OMT: UCL Group Stage Matchday 3: SPORTING vs Bayern München, Alvalade, 18.10.2006 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2006, 00:45 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
OMT: UCL Group Stage Matchday 3: SPORTING vs Bayern München, Alvalade, 18.10.2006

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
Group Stage Matchday 3
SPORTING v
Bayern München

Estádio José Alvalade, Lisbon, 20h45 (CET), Wednesday 18.10.2006

It's time to get back on the big European stage and host one of the top 3 best teams in Europe at the moment.

Sporting never faced FC Bayern but our European cups record against German teams is a very negative one. However this group of young but at the same time very ambitious and talented players already showed that they are not in this competition to watch the big ones play.

It will be a hard one but I believe we can do it!

Let's fill it up!!!

Força SPORTING!!!

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2006, 01:58 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Bayern pose problem for Sporting
in uefa.com

It is not difficult to admire the way FC Bayern München start each UEFA Champions League campaign. For the third successive year they have begun with two wins and the task of stopping their 100 per cent sequence on Matchday 3 falls to Sporting Clube de Portugal. A home win would see Sporting assume the leadership of Group B, with the other two teams, FC Internazionale Milano and FC Spartak Moskva, meeting in Italy.

• Sporting can be pleased with their own start, the Portuguese Liga runners-up immediately putting three points on the board with an impressive home victory over the Nerazzurri after defender Marco Caneira's stunning second-half volley capped a stirring performance.

• Paulo Bento's team, back in the UEFA Champions League group stage for the first time in six years, then went to the Luzhniki Stadium and came away with a 1-1 draw after Nani's second-half equaliser dashed Spartak's hopes. It was the first time a match in the competition had been played on a synthetic pitch and Sporting did not let Denis Boyarintsev's early goal affect them as they battled back.

First meeting
• It is the first time Sporting and Bayern have met in UEFA club competition and the records suggest the hosts can expect a difficult evening at the Estádio José Alvalade. They have never beaten German opposition in 12 games, with eight defeats and four draws. There have been three previous visits by German clubs to face Sporting in Lisbon in the European Champion Clubs Cup and only the 0-0 draw with Bayer 04 Leverkusen in the 2000/01 UEFA Champions League group stage prevents a clean sweep of home defeats.

• On 27 September Bayern scored twice late on to record their first victory against Italian opposition in eight years. Claudio Pizarro's 81st-minute opener and Lukas Podolski's goal in added time ensured the German champions the outright lead at the top of the section with maximum points.

Strong defence
• The win against Spartak on Matchday 1 at the Fußball Arena München came via four second-half goals. Again, Pizarro set the ball rolling, with Roque Santa Cruz making it 2-0. Bastian Schweinsteiger then sidefooted in with 19 minutes remaining before substitute Hasan Salihamidžić capped an emphatic victory. So for the third season running Bayern emerged from the opening two fixtures without a goal conceded.

Good record
• The Munich club have never lost in Portugal, their record showing two wins and five draws in seven visits in UEFA club competition. In home-and-away combat they have always come out on top in aggregate terms with their superiority being made to count back on home soil, with 23 goals scored in seven games. The fixture Bayern will not want to recall was the 1986/87 European Cup final when they lost 2-1 to FC Porto in Vienna's Ernst Happel stadium.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2006, 07:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Filipe, is it fair to assume we'll see Veloso for Paredes, Caneira for Ronny, and then one of Djalo or Alecsandro for Bueno in terms of changes to the starting XI from the Amadora game?

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampiăo, levaste 5 no Dragăo, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhaçăo!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2006, 14:34
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
I think that it's anyone's game. Sporting's playing ok as of late but they should be up for another European Giant so nothing's out of reach. Anyone know the average age of Bayern players? Inter's quite old
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2006, 15:19 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
Filipe, is it fair to assume we'll see Veloso for Paredes, Caneira for Ronny, and then one of Djalo or Alecsandro for Bueno in terms of changes to the starting XI from the Amadora game?
Yes, in what concerns the return of Veloso, Caneira and Djaló/Alecsandro but I think that PB will keep Paredes on the starting XI as he can play on the right side of the central diamond. I believe our starting XI will look like this:

Ricardo
Abel--Tonel--Polga--Caneira
Veloso
Paredes---Nani
Moutinho
Alecsandro--Liedson

Nelson Mandela
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2006, 15:21 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa
I think that it's anyone's game. Sporting's playing ok as of late but they should be up for another European Giant so nothing's out of reach. Anyone know the average age of Bayern players? Inter's quite old
Bayern's average age is quite low although not as low as ours.

Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2006, 20:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Here is the list of players called by Paulo Bento to face tomorrow the German champions:

Goalkeepers: Ricardo and Tiago.

Defenders: Anderson Polga, Marco Caneira, Tonel, Abel and Miguel Veloso.

