Official FC Porto 2007/08 European Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 259 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2007, 17:53 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Official FC Porto 2007/08 European Thread

Draw was today.

We've been drawn with Liverpool, Marseille, and Besiktas.

I think we'll definitely progress.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 259 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2007, 21:32
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
You will definitely progress to the UEFA Cup...no doubt about that p

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 259 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2007, 22:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Well Filipe, there's no doubt both Porto and Benfica have much better chances than Sporting of advancing to the knockout phase.

I'm very confident we'll beat Marseille at the Dragao, and maybe get a positive result at the Velodrome. I think we will beat Besiktas as well.

None the less, in Europe, I always want the Portuguese teams to do well. I joke around and say "please thrash Sporting 7-0" to Roma and United fans , but I'd love nothing more than to see Sporting beat both teams. If/once you guys(Benfiquistas included) get eliminated, I will definitely poke fun, but deep down I want you guys to do well.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #4 of 259 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2007, 22:15
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua
Well Filipe, there's no doubt both Porto and Benfica have much better chances than Sporting of advancing to the knockout phase.

I'm very confident we'll beat Marseille at the Dragao, and maybe get a positive result at the Velodrome. I think we will beat Besiktas as well.

None the less, in Europe, I always want the Portuguese teams to do well. I joke around and say "please thrash Sporting 7-0" to Roma and United fans , but I'd love nothing more than to see Sporting beat both teams. If/once you guys(Benfiquistas included) get eliminated, I will definitely poke fun, but deep down I want you guys to do well.
I don't know why but I have trouble believing in the honesty of those words. Anyway, be it. Let's hope we all meet in the semis.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 259 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2007, 22:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
I have no doubts that Porto had a nice draw, but the luckiest team of the 2nd pot was undoubtedly Sevilla.
post #6 of 259 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2007, 22:25
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
Porto will qualify i'm sure. I think the draw was very decent for you.
post #7 of 259 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 00:30
Master Debater
Xtratime Legend

You guys are acting as if CSKA and Fenerbahce are pushovers. Both ties will be extremely tricky for you guys. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Buraya buraya Deli Ibo Burayaaaaaaaaa
post #8 of 259 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 00:41
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
They are certainly not pushovers but if Quaresma keeps his current form, Porto is clearly the better team after Liverpool.
post #9 of 259 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 00:51
Master Debater
Xtratime Legend

Honestly on paper I can't say Porto are that much better than Fener or CSKA. Porto's name is bigger yes but CSKA and Fener have an extremely talented crop of players at this point. Knowing Fener as well as I do considering I watch them week in and week out they can be a handfull for any team if they're on form.

post #10 of 259 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 01:49
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeniceri
Honestly on paper I can't say Porto are that much better than Fener or CSKA. Porto's name is bigger yes but CSKA and Fener have an extremely talented crop of players at this point. Knowing Fener as well as I do considering I watch them week in and week out they can be a handfull for any team if they're on form.
Exactly, I love how people who've probably never seen the current Fenerbahce team play can call them pushovers (not saying anyone in this thread is calling them that).
post #11 of 259 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 03:28 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

What in the hell are you guys talking about?

CSKA and Fener?

We play Marseille and Besiktas unless I'm completely confused here on some joke. As for CSKA, we played them last year and were the first team to score in Russia in the CL, neither Arsenal or Hamburg could do that, and obviously the first team to beat them at home.

Porto have a very strong team.

There's a Brazilian national team keeper in goal, three internationals across the back in Bosingwa, Bruno Alves, and Fucile. Pedro Emanuel shouldn't be starting but Milan Stepanov for instance is a Serbian international and was highly rated by Trabzonsorporor and Serbian fans. He'll be starting soon.

The midfield of Lucho, Meireles, and Assuncao have as good of chemistry and mix of skills as many of the "massive" clubs. Lucho and Raul Meireles are big, physical, very good long distance passers and shooters. Paulo Assuncao is a complete DM, with an excellent passing range. He led the Greek league in assists as a CM before. His defensive knowledge and tackling ability is top notch.

Up front is where we lack potent threats beyond Ricardo Quaresma and Lisandro Lopez. Neither of Adriano or Helder Postiga are consistent or class enough for CL success. Hopefully Ernesto Farias is this player. He'll make his league debut next weekend.

I have no doubt about beating Marseille and Besiktas. We will get 10 or 12 points from those four games. Liverpool will be hard. We might get a draw at the Dragao, no chance at Anfield.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #12 of 259 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 06:45
International

Teams: BESIKTAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeniceri
Dude, Porto plays against us..No need to defend Fenerbahce on this one-in fact they should be here telling Porto fans how good Beşiktaş is

'The Besiktas jersey gives me incredible strength, peace, and trust.'
Gökhan Güleç
post #13 of 259 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 06:47
International

Teams: BESIKTAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua
I have no doubt about beating Marseille and Besiktas. We will get 10 or 12 points from those four games. Liverpool will be hard. We might get a draw at the Dragao, no chance at Anfield.
That's good-hope your team is as confident as well-will work in our favour.
You need to do some research about the current Besiktaş however, before you jump to conclusions..

We should be able to compete with you for the second place spot, IMHO

'The Besiktas jersey gives me incredible strength, peace, and trust.'
Gökhan Güleç
post #14 of 259 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 08:06
pun
International

don't worry what they say FIG, we know what this Porto team is made out of.

