OMT: SPORTING 1-1 FC Porto - Alvalade, 22.10.06 - PL Round 7 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 12:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
OMT: SPORTING 1-1 FC Porto - Alvalade, 22.10.06 - PL Round 7

At the 7th round...the first classic!

Sporting is coming out of a hard to swallow European defeat and FCP out of an easy win. However the results of both matches did not reflect exactly what happened on the pitch. FCP did not do enough to crush one of the worst teams of the Bundesliga and we certainly deserved at least a draw against probably the best team of the same league.

In any case this is now a different story and although the classics nowadays do not have the same weight in deciding the final positions of the big 3 as they used to, it is still very important to win them at home. From what I've seen from both teams until now I have to say that I believe Sporting can break the streak of bad results of the last few seasons and beat Porto.

Força SPORTING!!! :fero:

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 13:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Paulo Bento: «The aim is to win titles»
One year as main coach of the Lions

Transl. from Record.pt

Paulo Bento completes today one year as main coach of Sporting. 41 games, of which 28 were won, and plenty of emotions. He speaks to 'Record' of the "pride" he feels for representing the club, tells what he wants for the future and recalls the first day.

"At the time that I accepted there wasn't much time to think. But if I did accept the honourable invitation that I have received that was because I was convinced that I could be useful and contribute for all that Sporting can reach. Nevertheless, it was onbviously an important decision and very rewarding, personally and professionally."

Unanimous amongst Sporting's fans, the young manager is also grateful to the Lions. It was in Alvalade that he won titles and ended his career as a player. It was also there that he started his career as a coach, first at the U-19 (champion) and now at the main team. "I feel pride and satisfaction in a work to which I have dedicated myself with all the commitment and dedication. Basically, I've tried to use an opportunity that was offered to me with the aim of doing the best I can for the club that I've been working for in the last six seasons, where I finished one career and started a new one."

Praise

The quality of Bento's work is visible. But the coach wants more. "The aims are the same as always: to win titles, all those that are available and that I couldn't reach in the first eight months. It was that my purpose when I took the decision of being Sporting's manager and that will remain unchanged as long as I will be in this post."

Ambition is one of the qualities that Sporting's president, administrator and football director all appreciate in Paulo Bento. Soares Franco would like that he would "be like Ferguson, meaning that, independently from a less positive season, he could stay for many many years".

Leaders and friends, Carlos Freitas and Pedro Barbosa praise Bento in everything. The first maintains with him "a relationship of affinity and ilimited trust", the second recalls that since they were colleagues in Guimarães he could see him "as a coach".
-----------------------
Parabéns Paulo!

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 16:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Farnerud, Romagnoli and Miguel Garcia at the "classic"
Transl. from www.sporting.pt

Farnerud, Romagnoli and Miguel Garcia are back to Paulo Bento's call for the "classic" against FC Porto. Regarding the last call this time Abel, Carlos Bueno and João Alves are out.

List of players called:

Goalkeepers: Ricardo and Tiago.

Defenders: Anderson Polga, Marco Caneira, Tonel, Rodrigo Tello and Miguel Garcia.

Midfielders: Custódio, Carlos Martins, Paredes, Miguel Veloso, João Moutinho, Farnerud, Romagnoli and Nani.

Forwards: Alecsandro, Yannick Djaló and Liedson.

Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 17:03
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Anderson injurie is a big blow for Porto,who will play in his place!?
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 17:21 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber
Anderson injurie is a big blow for Porto,who will play in his place!?
probably Jorginho, whom the bimbos call "Domador de leões" :rollani: let us see who is going to tame who this time.

Nelson Mandela
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 17:24
BANNED!
Legend

Teams: Argentina, Russia, Greece, Israel, Czech Republic
Vamos Sporting.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 19:14
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
probably Jorginho, whom the bimbos call "Domador de leões" :rollani: let us see who is going to tame who this time.
Jorginho,maybe Assunçao no?!

Hi Purger.p
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 21:06
BANNED!
Legend

Hola Kleber.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 22:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Jorginho,maybe Assunçao no?!
Some say that if Jesualdo is coming for a draw he will use Paulo Assunção whereas if he is searching for a win it will be Jorginho to start.

In any case both are not worth 10% of Anderson.

Nelson Mandela
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 00:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Some say that if Jesualdo is coming for a draw he will use Paulo Assunção whereas if he is searching for a win it will be Jorginho to start.

In any case both are not worth 10% of Anderson.
I bet on Paulo Assunçao.

Purger is Ola not Hola.p
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:34 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Porto to examine Sporting chance

Friday, 20 October 2006
by Nuno Tavares from Porto
in uefa.com

Sporting Clube de Portugal's hopes of ending a five-year wait for the Portuguese title face a fierce examination in Lisbon on Sunday when champions FC Porto visit the Estádio José Alvalade.

Bento belief
Sporting have made an impressive start to the campaign, winning five of their six matches to stand level with leaders Porto in the Liga. However, they go into this summit meeting under a slight cloud having failed to take a point from FC Bayern München in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday, despite the Bundesliga outfit playing much of the second half with ten men. Nevertheless, coach Paulo Bento is confident his team can bounce back. "I don't see why we can't perform well against Porto and win in front of our fans," he said. "I'm sure we will achieve another objective - to take an outright lead at the top of the table."

Porto primed
Bento's belief has clearly infected his players, with precocious midfielder João Moutinho optimistic about their chances. "We can't feel sorry for ourselves - we need to focus on the Porto match," he said. "We'll work harder and I'm sure we'll benefit from the luck that we so sorely missed on Wednesday." There was only a little good fortune about Porto's 4-1 success against Hamburger SV in their midweek UEFA Champions League tie - the Bundesliga side's disallowed goal - as Jesualdo Ferreira's men continue to make amends for recent back-to-back defeats by Arsenal FC and SC Braga.

