Should Fernandez resign? - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Should Fernandez resign?
Yes 3 50.00%
No 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2011, 10:49 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Should Fernandez resign?

After a dissapointing campaign so far and with a low perspective of qualifying for Euro 2012, added by bad displays, how do you guys rate Luis Fernandez era? Should he resign or be dismissed or our current situation is no this fault and he should continue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2011, 17:20
Rising Star

Teams: Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
After a dissapointing campaign so far and with a low perspective of qualifying for Euro 2012, added by bad displays, how do you guys rate Luis Fernandez era? Should he resign or be dismissed or our current situation is no this fault and he should continue?
without even thinking twice, I would fire him.
Not one of his games has there been anything you can take a positive from. They are playing so bad since his first game in the friendlies against Chile and Uruguay.
Get rid of him, waste of money and time.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2011, 19:24 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

I also believe that he isn´t working with the NT. It is nothing personal against him, but the team is playing badly and the worst he can´t really communicate well with the players because he doesn´t speak English. He walks all the time with the translator and speaks Spanish to Benayoun, Aouate or some other that might understand.

We are not giving signs of recovery and I really think that if Luzon is already thinking in changes he should do it now.

What I do say in Fernandez defense is that the pressure over him is way over the limit and this doesn´t make things easier. And also he gave opportunities to more players to show their potential.

But in resume I believe we should hire another coach. If the option is Israeli, which will probably happen after the current fiasco, then Gutman is the most natural candidate.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2011, 01:21
Premier Player

I dont think our team is that bad to lose they way they did against Serbia, granted Shechter, Itzhaki, and Damari are injured... the team doesnt look very inspired when they play, we need a coach that can motivate them, hopefully in their own language..I guess guttman is the next coach of the national team..
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2011, 02:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golasa12 View Post
I dont think our team is that bad to lose they way they did against Serbia, granted Shechter, Itzhaki, and Damari are injured... the team doesnt look very inspired when they play, we need a coach that can motivate them, hopefully in their own language..I guess guttman is the next coach of the national team..
We have the players, we are not a NT that only relies on Benayoun. So I agree with you, we aren`t this bad to play so ugly and to underachieve the way we are doing. And the most horrible thing of all that leaves me really mad is that we really had a real chance to qualify here, the other teams in the group aren`t better than us (excluding Croatia), and this is what dissapoints the most.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2011, 23:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

And if the pressure and problems over Fernandez weren`t enough, now FIFA has sent an email to the Israeli Football Association saying that if Fernandez doesn`t settle his dispute with Al Rayyan, former Qatari club the Frenchman coached in 2005.

If the deal is not settled IFA will have to replace a substitute in his place with the probable commandant being U-21 coach Guy Luzon.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2011, 01:25
Rising Star

Teams: M.Haifa, Israeli NT
fernandez shouldn't resign, he should be fired.

The results speak for themselves.

This qualification round for all intensive purposes is over. We need to start preparing for WC2014 qualification, and there is no time like the present.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2011, 20:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by colautti_2010 View Post
fernandez shouldn't resign, he should be fired.

The results speak for themselves.

This qualification round for all intensive purposes is over. We need to start preparing for WC2014 qualification, and there is no time like the present.
If they fire Fernandez right now they won´t have to pay him right? So maybe that was the excuse that Luzon was trying to reach.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2011, 03:08
Premier Player

I suspect Fernandez will be gone soon, this incident with the Qatari team will be a good excuse for the IFA to take get rid of him, no more taxi rides at the IFA's expense anymore..
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2011, 18:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
I suspect Fernandez will be gone soon, this incident with the Qatari team will be a good excuse for the IFA to take get rid of him, no more taxi rides at the IFA's expense anymore..
My opinion is nothing against his person, but only regarding professional issues. Our NT had a clear goal which was to qualify or to at least improve our playing and both won`t happen as things are going.

