Porto player news thread (Injuries, Contracts, NT Duty, Interviews, etc.) - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 216 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2006, 06:28 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Porto player news thread (Injuries, Contracts, NT Duty, Interviews, etc.)

I figured there might as well be a thread for this as the Porto thread is not really the place for it.

Of course, last week Lucho Gonzalez and Jesualdo Ferreira both got contract extensions.

This past week, Raul Meireles got his first cap for Portugal in a very efficient performance against Kazhakstan.

In today's game against Academica, both Bosingwa and Lisandro Lopez suffered injuries. Bosingwa hurt his right leg, and Lisandro hurt his right foot. Both will be re-examined and more information will be available tomorrow.

I am not confident with Fucile at RB instead of Bosingwa, although neither really do it for me. Up front, I sure hope Jesualdo goes with Bruno Moraes to partner Postiga if Lisandro can't go, although that will be a blow as he created today's first goal and we need him against CSKA.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 216 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2006, 03:28
Star Player

Teams: Rangers FC
Is Lucho doing well for Porto, FigoIsGod?

Formerly Bocha and Corazón of Scottish and Argentinian forum notoriety
post #3 of 216 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2006, 19:51
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Bad news for one of the best young prospects of Porto:
Hélder Barbosa, who was on loan to Académica got seriously injured yesterday on a friendly. His injury his similar to the one Jorge Andrade had which means he will be out of action at least until the end of the season.
Bad news for a good young player and also for the U-21 Portuguese NT that will play next year at the final stage of Euro U-21 in Holland.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 216 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2006, 20:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

This is terrible.

Helder Barbosa, along with Paulo Machado, are my two favourite Porto prospects out on loan at the moment. He had such a great week with the friendly against Serbia and the performance against Porto for Academica, then this.

I hope he recovers back to 100%.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #5 of 216 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2006, 09:12 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Pepe, who's been in incredible form recently, has signed a contract extension.

His previous deal was to expire in the summer of 2008, and he has been given an additional three years with slighty increased wages to 2011.

Great news.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #6 of 216 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2006, 07:34 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Pepe had already mentioned a few times that he wanted to earn his Portuguese citizenship and play for Portugal.

He recently had a visit with Scolari and explained everything to him.

This is what Scolari had to say:

“I was happy to receive a visit from the player Pepe. During the conversation we had, he explained to me why he intends to obtain Portuguese citizenship, citing that he is completely integrated into Portuguese society, as he has lived in Portugal for several years.”

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #7 of 216 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2006, 12:52
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
Pepe had already mentioned a few times that he wanted to earn his Portuguese citizenship and play for Portugal.

He recently had a visit with Scolari and explained everything to him.

This is what Scolari had to say:

“I was happy to receive a visit from the player Pepe. During the conversation we had, he explained to me why he intends to obtain Portuguese citizenship, citing that he is completely integrated into Portuguese society, as he has lived in Portugal for several years.”

I have nothing against players that were not born in Portugal but that have lived there long enough to have the Portuguese citizenship to play for our NT.

However I think that such things should happen as an exception and not as a rule. IMO the criteria for that to happen should be very simple: they are very good players and there are no suitable alternatives for their place.

Deco is a perfect example of that.

In the case of Pepe I think he does not fulfill any of both. He is not a very good player but simply a good player. We have plenty of CBs better than him at the moment: Ricardo Carvalho, Jorge Andrade, Tonel, Fernando Meira, Miguel Veloso, Zé Castro...

Of course if he is Scolari's buddy we might see him wearing our NT jersey but I will find that unfair.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 216 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2006, 17:10 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I think you underrate him considerably.

There's absolutely no chance Miguel Veloso is better than him and I'd argue two or three more of those players. Pepe's been immense for us, anybody who's watched the team play can see this and it's unfortunate you don't feel that way as well.

