EURO 2012 Qualifiers: Latvia Vs Israel - Xtratime Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2011, 02:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend
 
berko's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Posts: 12,771
EURO 2012 Qualifiers: Latvia Vs Israel

Israel will have a critical game in Riga against Latvia and will need to collect all three points if it wishes to qualify to next years Euro 2012 tournament.
Currently the blue and white are tied in second place with Croatia with 10 points each, but the Croats still have one game in hand. Both are one point behind Greece that has the same number of matches of Croatia.

If Israel manages to beat Latvia it comes for a favourable challenger against Greece in September.

Luis Fernandez has called the final squad for the game that will be held on June 4th:

Keepers:

Dudu Aouate (Mallorca)
Dudu Goresh (Hapoel Acco)
Guy Haimov (Kiriat Shmona)

Defenders and Sidebacks:

Yuval Spungin (Omonia Nicosia)
Yoav Ziv (Maccabi Tel Aviv)
Tal Ben Haim (Portsmouth)
Dekel Keinan (Cardiff)
Rami Gershon (Kortrijk)
Itsik Cohen (Hapoel Acco)
Taleb Twatha (Maccabi Haifa)


Midfielders:

Yossi Benayoun (Chelsea)
Bibras Natkho (Rubin Kazan)
Eran Zahavi (Hapoel Tel Aviv)
Almog Cohen (Nurnberg)
Lior Refaelov (Maccabi Haifa)
Eyal Golasa (Maccabi Haifa)
Gal Alberman (Maccabi Tel Aviv)
Maor Buzaglo (Maccabi Tel Aviv)
Maor Melikson (Wisla Krakow)

Forwards and Strikers:

Tal Ben Haim (Maccabi Petah Tikva)
Ben Sahar (Hapoel Tel Aviv)
Omer Damari (Maccabi Petah Tikva)
Tomer Hemed (Maccabi Haifa)


Suprise callups of Guy Haimov as backup keeper instead of Levita and Harush who have been taunted as the substitute of Aouate.
In midfield the absence of Kiyal will be felt as the Celtic midfielder is injured, the same goes for Elyaniv Barda who injured himself last week in Genk´s final run for the Belgian title.

Once again Toto Tamuz and Eliran Atar were left out of the squad which has created a lot of criticism by the media. Gili Vermut who has been called up in all of Fernandez list this time won`t be part of the squad.


What do you guys think of the call up?
berko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2011, 01:26
Premier Player
 
Golasa12's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2007
Posts: 1,655
Atar and Biton for Damari and Ben-Haim please.
Golasa12 is offline  
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2011, 03:39
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 03 2011
Posts: 273
Goalies: Not ideal backups, but I doubt we'll see either of them on the pitch.

Defenders: No surprises, really. I'm curious who starts on the right side though.

Midfield: Obviously the best position, I'm tempted to say 5 of these guys should start, especially with Benayoun back. A little surprised not to see Tamir Cohen, he's played a good amount for Bolton lately.

Striker: Not an ideal group. I definitely want Sahar to start. I'm surprised not to see Biton or Arbeitman, both scored a lot in Belgium when they started.
m2k989 is offline  
 
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2011, 23:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend
 
berko's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Posts: 12,771
Coming from Fernandez there isn`t much we could guess, it is truly unpredictable and as I have previously mentioned it could work in Israel´s favor.
I am sad not to see Atar in the team, he is the player who could make a difference and in a play change the game for Israel.

From the players Fernandez took I would pick the following lineup.


----------------------------Aouate-----------------------------------

------Spungin---------Ben Haim----------Keinan-----------Gershon-----

------------------------Almog Cohen------Natkho-----------------

-----------Benayoun------------------------Refaelov---------------

----------------------------Buzaglo----------------------------

---------------------------Hemed-----------------------------------


I would pick a 4-5-1 formation with a fix striker upfront (Tomer Hemed). We would have a solid defensive midfield with Almog Cohen and Natkho with the latter being the first escape route for the Israeli initial plays. Then we have three highly technical players (Benayoun, Buzaglo and Refaelov) to move around the ball in midfield and confusing the Latvian defense with their movement.
On defense, Ben Haim and Keinan is the best we got while on the rightback I chose Spungin because we have no other (please no improvisation with Ziv), on the left Gershon is not a natural leftback, but he could do the job, I don`t see Twatkha ready for higher levels yet. With Gershon at the left Israel could during the game change to a 3-5-2 formation without substitutions and give Natkho more freedom to create.

Hemed is the best striker from the ones that were called up IMO, or at least the one I judge to be more suitable for the formation I mentioned.
berko is offline  
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2011, 01:21
Premier Player
 
Golasa12's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2007
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
Coming from Fernandez there isn`t much we could guess, it is truly unpredictable and as I have previously mentioned it could work in Israel´s favor.
I am sad not to see Atar in the team, he is the player who could make a difference and in a play change the game for Israel.

