Road to Euro 2012 - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: How will be Israel´s campaign for the Euro 2012 qualifiers?
Israel will qualify directly 1 6.25%
Israel will reach the playoffs and qualify 5 31.25%
Israel will reach the playoffs, but get eliminated. 6 37.50%
Israel will give a fight, but miss it as usual 4 25.00%
Israel will fail by far. 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 233 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2010, 16:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Road to Euro 2012

With the signing of Luis Fernandez as the new coach the Israeli campaign for Euro 2012 officialy began.

Today it was announced the schedule of games that Israel will play:

Here is the sequence.

03/09/10 - Israel vs Malta
07/09/10 - Georgia vs Israel
08/10/10 - Israel vs Croatia
12/10/10 - Greece vs Israel
26/03/11 - Israel vs Latvia
29/03/11 - Israel vs Gerogia*
04/06/11 - Latvia vs Israel
02/09/11 - Israel vs Greece
06/09/11 - Croatia vs Israel
11/10/11 - Malta vs Israel

* Game was to be played on October 7th 2011, but the date will be Yom Kipur, so the game was moved to 29/03/11.

Decent schedule. We open against the two in theory weaker opponents which will be good to give us some confidence and time for Fernandez to plan the ideal team for the big matches against Croatia and Greece in a sequence.

What do you guys think of the schedule?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 233 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2010, 17:33
ZZZ
Rising Star

Oops I voted for the wrong one, I meant to vote for the second option, as for the draw, I don't like the way we have to play Greece and Croatia back to back.
post #3 of 233 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2010, 02:44
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
lets lynch ZZZ!!!

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!

post #4 of 233 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2010, 02:53
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post

03/09/10 - Israel vs Malta
Satisfied with this match. 1st game and we play them at home infront of everyone. So the team will be beefed. Would like to play possibly Croatia/Greece, but what can u do?

Quote:
07/09/10 - Georgia vs Israel
Not bad as well since its September and warm in Georgia and we can really use the nice weather to do well. Even if its 5 days after and we fly out....

Quote:
08/10/10 - Israel vs Croatia
Should be interesting to see how well Israel does in this game. They will play at home and they can suprise many people since Croatia is vying to rebuild itself. Israel can manage a tie perhaps.

Quote:
12/10/10 - Greece vs Israel
Very crucial match. Israel is hoping to get the most out of this game and even a tie can be really well. The game is at Greece and I hope Israel wont do the same mistake and play in Crete in front of 35,000 underprivileged Greeks. We can really take charge in this match.

Quote:
26/03/11 - Israel vs Latvia
Revenge of Revenges! A home game in March. Should be exciting and hopefully we will be able to capitalize and win on Latvia unlike last time.

Quote:
29/03/11 - Israel vs Gerogia*
Good game for Israel at home. Back to Back against two teams we can surely get points from.

Quote:
04/06/11 - Latvia vs Israel
Might be tricky as we didnt do well against them in Riga, but the game is still fresh in our heads...Interesting that this game is in June. I dont recall many June matches.. The only one that comes to mind is Israel/Spain match in 2001

Quote:
02/09/11 - Israel vs Greece
Should be an intense match up. First, Israel and Greece start a new season and still cucumber season for the both and Israel can really take advantage of an out of shape Greek team.

Quote:
06/09/11 - Croatia vs Israel
Dont know if Croatia will spare us, but we seem to be the underdog in this game. We may do well since we play them early on in the season and they are still starting their season so alot of changes and out of shape players.

I like the fact that both crucial matches are after the summer and the begining of the season with GREECE and CROATIA!!!! That is a plus!

Quote:
11/10/11 - Malta vs Israel
Good way to end the tournament. Hopefully it wont end the same way as it did in 2003 when we were played out by Malta only to have a mediocre tie handed to us thanks to a balili goal in the 2nd half!!

Quote:
What do you guys think of the schedule?
If LF has its ways...
I predict this outcome for points

Low: 20 points
Most likely: 23 Points
Golden High Opprtounity: 26 points

I dont think we will go lower (g-d forbid) or higher...but thats the range of points i think we will take..... without the F'cked up incidents!

