2012/13 FC Porto European Competitions (Champions League) - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2012, 15:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

2012/13 FC Porto European Competitions (Champions League)

We were in pot 1 of the draw and ended up in Group A.

Here's the group:

Porto
Dynamo Kyiv
(UKR)
Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)

I think it's a good draw for us and gives us a solid chance of moving onto the knockout stage.

Our first game is on September 18th against Zagreb.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2012, 15:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Here is the squad that was registered for the 2012/13 Champions League yesterday:

GOALKEEPERS:

1 Helton
24 Fabiano
41 Kadu *
61 Eloi André Milheiro Silva*
71 João Costa*

DEFENDERS:

2 Danilo
4 Maicon
5 Hector Andres Quiñones Cortes
13 Miguel Lopes
14 Rolando
22 Eliaquim Mangala
23 Abdoulaye Ba
26 Alex Sandro
30 Nicolás Otamendi
42 David Carneiro*
45 Tiago Ferreira*
55 Lima Pereira*
73 Luís Rafael*

MIDFIELDERS:

3 Lucho González
6 André De Castro Pereira
8 João Moutinho
25 Fernando
35 Steven Defour
48 Eduardo Marques De Castro Silva*
56 Tomás*
60 Sérgio Oliveira*
70 Tó-Zé*

FORWARDS:

7 Juan Manuel Iturbe
9 Jackson Martinez
10 James Rodríguez
11 Kléber
17 Silvestre Varela
27 Christian Atsu
28 Kelvin Mateus de Oliveira
47 Fabio Martins*
79 Gonçalo Paciência*

Note - * denotes the player is registered on the B list

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2012, 01:16
Premier Player

Teams: Galatasaray
whats your impression of colombian "Jackson Arley Martínez Valencia". is he your typical target forward static in the box or more of a hustling lisandro, who be at the right spot inside of the box. how is his style? just curious if he is a falcao sort of player or more hulk boozing his way through defences with his physiques(spelling?) and goes for crazy finishes. thanks for any info. cant get away from that you probably had the best goalscorers in europe for 15 year going back to the years i first noticed super "mario" berimg served by dwarf partner drulovic on the wing.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2012, 03:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
whats your impression of colombian "Jackson Arley Martínez Valencia". is he your typical target forward static in the box or more of a hustling lisandro, who be at the right spot inside of the box. how is his style? just curious if he is a falcao sort of player or more hulk boozing his way through defences with his physiques(spelling?) and goes for crazy finishes. thanks for any info. cant get away from that you probably had the best goalscorers in europe for 15 year going back to the years i first noticed super "mario" berimg served by dwarf partner drulovic on the wing.
First off, welcome! Haven't seen you post in the Porto forum before.

Jackson "Cha Cha Cha" Martinez joined us for 8.8m Euro this summer and is nothing short of a lethal goal scorer. He is a fixed center forward, always in the box, holds the ball up very well. His dribbling is quite good as well, rarely loses the ball in his feet.

In terms of finishing, he is an all around type finisher like Falcao. In 4 games so far this season, Jackson has 3 goals including an 88th minute winner in the Portuguese Super Cup. Scores with his head as he has a good leap to him, shoots well with both feet, a threat on set pieces, etc.

Porto fans are very happy with him so far, especially after struggling with Kleber and Janko(second half) last season, both well, WELL below Falcao's level as substitutions. Jackson isn't as good as Falcao of course, but is much better than the other two and will bang home the goals for us.

Here are his 3 goals for us so far, starting with the Super Cup winner then the penalty against Vitoria Guimaraes(paneka!) and the goal to round the keeper against Olhanense this past weekend:

In terms of Super Mario, boy do I miss him. Now that guy could score with his eyes closed. I bet even now, you could just sit him on a chair in the box and he'd score 15-20 goals a season. What a finisher.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2012, 11:17
Premier Player

Teams: Galatasaray
great review

will be interesting to follow him and see if he can reach the hights your previous strikers reached. does he feature anything at the colombian nt along with falcao? portos connections or scouts are doing a fantastic work on the south american market. sure, you'll find some dead meat at times but your forwards has all been world class. wish my club was as quick with their hands or pocket as you guys been during a long time.

super mario, will there ever be another player like him. his stiff back and funny way of running. that dude could shoot with head and score goals blindfolded. he was born to score goals, such a shame he was forced his way out of turkey by media. anyways, good luck to porto in cl!
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2012, 15:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

We have arrived in Zagreb for tomorrow's opening game of the 2012-13 Champions League.