With all due respect to the other English teams, we got the worst (in terms of Porto) because Rafa is almost unbeatable in the Champions League and he knows how to contain match winners, Quaresma is our match winner and I can see Arbeola, Mascherano and Riise all playing on him (if Quaresma plays on the right) and Finnan, Mascherano and who ever plays on the right to have specific instructions to stop Quaresma first, and then attack.

That doesn't neccesarily mean it will work (although the above players are all very good), but it will make our chances harder. I think our centralm field's solidness will challenge Liverpools central midfield (who on paper is out of this world). Assuncao, Meireless, Lucho and perhaps Bolatti are all very solid and will have to be since we've lost Pepe in defence. I hope Leandro Lima becomes the X factor and PRAY that Ernesto Farias steps up because Postiga and Adriano will be eaten alive by Agger and Carragher.

Beskitas will be a tough place to play no doubt. Marseille I really don't know much about, but they lost Ribery and I don't know who they signed to replace him, other than that I know Nasri...anyone else?
post #15 of 259 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2007, 20:43
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
Quote:
Originally Posted by pun
Marseille I really don't know much about, but they lost Ribery and I don't know who they signed to replace him, other than that I know Nasri...anyone else?

Ribery = chicken with no head, runs, runs runs...
still running...
post #16 of 259 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2007, 01:50
Master Debater
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-lite
Dude, Porto plays against us..No need to defend Fenerbahce on this one-in fact they should be here telling Porto fans how good Beşiktaş is

Like an idiot I got the groups confused. Napalim lol

post #17 of 259 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2007, 06:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Here is a list of the 29 players Porto have registered for the Champions League:

GK Helton
GK Nuno Santo
GK Hugo Ventura

DF Bruno Alves
DF Jose Bosingwa
DF Marek Cech
DF Pedro Emanuel
DF Jorge Fucile
DF Joao Paulo
DF Andre Pinto(B team)
DF Milan Stepanov

MF Paulo Assuncao
MF Marco Aurelio(B team)
MF Mario Bolatti
MF Andre Castro(B team)
MF Lucho Gonzalez
MF Przemyslaw Kazmierczak
MF Leandro Lima
MF Lino
MF Raul Meireles

FW Adriano
FW Edgar
FW Ernesto Farias
FW Mariano Gonzalez
FW Lisandro Lopez
FW Ricardo Quaresma
FW Rui Pedro(B team)
FW Helder Postiga
FW Tarik Sektioui

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #18 of 259 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2007, 14:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Our first game of the 2007/08 Champions League is tomorrow and it's at home against Liverpool. We start off with a huge test, but at the same time, we come into this game having won every game of the league thus far.

In today's training session, the last one before the game, we had the three players who were injured sit out. Those being Helton, Pedro Emanuel, and Helder Postiga. Helton is a massive loss but if Nuno can keep up his good form, it shouldn't be too much of a concern. Bosingwa missed training as well as he's recovering from a slight knock suffered in the win against Maritimo on Saturday, but he is expected to play and Jesualdo counts on him.

List of players called for the game:

GK: Nuno, Hugo Ventura

DF: Bosingwa, Bruno Alves, Joao Paulo, Marek Cech, Jorge Fucile, Milan Stepanov

MF: Paulo Assuncao, Raul Meireles, Lucho Gonzalez, Mario Bolatti, Przemyslaw Kazmierczak, Leandro Lima

FW: Tarik Sektioui, Ricardo Quaresma, Mariano Gonzalez, Lisandro Lopez, Ernesto Farias

Expected XI:

Nuno
Bosingwa - Joao Paulo - Bruno Alves - Fucile
Assuncao
Lucho - Meireles
Tarik - Lisandro - Quaresma

Bench: Hugo Ventura, Stepanov, Cech, Bolatti, Leo Lima, Mariano, Farias

Now for some quotes from our team for the big game:

Jesualdo Ferreira:

"With Liverpool, it will be a completely different game(than against Maritimo). They're coming to the Dragao with alot of respect and we know they're a team that usually doesn't allow many goals. They are not a traditional, direct English team. They're very methodical, and for that reason, we will have to be also. We have the weapons to face Liverpool."

"We have the ability to overcome Liverpool. I can't say much more than that. Honestly, we can beat any team in the world. We won't alter our tactics for tomorrow. We will use the same style and same methods we have for over a year now. We will not alter things just because of who we play tomorrow."

"FC Porto, for example, have been a major force in European competitions over the last 5 years. This is a competition with the best clubs in the world. There are many favourites and at this point of the campaign, it doesn't make sense for me to identify them yet."

"Liverpool base their success from good defensive cohesion, with a strong and structed midfield, and two forms of attack against their opponents. They have an attack that functions alot better now and displays good football."

Leandro Lima:

"What do I know about Liverpool? I know almost all the players through videogames... Gerrard, Fernando Torres. I also talked to Lucas who is also there now. I already beat Liverpool in my videogame, and now I want to beat them for real."

Joao Paulo"

"Liverpool is an excellent team, but we are also. We know we'll have some difficulties and we are planning to overcome those. We also know Liverpool are not a team about one player, but an entire, deep squad. Yes they're a good team and have shown that, but we are too and have the neccessary players to be the better team on Tuesday."

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Last edited by Josué; September 17th, 2007 at 14:32.
post #19 of 259 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2007, 03:24
Xtratime Legend

Great stuff, Josh.
post #20 of 259 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2007, 03:52
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
I predict a thrashing...6-0 to Liverpool courtesy of Alves hitting 2 own goals in the process..

O GLORIOSO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in