Uefa Euro 2016 campaign - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 281 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2014, 17:39 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Uefa Euro 2016 campaign

Ok so today started to turn on the engines regarding the Uefa Euro 2016 qualifiers. Israel has been placed in pot 3 as expected.

Teams will be divided into 9 groups where the first two teams from each group will qualify as well as the best third placed team. The remaining eight third placed teams will face eachother in the playoffs for the other 4 spots.

The pots

Pot 1

Spain
Germany
Netherlands
Italy
England
Portugal
Greece
Russia
Bosnia Herzegovina

Pot 2

Ukraine
Sweden
Croatia
Denmark
Switzerland
Belgium
Czech Republic
Hungary
Ireland

Pot 3

Serbia
Turkey
Slovenia
Israel
Norway
Slovakia
Romania
Austria
Poland

Pot 4

Montenegro
Armenia
Scotland
Finland
Latvia
Wales
Bulgaria
Estonia
Belarus

Pot 5

Iceland
Northern Ireland
Albania
Lithuania
Moldova
Macedonia
Azerbaijan
Georgia
Cyprus

Pot 6

Luxembourg
Kazakhstan
Liechtenstein
Faroe Islands
Malta
Andorra
San Marino
Gibraltar

An historical chance for Israel to qualify here. We usually finish in third place and if we keep the rythm we could get qualified. Guess we are more than oblied to reach at least the playoffs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 281 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2014, 22:33
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!! WERE FINALLY GONNA TASTE EURO RUN!!!!!

Is it me or is Gibraltar new?

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!
post #3 of 281 (permalink) Old February 7th, 2014, 14:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21 View Post
THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!! WERE FINALLY GONNA TASTE EURO RUN!!!!!

Is it me or is Gibraltar new?
First qualifying for Gibraltar. Curious to see if they will follow the path of minnows such as San Marino and Andorra or they will surge as a good force like Montenegro.

Their participation is really causing some diplomatic issues, especially for the Spanish who are against it.

Anyway, draw to be held on February 23rd.

post #4 of 281 (permalink) Old February 7th, 2014, 14:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

From our point of view better chance to qualify but to be honest the tournament won't be so attractive with 24 teams IMO.
post #5 of 281 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2014, 18:27
Legend

It really expanded. Since 1996 or 1992 the Euro Cup has been a home away from home for World Cup....... Who needs it? We dont wanna play Japan, Brazil and this monkey nations....

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #6 of 281 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2014, 13:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
It really expanded. Since 1996 or 1992 the Euro Cup has been a home away from home for World Cup....... Who needs it? We dont wanna play Japan, Brazil and this monkey nations....

In 1992 there were 8 teams and from 1996 onwards it was increased to 16 teams.

Let's not forget that there were less teams for the qualifiers as well. Soviet Union and Yugoslavia still lived as nations when the qualifiers began for that edition. Actually Yugoslavia were meant to be there and Denmark were invited, eventually surprisingly winning the tournament.
post #7 of 281 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2014, 01:52
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post

In 1992 there were 8 teams and from 1996 onwards it was increased to 16 teams.

Let's not forget that there were less teams for the qualifiers as well. Soviet Union and Yugoslavia still lived as nations when the qualifiers began for that edition. Actually Yugoslavia were meant to be there and Denmark were invited, eventually surprisingly winning the tournament.
When Neilsen led them to glory

But aside from that, I love that there is a major soccer tournament always on going and we dont have to wait every 4 years. Kinda like the olympics where you have winter and summer becoming every 2 years on the even years, making odd years boring........
soo much for being born in one :fero:

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #8 of 281 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2014, 00:02
Rookie

Israel's Euro 2016 qualifying Group B:
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Belgium
Wales
Cyprus
Andorra
post #9 of 281 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2014, 00:12
Rising Star

Teams: M.Haifa, Israeli NT
this is our group:
Group B
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belgium, Israel, Wales, Cyprus, Andorra

I think this is a tough group for us. We drew the one of the worst pot A team and probably the best pot B team. Wales is essentially an English championship team with Bale and Ramsey and Cyprus always plays us tough.

