To be honest, I don't see us producing a lot of quality defenders, as it is our midfielders and strikers are mostly mediocre for the International level of play as well. We can talk about how good our players do in whatever team or league they are in, but when they reach the international level, they haven't been producing.
This is a thought I wrote in another thread about our defense and why I believe we don`t enough good players in the position. See if you guys agree with it:
Just wanted to highlight the reasons I believe that our defense isn`t good.
1) Organization. Our youth ranks with very very very rare exceptions are quality level in terms of organization. We don`t have a real youth programme development in which the players have technical or tactical instructions to play at higher level when they reach professional team.
2) Height. Overall Israel is a medium sized nation in terms of population height and compared to European nations, especially central-northern ones the average Israeli tends to be smaller. Since defenders normally have a tall and strong biotype our pool for this type of of player is small. Placing this together with the first item I mentioned of lack of organization, plus having a small population in number doesn`t help either.
3) Mental. The truth is that there is a culture in Israel created by media and fans of extremism. What I mean by this is that in one week the player is the king, the other week the player is crap, there is no patience and pressure is not proportionate with our level. With that said, it is more comfortable for a player to miss a goal than a defender to lose a ball in his area and concede. So everyone once to be the "good guy".
4) Money. This item I would relate with the previous one as well. Guess it is a consequence. If media exposure is more given to the strikers and creative players, than there is a tendency that the player gives a preference to play in this coverage area. Defense wouldn`t be a good field if he aimed to receive a better wage and attention (and in the future a possible contract in Europe).
5) Conclusion: We aren`t organized enough to upgrade even though we know our problems, the Israeli player generally speaking is accomodated because he thinks he is a primadonna and the media treats him that way, therefore no one wants to play in defense. There is no teamplay which especially in defense is key!