From the players Fernandez took I would pick the following lineup.


----------------------------Aouate-----------------------------------

------Spungin---------Ben Haim----------Keinan-----------Gershon-----

------------------------Almog Cohen------Natkho-----------------

-----------Benayoun------------------------Refaelov---------------

----------------------------Buzaglo----------------------------

---------------------------Hemed-----------------------------------


I would pick a 4-5-1 formation with a fix striker upfront (Tomer Hemed). We would have a solid defensive midfield with Almog Cohen and Natkho with the latter being the first escape route for the Israeli initial plays. Then we have three highly technical players (Benayoun, Buzaglo and Refaelov) to move around the ball in midfield and confusing the Latvian defense with their movement.
On defense, Ben Haim and Keinan is the best we got while on the rightback I chose Spungin because we have no other (please no improvisation with Ziv), on the left Gershon is not a natural leftback, but he could do the job, I don`t see Twatkha ready for higher levels yet. With Gershon at the left Israel could during the game change to a 3-5-2 formation without substitutions and give Natkho more freedom to create.

Hemed is the best striker from the ones that were called up IMO, or at least the one I judge to be more suitable for the formation I mentioned.
It still didn't make sense not to call Atar up, but I guess Banin advised Fernanez against it. Anyhow, Tal Ben-Haim2 and Omer Damari are not international quality...
Golasa12 is offline  
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2011, 01:46
Premier Player
 
Golasa12's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2007
Posts: 1,655
I also don't think Benayoun will start, he is too rusty..but he will probably come off the bench...
Golasa12 is offline  
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2011, 20:58 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend
 
berko's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Posts: 12,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golasa12 View Post
I also don't think Benayoun will start, he is too rusty..but he will probably come off the bench...
He is our captain and his presence is important for the team. Plus, the Latvians respect and fear him, even if not 100% he causes an impact, so IMO is important to be there with the team. Maybe not to start, but certainly an option.
berko is offline  
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 17:46
Premier Player
 
Golasa12's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2007
Posts: 1,655
Luis Fernandez had the team play in a 4-4-2 formation in Austria, however Omer Damari was injured. Perhaps he should call up Eliran Atar.


--------Tomer Hemed----Omer Damari--------
Lior Rafaelov--------------------Yossi Benayoun
---------Eran Zahavi-----Almog Cohen--------
Taleb Tawatha------------------Yuval Spungin
----------Tal Ben-Haim--Rami Gershon--------
-------------------Dudu Aouate---------------
Golasa12 is offline  
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 20:18
Legend
 
Kappa21's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
Posts: 11,734
No Sahar?!?!

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!
Kappa21 is offline  
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2011, 23:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend
 
berko's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Posts: 12,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golasa12 View Post
Luis Fernandez had the team play in a 4-4-2 formation in Austria, however Omer Damari was injured. Perhaps he should call up Eliran Atar.


--------Tomer Hemed----Omer Damari--------
Lior Rafaelov--------------------Yossi Benayoun
---------Eran Zahavi-----Almog Cohen--------
Taleb Tawatha------------------Yuval Spungin
----------Tal Ben-Haim--Rami Gershon--------
-------------------Dudu Aouate---------------
It seems a decent lineup from what he called up. My concern is with the defensive wings where the Latvians will pressure the crossing game over our defense. Both Gershon and Ben Haim aren`t tall and Spungin and Twatkha aren`t really a safe haven. But midfield and ttack looks good, maybe he could place Natkho or Buzaglo in midfield sacking Damari, to give more ball possession and movement for our team.
berko is offline  
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 01:13
Premier Player
 
Golasa12's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2007
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
It seems a decent lineup from what he called up. My concern is with the defensive wings where the Latvians will pressure the crossing game over our defense. Both Gershon and Ben Haim aren`t tall and Spungin and Twatkha aren`t really a safe haven. But midfield and ttack looks good, maybe he could place Natkho or Buzaglo in midfield sacking Damari, to give more ball possession and movement for our team.
I think since Damari is a doubt..this is the probable lineup with Buzaglo instead of Damari..
Golasa12 is offline  
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 18:36 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend
 
berko's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Posts: 12,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golasa12 View Post
I think since Damari is a doubt..this is the probable lineup with Buzaglo instead of Damari..
Even if Damari wasn`t injured I think it would be a more suitable lineup. We would have more movement in midfield making the Latvian run after our technical players. They have strong defenders that would be busy marking only Hemed, but would surprised by the entrance of Refaelov, Buzaglo and Benayoun coming from behind.
In this specific case maybe with Damari and Hemed, despite having two forwards our attack would be a bit estatic IMO as the midfield would move less, the ball wouldn`t reach too much the attack and both of our forwards would be isolated as Benayoun and Refaelov will be man marked. In this case Zahavi will need to be the key player.
berko is offline  
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2011, 03:59
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 07 2010
Posts: 713
How is Tamuz not called up? He is the leading goal scorer in Israel and has Champions League experience. Fernandes must not like him personally.
daydreamer is offline  
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2011, 19:55 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend
 
berko's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Posts: 12,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer View Post
How is Tamuz not called up? He is the leading goal scorer in Israel and has Champions League experience. Fernandes must not like him personally.
The same goes with Eliran Atar.

