OMT: UCL Group Stage Matchday 1: SPORTING 1-0 Inter Milan, Alvalade, 12.09.06 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 03:59 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
OMT: UCL Group Stage Matchday 1: SPORTING 1-0 Inter Milan, Alvalade, 12.09.06

UCL MD1: HAMER TO REF SPORTING V INTER
Sunday, 10 September 2006 14:19:30
MILAN - Alain Hamer of the Luxembourg federation will referee Tuesday's Champions League Matchday 1 clash between Sporting Lisbon and Inter at the Estadio Jose Alvalade (kick-off at 20:45). He will be assisted by linesmen Eric Castellani (France) and Francis Crelo (Luxembourg), and by fourth official Fredy Fautrel (France).

Hamer has refereed Inter on two previous occasions: Alaves 3-3 Inter (2000/01 UEFA Cup round of sixteen first leg) and Shakhtar Donetsk 0-2 Inter (2005/06 Champions League third qualifying round first leg).

inter.it

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 11:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
OMT: UCL Group Stage Matchday 1: SPORTING vs Inter Milan, Alvalade, 20h45, 12.09.06

The big day for our return to the Champions League is coming and although we've got a hell of a group I am hopeful that our kids will show Europe once again the quality of our football.

VIVÓ SPORTING!!!

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 12:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Good luck.

I think Sporting should play for a draw,Inter is too strong in the midfield to play an open football.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 13:25
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber
Good luck.

I think Sporting should play for a draw,Inter is too strong in the midfield to play an open football.
Obrigado.

When a team plays for a draw that is a passport to lose. I realise that if we get 1 point out of this match it's already a good result but if we go for this game with a "draw mentality" we are dead before starting.

Sporting should pack the midfield but never stop thinking about attacking and scoring goals as that is the only way to think if you want to achieve anything in football.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 13:38
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
Obrigado.

When a team plays for a draw that is a passport to lose. I realise that if we get 1 point out of this match it's already a good result but if we go for this game with a "draw mentality" we are dead before starting.

Sporting should pack the midfield but never stop thinking about attacking and scoring goals as that is the only way to think if you want to achieve anything in football.
So you think Sporting should play with two strikers!?,i will go for a 4-5-1 formation,but the problem is that Custodio,Martins and Moutinho are all injuried.:undecide:

Btw,last time you were in the Cl,2 draws and four loses was your record!p
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 13:44
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
So you think Sporting should play with two strikers!?,i will go for a 4-5-1 formation,but the problem is that Custodio,Martins and Moutinho are all injuried.:undecide:
You know very well that Sporting's tactical display is a midfield diamond with two strikers. Of course this does not mean that we can't occasionally change it but this is the way the team is used to play for ages and I don't see any reason to do it differently tomorrow.

Inter will not come to this game with a full attacking formation and it's good to know that in form Cambiasso will miss the game due to injury.

João Moutinho is not injured but of course we will miss Carlos Martins and Custódio. In any case there are chances that Paredes might return and I am very confident that Miguel Veloso can start showing his class in Europe too.

Quote:
Btw,last time you were in the Cl,2 draws and four loses was your record!p
Yes, we had Real Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen and Spartak Moscow in our group but I don't see why that makes you smile.

Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 13:51
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah,is Paredes and not Moutinho who is injuried....

Btw,what was your Cl record with Octavio Malvado in 97-98!?,you won against Lierse or what?
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 14:06
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Yeah,is Paredes and not Moutinho who is injuried....

Btw,what was your Cl record with Octavio Malvado in 97-98!?,you won against Lierse or what?
Sporting CP - Bayer Leverkusen 0-2 1-4
Lierse SK - Sporting CP 1-1 1-2
Sporting CP - AS Monaco 3-0 2-3

1 AS Monaco (FRA) ...........6G 4W 1D 1L 15-8 13P
2 Bayer Leverkusen (GER) ...6G 4W 1D 1L 11-7 13P
3 Sporting CP (POR) ...........6G 2W 1D 3L 9-11 7P
4 Lierse SK (BEL) ................6G 0W 1D 5L 3-12 1P

At that time there were only 6 groups in the UCL and only the group winners and the two best runner-ups qualified to the quarter finals directly, so we finished there.
Both Monaco and Leverkusen qualified and both only lost for the finalists of that season, Juventus and Real Madrid.

