Avi Luzon: "If Fernandez fails, Gutman will come" - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Who would you choose as Israel`s coach?
Eli Gutman 2 66.67%
Eyal Berkovic 1 33.33%
Avram Grant 0 0%
Keep Luis Fernandez 0 0%
Moti Ivanir 0 0%
Elisha Levi 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2011, 01:18 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Avi Luzon: "If Fernandez fails, Gutman will come"

In a surprising interview today Avi Luzon showed his total dissapointment with the current NT campaign and has mentioned that after Fernandez the next NT coach will be Israeli and Eli Gutman is the next candidate and favourite for the task.

IMO, Gutman would be the natural choice, he has proven to be an efficient coach, who knows how to use the players on the right positions and especially in the mental part. But IMO it was unecessary this comment to the media as this will take the credit and tranquility for Fernandez and his staff to work.

What do you guys think of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2011, 01:33
Premier Player

I'm neutral on this, I'm not really sure what Gutman can bring, perhaps more organization and discipline? Coaching a club team is different from coaching a national team, so we will see what happens...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2011, 10:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golasa12 View Post
I'm neutral on this, I'm not really sure what Gutman can bring, perhaps more organization and discipline? Coaching a club team is different from coaching a national team, so we will see what happens...
Maybe at the moment he is the most prepared coach for the NT (from the Israeli options). He is more experienced rigth and the abroad recognition is a prove of that as well. Gutman knows how to prepare a team for important games and that is exactly what the NT games are, every game is important. So IMO he won´t have hard time adapting himself. He will know to select players (even though every coach has its favourite players which many times displeases a sector of the fans and media).

If like Luzon says, an Israeli will assume after Fernandez, then Gutman is the best option we have. We have potentially good coaches for the future, like Roni Levi, Ran ben Shimon, Reuven Atar and Moti Ivanir, but for this moment, Gutman has more experience and is more prepared for the job.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2011, 01:07
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
Maybe at the moment he is the most prepared coach for the NT (from the Israeli options). He is more experienced rigth and the abroad recognition is a prove of that as well. Gutman knows how to prepare a team for important games and that is exactly what the NT games are, every game is important. So IMO he won´t have hard time adapting himself. He will know to select players (even though every coach has its favourite players which many times displeases a sector of the fans and media).

If like Luzon says, an Israeli will assume after Fernandez, then Gutman is the best option we have. We have potentially good coaches for the future, like Roni Levi, Ran ben Shimon, Reuven Atar and Moti Ivanir, but for this moment, Gutman has more experience and is more prepared for the job.
Don't forget Elisha Levi
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2011, 10:30 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golasa12 View Post
Don't forget Elisha Levi
Elisha aswell, but to be honest with you I don´t think he is the type of NT coach. He is more of a league coach, with time to prepare, training and forming a team, which obviously the NT doesn´t have.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2011, 21:19
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
NT is in crumbles....

Guttmann is no different than Fernandez....
I say bring Shum..or atleast find a respectable international....

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2011, 14:44 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21 View Post
NT is in crumbles....

Guttmann is no different than Fernandez....
I say bring Shum..or atleast find a respectable international....
Shum would be even worse for us!

IMO Gutman, currently seems the most prepared coach to assume the job.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2011, 00:41
Rising Star

Teams: M.Haifa, Israeli NT
hopefully Luzon fires LF tomorrow
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2011, 04:32
Rising Star

Hopefully Guttman or whoever else comes in is interested in setting up a clear system and working with it. I feel like Israel doesn't play a lot of friendlies, but they have long qualification campaigns every other year. So Fernandez comes in, he doesn't know the players, a lot of the talent is in transition anyway, and he just keeps trying new things. I couldn't believe it when I saw today's lineup- only 3 natural attackers? Yes, it worked ok in the first half, but this wasn't the game to be trying something brand new. 8 or 9 games into a qualification campaign, we should have a system that works and produces a decent performance, regardless of the opponent.