Midfielders: Custódio, Paredes, Rodrigo Tello, João Moutinho, João Alves, Carlos Martins and Nani.

Forwards: Bueno, Alecsandro, Yannick Djaló and Liedson.

Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2006, 22:50
World Class Player

As usual before european matches, here are my best wishes to Sporting for the match against Bayern. Hope you can give the bavarians a good spanking. :thmbup:
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2006, 23:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier
As usual before european matches, here are my best wishes to Sporting for the match against Bayern. Hope you can give the bavarians a good spanking. :thmbup:
vielen danke! :smileani:

Nelson Mandela
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 00:15
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
vielen danke! :smileani:
You're welcome :smileani: But it's: "Vielen Dank!" Yet still I'm impressed you speak german, mate.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 00:30 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
You're welcome :smileani: But it's: "Vielen Dank!" Yet still I'm impressed you speak german, mate.
I can't say I do but I lived there for one year so there is always a little something that remains

Nelson Mandela
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 00:55
World Class Player

Where did you live in Germany? (hm, I somehow feel like having a 'deja vu' now, did I ask you this question before?)
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 01:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Where did you live in Germany? (hm, I somehow feel like having a 'deja vu' now, did I ask you this question before?)
I don't remember having told you but anyway I lived in Berlin from the summer of 95 to the summer of 96. Amazing time and amazing place!

Nelson Mandela
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 01:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
My prediction is 1-1.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 02:55 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber
My prediction is 1-1.
thank goodness! you predicted that we would draw against Inter so I'm pretty confident now

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 12:45 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Uefa.com Match Preview
Coaches cautious for Lisbon showdown

Wednesday, 18 October 2006
by Pedro Gonçalves & Manfred Christoph

Although the top two in UEFA Champions League Group B come face to face at the Estádio José Alvalade on Wednesday evening when Sporting Clube de Portugal take on FC Bayern München, both coaches are keen to play down the importance of the match in Lisbon.

'Important but not decisive'
Sporting are second in the standings having defeated FC Internazionale Milano on Matchday 1 before a 1-1 draw at FC Spartak Moskva, results which leave the Portuguese side two points behind their German opponents. Whatever the outcome on Wednesday, Paulo Bento does not believe the game will prove crucial in the overall scheme of things, saying: "It will be an important match against a quality team who currently lead our group, but this is not a game that will decide anything."

Three changes
The Sporting coach is likely to introduce Leandro Romagnoli, Pontus Farnerud and Ronny at the expense of Rodrigo Tello, João Alves and Yannick Djaló, and although three points would take his team above Bayern, avoiding defeat would satisfy him. "There could be new leaders in the group, and that is our wish," he said. "To achieve that, we must make Bayern suffer. We have to be strong in defence, get possession and know what we need to do when we lose the ball. We must make them play where they cannot harm us. Having said that, a less positive outcome, a draw, would still leave us in second place which gives us a good chance."

Magath dilemma
With Bayern taking maximum points from their first two fixtures, a third victory will put Felix Magath's men on the verge of the knockout rounds – a situation which leaves the coach caught between confidence and caution. "I am very optimistic," he said. "We can live with a draw but if we win we are almost through." That dilemma may have a knock-on effect on Bayern's lineup with Magath deliberating as to whether to start with three forwards - Lukas Podolski, Roy Makaay and Claudio Pizarro - as they did to positive effect in Saturday's 4-2 Bundesliga success against Hertha BSC Berlin.

Sporting strength

"We are not obliged to set the tone for the game," the coach said. "We don't have to play with three up front - but it is an option." It would be a brave decision and Magath is not underestimating Sporting, adding that "the match will require all our efforts". It is a feeling shared by Makaay who believes the hosts will provide a stern test of Bayern's credentials. "We mustn't underestimate them," the former Dutch international said. "They beat Inter so are obviously a strong side."

---------------------------------

This must have been written before Paulo Bento announced the squad for this game as in fact all the three players the journalist claims that might be launched for this game were not called.

Good tactic by Paulo Bento: he knows very well that in this group stage all games are important and decisive but it is good to say the opposite to take the pressure off of our less experienced players.
On the other hand it's true that we have done already much more than what most people expected from us so we have absolutely nothing to lose.

Força SPORTING!!!

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 14:53
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
I don't remember having told you but anyway I lived in Berlin from the summer of 95 to the summer of 96. Amazing time and amazing place!
Ah, the charme of the capital Yap, Berlin is a lovely city, I always enjoy being there a lot.
What did you do in Berlin? Study? Work?
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 14:54
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester United
Good luck, I hope you win.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 15:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Ah, the charme of the capital Yap, Berlin is a lovely city, I always enjoy being there a lot.
What did you do in Berlin? Study? Work?
I went there to visit a friend and ended up finding a job that allowed me to meet loads of people and have enough money to travel a lot.

Nelson Mandela
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 15:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15
Good luck, I hope you win.
Thank you, sir.

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in