Nani: A star is born - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:24 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Nani: A star is born

Dream Debut For Nani

If I was Ricardo Quaresma I'd be worried because Nani is already as good as he is and is only going to get better as long as he wants to and has the right coach to guide him.
Unless Scolari shifts Ronaldo to 2nd striker I don't see Quaresma dislodging either Ronaldo or Nani.
The Sporting production line of wingers is again on display; Ronaldo, Nani, Quaresma, Boa Morte, Simão, everywhere you turn they are there.

Nani's contract runs out on June 2008, to negotiate a contract extension is absolutely vital because he's represented by Jorge Mendes of Gestifute Sports Agency who took Ronaldo to Manchester when he only had 10 months left on his contract. History cannot repeat itself by us being forced to negotiate a player simply because his contract is running out.

The future is bright if we remain alert and competent. No excuses.

in Luso Football
by André Figueiredo

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:29
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester United
He is a great player, similar debut to C Rons man utd debut.
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 18:25
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I do not agree he's already better than Quaresma.

He's very good and promising, but does not have the electric ability of Quaresma to turn a game on it's wheel.

Also, Filipe, you shouldn't be proud of Boa Morte. p

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 23:53 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
I do not agree he's already better than Quaresma.

He's very good and promising, but does not have the electric ability of Quaresma to turn a game on it's wheel.

Also, Filipe, you shouldn't be proud of Boa Morte. p
The reason why I think Nani is at this point better than Quaresma is linked with the fact that Nani is a much bolder player than what Quaresma was at his age and still is.

There is no doubt that Quaresma is an amazing wizzard with the ball but overall Nani is already today a much more complete player.

I am not a fan of Boa Morte but when I see him consistently in the first XI of a mid-table Premiership club for a number of years I have to admire the guy and be proud that he came out from our schools.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2006, 20:22
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
He played well today, IMHO. The opposition committed tons of fouls against him. My question is, can Portugal produce anything other than wingers :dielaugh:

O GLORIOSO

post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2006, 06:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

NANI: PORTUGAL'S NEW TEEN SENSATION
http://www.fifa.com/en/WorldLeagues/...ticleid=124190

--

The city of Lisbon has produced more than its share of footballing gems over the years, and now Luis Carlos Almeida da Cunha, or Nani, is the latest pearl unearthed at the Sporting Lisbon academy. After the likes of Luis Figo, Ricardo Sa Pinto, Hugo Viana and Cristiano Ronaldo, the scouts from Europe's top clubs are now flocking to watch Nani bamboozle Portuguese defences.
Scarcely two years ago, Sporting played a friendly against Manchester United in which another young Lisboan burst into the international consciousness by defeating the English giants almost single-handedly. The following day, Sir Alex Ferguson signed his side's tormentor, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Today, Ronaldo is Nani's number one fan and dreams of his compatriot joining him in the Premier League. "I would love Nani to come and play in Manchester with me," he declared during the national team's get-together for their match against Poland. And the English club's directors appear to feel the same way, with "Sir Alex" and his assistant Carlos Queiroz reportedly trying to snap up the young star last summer. In the end, Filipe Soares Franco, chairman of the Portuguese club, managed to hold onto his man and spare his supporters a repeat of the Ronaldo episode after stipulating: "Nani is not for sale, not today and not in the winter transfer window. For the time being, we're not interested in any transaction."

As for the player himself, he feels content at Sporting and is loathe to fly the nest too soon. "If I leave Sporting, it will only be for a big club. I'm young and very ambitious," he proclaims when asked to comment on the countless approaches. However, if he continues to string together the kind of top-notch performances he has been producing for over a year now, it is difficult to see how the Lisbon club's directors will be able to resist the overtures of the major European powerhouses. With the player's contract expiring in June 2008, they will want to capitalise on their prize asset ahead of that date rather than see him depart on a free transfer.

