we need a forum description! - Xtratime Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 10:56 Thread Starter
Administrators
Xtratime Legend
 
Inácio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Portugal
Teams: SL Benfica
Posts: 24,666
we need a forum description!

yep, its time to get this brand new forum a description

wally has made a great work with the porto's sub-forum one ( ) so lets move our asses and get one for sporting as well, quickly !

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
Inácio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 18:09
Premier Player
 
Join Date: 02 2003
Posts: 1,032
18 portuguese leagues, 13 portuguese cups, 5 portuguese super cups, 4 portuguese championships, 1 cup winners cup winners...and the proud birth of a lot of european football legends. the lions are much more than a club, they're an elite
Balakov10 is offline  
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 19:55
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Filipe Reis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Sweden
Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Posts: 36,665
I propose that we wait for more than one proposal and then vote democratically...as we've done for the Portuguese Forum description...

just out of curiosity...Balakov: what do you exactly mean with elite?

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Filipe Reis is offline  
 
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 20:08
Premier Player
 
Join Date: 02 2003
Posts: 1,032
nothing special, just a joke because everyone calls us an elite club..and sometimes even some sporting individualties wants to be called like that...
Balakov10 is offline  
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 20:22
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Filipe Reis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Sweden
Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Posts: 36,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balakov10
nothing special, just a joke because everyone calls us an elite club..and sometimes even some sporting individualties wants to be called like that...
if there is a thing that irritates me about being a Sporting fan is having the name of our club linked with those that you call "our individualities" or some sort of imaginary "elite"

If you really know Sporting as a club and Portugal as a country you know very well that Sporting is not a club having as supporters a small group of "meninos da linha" or a couple of sleazy lawyers à la Dias Ferreira or João Rocha style...

Sporting is, was and it will always be a club from the people and to the people and all the so called "aristocratic craddle" gibberish is just a typical "slogan de 5 tostões" sold to people that would like one day in their sad lives to belong to some pseudo-"elite"

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Filipe Reis is offline  
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 20:26
Premier Player
 
Join Date: 02 2003
Posts: 1,032
I agree 99% with u...

the other 1% it's about João Rocha, he was a good president though...the only who made some force against Pinto da Costa
Balakov10 is offline  
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 00:36 Thread Starter
Administrators
Xtratime Legend
 
Inácio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Portugal
Teams: SL Benfica
Posts: 24,666
wow guys, im very impressed, u both giving :thmbdown: to that "elite" issue

its pathetic yes coz every club has people from every social class and thats the way it should be

anyways, a lil note...both the benfica forum and the porto sub-forum are counting the portugal championships as portuguese league titles , so feel free to do the same

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
Inácio is offline  
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 13:32
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Filipe Reis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Sweden
Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Posts: 36,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
wow guys, im very impressed, u both giving :thmbdown: to that "elite" issue

its pathetic yes coz every club has people from every social class and thats the way it should be
it's good to know that you think like that because there is a good part of your club's fans that really believe in that same crap talk about Sporting being supported only by the "upper classes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
anyways, a lil note...both the benfica forum and the porto sub-forum are counting the portugal championships as portuguese league titles , so feel free to do the same
that is a mistake because what currently is called "Liga" can only be matched to what used to be called "Campeonato Nacional da 1a. Divisão" and NOT by the old "1a.Liga" or by the "Campeonato de Portugal" as these competitions were played in very different formats and were not recognised as representative of the whole country.

The trick of adding the titles of 1a.Liga and Campeonatos de Portugal to the real Portuguese titles is used by Benfica and Porto fans to boost their number of titles which is in itself wrong therefore if someone needs to change it it's you and not us.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Filipe Reis is offline  
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 13:51
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
kleber's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2004
Location: Faro,Portugal
Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Posts: 44,603
Btw,can Kleber do the Sporting forum description or what?p
kleber is offline  
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 15:16
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Filipe Reis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Sweden
Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Posts: 36,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber
Btw,can Kleber do the Sporting forum description or what?p
why not? anybody can make a proposal and then we vote

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Filipe Reis is offline  
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 15:49 Thread Starter
Administrators
Xtratime Legend
 