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #5 of 233 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2010, 11:25
Rising Star

Honestly i wouldn't get that suprised if Israel took the first place (if they manage to draw/beat Greece and get the points of the other matches like they should) as Croatia can easily drop points against weaker opponents .
post #6 of 233 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2010, 17:05 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusVVV View Post
Honestly i wouldn't get that suprised if Israel took the first place (if they manage to draw/beat Greece and get the points of the other matches like they should) as Croatia can easily drop points against weaker opponents .
Hopefully you are right. We have the potential do so, but it will be tough. There are some tiny issues that could decide a whole campaign.

My tendency as a hard core fan is to vote for Israel in first place or in the second option "qualifying for via playoffs", history shows that the most realistic option for this poll would be the fourth one "Israel gives fight, but doesn`t qualify".

The question is we really do have a chance in this group and the chances to qualify for the playoffs is even bigger, but the playoff draws are could also seal our fate.
post #7 of 233 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2010, 17:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21 View Post
Satisfied with this match. 1st game and we play them at home infront of everyone. So the team will be beefed. Would like to play possibly Croatia/Greece, but what can u do?
We couldn´t start in a better way IMO. With all the respect to Malta, this is a 3 point for Israel. The players will be highly motivated to prove to Fernandez they deserve a spot and we still will be gel up the team.
But surprises happen. Switzerland lost to Luxembourg at home, but somehow managed to qualify to the WC:rollani:

Quote:
Not bad as well since its September and warm in Georgia and we can really use the nice weather to do well. Even if its 5 days after and we fly out....
Best sequence, they level get up, but still we are able to collect all three points. I expect a very tough game away in Georgia, but Israel is better. Remember their main striker is Dvalishvili, our defenders should be able to cope with him.

Quote:
Should be interesting to see how well Israel does in this game. They will play at home and they can suprise many people since Croatia is vying to rebuild itself. Israel can manage a tie perhaps.
The real test comes. Croatia at home. We must win at home against straight oppoenents if we wish to qualify. The Croats are a strong team, but aren`t through a good moment. Israel should use the home advantage to pressure and win this game.

Quote:
Very crucial match. Israel is hoping to get the most out of this game and even a tie can be really well. The game is at Greece and I hope Israel wont do the same mistake and play in Crete in front of 35,000 underprivileged Greeks. We can really take charge in this match.
Four days later Greece. The extension of the real test. Honestly in this game depending from the result in Ramat Gan against Croatia a draw will be good. But we have seen that it is possible to collect at least one point.

Quote:
Revenge of Revenges! A home game in March. Should be exciting and hopefully we will be able to capitalize and win on Latvia unlike last time
Of course, the revenge. But we should go to the game focused on the three points and not remembering the last qualifiers. We are much more technical and have more players that could decide a match. A must win.

Quote:
Good game for Israel at home. Back to Back against two teams we can surely get points from.

Might be tricky as we didnt do well against them in Riga, but the game is still fresh in our heads...Interesting that this game is in June. I dont recall many June matches.. The only one that comes to mind is Israel/Spain match in 2001

Should be an intense match up. First, Israel and Greece start a new season and still cucumber season for the both and Israel can really take advantage of an out of shape Greek team.

Dont know if Croatia will spare us, but we seem to be the underdog in this game. We may do well since we play them early on in the season and they are still starting their season so alot of changes and out of shape players.

I like the fact that both crucial matches are after the summer and the begining of the season with GREECE and CROATIA!!!! That is a plus!

Good way to end the tournament. Hopefully it wont end the same way as it did in 2003 when we were played out by Malta only to have a mediocre tie handed to us thanks to a balili goal in the 2nd half!!

If LF has its ways...
I predict this outcome for points

Low: 20 points
Most likely: 23 Points
Golden High Opprtounity: 26 points

I dont think we will go lower (g-d forbid) or higher...but thats the range of points i think we will take..... without the F'cked up incidents!
As for the rest of the games, the approach will be according with the results of the previous ones and where we will stand at the table.

Good that we end our campaign against Malta and if we reach the last round only depending on our game we are able to do it.

