United, Barcelona and Chelsea scouting Sporting Lisbon kids - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2006, 12:19 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester United
United, Barcelona and Chelsea scouting Sporting Lisbon kids

Manchester United are understood to be keeping a close eye on the progress of a number of the talented young crop of players at Sporting Lisbon.

Reports in the Portuguese press claim that United despatched a scout to Lisbon last weekend to take in Sporting's league clash with Pacos de Ferreira.

Sporting actually slipped to a 1-0 home reverse in the match, but United's intended targets all got a run-out.

The Premiership outfit were believed to be running the rule over centre back Miguel Veloso (20), midfielder Joao Moutinho (20, pictured), left winger Nani (19) and striker Djalo (20).

Veloso, Moutinho and Nani all played the full 90 minutes, while Djalo was summoned from the bench at half time as Sporting searched for a goal.

All four of the quartet have come through Sporting's youth system, a production line that also developed the skills of current United star Cristiano Ronaldo.

United have a good relationship with the Portuguese club, especially following the transfer of Ronaldo, and are now looking to ensure they are at the head of the queue for any emerging stars.

However, they are not the only club monitoring Sporting's latest batch of prospects with, unsurprisingly, Chelsea and European champions Barcelona also keeping up to speed with developments at Estadio Jose Alvalade.

Chelsea director of football Frank Arnesen has also visited the Portuguese capital this season to make a personal check on Sporting's youngsters, while Barca - who along with Chelsea are known to be chasing Porto's highly-rated Brazilian teenager Anderson - are keeping tabs as well.

Sporting have refused to comment on the speculation, with a spokesperson stating: "No club has contacted us on this subject."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?...rting+starlets
---------------

I admire Nani and Moutinho a lot, but i dunno about the 2 others, isnt djalo a striker? Correct me if im wrong cos im not 100% sure , I have nothing on Veloso though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2006, 16:35
Rookie

just media bla bla bla!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2006, 17:50
International

Moutinho should go to Italy or Spain, I dont think he will fit in the english game.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2006, 21:18
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Veloso is the son of a Benfica great and is an excellent defender who will hopefully be in Portugal's plans during one of the next two major tournaments.

O GLORIOSO

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2006, 21:58
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15
I admire Nani and Moutinho a lot, but i dunno about the 2 others, isnt djalo a striker? Correct me if im wrong cos im not 100% sure , I have nothing on Veloso though.
There's plenty of stuff about all those players in this same forum, you just have to look for it.

It's true that Man Utd sent scouts to watch our young players and so did Barcelona. In any case nobody is leaving before the end of the season.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Nelson Mandela
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:35
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
21/09/2006 13.40

Sporting: Nani And Moutinho Tagged At $45 Million

The two latest home-grown pearls to emerge and shine at Sporting Lisbon are already being coveted by foreign clubs. Both João Moutinho and Nani are considered to be the next great Portuguese stars and the Leões are determined to hang onto them – or be rewarded handsomely by a lucrative sale.

The rumour mill in Portugal has ground out various clubs as following the dynamic duo; FC Barcelona amongst them. Various emissaries from other clubs have also been spotted in the most expensive seats at the José Alvalade stadium over the last couple of home games and the Lisbon club has heeded the warning.

João Moutinho has already renewed his contract until 2010, which allowed the club to raise his buyout clause to 20 million Euros. The Nani situation is being solved, although the club will find it difficult to get him to renew beyond the current 2008 expiry date unless they offer him a juicy raise in salary and perks.

The intention is to convince the player – who scored on his national debut and has also been on target at club level – to stay alongside João Moutinho and form part of a new ‘Golden Generation’, not just with the Selecção but also with the Leões. Conversations have begun, but it’ll be a tough arm-wrestle to get the player and agent to accept a 20 million Euro buyout clause.

Aaron Marcus

goal.com

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:01
Premier Player

Teams: Man utd
Utd have first option on sporting players
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by man utd forever
Utd have first option on sporting players
Whoever told you that is wrong.

It's true that the fact that Carlos Queiroz is working for United is a plus for your club in terms of good contacts in Sporting but there is no such "first option" agreement between the two clubs.

If you want them it's easy: pay more.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Nelson Mandela
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2006, 12:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Crazy about the kids

Transl. from A Bola

One week ago it was only Barcelona winking at the kids of the Lions' cantera. Now, it seems that the European champions are not the only ones to be paying attention to the young players coming up from Paulo Bento's squad.
News in the English press, suggest that José Mourinho's Chelsea and Carlos Queirós' Manchester United have already sent scouts to Alvalade to see João Moutinho, Nani, Miguel Veloso and Yannick Djaló in action.
In January, as the president Soares Franco recently guaranteed, none of the talents will leave, but will the management of the club resist to the millions' temptation at the end of the season? For the moment it's time to get protected by raising the buy-out clauses.