Inácio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Portugal
Teams: SL Benfica
Posts: 24,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
it's good to know that you think like that because there is a good part of your club's fans that really believe in that same crap talk about Sporting being supported only by the "upper classes"

.
u know why that happens, coz even i myself know personally several sporting fans who always come up with that elite crap talk, and MEAN it lol

its absurd, coz all u have to do is go to a game and see how u cant distinguish a sporting from a benfica fan if they have switched jerseys/ scarfs :rollani:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis

The trick of adding the titles of 1a.Liga and Campeonatos de Portugal to the real Portuguese titles is used by Benfica and Porto fans to boost their number of titles which is in itself wrong therefore if someone needs to change it it's you and not us.

everyone uses it so i was just pointing it out as a reminder, not making any kind of pressure for "u" to change it:rollani:

as u know benfica doesnt need it to still have more titles

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
Inácio is offline  
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 16:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Filipe Reis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Sweden
Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Posts: 36,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
u know why that happens, coz even i myself know personally several sporting fans who always come up with that elite crap talk, and MEAN it lol
yes, that's true but also in that it is impossible to differentiate our sets of fans because in both you find intelligent people and idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
its absurd, coz all u have to do is go to a game and see how u cant distinguish a sporting from a benfica fan if they have switched jerseys/scarfs :rollani:
no doubt about that ...I wouldn't say the same about a Porto fan though

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
everyone uses it so i was just pointing it out as a reminder, not making any kind of pressure for "u" to change it:rollani:

as u know benfica doesnt need it to still have more titles
OK, a bit of history is always good to clarify things:

Campeonato de Portugal 1921-1938

From 1921/22 up to and including 1937/38 the "Campeonato de Portugal" was played as a cup competition (i.e. by the knock out system). The winners were "Campeão de Portugal", or Champions of Portugal.

In 1934/35 an experimental Campeonato de Liga was started, but the winners were not considered national champions (its winners being called Campeão de Liga) until the 1938/39 season, in which an official league championship, the Campeonato da Primeira Divisão, was introduced (whose winners were called Campeão Nacional), replacing the Campeonato de Portugal; in addition, a new cup competition, the Taça de Portugal (Cup of Portugal) was started.

Number of Wins Campeonato de Portugal 1921-1938

4 Sporting CP
4 FC Porto
3 CF "Os Belenenses"
3 SL Benfica
1 Carcavelinhos FC
1 CS Marítimo
1 Olhanense

Number of Wins Campeonato da Ia Liga 1934-1938 (unofficial)

3 SL Benfica
1 FC Porto


I guess that the "confusion" in certain red minds comes from the fact that the title of "Champions of Portugal" was given to the winners of the old Portuguese Cup which was in fact called Campeonato de Portugal.

I know that your team has won the REAL Portuguese League more times than any other team but why not being clear with it and avoid mixing competitions that have nothing to do with each other?

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Filipe Reis is offline  
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 17:06 Thread Starter
Administrators
Xtratime Legend
 
Inácio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Portugal
Teams: SL Benfica
Posts: 24,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis

no doubt about that ...I wouldn't say the same about a Porto fan though
no comment



Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis

I know that your team has won the REAL Portuguese League more times than any other team but why not being clear with it and avoid mixing competitions that have nothing to do with each other?


im ok with it, but maybe that is something that should be decided officially, coz as u know its not even a "fans" thing, it how its refered to by the press, so yeah, its a mess

i recall this time someone asked me about how many league titles we had, and i went to check all those competitions and didnt know which "version" to give it to them tbh, so chose to use the one everyone pretty much uses ...