But now I see Avi Luzon is paving the way for his relative Guy Luzon to assume the ranks. Since he will be the probable substitute in the NT games against Latvia and Georgia.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2011, 22:11
Premier Player

Im somewhat opposed to Gai Luzon becoming national team coach because there is obviously the nepotism factor, but he has done a good job in his current position and at Bnei Yehuda, and It will be interesting to see what he can do with the National team.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2011, 22:23 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Im somewhat opposed to Gai Luzon becoming national team coach because there is obviously the nepotism factor, but he has done a good job in his current position and at Bnei Yehuda, and It will be interesting to see what he can do with the National team.
Guy Luzon did an excellent job with Maccabi Petah Tikva where he managed to qualify the team to Europa League (Uefa Cup at the time) Group Stage and with good results and displays. Let´s not forget that he didn`t have any pressure at Maccabi Petah Tikva since the club is run by the Luzon family and therefore he would only leave if the situation was unbareable or an internal affair.
At Bnei Yehuda he did a good job as well, not as much as in Petah Tikva, but it was good, he knows how to use young players and at Bnei yehuda he used Eliran Atar very well.
Luzon had a brief spell at Hapoel Tel Aviv where not many remember. And this also worries because when he had a bit more pressure in a bigger club he wasn`t exactly good. At NT he would have Avi Luzon backup, but a really big pressure by media and fans.

I still prefer Eli Gutman as the NT coach.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2011, 00:14
Rising Star

Teams: M. Tel-Aviv, Israel NT
It ain't over til the fat lady explodes!(taking that 1 extra slice of cake can actually be fatal... )

You can't throw in the towel after just 4 games. The 2 losses came against the 2 better teams in the group. On paper we should've achieved better results, but when professionalism, tactical knowledge, and fitness training are non-existent in Israeli football, what do you expect?

I don't like a number of things Fernandez is doing and the schedule clearly worked against him. The bottom line is: When the real matches occur, he's going to put at least 9 proven players on the field. That's his method.

We'll win these next 2 games and be back in it.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2011, 16:12 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daweed View Post
It ain't over til the fat lady explodes!(taking that 1 extra slice of cake can actually be fatal... )

You can't throw in the towel after just 4 games. The 2 losses came against the 2 better teams in the group. On paper we should've achieved better results, but when professionalism, tactical knowledge, and fitness training are non-existent in Israeli football, what do you expect?

I don't like a number of things Fernandez is doing and the schedule clearly worked against him. The bottom line is: When the real matches occur, he's going to put at least 9 proven players on the field. That's his method.

We'll win these next 2 games and be back in it.
True the qualifiers are not over, but you have to agree that we are not looking near to qualify the way we are playing.
Even with all our difficulties and chronical problems in Israeli football, we still could do much better. Fernandez is just being used as a scapegoat, it is not only his fault, but he is not dealing well with it.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2011, 20:52
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
True the qualifiers are not over, but you have to agree that we are not looking near to qualify the way we are playing.
Even with all our difficulties and chronical problems in Israeli football, we still could do much better. Fernandez is just being used as a scapegoat, it is not only his fault, but he is not dealing well with it.

We're not playing well, because he's constantly changing the line-ups. :frustrat: It's driving me insane!

If he would've used the same formation, that he used against Malta, against Georgia, we would've beat them. We also had our chances against Croatia and Greece, but it didn't work out.

We're not THAT bad, but Fernandez needs to show alot more consistency with his call-ups and line-ups. The players need to gel together. That's so important on the NT level!

My preferred line-ups for the upcoming matches(and from the start of the campaign):

4-2-3-1:

--------------------------- Sahar ---------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
Refaelov(G. Assulin) ------ Benayoun ---------------- Buzaglo
---------------- Kayal ---------------- A. Cohen ------------
N. Mantsur ------------------------------------------ D. Malul
----------------- Ben-Haim --------- Keinan(R. Gershon) -----
--------------------------- Aouate --------------------------

4-4-2 Diamond:

------------------ Sahar ----------- Barda(Arbeitman)--------
-------------------------- Benayoun -------------------------
Refaelov(G. Assulin)---------------------------------- Buzaglo
------------------------- Kayal(A. Cohen)--------------------
----------------- Ben-Haim --------- Keinan(R. Gershon) ------