The next coach, whether it's Guttman or someone else, will have some advantages. More and more Israeli players are establishing themselves playing weekly at high levels in Europe. If Hemed and Shechter are producing in La Liga and the Bundesliga, for instance, it's easy to start them consistently instead of trying new strikers every match. Also, the new coach will have about a year before World Cup qualification starts. By the end of that year, he should have a set formation, and most of the starting spots should be solidly owned. The raw talent is there, but the coach has to put the players in a position to capitalize.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2011, 18:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Gutman is the most natural candidate to assume the job, he is not linked with any club at the moment and has proved himself in Europe.

He was the coach to lead Hapoel Haifa to its only league title and the following season a good European campaign recording wins over Besiktas, Brugge and Ajax.
The Netanya team that in the middle of the last decade fought for titles was built by him and the great Hapoel Tel Aviv of the last two years was under his guidance as well.

He should be given the chance, he is known to be disciplinarian coach and maybe we need a bit of this. The player mentality is sh*t, we need changes drastically.

Would guys choose Gutman?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2011, 00:21
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2k989 View Post
Hopefully Guttman or whoever else comes in is interested in setting up a clear system and working with it. I feel like Israel doesn't play a lot of friendlies, but they have long qualification campaigns every other year. So Fernandez comes in, he doesn't know the players, a lot of the talent is in transition anyway, and he just keeps trying new things. I couldn't believe it when I saw today's lineup- only 3 natural attackers? Yes, it worked ok in the first half, but this wasn't the game to be trying something brand new. 8 or 9 games into a qualification campaign, we should have a system that works and produces a decent performance, regardless of the opponent.
When Grant took over the NT position things changed..... More practices, more pay out, more exposure for players...
Things went well....it was after 2004 Euros and Israel readied itself to competing with top tier NTs and doing well...people thought it was a turning point for Israel.

Same thing, minus the practices occured with Kashtan.

I think we need to also put in mind that we arent getting too many friendlies. Do you think we were prepared for Greece and Croatia with only 1 summer game, playing neutral in Europe vs. Cote D'Ivory? I doubt it.... I think friendlies are important. Even U21 vs. NT

Quote:
The next coach, whether it's Guttman or someone else, will have some advantages. More and more Israeli players are establishing themselves playing weekly at high levels in Europe. If Hemed and Shechter are producing in La Liga and the Bundesliga, for instance, it's easy to start them consistently instead of trying new strikers every match. Also, the new coach will have about a year before World Cup qualification starts. By the end of that year, he should have a set formation, and most of the starting spots should be solidly owned. The raw talent is there, but the coach has to put the players in a position to capitalize.
Doesnt make no difference. They do well in their clubs and still suck in the NT. You would think that a player will learn some tactics from Spain or Germany, but an NT game is nothing more than a break and a vacation to visit family back home in a sense.

Moreoever, im getting the sense that a few players abroad may fake their injuries (Barda, Melikson) to dodge the NT "conscription" if this is true, they are a shame and i dont want to hear anything from them ever again!

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2011, 23:00 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

According to ONE Avram Grant is really close to coach the NT and substitute Luis Fernandez.
A official from IFA close to Avi Luzon said that currently they view Grant as the best option, someone with experience, that knows very well the NT and the Israeli mentality and has good relationsip with Luzon and that the decision will all depend on Grant.

IMO, he is one of the most succesful coaches without a doubt, experienced one and maybe in a long time the only one who will coach such a big club as Chelsea and almost win the Champions League. He was close to qualify us and we had good games under his guidance, I wouldn`t bother to see him in command.

On the other hand, I see that he has some relationship problems with some players and his callups would be nonetheless polemical than the ones from Fernandez. For example, I am not really sure he would call up Eliran Atar, just got this feeling.