Nelson Mandela
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 14:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I'd love to see otherwise, but all I can see here is an Inter win, unfortunately.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 14:23
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
I'd love to see otherwise, but all I can see here is an Inter win, unfortunately.
No way,i am gone to support Sporting,they will win. p
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 14:31
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
No way,i am gone to support Sporting,they will win. p
That's exactly what I said.

I said I'd like to see Sporting win, but I don't see it happening.

You never seem to understand what I'm saying.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 14:40
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
That's exactly what I said.

I said I'd like to see Sporting win, but I don't see it happening.

You never seem to understand what I'm saying.
No,what i mean is that when i support Sporting in the eurocups they win in 90 per cent of the cases.
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 14:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
No,what i mean is that when i support Sporting in the eurocups they win in 90 per cent of the cases.
the new Zandinga was found! p

Nelson Mandela
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 14:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
the new Zandinga was found! p
p
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 17:55
XT's Demi-God
World Class Player

Good Luck to Sporting.

buve - the shit on the heel of Italian football.

RIP CLAUDIO LIPPI.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

Sent from my Computer using a keyboard.

Irish commentator during 94 WC - 'The Baggio brothers, are of course, not related.'
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 23:16
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony75
Good Luck to Sporting.
Thanks

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 23:32
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Sporting treating Inter with caution
Monday, 11 September 2006
by Graham Hunter from Lisbon
in uefa.com

There was a distinct aroma of ambition and the even stronger smell of realism at the Estádio José Alvalade as Sporting Clube de Portugal prepared to return to the UEFA Champions League, against FC Internazionale Milano, after a six-year absence.

Humble approach
Paulo Bento's Sporting are feeling confident as they sit joint-top of the Portuguese Liga following opening wins against Boavista FC and CD Nacional. Yet the 37-year-old coach knows the Italian giants represent a far stiffer test than Sporting's domestic rivals. "Inter have a fabulous team and we have to be patient, balanced and humble in our approach," Paulo Bento said. "We must take the game to them, but there will be periods when they are on top. We must not lose our self-control at those times and will then need to reassert ourselves."

Winning start
Roberto Mancini's Inter squad contains FIFA World Cup winners (Patrick Vieira, Fabio Grosso and Marco Materazzi) plus extensive UEFA Champions League experience (Olivier Dacourt, Zlatan Ibrahimović and Hernán Crespo). All those players, bar Materazzi, signed for Inter this summer and will be keen to announce their presence in Europe. They have already helped Inter lift the Italian Super Cup with a 4-3 success against AS Roma before kicking off the Serie A season with Saturday's 3-2 victory over ACF Fiorentina.

'Defensive flaws'
Sporting can at least take heart from the fact Inter's defence has been less than watertight. "It is unusual for an Italian team to concede five goals in two games and we will try to take advantage if they show defensive flaws," Paulo Bento said. "However, Inter also scored seven goals in winning those games so we must be very attentive in defence - particularly at set-pieces where Inter are strong."

Stalemates
Remarkably, the last three meetings between the sides in Lisbon all ended 0-0 - in the 1990/91 UEFA Cup, in the 2002/03 UEFA Champions League qualifiers, and last month's pre-season friendly. The Nerazzurri, despite missing weekend goalscorer Esteban Cambiasso plus Julio Cruz, Alvaro Recoba and Nicolás Burdisso through injury, and yet to record any competitive win in Portugal, will be much improved according to their ex-Sporting star Luís Figo.

Figo's coming home
"This match will be completely different from the friendly because it is vital to start well in the Champions League and our aim is to win it this season," said the veteran. "Coming back to this stadium and to my first big club is very emotional for me. But I am an Inter man now and I will play to win. Perhaps we have made some early season defensive errors in Italy but we will correct that."