All of our current NT fullbacks(excluding Shpungin) just don't have the required skill and IQ to play on a NT with high expectations. So, instead of fielding "experienced" players that make you sit on the edge of your seat and bite your nails EVERYTIME the opponent has the ball :rollani:, I'd rather integrate our next generation now. And as always... the more foreign-based players, the better

Last edited by Daweed; February 25th, 2011 at 00:06.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2011, 21:32
Premier Player

Teams: Maccabi Tel Aviv
u want Nir Mansour...a kid who is playing in the youth squad of Panathinaikos to play for our NT? u have to be crazy....
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2011, 22:14
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnorrer View Post
u want Nir Mansour...a kid who is playing in the youth squad of Panathinaikos to play for our NT? u have to be crazy....
This "kid", you're referring to, is 20 years old and plays for the reserve squad. He'll be in the first team next year.

This ''kid'' played 3 years at Real Madrid and is STILL playing in Europe. The fact that he's trained with one of the elite teams in the world and is capable of attracting a Greek powerhouse team speaks for itself.

Considering the current "talent"(:dielaugh pool that we have at the Left-back position, he's my #1 choice.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2011, 23:40 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Yeah consistency is a key word here and we are not having it. It is nice from Fernandez to give chances to more players to show their potential, but the big desire and pressure of everyone involved in the NT is to qualify no matter what. He is doing something a very long term project, which still is doubtful IMO (for instance calling up Dudu Goresh from Hapoel Acco as reserve keeper of Aouate instead of Levita or Harush).
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old February 25th, 2011, 00:49
Premier Player

Sahar has done nicely for Hapoel, but he has looked anemic recently in his displays with the national team. It will be interesting to see how he does if he goes back to Espanyol, as he is suing them for unpaid wages, I think a move to do the Dutch league would be good for him, will be interesting to see where he goes.

I believe that for the most part we have quality players except when it comes to defenders. If our next young generation can produce some good defenders, we should be set, but if not, then don't expect much, if we can't defend then we will never qualify for anything in Europe.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old February 25th, 2011, 00:52
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daweed View Post
We're not playing well, because he's constantly changing the line-ups. :frustrat: It's driving me insane!

If he would've used the same formation, that he used against Malta, against Georgia, we would've beat them. We also had our chances against Croatia and Greece, but it didn't work out.

We're not THAT bad, but Fernandez needs to show alot more consistency with his call-ups and line-ups. The players need to gel together. That's so important on the NT level!

My preferred line-ups for the upcoming matches(and from the start of the campaign):

4-2-3-1:

--------------------------- Sahar ---------------------------
Refaelov(G. Assulin) ------ Benayoun ---------------- Buzaglo
---------------- Kayal ---------------- A. Cohen ------------
----------------- Ben-Haim --------- Keinan(R. Gershon) -----

4-4-2 Diamond:

------------------ Sahar ----------- Barda(Arbeitman)--------
-------------------------- Benayoun -------------------------
Refaelov(G. Assulin)---------------------------------- Buzaglo
------------------------- Kayal(A. Cohen)--------------------
----------------- Ben-Haim --------- Keinan(R. Gershon) ------

All of our current NT fullbacks(excluding Shpungin) just don't have the required skill and IQ to play on a NT with high expectations. So, instead of fielding "experienced" players that make you sit on the edge of your seat and bite your nails EVERYTIME the opponent has the ball :rollani:, I'd rather integrate our next generation now. And as always... the more foreign-based players, the better
I agree with Berko, you can't start player who doesnt even start for the first team regularly. Bringing Mansour in now is a joke. Perhaps he is one for the near future, but he has done nothing to elicit a call up to the national team. Same with Dor Malul, he doesnt even make the bench sometimes for a mediocre Maccabi Tel-Aviv team. Ben-Haim needs to leave England. Either join a big team in Israel or goto a different league, like Russia, France, Holland...etc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in