Wales' coach doesn't seemed to concerned with us (about 1:10 into this video http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/finals/...?autoplay=true

Just hope we can squeeze out enough points to qualify for the 3rd place playoffs according to this site we have a 52% shot at 3rd and a 14% at a top 2 shot. http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/17...groups?cc=5901
post #10 of 281 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2014, 00:14
Rookie

Very good group to qualify for..we manage to dodge some traditionally hard National Teams. Obviously B&H and Belgium are much better teams than Israel and are clear favorites, but it doesn't mean the national team should get overwhelmed. Both teams have made it to WC 2014 as top teams in their groups and are up and coming with young players in top leagues. Wales and Cyprus are teams that can make life tough and must keep our focus in those games. I remember 2006 WC qualifying where Cyprus played us really hard.

No excuses for Israel to at least get to the playoffs. Top two directly qualify and the third placed team gets to the playoffs. That being said the media should not put unnecessary pressure on Israel and let the players play.
post #11 of 281 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2014, 03:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Tricky group. Israel could have difficulties in the way as only Andorra as the weak side. As mentioned by Gaviio, Cyprus traditionally makes us life hard especially when we play in the island.

Belgium is a very good side, I see them cruising the group to be honest. They have a very talented generation. Bosnia is better than Israel currently but in a good day we could beat them.

Wales is not a team that imposes some fear but they are form the British school and they won´t be easy.
post #12 of 281 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2014, 05:25
Rookie

Belgium was really impressive in their World Cup qualifiers. They won their group pretty easily and played very attacking football doing so. They’re a model that Israel needs to follow because they’ve developed their NT from the bottom up through youth and infrastructure. In my opinion they top the group.

Bosnia is a close second and might top the group themselves. They had sort of an easier group to qualify from for WC 2014 but scored many goals. From what I’ve seen in their game against Greece, they’re very patient with the ball and are tactically sound.

It is hard for me to see Israel beating Belgium either home or away. Also B&H is great at home but maybe we can sneak a result against them in Israel.
We should theoretically beat Cyprus, Wales and Andorra to get the third spot but we are Israel and we tend to make things interesting for ourselves. Cyprus and Wales are very hard teams and want to make the playoffs just as badly as we do. I really hope Guttman learns from the past campaign and gives Israel a better showing this time around.
post #13 of 281 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2014, 12:42 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviio View Post
Belgium was really impressive in their World Cup qualifiers. They won their group pretty easily and played very attacking football doing so. They’re a model that Israel needs to follow because they’ve developed their NT from the bottom up through youth and infrastructure. In my opinion they top the group.

Bosnia is a close second and might top the group themselves. They had sort of an easier group to qualify from for WC 2014 but scored many goals. From what I’ve seen in their game against Greece, they’re very patient with the ball and are tactically sound.

It is hard for me to see Israel beating Belgium either home or away. Also B&H is great at home but maybe we can sneak a result against them in Israel.
We should theoretically beat Cyprus, Wales and Andorra to get the third spot but we are Israel and we tend to make things interesting for ourselves. Cyprus and Wales are very hard teams and want to make the playoffs just as badly as we do. I really hope Guttman learns from the past campaign and gives Israel a better showing this time around.
Agree with you on Belgium. Actually I really bet on them as being one of the surprises on this World Cup. If they manage to face a top NT they will surely make things hard.
We should start from the youth (even though we usually have impressive results in this age). And build a NT with the right mentality but with the right selection. We have individually talented and technical players, despite Israel playing a physical game it does not have generally speaking strong players around, we have more speedy and technical players and we should explore this style of game. We can't play like Italy for example because it is not the nature of the players and we will expose ourselves.

Bosnia being from the former Yugoslavia school is always tough. Even though we could beat them at home IMO. We are usually a very home side (if we played outside Ramat Gan into other stadiums it would be better).

Another curious note is that we got in our group the two countries in which we have more players abroad: Belgium and Cyprus.
post #14 of 281 (permalink) Old February 25th, 2014, 17:35
Premier Player

Difficult group, Belgium, Wales and BiH will all be tough teams to play against.