Fernando is still injured and, despite improving his condition over the past week, will not be risked for this game. That is a big blow to us as Fernando has started the season off in great form, really controlling the midfield and has been a big reason why we've started off so strong defensively. Just like the game against Olhanense, Defour will likely take his spot.

In terms of other players missing, there's only Rolando who is still suspended from UEFA competition for 1 game after his sending off against Man City last year. Not a big loss as Rolando is our fourth/fifth choice CB right now.

19 players called up, meaning one player will be in the stands. Probably one of Iturbe or Kelvin.

Squad called:

GK: Helton, Fabiano

DF: Danilo, Miguel Lopes, Maicon, Nicolas Otamendi, Eliaquim Mangala, Alex Sandro

MF: Lucho Gonzalez, Joao Moutinho, Andre Castro, Steven Defour

FW: Juan Iturbe, Kelvin, Silvestre Varela, Jackson Martinez, Kleber, James Rodriguez, Christian Atsu

Injured: Fernando
Suspended: Rolando
Not Called: Hector Quinonez, Emidio Rafael, Abdoulaye Ba

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2012, 15:19 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2012, 14:41
Rising Star

Teams: Rapid Bucharest
So, what are your thoughts regarding Dinamo-Porto? Are you sure Fernando won't be starting in the 1st eleven? I'll be watching this game tonight.

Despite Sapu, not playing for your team anymore, I became a fan of Porto during the period he spent there and I hope you guys manage to qualify from the group.

How is that new attacker Jackson Martinez? I mention that I've only see Porto in action in the clash against Academica in the Supercup. Who will replace Hulk? Rodriguez? I've seen that Atsu has been a 1st team starter this season, does he have the value necessary for a club on Porto's standard.

Cheers!! Hope Porto beats Dinamo tonight.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2012, 15:07 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laur1989 View Post
So, what are your thoughts regarding Dinamo-Porto? Are you sure Fernando won't be starting in the 1st eleven? I'll be watching this game tonight.
Fernando definitely won't be playing. He wasn't called in the squad and did not travel to Zagreb with the team. Remained in Porto doing recovery work in the gym.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laur1989 View Post
How is that new attacker Jackson Martinez? I mention that I've only see Porto in action in the clash against Academica in the Supercup. Who will replace Hulk? Rodriguez? I've seen that Atsu has been a 1st team starter this season, does he have the value necessary for a club on Porto's standard.

Cheers!! Hope Porto beats Dinamo tonight.
I made a lengthy post in this thread about Jackson, you should check it out. A true goal scorer and finisher.

There is no direct replacement for Hulk because there are perhaps 2 or 3 players in the world with the traits and attributes he brings to the game. James Rodriguez is a fixed starter anyhow, even when Hulk was here.

The substitute will come from this group:

Silvestre Varela - The most experienced of the group. 27 years old, had 2 fantastic seasons with us accompanying Falcao and Hulk in the attack. Had a bad year last year, but a great Euro for Portugal and has started the season off strong again. If he regains his form, the spot is Varela's to lose.

Christian Atsu - The most mature of the three young 'cracks'. Atsu has lightning fast pace, a tricky left foot, and regularly beats his man down the wing. He helps out defensively a lot which is why he is ahead of Iturbe and Kelvin. I'm a big fan of Atsu and think he has a great future. Solid head on his shoulders, constantly works.

Juan Iturbe - Easily the most talented of the bunch. Iturbe, or "the new Messi" as some have called him since he broke through a year ago, has buckets and buckets of talent. Fast, dribbles without any difficult, wicked shot with his left foot. He is just very inconsistent and immature right now. He needs to improve on helping the team win games; defensive work, covering his fullback, etc.

Kelvin - The guy that most fans thought would go out on loan again, but a great preseason meant he stayed with the first team. Can play on either wing or in the attacking midfield role behind the forward(s). Kelvin is another left footed player, but is more of a passer and playmaker than a goal scorer. Loves to cut in from the wing and play those little through balls, slicing through the backline.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2012, 19:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

One surprise in our starting XI as Miguel Lopes comes in at RB in place of Danilo. Not sure why.

