Defenders for the 2014 qualifiers. - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Which four defenders would you pick to play for the NT in the upcoming campaign?
Tal Ben Haim (Portsmouth) 5 83.33%
Dekel Keinan (Cardiff City) 5 83.33%
Rami Gershon (Standard Liege) 5 83.33%
Salah Hassarmeh (Ironi Kiriat Shmona) 0 0%
Shir Tzedek (Ironi Kiriat Shmona) 0 0%
Shiran Yeini (Maccabi Tel Aviv) 1 16.67%
Israel Rosh (SC Ashdod) 0 0%
Oshri Roash (Hapoel Haifa) 0 0%
Sari Fallach (Maccabi Haifa) 2 33.33%
Itzik Cohen (Maccabi Haifa) 0 0%
Oded Gavish (Hapoel Beer Sheva) 0 0%
Walid Badir (Hapoel Tel Aviv) 1 16.67%
Ido Levi (Maccabi Netanya) 0 0%
Dan Mory (Bnei Yehuda) 1 16.67%
Shai Maimon (Maccabi Petah Tikva) 0 0%
Niso Kapiloto (Hapoel Acco) 0 0%
Zeev Haimovich (just left Terek Grozny) 0 0%
Other 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Defenders for the 2014 qualifiers.

Which central defenders whould you select to play for the NT in the upcoming campaign?

Please pick FOUR players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2012, 17:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Tal Ben Haim, Dekel Keinan, Rami Gershon and Dan Mory are my votes.

The first three are already regulars at the NT and they are a level above the others IMO (it doesn`t mean they are quality against top sides).
Tal Ben Haim is our best defender, but his current form is of decline, but experience, leadership and positioning are skills that could compensate in this role.
Keinan had a turbulent season moving from Blackpool to Cardiff then loaned to Crystal Palace and then returning to Cardiff. These constant moves aren`t really healthy for his form, but certainly in terms of quality he is above average for Israeli standards. He has good aerial game and a strong body and that is what we need for central defense.

Rami Gershon is the most technical of our defenders. Plays with both feet and that is really important since in modern football defenders need to know how to start the play especially when its midfielders are pressured.
Gershon should be a definite starter for our side. His loan period at Kortrijk made him well as he was called back Standard Liege right now in January instead of waiting until June.

The other remaining spot goes for Dan Mory. Always solid displays for Bnei Yehuda and for it is strange that none of the big clubs (who are needing defenders urgently) go after him.
He was already rumoured to join foreign sides and he is still young. Has good antecipation. IMO a good backup for the previous three.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2012, 18:00
Premier Player

I agree with you mostly, Mori or Falah should be no 4....I chose Falah, he is a good player, and still very young. Gershon and Keinan make me nervous when I watch them for the National Team...I would rather have Gershon start though, because he is faster than Keinan. Matan Barashi has been playing really well for Beitar lately. Keep an eye on him.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2012, 18:37
Rookie

Please no more Tal Ben Haim and Dekel Keinan they have no level to play stop with these players, we have great young players like Rami Gershon we must give them chance to play if we want progress we need to change.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2012, 18:47 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron75 View Post
Please no more Tal Ben Haim and Dekel Keinan they have no level to play stop with these players, we have great young players like Rami Gershon we must give them chance to play if we want progress we need to change.
I must say there aren`t in their prime, but they are certainly good player for our NT.
Tell me who do we have better besides Rami Gershon?

We good players our domestic play such as Mory, Fallach. Other players such as Shir Tzedek from Kiriat Shmona and Idan Weizman (who is actually a defensive midfielder) from Sakhnin are in great form, but it certainly won`t be enough to cope with Portugal and Russia. I still prefer Ben Haim or Keinan pairing up with Gershon than Tzedek and Fallach.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2012, 19:02
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
I must say there aren`t in their prime, but they are certainly good player for our NT.
Tell me who do we have better besides Rami Gershon?

We good players our domestic play such as Mory, Fallach. Other players such as Shir Tzedek from Kiriat Shmona and Idan Weizman (who is actually a defensive midfielder) from Sakhnin are in great form, but it certainly won`t be enough to cope with Portugal and Russia. I still prefer Ben Haim or Keinan pairing up with Gershon than Tzedek and Fallach.
This is the Big problem the defense, you don't see a young player with good potential playing in top club in Israel?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2012, 20:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
This is the Big problem the defense, you don't see a young player with good potential playing in top club in Israel?
Playing in Israel currently? I see several good defenders, but if we are talking here for the NT we need to have more criteria and imagine the player against the future opponents we will have.
Don`t forget we are playing Portugal for example. I rather see Ben Haim face Cristiano Ronaldo than Sari Fallach.

I see some good players with potential such as Fallach, Gavish, Mori, but still maybe not ready for the keys of defense.

I still see Gershon and Ben Haim as our duo at centreback.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2012, 03:28
Premier Player

Quote:
To be honest, I don't see us producing a lot of quality defenders, as it is our midfielders and strikers are mostly mediocre for the International level of play as well. We can talk about how good our players do in whatever team or league they are in, but when they reach the international level, they haven't been producing.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2012, 19:29 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golasa12 View Post
To be honest, I don't see us producing a lot of quality defenders, as it is our midfielders and strikers are mostly mediocre for the International level of play as well. We can talk about how good our players do in whatever team or league they are in, but when they reach the international level, they haven't been producing.
This is a thought I wrote in another thread about our defense and why I believe we don`t enough good players in the position. See if you guys agree with it:

Just wanted to highlight the reasons I believe that our defense isn`t good.

1) Organization. Our youth ranks with very very very rare exceptions are quality level in terms of organization. We don`t have a real youth programme development in which the players have technical or tactical instructions to play at higher level when they reach professional team.

2) Height. Overall Israel is a medium sized nation in terms of population height and compared to European nations, especially central-northern ones the average Israeli tends to be smaller. Since defenders normally have a tall and strong biotype our pool for this type of of player is small. Placing this together with the first item I mentioned of lack of organization, plus having a small population in number doesn`t help either.

3) Mental. The truth is that there is a culture in Israel created by media and fans of extremism. What I mean by this is that in one week the player is the king, the other week the player is crap, there is no patience and pressure is not proportionate with our level. With that said, it is more comfortable for a player to miss a goal than a defender to lose a ball in his area and concede. So everyone once to be the "good guy".

4) Money. This item I would relate with the previous one as well. Guess it is a consequence. If media exposure is more given to the strikers and creative players, than there is a tendency that the player gives a preference to play in this coverage area. Defense wouldn`t be a good field if he aimed to receive a better wage and attention (and in the future a possible contract in Europe).

5) Conclusion: We aren`t organized enough to upgrade even though we know our problems, the Israeli player generally speaking is accomodated because he thinks he is a primadonna and the media treats him that way, therefore no one wants to play in defense. There is no teamplay which especially in defense is key!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in