Guttman called up the squad against Slovakia.

Keepers: Harush, Marciano, and Haimov

Defenders: Meshumar, Ben-Harush, Rikan, Yeini, Tibi, Dgani, Gershon

Midfielders: Biton, Natcho, Melikson, Zahavi, Radi, Buzaglo, Ezra, Refaelov,

Forwards: Barda, Damari, Ben-Basat, Ben-Haim, Abed, Sahar

I'm very shocked he called up Sahar and Abed instead of Turgeman and Dabbour. We need better defenders...
post #15 of 281 (permalink) Old February 25th, 2014, 18:05 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golasa12 View Post
Difficult group, Belgium, Wales and BiH will all be tough teams to play against.

Guttman called up the squad against Slovakia.

Keepers: Harush, Marciano, and Haimov

Defenders: Meshumar, Ben-Harush, Rikan, Yeini, Tibi, Dgani, Gershon

Midfielders: Biton, Natcho, Melikson, Zahavi, Radi, Buzaglo, Ezra, Refaelov,

Forwards: Barda, Damari, Ben-Basat, Ben-Haim, Abed, Sahar

I'm very shocked he called up Sahar and Abed instead of Turgeman and Dabbour. We need better defenders...
The call up is not so bad but to be honest Gutman couldn´t afford leaving out Tal Ben Haim, the defender, precisely because we don´t have a big pool in that position. Even not playing regularly he is better than most of the defenders. Only Eitan Tibi is certainty. I think Gershon is decent but he has been field more as a leftback than a central defender. Dan Mori could be in this selection. He is not a regular at Vitesse but he plays matches and has experience in a league which is much better than Israel.

In midfield, the base should be around Bibras Natkho and Eran Zahavi. Good to see Buzaglo back he is the type of player that is important to have in the squad since is the one who could make the difference in one play with dribbling and some slaloms.

The other midfielders look decent. What I don´t see in the squad is the defensive midfielder watchdog style. The only one in the squad is Yeini but he has been playing since last season as a rightback.

In attack, Ben Sahar?? That is surprising to me. No one questions his talent but call up a player that has roamed around more than played matches is not so wise. Abed is playing well for Kiryat Shmona but is he really in international level? It preferable to call up a more veteran Barak Itzhaki. Where is Tomer Hemed? Despite returning recently from injury he is certainly part of the team! Even the forgotten Shlomi Arbeitman would be better to call. Agree with Golasa that Dabbour and Turgeman would be good callups already looking ahead the following years.

Also interesting to note is that Arik Benado will be the new assistant coach at the NT. Should we assume he will leave his coaching role at Maccabi Haifa?

Anyways, polemical callups and it will never please all of the public. But without a doubt some weird decisions.

Too bad Benayoun did not get called. He deserved to get this match to be the most capped player for Israel.
post #16 of 281 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2014, 23:53
Eli
Eli
Rising Star

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, Israel NT, Liverpool
Maccabi Tel Aviv's fitness coach and assistant to head coach Paulo Sousa, Nacho Torreno, has been appointed this evening by Israel's national football team coach Eli Gutman as the side's fitness coach. Assigned to assist the squad in their 2016 European championship campaign, Torreno will carry out his duties in tandem with his work with the Maccabi Tel Aviv professional staff, who gave their approval for his dual responsibilities.
post #17 of 281 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2014, 02:42
Legend

Overall, not a bad group. I mean, when you look at it.... Israel needs 3rd and its possible for them to get. Like someone else mentioned, we dodged ALOT of hard teams we could have gotten like Russia, Spain, Germany, France etc...

None the less, when you disect everything its not a walk in the park either.
Israel needs to focus and the last few games Israel had wasnt anything we should be proud of. Losing 3-1 to Slovakia whom i would consider mediocre, having a team that hardly shows up and making constant bad mistakes.

First and foremost, i dont know why people are all high up on Wales. I dont think they are good and they make it in 5th place sometimes.... almost last... I think they may give Cyprus a run and win Andorra but thats about it. Look at their last group.... they were almost dead last if it wasnt for Makedonia.

