Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
João Moutinho: O puto maravilha

20 years old
70 Official games for Sporting's 1st Team
50 League games
13 European games
7 Portuguese Cup games
5 Goals (4 League, 1 Portuguese Cup)
38 International Caps (4 "A" level, 9 at U-21).
Currently on a streak of having played 64 games in a row for SCP.

Portuguese League 04/05:
15 games (12 starts), 1046 minutes, 1 Yellow Card.

Portuguese League 05/06:
34 games (34 starts), 2956 minutes, 4 goals, 3 YCs.

Happy 20th Birthday to a great champion.
Champion in talent, champion in work ethic and champion of humility.

in Luso Football

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2006, 02:19 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

JOÃO MOUTINHO in Champions Magazine, September 2006

Notes
A mature, talented centre midfielder with creativity, stamina and vision, plus the ability to score goals and take spectacular free kicks. He is under contract to Sporting until 2010, with a reported £7 million (10M EUR) buy-out clause. Age 19.

The story so far
In 18 months, João Filipe Iría Santos Moutinho has made a big impact on Portuguese football. He made his debut for Sporting in January 2005; five months later he was playing in the UEFA Cup final and making his international debut not long after that. Last season he helped Sporting break the Benfica-Porto duopoly and scored the goal that clinched their ticket for the UEFA Champions League. And he's still in his teens.

Moutinho comes from a sporting dynasty. His mother was an athlete, his father, older brother and cousin were all footballers. "I always liked football and was lucky to have a footballer for a father," he says. "I remember going with him to the club, kicking a ball around for hours. My parents seemed very happy that I wanted to pursue a career in sport."

He joined Sporting at 13, spurning advance's from Portugal's other elite clubs, at the behest of his parents who were mindful of the Lisbon side's reputation for nurturing the likes of Luís Figo, Paulo Futre and Cristiano Ronaldo. It wasn't long before his talent was the talk of the club's fans. He is only 5ft 7in (1,70m) and less then 10st (63kg), but Moutinho doesn't lack for courage and never shirks a tackle. He is making a name for himself combining the qualities of a classic playmaker with those of a tireless box-to-box player and he already has the maturity to dictate the tempo of a match. He isn't tall but is a decent header of a ball. He was named best newcomer and best midfielder at the end of his first season in the SuperLiga.

Moutinho made his international debut against Egypt in 2005, and appeared in two World Cup qualifiers. He didn't make Scolari's 23 for Germany, but looks sure to be central to Big Phil's plans for Euro 2008.

Targets for 2006/07
Make an impact in the Champions League, ideally firing Sporting into the last 16; and to taste international football more regularly.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 127 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2006, 03:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

10 M Euro buyout clause?

Filipe, can you confirm this?

I'd think he needs a new contract within a year or so, because some big club will definitely pay that buyout after his European exposure this year.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *

post #4 of 127 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2006, 12:36 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
10 M Euro buyout clause?

Filipe, can you confirm this?

I'd think he needs a new contract within a year or so, because some big club will definitely pay that buyout after his European exposure this year.
It's good that you ask because in fact they are wrong. When a journalist doesn't know usually they guess but in this case they got it very far from the truth.

João Moutinho signed a 5 year deal with Sporting in June 2005 and the buy-out clause is of 20 Million Euros.

Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 127 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2006, 19:50 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I've just found an interesting short article describing João Moutinho on a quite good Spanish website called Fútbol Factory.
Here is the translation from the Spanish original:

João Moutinho
(João Filipe Iría Santos Moutinho)

He was born on September 8th, 1986 in Portimão (Portugal). Born in the Algarve region, he spent his childhood in Portimão, where he stayed until he was 13, when he was spotted on a U-13 tournament by Sporting and Benfica.

His father, a Benfica fan, was a footballer who gained some fame through being a very prolific striker in the amateur leagues. This circumstance was enough for him to have football in his blood but not to become enchanted by Benfica, as the kid opted by choosing the club of Alvalade, where he had a spectacular progress.