At the home game with Uniao Leiria on 2 October, a look around the stands of the Jose Alvalade Stadium offered an insight into the scale of 'Nani-mania'. What with representatives of Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan and AC Milan, the talent scouts almost outnumbered the fans!

Head boy in a class of kids

Those sent to observe the player did not travel in vain either, as the object of their attention set about showcasing the full panoply of his abilities. Courtesy of numerous delightful passes, bursts and bewildering close control, the right-sided midfielder was the chief architect of the Lions' 2-0 win, capping his virtuoso performance with his side's first goal.

The fact that only Sporting have kept up with pacesetters and reigning champions FC Porto at the top of the Portuguese championship can be largely attributed to the team's young cubs. Thrown in at the deep end by coach Paulo Bento last season, Nani (19), Joao Moutinho (20), Miguel Veloso (20) and Yannick Djalo (20) have helped lift the Lisbon outfit up to second place in the league. With 29 appearances under his belt and a tally of four goals last season, Nani could scarcely have dreamt of making a better start to his first year in the domestic top flight.

Born in the Lisbon suburb of Amadora, where he used to indulge in kickabouts with Manuel Fernandes, now of Portsmouth, Nani started his career with Real Sport Clube de Massama before joining Sporting's youth academy. His natural technique and vision had always marked him out as a talented midfielder, but his cool head, strength and eye for goal quickly elevated him to prodigy status. Courtesy of these qualities, he was able to power through the ranks to make his Superliga debut at the age of just 18.

First cap yields first goal

His performances in the championship soon earned the player a call-up to Portugal's U-21 side for what would turn out to be a disappointing UEFA European Championship campaign on home soil (they finished bottom of their group). Last August, Nani was expecting to be selected again for the 2007 qualifying competition, but this time around, the call came not from Jose Couceiro, the coach of the Esperanças (U-21s), but from senior team supremo Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Once the legendary Luis Figo announced his retirement, the race to take over his right-wing berth was on. And so it was that, on 2 September, Nani made his first appearance for the full national team, semi-finalists at the last FIFA World Cup™, in a friendly against Denmark. One hour later, he had scored his first international goal and, though the Iberians ended up losing the game 4-2, their new attacking midfielder had announced his international arrival in style.

A few weeks later, his emergence was confirmed in another prestigious setting when Sporting, inspired by a livewire Nani, beat Inter Milan 1-0 in their UEFA Champions League opener. On matchday 2, he produced more of the same, grabbing the equalizer as the Lisboans returned from Spartak Moscow with a precious point (1-1).

By the time Sporting's third Group B match against Bayern Munich had come around, Nani had been widely earmarked as the Portuguese side's danger man. And though Sporting may have gone down 1-0 on the night, the ranks of Nani's admirers were swelled by the addition of another huge name in European football, Felix Magath. Speaking after the game, the Bayern coach said of the youngster: "He's one of the most gifted young players in Europe, and what's more, he's stronger than I thought he was."

With talent to spare and Luis Figo's place in the Portuguese national team, Nani is unquestionably one of the rising stars of European football.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2006, 13:59
Star Player

Did you think of actually putting a working brain on me this time around?

Last edited by Filipe Reis; November 3rd, 2006 at 16:19.
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2006, 18:16
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Get out of here, you stupid troll.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2006, 18:18
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutOofd
Trolling all over the place aren't ya shitbrick?

Last edited by Filipe Reis; October 27th, 2006 at 22:22.
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2006, 18:26
Xtratime Legend

post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2006, 06:24
Star Player

Nani is promising i dont like Sporting but gotta admitt your yotuh academies are good.
post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2006, 09:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralj
Nani is promising i dont like Sporting but gotta admitt your yotuh academies are good.
Nice to hear that from a Benfica fan.