Belgium is a toughie, but i think if the Spirit of 2006 taught us anything is that we can tie abroad and win at home. I think Belgium may be tough but with all the players we sent out to that nation....we should get our dividends finally and have some intelligence about their form of game. Its clearly not in the same level as Israels, but we competed there and did well in Club level and I believe we can do something good against them as well. I say tie abroad and win at home would be pleasant for me!

Bosnia & Herzegovina scared me a bit. They are like us..or were like us and just took off. Always been a tough team to play and their perseverance showed as they made it to to WC 14. This run is clearly successful and just something Israel can only dream of. So playing them is no walk in the park and id be happy for a tie at the moment at both games...

Cyprus - as you know. I dont sleep well at night having Cyprus in the same group. The team always loves to suck on us whenever they can and taking points from us has been a tradition. We have had them on our backs for a long time and we got them again now. They were key to our success in 2006 and they may still be a key now in trying to get in the top 3..hopefully 1st ofcourse. Nothing more nothing less but 2 wins and 6 points against them.

Andorra - should be target practice for us. This is the game where we can field new players and test our own...
The first meet should be a warm up against Bosnia at home. Second meet should be a warm up against Wales 3 days after..

In any case, its not a matter of qualifying 3rd. Its a matter of making it to 1st!

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #18 of 281 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2014, 07:28
Premier Player

Quote:
Overall, not a bad group. I mean, when you look at it.... Israel needs 3rd and its possible for them to get. Like someone else mentioned, we dodged ALOT of hard teams we could have gotten like Russia, Spain, Germany, France etc...

None the less, when you disect everything its not a walk in the park either.
Israel needs to focus and the last few games Israel had wasnt anything we should be proud of. Losing 3-1 to Slovakia whom i would consider mediocre, having a team that hardly shows up and making constant bad mistakes.

First and foremost, i dont know why people are all high up on Wales. I dont think they are good and they make it in 5th place sometimes.... almost last... I think they may give Cyprus a run and win Andorra but thats about it. Look at their last group.... they were almost dead last if it wasnt for Makedonia.

Belgium is a toughie, but i think if the Spirit of 2006 taught us anything is that we can tie abroad and win at home. I think Belgium may be tough but with all the players we sent out to that nation....we should get our dividends finally and have some intelligence about their form of game. Its clearly not in the same level as Israels, but we competed there and did well in Club level and I believe we can do something good against them as well. I say tie abroad and win at home would be pleasant for me!

Bosnia & Herzegovina scared me a bit. They are like us..or were like us and just took off. Always been a tough team to play and their perseverance showed as they made it to to WC 14. This run is clearly successful and just something Israel can only dream of. So playing them is no walk in the park and id be happy for a tie at the moment at both games...

Cyprus - as you know. I dont sleep well at night having Cyprus in the same group. The team always loves to suck on us whenever they can and taking points from us has been a tradition. We have had them on our backs for a long time and we got them again now. They were key to our success in 2006 and they may still be a key now in trying to get in the top 3..hopefully 1st ofcourse. Nothing more nothing less but 2 wins and 6 points against them.

Andorra - should be target practice for us. This is the game where we can field new players and test our own...
The first meet should be a warm up against Bosnia at home. Second meet should be a warm up against Wales 3 days after..

In any case, its not a matter of qualifying 3rd. Its a matter of making it to 1st!
I think the Welsh will finish ahead of us in 3rd place, they are in better form as a team right now. Not to mention, I think they have better players. We don't have any players as good as Bale or Ramsey.
post #19 of 281 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2014, 14:06
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golasa12 View Post
I think the Welsh will finish ahead of us in 3rd place, they are in better form as a team right now. Not to mention, I think they have better players. We don't have any players as good as Bale or Ramsey.

2 players dont make a team!
They need more than that

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #20 of 281 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2014, 20:55
ZZZ
Rising Star

Exactly, you don't think every team in this group is going to work on shutting down Bale?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in