Mentality key
Inter coach Mancini added that he would make late decisions on two key defenders. "Marco Materazzi is getting closer to fitness but I won't decide until the matchday and he won't play unless 100 per cent fit. The same goes for Fabio Grosso who was tired after the Fiorentina game. However, what is more important than who plays or what strategy I use, will be whether my team show a winning spirit."

Probable teams

Sporting:

Ricardo; Miguel Garcia, Anderson Polga, Tonel, Marco Caneira; João Moutinho, Miguel Veloso, Nani; Leandro Romagnoli; Liedson, Carlos Bueno.

Inter:
Francesco Toldo; Javier Zanetti, Iván Córdoba, Walter Samuel, Fabio Grosso; Patrick Vieira, Olivier Dacourt, Dejan Stanković; Luís Figo; Adriano, Zlatan Ibrahimović.

Nelson Mandela
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2006, 02:37
International

So how should we expect Sporting to play? What are your strong points, weak points? Players to watch, boring players? In form, out of form? etc
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2006, 03:00
Rising Star

Teams: SL Benfica
Not a Sporting fan, but:

Strong points: creativity in midfield. Moutinho, Nani, Romagnoli. Liedson in front. Never gives up, and wins many split balls. A good actor aswell.

Weak points: defense. Slow, specialy on the sides. Ricardo has huge problems with crosses. They're also a very young and inexperienced team and that can be decisive on the UCL.
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2006, 03:55 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
MANCINI'S SQUAD FOR SPORTING V INTER
Monday, 11 September 2006 13:56:01

APPIANO GENTILE - Roberto Mancini has named a 20-player squad for Tuesday's Champions League Group B Matchday 1 game with Sporting Lisbon (Estadio Jose Alvalade at 20:45):

Goalkeepers: 1 Francesco Toldo, 12 Julio Cesar Soares, 22 Paolo Orlandoni

Defenders: 2 Ivan Ramiro Cordoba, 4 Javier Zanetti, 6 Maxwell, 11 Fabio Grosso, 13 Maicon, 23 Marco Materazzi, 25 Walter Samuel, 77 Marco Andreolli

Midfielders: 5 Dejan Stankovic, 7 Luis Figo, 14 Patrick Vieira, 15 Olivier Dacourt, 21 Santiago Solari, 91 Mariano Gonzalez

Strikers: 8 Zlatan Ibrahimovic, 10 Adriano, 18 Hernan Crespo

inter.it

===================

FIGO: "EMOTIONAL TO PLAY HERE"
Monday, 11 September 2006 19:53:58
LISBON - He's a legend for Portuguese football. And he is even more so for Sporting Lisbon. It was Luis Figo who represented Inter in the pre-Matchday 1 news conference at the Estadio Alvalade. "Playing here will always be emotional for me," he said. "This stadium is beautiful, but I am a professional. I will be wearing an Inter shirt tomorrow night and I will do everything to help my team win."

A team that has been described as even more competitive than last season...
"Actually, our squad was of a very high level last season and we could have won the Champions League. We have strengthened even more this season and we feel ready to win everything."

You are player with the most European experience.
"This may be, but it's not that important. Everyone is important, it is fundamental to express ourselves as a team."

In theory it could be strange for you to score in this stadium...
"I don't like talking about who will score or who won't, it's not something I ask myself. For me it is important that Inter win. If I could choose I hope both these teams - who are important for me - go through to the round of sixteen."

You seem to be more satisfied with the advanced position you're playing in now.
"I have always said that I just like playing. My coach decides if I will play on the wing or in the middle. When you are a footballer you should feel happy about being on the pitch and with the ball between your feet. That is what is important for me."

Your opinion of this Sporting Lisbon side?
"They are a young team led by a very ambitious coach. They are very talented and have a great desire to win."

inter.it

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....

Last edited by Filipe Reis; September 12th, 2006 at 12:08.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in