My vote goes for Eli Gutman. Competent coach, that deserves his chance to coach the NT. I believe he could make a nice job and he knows how build teams and most of all motivate them. He imposes discipline in the team and I like that. Two excellent coaches available, it won`t be tough on this one.

The Berkovic option is risky, I like his gutts and the way he is fearless and certainly he would call up the best players. He would place the motivation and proudness he had for playing with the team, but not sure about that tactical issue, he never coached before. He would be like a Maradona for argentina in the last World Cup.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2011, 01:56
Legend

Look........ you get Grant....you may say goodbye to Ben Haim and Benayoun along the way and a few other plays who opened their mouths at him.....

Guttman is good, but he has no experience...

When I think about it, Grant is a coach who went from NT to England...and thats impressive!

But on the downside.....he didnt impress much in the 2004 Qualifiers, failing to get Israel 3rd. 2006 was a different story and the challenge he got was really appreciated.

But one must do the math to see where grant stands: Having coached 33 games for the NT, Grant has only won 14 games, TIED 13 and lose 6 times in 4 year run with the NT. giving him 43% win.
Kashtan had only 19, with 10 wins, 4 ties and 5 loses for 53% win!

While Fernendez had 14 games, with 6 wins, 1 draw a 7 loses!!!!!!!!! and the same percentage as Grant, but with half of the games...almost...

If Grant comes in I would like to see him take a strong approach and be here for a long period of time..... until the 2020s begin because we cant skip coaches.....

its this or a foreign coach......Slaven Bilic?

I think regardless of who they

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2011, 18:20 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21 View Post
Look........ you get Grant....you may say goodbye to Ben Haim and Benayoun along the way and a few other plays who opened their mouths at him.....

Guttman is good, but he has no experience...

When I think about it, Grant is a coach who went from NT to England...and thats impressive!

But on the downside.....he didnt impress much in the 2004 Qualifiers, failing to get Israel 3rd. 2006 was a different story and the challenge he got was really appreciated.

But one must do the math to see where grant stands: Having coached 33 games for the NT, Grant has only won 14 games, TIED 13 and lose 6 times in 4 year run with the NT. giving him 43% win.
Kashtan had only 19, with 10 wins, 4 ties and 5 loses for 53% win!

While Fernendez had 14 games, with 6 wins, 1 draw a 7 loses!!!!!!!!! and the same percentage as Grant, but with half of the games...almost...

If Grant comes in I would like to see him take a strong approach and be here for a long period of time..... until the 2020s begin because we cant skip coaches.....

its this or a foreign coach......Slaven Bilic?

I think regardless of who they
These statistics are interesting, but we also need to take in consideration the opponent strength. We all agree that Grant failed badly in his first qualifier and later remained undefeated for the 2006 qualifiers, his second campaign was a tough group with France, Switzerland and Ireland and our old rival Cyprus.

Kashtan has a decent first campaign against England, Croatia and Russia which IMO was even tougher while in the second one we failed badly against Switzerland, Greece and Latvia.
Numbers don´t lie and this case Kashtan was better than Grant, but than you see that in Israel you need to be friend of the media and that is where Grant has his merits. With him the NT won´t receive much pressure, even with a bad initial start no one said he should leave and in the second one most of the people were satisfied.
When Kashtan made a very good campaign defeating Russia, drawing England and putting a good fight against Croatia no one gave him good words.

So media contributes with the pressure on the NT.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2011, 00:41
Legend

Well Media helps end the marriage between a coach and the IFA..thats for sure...no one wants to resign. No one wants to fire..... speculators talk and then someone exits with ease....

Im just saying that Grant built something. Kashtan was great too, but regardless...Fernendez impact on the NT was useless since he didnt have a good footing with the NT.

I still think we should shop around the option for a foreign coach. We did pretty well under Neilsen and I think someone with some experience to get us to the promised land will contribute to the NT. Think if your a player in your first few caps, playing for a top tier israeli team.....having a coach who did well and brought a team to Euro/WC only influences you to do well and learn from him....

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in