Sometimes it is easy to criticize a coach, but each one has its working phylosophy, but what both have in common?

They have strong personalities and sometimes individual behaviour in the pitch which certainly is not part of what Fernandez imagines for the NT. So looking on this aspect it is understandable.
berko is offline  
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2011, 19:18
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 07 2010
Posts: 713
a huge development....

Croatia 0 - 1 Georgia 16th min

If Georgia can hold on for at least a draw, it would be huge for Israel.
daydreamer is offline  
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2011, 20:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend
 
berko's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Posts: 12,771
According to reports Israel will field with:

Aouate, Spungin, Keinan, Ben Haim, Gershon; Almog Cohen, Zahavi, Benayoun, Buzaglo, Refaelov, Hemed.

IMO it is a good lineup, the same I suggested the only difference is that Zahavi enters in Natkho place.
berko is offline  
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2011, 20:25
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 07 2010
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
According to reports Israel will field with:

Aouate, Spungin, Keinan, Ben Haim, Gershon; Almog Cohen, Zahavi, Benayoun, Buzaglo, Refaelov, Hemed.

IMO it is a good lineup, the same I suggested the only difference is that Zahavi enters in Natkho place.
Looks like they are going with the "Pyramid" formation


--------------------------------Hemed------------------------------

-------------------Benayoun---------------Rafaelov-----------------

-----Buzgalo-------------------A. Cohen-----------------Zahavi-----

----Gershon----------Ben Haim----------Keinen-----------Spungin---

--------------------------------Aoaute-----------------------------
daydreamer is offline  
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2011, 00:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend
 
berko's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Posts: 12,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer View Post
Looks like they are going with the "Pyramid" formation


--------------------------------Hemed------------------------------

-------------------Benayoun---------------Rafaelov-----------------

-----Buzgalo-------------------A. Cohen-----------------Zahavi-----

----Gershon----------Ben Haim----------Keinen-----------Spungin---

--------------------------------Aoaute-----------------------------
Could be that in some moments of the game you look like this, but I believe Fernandez will use a 4-2-3-1.

Hemed as the lonely striker, while Refaelov on the left flank dribbling towards the middle as he usually likes to make it. Benayoun as the man behind the striker role which is the best one suited for him and on the other flank Buzaglo, that in the games against Georgia and Latvia at Bloomfield in March proved to be key for our victories exactly coming from that position.
Almog Cohen as the defensive midfielder alongside Eran Zahavi who will be responsible for the defense transition to midfield. Despite many criticisms I liked this lineup for the players he called up. I believe it is balanced and it highlights our strength and advantage over the Latvians: ability and passing. With these players we have all the possibilities to control possesion and it will be a mistake if we hold back especially with these players selected as we would give the Latvians the opportunity to make them use their physical superiority.
berko is offline  
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2011, 02:30
Premier Player
 
Golasa12's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2007
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer View Post
Looks like they are going with the "Pyramid" formation


--------------------------------Hemed------------------------------

-------------------Benayoun---------------Rafaelov-----------------

-----Buzgalo-------------------A. Cohen-----------------Zahavi-----

----Gershon----------Ben Haim----------Keinen-----------Spungin---

--------------------------------Aoaute-----------------------------
more like

--------------------------Hemed--------------------------
Rafelov-----------------Benayoun-------------------Buzaglo
------------Zahavi-------------------Almog Cohen----------
Spungin--------------------------------------------Gershon
-----------------Ben-Haim-------Keinan-------------------
--------------------------Dudu---------------------------
Golasa12 is offline  
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2011, 18:22
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 03 2011
Posts: 273
First half was exactly what we needed it to be. 2-0 Israel at the break. I'd say our players' speed and passing is more than the Latvians can handle. Buzaglo almost scored an amazing goal early, Benayoun got us on the board with a more normal one about 10 minutes later. Whatever you think of Shpungin as a defender, he did a great job earning that penalty which Ben Haim scored for us. The only negative has been a couple scary moments in our box, usually when Latvia gets the ball in the air. But we're getting the job done.
m2k989 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome