Mandela
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2011, 01:58
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
You lost on penalties and today you lost again, this time against us in the final of Taça de Portugal.

We went up 2-0, Benfica managed to equalise less than one minute before the final whistle with a dodgy goal but right in the beginning of extra time Deo scored the winner.

It's the 3rd Portuguese Cup won by Sporting in Futsal.
I don't follow Futsal, just hear a couple of things from time to time, looks like Benfica's pretty competitive in the sport as well.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2011, 20:39 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

CAMPEÕES!!!

Sporting won today the 2010/11 Portuguese Championship in Futsal by winning the 3rd play-off game against Benfica and making it 3-0. We won last weekend the first two games of the play-off at Luz (7-4, after penalties and 4-2) and today beat them again in Loures 5-4 after extra time after being down 0-3 a bit before half time. All the three games were very balanced and full of dramatic changes on the scoreboard but the final 3-0 leaves very little margin of doubt on who is clearly the best team in the country - and the second best in Europe, as last month we reached the final of the UEFA Futsal Cup, the equivalent of the Champions League in this fast growing and really exciting new type of football.

This win meant that we did the double this season as we also won the Portuguese Cup, also by beating our arch-rivals in the final.

This is Sporting's 9th Portuguese Championship title which means we consolidated our leadership in number of titles in Portugal. Benfica is the second on the list with 5 titles.

Nelson Mandela
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2011, 01:09
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
looks like we need to get ricardinho back

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in