At the age of 17 he was already the leader of the B team of Sporting and immediately he joined the first team in the pre-season, but the competition avoided his debut at the time.

Later, coach José Peseiro gave him his debut on January 23 against Gil Vicente in Barcelos and although in the beginning it was said that he had no place in the midfield side by side with Hugo Viana, soon it was obvious that this wasn't true and Moutinho started to show his enormous talent and potential.

João won a place in Sporting's midfield and he has played in the European Cups against Feyenoord, Middlesbrough, Newcastle and AZ, although the game where he really shined was in a game conting for the Portuguese Cup against Benfica in Estádio da Luz, in spite of not managing to reach the final then.

Moutinho is a versatile midfielder (61kg and 1,70m) gifted with a great working capacity and a great deal of creativity, both on his feet as well as on his head, as apart from being technically gifted, he has an amazing capacity to read the game and is very intelligent. No doubt this kid that besides all this has a character and a personality that lead to think that he will not lose his way, may become in one of the references of Sporting and of the Portuguese football of years to come.

Currently he has a youth contract (charging 1.500 Euro per month) and Sporting should accelerate immediately the improvement of his deal if they wish to retain their new jewel, as candidates to "fiancées" will surely be plenty.

Nelson Mandela
post #6 of 127 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2006, 23:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

That article is a bit old, right Filipe? Moutinho's not on the youth contract anymore I thought. I remember him and Nani getting extensions with higher buyout clauses(20 M Euros each) and Djalo and Veloso were next.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #7 of 127 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2006, 23:52
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester United
Quote:
10 M Euro buyout clause?
Thats peanuts to United, but somehow I dont believe its true,

Now Adu is here, Moutinho, Nani, Torres to follow would be great. p
post #8 of 127 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2006, 23:55
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15
Thats peanuts to United, but somehow I dont believe its true,
Read the very next post.

Filipe said he signed a 5 year deal with a 20 M Euro buyout clause.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #9 of 127 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2006, 23:56 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
That article is a bit old, right Filipe? Moutinho's not on the youth contract anymore I thought. I remember him and Nani getting extensions with higher buyout clauses(20 M Euros each) and Djalo and Veloso were next.
yes, it's not very recent but I thought it had an interesting synthesis of him as a player. You're right about the clauses too.

Nelson Mandela
post #10 of 127 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2006, 23:58
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Read the very next post.

Filipe said he signed a 5 year deal with a 20 M Euro buyout clause.
Thanks for clearing that up, I think he is a great talent, but if its a new contract I would imagine it would be a lot more than 20m euros, maybe filipe meant £s.
post #11 of 127 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2006, 00:01
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up, I think he is a great talent, but if its a new contract I would imagine it would be a lot more than 20m euros, maybe filipe meant £s.
Nah, it's probably right.

Sporting would bite your hand off if you offered 40 M Euros for Nani and Moutinho. They'd fly them to Manchester immediately.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #12 of 127 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2006, 00:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
No, I meant Euros. It is a lot of money for a 20 year old player but something tells me that he will not leave already at the end of this season. I can't say the same about Nani though.

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 127 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2006, 00:03
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Imagine what Bento could do with 40 M Euros.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #14 of 127 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2006, 00:05
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
No, I meant Euros. It is a lot of money for a 20 year old player but something tells me that he will not leave already at the end of this season. I can't say the same about Nani though.
whats the story on that boy, why is he benched in recent games??
post #15 of 127 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2006, 00:36 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Read the last post on Nani's thread on this forum and you might have an idea of the reasons behind that.

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 127 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2006, 00:37 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Imagine what Bento could do with 40 M Euros.