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
Inácio is offline  
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 19:20
Rising Star
 
MCdread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2003
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Teams: Portugal, FC Porto
Posts: 438
I think Record is the only paper that doesn't count those 4 Campeonatos da I Liga. It's no wonder since traditionally Record used to be associated with Sporting, and Sporting won none of those.
Other sources count them because it was a league format, although there was no second division and relegations and clubs qualified regionally to play there.
Since it was a league type of tournament, I agree with most sources in listing them together with the I Divisão titles.
It's not good for Porto though because it puts us further away from Benfica (we have to look up not down ), but anyways, it's not really an important issue in my view... what counts is that Porto and Benfica have two titles of european champions each.
MCdread is offline  
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 22:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Filipe Reis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Sweden
Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Posts: 36,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCdread
I think Record is the only paper that doesn't count those 4 Campeonatos da I Liga. It's no wonder since traditionally Record used to be associated with Sporting, and Sporting won none of those.
Other sources count them because it was a league format, although there was no second division and relegations and clubs qualified regionally to play there.
Since it was a league type of tournament, I agree with most sources in listing them together with the I Divisão titles.
It's not good for Porto though because it puts us further away from Benfica (we have to look up not down ), but anyways, it's not really an important issue in my view... what counts is that Porto and Benfica have two titles of european champions each.
This is not a matter of "sources" but a matter of facts.

These competitions were different and as I wrote before, the old Liga was an unofficial competition therefore it cannot be mixed with the official Portuguese championship.

Bringing your European titles into this discussion is as relevant as mentioning the "sources" where one can read about facts.

If this matter is not important in your view I suggest that next time you choose to be silent about it.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Filipe Reis is offline  
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 00:16
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Filipe Reis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Sweden
Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Posts: 36,665
OK, here is my proposal for a description of our forum...

The centenary Lions of Lisbon have a past to be proud of...18 Portuguese leagues, 13 Portuguese cups, 5 Portuguese super cups, 4 Portuguese championships, 1 UEFA Cup Winners Cup. Craddle of some of the greatest players of modern European football, Sporting is an ecletic club always turned towards the future...Welcome to the green and white forum!



I suggest that we wait two more days for other proposals and from Monday evening on (12pm CET) we open the voting during 24 hours...do you all agree?

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Filipe Reis is offline  
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 00:44
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 07 2005
Location: Portugal
Teams: SL Benfica
Posts: 866
Here's my proposal:

"Welcome to the home of Sporting Clube de Portugal. This space is up for sale."



On a more serious note, if you care to know where that elitist crap comes from, that a look at your sig.
Gein is offline  
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 00:58
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Filipe Reis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Sweden
Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Posts: 36,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gein
Here's my proposal:

"Welcome to the home of Sporting Clube de Portugal. This space is up for sale."



On a more serious note, if you care to know where that elitist crap comes from, that a look at your sig.

Your proposal is not taken upon as hopefully I don't think you meant it.


Taken into account that the text from where that line was taken from was written in 1906 I find it very advanced that the club presented itself as being open to all and even made reference to persons from both genders. The "boa sociedade" bit is a typical thing from the society of that age and it is very far from being a sign of elitism.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Filipe Reis is offline  
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 01:19
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 07 2005
Location: Portugal
Teams: SL Benfica
Posts: 866
Of course it's not to be taken. It was just a joke.

I wouldn't dismiss that line, from your fundamental text, because you can't find it that easily in other clubs. Sporting, at the time, was proud of it. But there are other factors, namely the fact that you only had open elections after 25 de Abril and that, for a long time, people with criminal records were not allowed for membership.

Obvioulsy that has changed, since all big 3 gather fans from every where, but the image remained. You have the elitist one, we have the popular one, with the sandes de courato e mini.
Gein is offline  
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 01:27
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Filipe Reis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Sweden
Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Posts: 36,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gein
I wouldn't dismiss that line, from your fundamental text, because you can't find it that easily in other clubs. Sporting, at the time, was proud of it. But there are other factors, namely the fact that you only had open elections after 25 de Abril and that, for a long time, people with criminal records were not allowed for membership.
You are not trying to tell me that Benfica and FC Porto had free and fair elections before we actually had democracy in our country are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gein
Obvioulsy that has changed, since all big 3 gather fans from every where, but the image remained. You have the elitist one, we have the popular one, with the sandes de courato e mini.
and I think that image is absolutely fake and like all images is imposed and nurtured by a few people that actually benefit from it.

Sporting is as popular and pimba as Benfica...although none of us reaches the record breaking levels of bimbalhada of the boys in blue

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Filipe Reis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome