Third Qualifying Round Champions League

Sporting Club - Udinese (ITA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2005, 15:00
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
fairly decent draw, for both teams i think...regarding sporting in particular, and taking in account what other teams were on the line..they cant really complain about lady luck

udinese had a great season in the serie A...are they keeping the same players? who's new to the team?

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2005, 15:15
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Udinese,Lokomotiv Moscow,Russia NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
udinese had a great season in the serie A...are they keeping the same players?
no,Pizarro,Jankulovski and Kroldrup left...

Quote:
who's new to the team?
Vincent Candela, Luis Vidigal, Vitor Barreto, Fausto Rossini, Marco Motta, Cesare Natali and other unknown (for u) players

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2005, 04:10
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Champions’ League draw:
Shakhtar and Sporting await duo Friday 29 July, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inter and Udinese will face Shakhtar Donetsk and Sporting Lisbon respectively in the third qualifying round of the Champions’ League.

The Nerazzurri, who finished third in Serie A last term, were hoping that today’s draw in Nyon, Switzerland, would be kinder but they’ve landed the Ukrainian giants.

There will be an extra twist to the game seeing as Donetsk boss Mircea Lucescu is a former Inter tactician.

Un-seeded Udinese, who have never taken part in the European Cup, will also have to be at their best to get the better of last season’s UEFA Cup runners-up Sporting Lisbon.

The 16 games will take place over two legs on August 9/10 and August 23/24.

Juventus and Milan, last season’s beaten finalists, will enter the Champions’ League at the group stage, which starts on Tuesday 13 September.

The draw for the group stages will occur on Thursday 25 August in Monaco.

Third qualifying round
Basle 1893 v Werder Bremen
Celtic or Artmedia Bratislava v Partizan Belgrade or FC Sheriff
Shakhtar Donetsk v Inter
Shelbourne or Steaua Bucharest v Rosenborg
Man Utd v Debrecen or Hajduk Split
Malmo or Maccabi Haifa v Dynamo Kiev or FC Thun
Everton v Villarreal
Liverpool or Kaunas v CSKA Sofia or Dinamo Tirana
Sporting Lisbon v Udinese
Valerenga or FC Haka v Clube Brugge
Rapid Vienna or F91 Dudelange v Rabotnicki or Lokomotiv Moscow
Anderlecht or Neftchi v Slavia Prague
Trabzonspor or Anorthosis v Rangers
Brondby or Dynamo Tbilisi v Ajax
Real Betis v Monaco
Wisla Krakow v Panathinaikos

channel4

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2005, 23:53
International

ROME (AFP) - Former Inter Milan and Udinese coach Alberto Zaccheroni is backing his two former clubs to reach the group stages of the Champions League despite their awkward third qualifying round draws.

Inter Milan will play Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk, while Udinese face beaten UEFA Cup finalists Sporting Lisbon.

"As qualifying round draws go it could have thrown up something easier, but Inter and Udinese are both technically superior than their opponents," he said.

"Shakhtar are strong and Inter would probably have wished for a less difficult match, but they have no reason to be afraid and should qualify.

"Udinese also have a great chance of progressing in their first Champions League adventure.

"Sporting are not one of the more dangerous sides and Udinese will be full of enthusiasm as it's their first appearance in the competition."

Inter coach Roberto Mancini was less confident about his team's chances.

"It was a tough draw," he said. "We will be playing against a side who are at a more advanced stage than us as they have already begun their championship.

"We will play the first leg away from home, which is no real advantage, but we are hopeful."

Shakhtar coach Mircea Lucescu, who is a former Inter coach, predicted an upset against his old employers.

"Inter are not yet a team, they change too many players every year," he said.

I didn't know they smuggled that many drugs into Italy, really.

Sporting not one of the more dangerous sides? You've gotta be shitting me. Sporting were the biggest team they could've possibly drawn.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2005, 20:28
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Pinzi to miss Sporting trip? Wednesday 3 August, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is bad news for Champions League contenders Udinese, as Giampiero Pinzi could miss out on their clash with Sporting Lisbon.

The young midfielder collided with a teammate during a game between ranks this week and limped off with what was thought to be a bruised knee.

However, tests have now highlighted a bad strain to the ligaments in his right knee and he'll definitely be forced to sit out today's friendly test with Everton.

The real problem regards his availability for the Champions League preliminary round tie in Lisbon on August 9.