:drool:

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 127 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2006, 13:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

João Moutinho - Renovation is coming soon

Translated from A Bola

The remarkable career of João Moutinho since he ascended to the first team of Sporting, in December 2004, did not pass unnoticed to the footballing Europe and much less to the responsible staff of the Lions. In this sense, it's part of the club's plans to propose a renovation of contract to the young footballer. There have been already contacts in that sense, but the negotiations didn't start yet. The current contract is valid until 2009 but, everything points at an extension until 2012, contemplating also a significant wage raise. The increase in the value of his buyout clause, which is for now of 20 million euros, it is not out of the plans as well.

The conversations haven't started yet but it will not take long until João Moutinho and Sporting's leaders can sit around the table to start discussing the question of the contract renovation. For now, there were only some initial talks between the administrators of the club and the player to know of his availability in reviewing his deal, with João Moutinho seeing this possibility in good terms, although nothing concrete has been even mentioned. In theory it's not absolutely prioritary to start already now taking care of this issue, as the player is safe by contract until June 2009, but the truth is that it's very easy to find arguments that can support the idea of the Lions' leaders.

Firstly, João Moutinho is one of the most regular players of the squad and, at this point, his wages do not correspond to the performance he presents on the pitch, therefore, it starts to become crucial to raise the numbers on the salary of the young athlete. Then, the giants of world football have scouting sections more and more developed and there is a large group of those interested in the number 28 of the Lions, being also the participation of Sporting in the Champions League a privileged stage for one more talent made in the "cantera" of Alvalade. In this frame, to avoid that any shark may be ready to pay the 20 million euros expressed in the buyout clause of the midfielder, and take him away from Alvalade, it's also in the task list of the Administration a considerable increase in the value of the buyout clause to amounts even less affordable.

To gain a negotiating margin

Facing the interest that João Moutinho is raising, the Lions want, in this way, to gain a negotiating margin for an eventual process of talks with a big European club. Associated with the increase of his salary and the raise of the buyout clause, is also the extension of the current contract until, probably, 2012, meaning that, the new deal should have an identical length to the one that was proposed (and accepted) to the other two young lions: Miguel Veloso and Yannick Djaló. In these cases, everything is agreed. The only thing missing is the signature of the two players on their new contracts.

----------------------------------

It looks like Sporting's Board was reading us last night. p
Moutinho is getting a new deal and those who want him will have to pay what he is worth.

Nelson Mandela
post #18 of 127 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2006, 02:53 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

In the League, the Lions always won every time the number 28 played as number 10:
João Moutinho at the centre of a consolidated team

The consolidation of a basic first XI coincides with betting on João Moutinho as maestro of the attacking moves.

by Jean-Paul Lares and Luís Miguel Ferreira
Translated from O Jogo

The elimination from the European competitions gave way to the end of the squad rotation policy that dominated the first months of the current season, in what concerns Sporting's starting line-up.

Without the overcharged match schedule caused by the participation in the UEFA competitions, Paulo Bento can, now, bet on solidifying processes, based on a basic XI, making changes accoring to the tactical needs - taking obviously into account also the physical constraints, i.e. injuries. That was very clear with the team chosen to face Setúbal and, above all, with the repetition of the same starting line-up in the reception of Académica.

For this new period of his management, Paulo Bento took an important tactical decision, that only occasionally he had used in the past: on the contray to what it used to be the habit, João Moutinho, did not take one of the wing sides of the midfield diamond, but rather took the role of organiser of the attacking manoeuvre of the team, playing in the central lane.

Being certain that this option does not, necessarily, have a definite character, the truth is that the results give credit to it, as Sporting came out as a winner of all the home matches on which the 28 jersey played the role of number 10. In the current season, João Moutinho started - from the kick off - in that mission against Bayern, in Munich (0-0) but, in our League, he helped beating Marítimo, Naval, Setúbal and Académica. This successful bet should be kept.

Nelson Mandela
post #19 of 127 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:43
Star Player

Teams: Portugal, Sporting
too much hype
post #20 of 127 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:28 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto
too much hype
if there is someone on Sporting's current squad that deserves all the hype, that player is exactly João Moutinho.

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in