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2006, 09:53
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutOofd

Awesome edit, Filipe - I love it! p

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2006, 14:44
Roland Romeyer
Premier Player

Teams: Saint-Etienne
The way Nani plays let everyone think - included Felix Magath - that he is a future very great player.
Love the way he plays.
Obviously Sporting is able to get very good players from the youth academies... that's great

Teams I like: Slovan Bratislava (Slovakia), Peñarol (Uruguay), Chicago Fire (USA), Volgar Gazprom Astrakhan (Russia), Vannes (France), Dundee FC (Scotland), Arsenal (England) and Hammarby (Sweden).
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2006, 12:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Coach talks about low curve on performance
Paulo Bento: «Nani must wait for his chance»

by João Lopes
Transl. from Record

Paulo Bento guarantees that Nani has been reacting in a positive way to the "regime" to which he's been submitted since the game with FC Porto, the last time he was a starter. According to the coach, the midfielder "has even worked very well", giving signs of wanting to "recover something that he lost."

And almost not giving a chance for someone to ask him, the Lions' coach explained what was it that Nani lost. "He's passing through a phase through which any player can pass through. Furthermore, at his age, it's natural that he is more unstable. He will have to face this in a natural way and wait for his chance", asuures Paulo Bento, reminding that, although he's been left on the bench, the wizzard "didn't stop playing".

"If I would be on his place, with his age, to be used in every Sporting game, for such a long period, I wouldn't be disappointed. I would be very happy", added the main coach of Alvalade's club.

Success
Refusing to answer when asked if Nani would be "blinded by the lights" with the status that he suddenly gained inside the squad - "You'd have to ask that to him" -, Paulo Bento, however, did not refrain himself of leaving a message to the young talent of the Lions.

"He must learn how to cope with success. And success, for him, was to play very often and to go on playing very often. He must learn to live with this situation, which doesn't mean that he will have to be a starter in every single game", concluded.

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 99 (permalink) Old November 17th, 2006, 13:38 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Nani is 20 years old today, but he wouldn't mind waiting for a few days more:
“Winning in Milan would be a great birthday present”

Return to the first XI can happen against Marítimo

by António Bernardino
Translated from O Jogo

Nani - the "artistic" name of Luís Carlos Almeida da Cunha - should be congratulated today. The 20th anniversary of this talent from Sporting was anticipated by O Jogo, that did not let the date pass without notice. Also for professional reasons, today will not be one day like any other - "To be 20 is so important as any other age" -, but, just like any other birthday bot, the creative midfielder does not reject a few presents...evenif they will be offered a few days late.

"Beating Inter Milan would be an ecellent birthday present. Yes, that would be a special gift. It will be a very important game for us in the Champions League, and I think that the result of that game can be decisive for our ambitions in the tournament", says the player.

Furthermore, the game with the "nerazzurri" will be a special occasion to Nani - at 20 years of age, he has the possibility of debuting in one of the mythical stages of European football. "It is special to be able to play in a stadium like the one in San Siro. Normally, it is a full packed venue, what gives more pleasure and also more responsibility to a player. Besides that, I will have again the chance to cross my ways with Figo, someone that I admire very much", confesses.

The retrun to the starting line-up in the game with Marítimo, next Sunday - just before the Champions League match -, is far from being faced by Nani as a...present. Excellent would be if Sporting wins, with a special goal: "I don't know if I will be a starter, but, if that happens, I will face that fact in a relaxed way. A good gift is if Sporting wins the match - and, if I can score, it's even better."

------------------------------------

PARABÉNS, NANI!

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 99 (permalink) Old November 17th, 2006, 13:46
Xtratime Legend

Happy birthday Nani.
post #18 of 99 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2006, 00:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Player profile: Nani's year to remember

by Paul Saffer & Hugo Pietra
in Magazine of www.uefa.com
Friday, 17 November 2006

It did not take Nani long to show the rest of Europe why Sporting Clube de Portugal rate their young midfielder so highly. An hour into only his second UEFA Champions League game, against FC Spartak Moskva, Nani picked up the ball in the opposition half, laid it off to Liedson then darted forward to collect the Brazilian's return pass. One touch took the 19-year-old beyond the Spartak defence. He rounded the goalkeeper then, from a tight angle, lifted it into the net. It was the one moment of brilliance from Sporting in a match that Spartak dominated, but it was enough to earn the Portuguese side a point that keeps their hopes of reaching the knockout stage alive.