I agree, however, that it's not a position of need or anything so we shouldn't go through with it. For what it's worth, I don't want Liedson either. Deco was an exception, I agree.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #9 of 216 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2006, 17:37
Legend

Teams: Liverpool
How longs Andershow out for? and what happened with Andersons' proposed move to Barca, did anything materilaise there or was it just bullshit?

lucas21
post #10 of 216 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2006, 17:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM Online
How longs Andershow out for? and what happened with Andersons' proposed move to Barca, did anything materilaise there or was it just bullshit?
Usual bullshit. p

He underwent successful surgery to repair a cracked bone in his leg at the end of October, and the reco-operation period is/was two months from the time of the surgery. So, expect him back sometime during the January transfer window.

Luckily, Lisandro has been great alongside Postiga and Quaresma so we haven't missed too much. I mean, anytime you miss Anderson, you're missing something special, but what I'm trying to reiterate is that with Lisandro's form, the blow has been a bit easier to handle.

Anderson

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #11 of 216 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2006, 17:47
Legend

I'm glad he didn't go to Barca, I mean when would he get to play, he plays the same side as the best player in the world, no? And they've also got Messi and Dos Santos at a similar age...

A team like At. Madrid would be a better move in a few years time, would you agree? Or maybe even your other club Real, Anderson on the left, Robinho on the right

lucas21
post #12 of 216 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2006, 17:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I'll never reccommend or suggest for a Porto player to go to Real or vice-versa. p

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #13 of 216 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2006, 17:58
Legend

Well he can come to Liverpool then p he seems to be physical enough for the Premiership although his talent would be stiffled by the boring crap we play Same reason I wouldn't like to see him at Chelsea.

lucas21
post #14 of 216 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2006, 13:29
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Argentina,Jordan Basketball NT,Jordan youth teams
Are Lucho and Lisandro the first Argentines to join Porto ever?

Vamos Argentina!
post #15 of 216 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2006, 18:27
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh
I don't think so but if you want to know of great Argentineans playing in Portugal you'll have to look at Sporting's history

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 216 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2006, 19:54
Rising Star

Teams: Portugal, FC Porto
Quote:
In recent times there was also at least strikers Esnaider and argentinian born Pizzi, but both were huge flops.

As for Pepe: if his application for portuguese citizenship is granted, he becomes a normal portuguese national, and the only job he's legally barred from pursuing in Portugal is that of President of the Republic (for which one has to be born in the country). Therefore he should be considered as a normal player in the pool: if the NT coach thinks he's good enough, call him, otherwise, skip him.
The only objection I have is to the means of acquiring citizenship: I strongly disagree with any kind of special treatment or skipping necessary residence time; if the conditions in terms of legal years of residence (6 years minimum), criminal and fiscal record, etc. are the same any other foreign resident has to follow, as was the case with Deco and seems to be the case here, no problem whatsoever.
post #17 of 216 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2006, 23:48
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Argentina,Jordan Basketball NT,Jordan youth teams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
I don't think so but if you want to know of great Argentineans playing in Portugal you'll have to look at Sporting's history

Acosta?

Vamos Argentina!
post #18 of 216 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2006, 00:07
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Acosta?
Yes, him, but much better than him was Diego, a great striker who played in Sporting in the 60s and above all, the best of all foreigners that passed through our club...Héctor "Chirola" Yazalde

Nelson Mandela
post #19 of 216 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2006, 10:48
Rising Star

Teams: Portugal, FC Porto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
Yes, him, but much better than him was Diego, a great striker who played in Sporting in the 60s and above all, the best of all foreigners that passed through our club...Héctor "Chirola" Yazalde
Don't forget Kmet and Quiroga.
post #20 of 216 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2006, 10:53
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCdread
Don't forget Kmet and Quiroga.
come on, Quiroga was not that bad p but on the other hand now that you mention other names I should not forget Gabriel Heinze, who now stars at Man Utd and the great Aldo Duscher that would do wonders still in our current midfield.

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in