Pinzi, a former Lazio youth product, has been told he must rest for the next 10 days, leaving Coach Serse Cosmi (pictured) with precious few alternatives in midfield.

channel4

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2005, 12:31
Star Player

Teams: United, Atletico
I think Sporting will beat Udinese but it will be hard, Udinese havnt really built on last years team which they should have instead of selling players
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2005, 04:24
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Well in the uefa cup final i supported Cska,but now i will go for Sporting,i want to see then against real madrid or barcelona.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2005, 04:52
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Pinzi drops out of Lisbon trip Monday 8 August, 2005

Udinese’s hopes of qualifying for the Champions League proper have hit problems as both David Di Michele and Giampiero Pinzi have been ruled out.

The Friuli outfit is set to face Portuguese giants Sporting Lisbon at the Estadio Jose Alvalade on Wednesday evening in the first leg of the preliminary round.

They had already been hit by the news that David Di Michele was out of action for this match when he damaged the ligament in his left ankle last week.

Now midfielder Pinzi has also been ruled unfit for the Euro clash, as he has not been able to recover from his right knee injury in time for the trip to Portugal.

The former Lazio youth product suffered the setback during training a fortnight ago and told reporters, "It'd take a miracle for me to play in Lisbon."

Coach Serse Cosmi is nonetheless confident of their chances against last year’s beaten UEFA Cup Finalists.

“I have always trained my teams to be Scudetto winners,” he insisted in an interview with UEFA.com. “I am satisfied with the way our pre-season training is going and the team is progressing rapidly in terms of tactical movements and finding an identity.”

channel4

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2005, 01:04
International

Martins will be out for 3 weeks, Luis Loureiro will also miss the game tommorrow.

Neither I think was considered to be in the starting-11 though, maybe Martins.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2005, 14:45
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

i think peseiro might actually start loureiro if he was available lol

but imo suits much better sporting that he's away

good luck for tonight, 3 portuguese teams in CL !

game is at 21.15 GNT btw

AH yes! douala seems to be on his way out lol incredible :rollani:

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2005, 15:11
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Asian
Hi, do you have any picture of the new away kit?:notlist::notlist:
http://www.sporting.pt/loja/images/S...300605_121.jpg

And as for today, I'm pretty sure we're gonna win
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2005, 16:41
Rising Star

edson and rocha will miss the match =/ -> www.record.pt

now we´re screwed... edson, loureiro, martins, rocha, pinilla.. and also douala might miss the match if those incompetent sell him...

so who the **** is gonna play? is he going to put rogerio in the midfield? ... =/

this is not looking good
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2005, 19:22
International

Beto could go out on left, maybe play Marques in the middle.

Custodio at DMC, with Rogerio.

Moutinho playing in central midfield spot. Sa Pinto on the right, Doula on the left(I don't know who brought up that he wasn't starting but he's definitely playing today).

Liedson and Deivid up front...

Last edited by BeiraMarense; August 10th, 2005 at 19:28.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2005, 20:05
World Class Player

Faltas tu ( o leão )! I back A bola's frontpage from today ... Força! Good luck Sporting ... complete the portuguese Armada for the Champions League.

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)

Last edited by Bier; August 10th, 2005 at 21:13.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2005, 20:56
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunomigueljorge
now we´re screwed... edson, loureiro, martins, rocha, pinilla.. and also douala might miss the match if those incompetent sell him...
Rochemback won't play either. Honestly, what the hell is our medical department doing?
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2005, 23:49
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

CL: Iaquinta silences Sporting Wednesday 10 August, 2005

Udinese could not have asked for a better start to their European adventure, as Vincenzo Iaquinta's penalty sunk Sporting in Lisbon.

The Friuli outfit entered its first ever Champions League match as the underdogs, travelling to Portuguese giants Sporting Lisbon without injured stars David Di Michele and Giampiero Pinzi.

Nonetheless, Serse Cosmi’s men had a bright start and rattled the crossbar with Vincent Candela’s long-range effort after just three minutes.

Sporting were dominating the overall early play and Deivid De Souza’s effort was deflected off target at the end of a fine team move, then Morgan De Sanctis had his palms stung by a Sa Pinto piledriver.

Udinese concentrated on the counter-attack and it paid off after 27 minutes when Miguel Garcia clumsily hacked down ex-Treviso star Barreto just inside the box, making the penalty kick inevitable. Vincenzo Iaquinta stepped up and buried the penalty past Ricardo to give the Italians a shock lead in Lisbon.