Intense celebrations
Nani, who turns 20 today, is modest about the goal and the spectacular back-flip with which he celebrated it. "I thought about making the one-two and with my speed I believed I could score," Nani told uefa.com. "It was a hard angle to score from but the ball went in. It was my first goal in the Champions League and I celebrated it intensely. It was a good shot but I was a little bit lucky."

Opportunities taken
It was even more impressive considering he has been a Sporting regular for less than a year. "At first it all happened too quickly but it was a dream for me to get to the senior Sporting squad," Nani said. "The coaches gave me the opportunity and I grabbed it thanks to my belief in my ability. The talented midfielder has also broken into the full Portugal squad and made his debut in September. "It was an amazing sensation being able to play alongside Portugal's top players," Nani said. "Now that initial rush has passed and I only want to work and show my talent. If I'm with the Portugal team that's because I have the qualities to be there. Now I have to continue my work to help the team and grow as a player."

Inter test
Nani spent this week with the Under-21 squad continuing their preparations for next summer's European finals, having played in that competition on home soil this year. But the games keep on coming, and Sporting go to FC Internazionale Milano on Wednesday knowing defeat would be fatal for their UEFA Champions League hopes. "We have to play like we have been doing, with the same attitude," Nani said. "It will be important to keep to our style and our playing qualities like having a lot of possession. We have to believe that anything is possible and we must think of Inter as a normal team." Playing at an arena like the San Siro is an incentive, though. "For me it's an extra dose of motivation," he added. "It gives you extra will to play in a full stadium against a great team."

Interest
Sporting defeated Inter 1-0 at the Estádio José Alvalade on Matchday 1 but the Italian champions have since moved into second place after Paulo Bento's side picked up just one point in two games with FC Bayern München. Nani's own performances against the German giants won praise from Felix Magath, while Manchester United FC have also openly courted the starlet. "It is always nice to know there are clubs interested in you," Nani said. "However I am feeling very good at Sporting at the moment. This is a great club and I am very satisfied here."

Derby date
As a local, the forthcoming Lisbon derby in the first weekend of December is special to Nani, who grew up in Amadora playing street football with another Portugal international Manuel Fernandes. Nani helped Sporting to a 3-1 win at the Estádio da Luz last season, now he wants a repeat. "Last year we played against Benfica to win and we did," he said. "I hope we can do the same this year. The supporters love to win against our rivals and we will try to give them another victory."

'Five-star individual'
Nani is one of several youngsters starring for Sporting at the moment, and they are united in respect for the birthday boy. Miguel Veloso said: "He is very quick and has rare skill. He is also a very strong player. He's the kind of persons that supports you when you need it. He is a five-star individual." Yannick Djaló added: "He treats everyone the same way. Nani is a very joyful person. Everybody can see he's a tremendous player."

Nelson Mandela
post #19 of 99 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2006, 12:20
Premier Player

right now, I work for semanario desporto jovem... I believe some of you know this paper... a youth sport newspaper, well i attend to several youth games now, and i must say, our future will continue to be bright...

the only bad surprise i had, was about Paim, he doesn't look the bomb the papers told
post #20 of 99 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2006, 14:11
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balakov10
right now, I work for semanario desporto jovem... I believe some of you know this paper... a youth sport newspaper, well i attend to several youth games now, and i must say, our future will continue to be bright...

the only bad surprise i had, was about Paim, he doesn't look the bomb the papers told
Funny you mentioned that, someone in the Benfica forum was ready to trade Simao for Paim in a heartbeatp
Proven player vs a young hope.

Can you post anything about Benfica's youth (or lack thereof) in our forum?
thanks
P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in