Starting XI:

Helton

M.Lopes - Maicon - Otamendi - A.Sandro

Defour - Moutinho
Lucho

Varela - Jackson - James

Bench: Kleber, Iturbe, Atsu, Castro, Danilo, Mangala, Fabiano

Kelvin is the odd man out and sits in the stands.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2012, 19:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I won't be able to watch the game as I'm stuck at work, so I probably won't comment until later tonight when I've finished watching it on DVR.

FORÇA PORTO, ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2012, 23:38
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
Porto played and Beat Dinamo tonight, Lucho Gonzalez wore the captain's armband and scored hours after receiving the news that his dad had passed away.

Much respect for Lucho in the difficult time

Final score was 0-2 with Defour scoring the other goal.

Congrats on the win
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2012, 01:30 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Not a very convincing performance, but this Dinamo team look really, really bad. We should have scored 2 or 3 more, made it difficult for ourselves waiting until injury time to get the second.

I'd like to comment on Lucho Gonzalez. A man who reduced his wages by 65% to come back to Porto, rejected the offers of other clubs to come back. A man who, in times of need, shows the professionalism and leadership required for a Porto captain. An example for the younger kids, a shoulder to learn on for the veterans. Lucho learned about the passing of his father when the team arrived in Zagreb, and despite being given the opportunity to take a flight back to Argentina and miss the game, he insisted that he captain the team on the field and guide us to victory. On top of all that, Lucho scores the winner and puts in a great performance.

Words can't describe the feeling I get about this individual. He makes me so proud to be a Porto fan, makes me so proud to have a captain and role model like that.

Lucho, know that the club support you now in your time of need and will offer you all the care and loving that you deserve after your 6 years of great service to Nosso Grande Clube.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2012, 17:30
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Respect for Lucho, a great player indeed.

This situation reminded me of something similar that happened at Sporting in the 80s. Our captain back then was António Oliveira and, by coincidence also just before a European match against Dinamo Zagreb, he got the sad news of his father's death and insisted in playing. We won 3-0 with a hat-trick by Oliveira himself.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 19:10 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Kicking off at home against big spending PSG in just over 30 minutes or so.

Fernando comes back into the starting lineup after being out since late August, while Danilo comes in at RB for Miguel Lopes. Attacking move by VP. Varela also gets the nod over Atsu in the attack, VP going with the more experienced option.

Starting XI:

Helton

Danilo - Maicon - Otamendi - A.Sandro

Fernando
Lucho - Moutinho

Varela - Jackson - James

Bench: Kleber, Atsu, Defour, Castro, M.Lopes, Mangala, Fabiano

FORÇA PORTO!!!

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 20:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
What an incredible gift by Howard Webb to Porto right before the half time whistle breaking a one on one goal situation by Zlatan to give a foul to PSG. 0-0 at HT

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 20:38
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
Webb royally fvcked PSG right there, wow. And the whole thing was Fernando's fault anyways lol.

Fernando is just brutal. Potential red card any minute he's on the pitch, Pepe-esque.
Looked like he had a contract out on Menez in this half, he just fvcked him up any chance he had with or without the ball

All in all PSG started better, but you guys took control pretty easily - still need to watch for the counters though.

James looking great, Varela too.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 21:26
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
Golaso James. Pure class.

Atsu really sparked the entire game.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 21:40 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanko 05 View Post
Fernando is just brutal. Potential red card any minute he's on the pitch, Pepe-esque.
You're joking, right?

Fernando had an IMMENSE game. Interception after interception after interception, recovering balls all over the field and even making solid passes up field.

He even assisted the goal for James.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 21:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

A well deserved 1-0 win tonight over the team of millions.

Shots on target:

FUTEBOL CLUBE DO PORTO - 13
PSG - 2

Domination pretty much all game long. James with the world class finish on his goal.

Exceptional games from:

Otamendi - In great form right now, has been the best defender for the past 3 games
Fernando - Probably my Man of the Match and that's on his return after missing 5 weeks
Varela - Raped VdW all game long on the left
Atsu - Sparked the game immensely with his pace, could have had a goal or two
Moutinho - Quiet first half, but bossed the midfield in the second half

All in all... 6 out of a possible 6 points to start, in 1st place of the group. Much better than last year's start.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in