'Looking for points'

Victory at Sporting would leave Porto in what has become familiar territory over the past two seasons - all alone at the top - but Ricardo Quaresma sought to play down the importance of the game. "It's not decisive because the league is in its infancy," the winger said. "Having said that, three points are always very important and we are heading to the José Alvalade looking to collect all three." They did exactly that last term on their way to a 21st championship and though potentially missing midfielder Anderson due to a thigh injury sustained against Hamburg, a win on Sunday could set them on course for No22. Sporting, naturally, see things differently.

Nelson Mandela
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:01
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Even if we want to win, I feel Assuncao's the better choice over Jorginho who offers very, very little to the team. Just my two cents.

Can't wait for this game, will only get to watch the first half hour, then leave it taping upstairs in my room. After the first 30 minutes, it's time for El Clasico in the basement on the big screen. Then I'll rewind the Porto game and watch it again from the start.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 15:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

The BBC Football website did a feature on the big matches in Europe this weekend and this is what they have to say about the one today between the two best teams in Portugal:

PORTUGAL
Sporting v Porto
Sunday 22 October, 2000 BST

Pre-Match Standings
1. Porto - 15 points
P6 W5 D0 L1 F14 A3 GD+11
2. Sporting - 15 points
P6 W5 D0 L1 F9 A3 GD+6

Porto and Sporting Lisbon finished first and second in the league last season and are there already again this term, having kept four clean sheets each.

And Sporting, who have not won the title for four seasons, are hoping home advantage helps them maintain their good start after a midweek Champions League loss to Bayern Munich.

"I don't see why we can't perform well and win in front of our fans," said coach Paulo Bento.

"I'm sure we'll achieve another objective - to take an outright lead at the top of the table."

But Porto's Ricardo Quaresma is trying his best to play down the significance of the match with so much of the season still to play.

"It's not decisive because the league is in its infancy," he said.

"Having said that, three points are always very important and we are looking to collect all three."

Nelson Mandela
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 15:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
Even if we want to win, I feel Assuncao's the better choice over Jorginho who offers very, very little to the team. Just my two cents.
I think they are two totally different players but both are very different from Anderson. PA is more defensive than Jorginho and if he plays I feel it will be more difficult for Sporting to find space through the middle to break your defense. If Jorginho plays the space in the back will be open and our kids will create havoc.

I actually feel that the fact that Anderson is injured shows how dependent on him the current team is. FCP without him is like Barcelona without Ronaldinho or perhaps Real without Robinho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
Can't wait for this game, will only get to watch the first half hour, then leave it taping upstairs in my room. After the first 30 minutes, it's time for El Clasico in the basement on the big screen. Then I'll rewind the Porto game and watch it again from the start.
If you were born in Portugal perhaps you would be doing the opposite which is exactly what I will do...supporting in both cases the opposite team of yours.

Enjoy it anyway.

Nelson Mandela
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 16:24
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I hope for a draw.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 16:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

According to A Bola this afternoon, these are the probable line-ups for the big game tonight:

SPORTING
Ricardo
Caneira--Tonel--Polga--Tello
Paredes
Nani----João Moutinho
Romagnoli
Liedson---Yannick Djaló

FC Porto
Helton
Fucile--Pepe--Bruno Alves--Cech
Raúl Meireles--Paulo Assunção
Quaresma----Lucho
Lisandro López---Hélder Postiga

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 17:24
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger
In Spanish it is Hola.
Ah,sorry then.p
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 18:12
Rising Star

It would be awesome Nani and Anderson playing on the same match, what a shame Porto will be without the brazilian.

Sporting fans, isn't Nani way back at that formation? Maybe we will see a Paredes and João Moutinho combo at the back with Nani and Romagnoli more ahead.

What you think Filipe Reis, I though João Moutinho was a central mid and Nani would do better in a more advanced role to show his influence and creativity.

By the way, I will try to buy the kid on my PES6's master league!
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 18:24
BANNED!
Legend

Quote:
Ah,sorry then.p
La apología aceptó.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 19:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leone
It would be awesome Nani and Anderson playing on the same match, what a shame Porto will be without the brazilian.

Sporting fans, isn't Nani way back at that formation? Maybe we will see a Paredes and João Moutinho combo at the back with Nani and Romagnoli more ahead.

What you think Filipe Reis, I though João Moutinho was a central mid and Nani would do better in a more advanced role to show his influence and creativity.

By the way, I will try to buy the kid on my PES6's master league!
First of all leone, I want to tell you that flamenguistas will always be welcome in Sporting's forum!

Regarding your questions, Sporting plays, under Paulo Bento, always using the diamond formation. To be honest I do not remember one single time that this did not happen, at least from the start of the match, therefore I am 99.9% sure that the same will happen tonight.

Having said this, if this line-up is the correct one, tonight we will see Paredes taking the DM role, João Moutinho and Nani playing on the sides of the diamond both having a quite offensive role when the team holds possession and Romagnoli will be having the N10 role.

Nani is a very offensive player and a very mobile too so I feel this position is the right one for him. I am not very sure about the inclusion of Romagnoli as he's been quite irregular so far but hopefully he will have one of his nights and destroy Porto's defence with his magic feet.

It's true that for the good of beautiful football and from a neutral observer's point of view, it would surely be nicer to have Anderson playing tonight but I am anything but neutral tonight!

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in