De Sanctis was again tested soon after, at full stretch to tip Rodrigo Tello’s free kick round the near post. Anderson Polga’s header was over the bar and Sulley Ali Muntari charged down another effort from the Brazilian.

There was bad news for Udinese on the stroke of half-time, as Barreto did not recover from the knock he took during that penalty incident and made way for former Sporting Lisbon midfielder Jose Luis Vidigal.

It should nonetheless have been 2-0 going into the break, as a searching Antonio Di Natale pass found Iaquinta only for Beto and Ricardo to crowd him out as he prepared to shoot from eight yards. De Sanctis had the last word of an entertaining half, tipping Custodio's fierce strike over the bar.

The fiery Lisbon crowd led penalty appeals for Cesare Natali’s challenge on Liedson, but the referee waved play on, then last year’s beaten UEFA Cup Finalists saw Rogerio’s goal disallowed for an offside position.

Cosmi tried to sneak another goal late on by introducing attacking midfielder Stefano Mauri for defensive rock Muntari.

Sporting were increasing the pressure and Sa Pinto thumped the upright with a sudden snapshot from a tricky angle, then Douala was clearly offside when he tapped in the loose ball from six yards. Silva’s chipped pass struck Natali on the arm inside the area, but it was unintentional and the defender’s hand was right alongside his torso.

The final stages were more dangerous for Udinese, as Moutinho struck the side-netting, Liedson curled inches wide and the home side dominated possession, but Cosmi’s men hung on for this remarkable result.

There were worrying scenes in stoppages when Valerio Bertotto suffered a large cut to his brow following a clash of heads with Sa Pinto. The veteran defender was stretchered off as medics attempted to stem the bleeding. Playing in 10 men, they survived a late scare with Anderson Polga drilling wide from 10 yards.

The second leg will be played at the Stadio Friuli on August 23 and will decide whether Udinese can enter the Champions League proper for the first time in their history.

Sporting 0-1 Udinese

Scorers: Iaquinta pen 28 (U)

Sporting Lisbon: Ricardo; Miguel Garcia (Rogerio 58), Polga, Beto, Tello; Custodio (Nani 73); Moutinho, Sa Pinto, Douala; Liedson, Deivid (Silva 79)

Udinese: De Sanctis; Bertotto, Natali, Felipe; Zenoni, Obodo, Muntari (Mauri 72), Candela; Di Natale (Rossini 82); Iaquinta, Barreto (Vidigal 44)

Ref: Vassaras (Gre)

channel4

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2005, 03:04
World Class Player

ahahahaha
from the Udinese-Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier
Bet Dias da Cunha is pretty pissed with the european 'system' by now.
and what do I read now in A Bola?
Quote:
Dias da Cunha reclama «arbitragem perfeitamente vergonhosa

O presidente do Sporting, Dias da Cunha, não poupou críticas à arbitragem do grego Kyros Vassaras, justificando assim a derrota desta noite frente à Udinese.
Dias da Cunha
ASF
«A arbitragem foi perfeitamente vergonhosa em diversos capítulos. Não sei se a UEFA vai ter conhecimento do que se passou, mas não deixou de ser uma péssima jornada para o futebol em termos de arbitragem», afirmou o presidente dos «leões», mostrando-se optimista quanto à vitória no jogo da segunda «mão»... caso não se repita o mesmo tipo de arbitragem.

«Justiça ou injustiça não são conceitos no futebol, mas claramente que apenas existiu uma equipa no relvado. O Sporting fez um belo jogo e vulgarizou por completo a Udinese, que apresentou-se abaixo das equipas que actuaram em Alvalade no campeonato passado», finalizou.
Thank you DDC ... you made my day again

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2005, 03:11
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

dias da cunha has a broken CD :rollani:

maybe he should be more concerned about warning the likes of liedson, silva, deivid, to start hitting the net instead of diving all the time, or playing constantly on offside...

sporting tried to win, ended up losing, that happens in football, good luck in italy :thmbup:

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2005, 03:29
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
dias da cunha has a broken CD :rollani:

maybe he should be more concerned about warning the likes of liedson, silva, deivid, to start hitting the net instead of diving all the time, or playing constantly on offside...
Totally agreed :thmbup:
However ... good luck in Italy also from my side ... 2:1 should be possible.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in