The win over Inter Milan caused surprise in Europe's football and it was a wake up call to the big clubs. With which players did Sporting, away from the Champions League in the last six seasons, manage to beat one of the best squads of Europe and one of the most serious candidates to be present at the final of that big competition? Those that witnessed attentively the superb display of the Lions certainly was amazed with the attitude of the kids from the cantera that Paulo bento launched in such a special game. João Moutinho and Nani are no longer unknown, but the same cannot be said about Miguel Veloso and Yannick Djaló.

After that night several scouts of many European clubs started to be present in Sporting's games to see in action these young players of great future that promise to pay back the investment made by the club in the formation sector. Around one week ago it was Barcelona, to where Ricardo Quaresma in July 17 2003, was transfered for six million euros (plus the loan, for three seasons, of Fábio Rochemback), but according to Sky Sports there are others interested such as Chelsea and Manchester United.

The news recall Sporting's tradition in forming good players, such as Cristiano Ronaldo who now shines in Old Trafford, and that the club, even due to the existing good relationship and the co-operation deal signed with Sporting, tries to guarantee the preference of some of the players next to Sporting's board, whereas Chelsea is already marking closely the players, having sent Frank Arnesen to Alvalade, for that game with the Italians.

New buy-out clauses

Sporting still did not receive any concrete proposal and Soares Franco already guaranteed, recently, that none of the young talents will leave in January, during the transfer window. But the club is attentive to the moves of the market and tries to protect itself against clubs with a larger financial capacity through the raise of the buy-out clauses of some of the players. For that reason, the contracts of Miguel Veloso and Yannick Djaló, as well as the one of Nani are in the process of being re-negotiated. And it is not to exclude the chance that also João Moutinho, following a wage raise, will also increase his buy-out clause.

Nelson Mandela
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2006, 14:31
Premier Player

Teams: Man utd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
Whoever told you that is wrong.

It's true that the fact that Carlos Queiroz is working for United is a plus for your club in terms of good contacts in Sporting but there is no such "first option" agreement between the two clubs.

If you want them it's easy: pay more.
United ink Sporting deal
By Mark Buckingham - Created on 23 May 2003

PREMIERSHIP champions Manchester United have signed a co-operation agreement with Portuguese giants Sporting Lisbon.

The Red Devils have been locked in discussions with Sporting since October regarding a partnership between the two clubs.

The deal comprises the potential for player exchanges with United having held a long-standing interest in Sporting starlets Ricardo Quaresma and Cristiano Ronaldo.

The two clubs will also work together in a plethora of footballing areas, including scouting, training and youth development.

United's current assistant manager Carlos Queiroz was formerly Sporting coach and has played a part in the negotiations.

Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson is confident the partnership will prove lucrative for both clubs.

I'm delighted that we are joining forces with Sporting," Ferguson told the club's official website.

"We've had many meetings with the club and they have the same ambitions, foresight and philosophy as us, and I know it will be a great partnership.

Ferguson's sentiments were echoed by United chief executive Peter Kenyon, who foresees a fruitful, long-term partnership.

He stated: We are very pleased to have agreed this alliance with Sporting, a club that shares our belief in the importance of developing young footballing talent.

"I am confident that in the coming years both clubs will benefit greatly from this relationship.

Sporting president Miguel Ribeiro Telles feels the alliance is a recognition of his club's commitment to rearing quality young footballers.

We are very proud to be embarking upon such a close co-operation with Manchester United, and we see this agreement as recognition of the investment we have made in the development of young players in Portugal," said Telles.

"It is now up to both clubs to build a partnership that allows Sporting and Manchester United to nurture the very best young talent in the game.

United already have agreements in place with Royal Antwerp from Belgium, Brommapojkarna of Sweden, Shelbourne in Ireland, Parramatta Melita Eagles of Australia and Norway's Oslo East while they are also due to announce a link-up with Welsh outfit Connah's Quay.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2006, 16:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by man utd forever
United ink Sporting deal
By Mark Buckingham - Created on 23 May 2003
It was never denied that there is a deal between the two clubs and that the overall relationships are very good, surely better than those with Moaninho's Chelsea, for instance. But from there to jump into conclusions and see that has some kind of rule for Sporting to become some sort of "feeding club" for Man Utd goes a a veeeeeery long gap.

I personally would rather see Joo Moutinho and Nani playing for you than for Chelsky but as I've said before you will have to open the flood gates of sterling if you want to grab any of these two.

Nelson Mandela
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2006, 13:45 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Agreed, I wouldnt think Sporting were forced to sell them to United but theres certainly a deal which would favour United if we were competing with other teams for Sportings players.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2006, 11:13 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2006, 13:12
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15
of course CR would love to have Nani playing with him...but so would Deco

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in