Greece at home will be a decider IMO. 3 points at Ramat Gan and this could mean we are qualifyed, at least for the playoffs.
post #8 of 233 (permalink) Old April 2nd, 2010, 15:03
Rising Star

Teams: M. Tel-Aviv, Israel NT
As long as Israel plays to its strength, which is its offense, Israel will quality. It cannot show respect to any team, because none of them(with exception of Greece) have won anything. If Israel continues with the bullsh*t scared mentality, which it has mastered over the years, then don't be surprised when Israel ties Malta at Ramat-Gan.

With that said, it's the beginning of a new campaign and Israel cannot rely on other results than her own if she wishes to qualify. Therefore, Israel must win her 5 home games and get 9 points in Latvia, Georgia, and Malta. If they can accomplish that, than the games in Greece and Croatia will be of no significance. Of course, this is the ideal scenario. The important thing is turning Ramat-Gan into a fortress. I would prefer hosting Latvia, Georgia, and Malta at Bloomfield but I don't see that happening. The point is that Israel must win all its home matches.
post #9 of 233 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2010, 00:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daweed View Post
As long as Israel plays to its strength, which is its offense, Israel will quality. It cannot show respect to any team, because none of them(with exception of Greece) have won anything. If Israel continues with the bullsh*t scared mentality, which it has mastered over the years, then don't be surprised when Israel ties Malta at Ramat-Gan.

With that said, it's the beginning of a new campaign and Israel cannot rely on other results than her own if she wishes to qualify. Therefore, Israel must win her 5 home games and get 9 points in Latvia, Georgia, and Malta. If they can accomplish that, than the games in Greece and Croatia will be of no significance. Of course, this is the ideal scenario. The important thing is turning Ramat-Gan into a fortress. I would prefer hosting Latvia, Georgia, and Malta at Bloomfield but I don't see that happening. The point is that Israel must win all its home matches.

Agreed. I just hoped that we played at Teddy or Bloomfield that are more home atmosphere stadiums.
post #10 of 233 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2010, 18:09
Rookie

People are being very optimistic in the poll. There's a greater possibility that Israel will fail by far than that it will make it. Nobody in the world is really taking the possibility of Israel making it seriously.

Easily the most reasonable option is #4: Israel will make it a fight, but will eventually come in third in the group.
post #11 of 233 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2010, 21:37 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger99 View Post
People are being very optimistic in the poll. There's a greater possibility that Israel will fail by far than that it will make it. Nobody in the world is really taking the possibility of Israel making it seriously.

Easily the most reasonable option is #4: Israel will make it a fight, but will eventually come in third in the group.
Well, I must say that the poll has a mix of passion and realism. We know it is tough for Israel to qualify, but on the other hand the group draw gave us a slighter hope to achieve our goal.
Plus, with our hearts wanting to see Israel in a major competition and with the signing of a new coach the fuel was renewed.

I would say that a 3rd place based on history and tradition would place us in third position, but since the golden generation of Berkovic, Revivo and co. this is definitely the most talented generation we have.

We need to believe more in our potential. NT´s fear us when they visit Israel, we have a very home atmosphere and we rarely lose at home, if we had more belief we would obtain even better results.
post #12 of 233 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2010, 17:10
Legend

Its the few goals that really make the tournament a make or break for Israel. Many know that Israel has the potential and we showed that but we never really capitalized on the opprotunity. In 2006 we just did what everyone else in the group did which was to tie + we beat Cyprus. Now we seemed to fail to score when needed and that can cost us like it did in 2010 Q

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #13 of 233 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2010, 06:34
Rookie

Quote:
Its the few goals that really make the tournament a make or break for Israel. Many know that Israel has the potential and we showed that but we never really capitalized on the opprotunity. In 2006 we just did what everyone else in the group did which was to tie + we beat Cyprus. Now we seemed to fail to score when needed and that can cost us like it did in 2010 Q
In 2006, Israel NT was led by Avraham Grant, a much better coach than we had in 2008/10 and probably better than the coaching we'll get in 2012. Grant was a damn good coach, as good as Israel can get. Big time coaches are obviously not coming to Israel, as Luzon just found out.
post #14 of 233 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2010, 16:05 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger99 View Post
In 2006, Israel NT was led by Avraham Grant, a much better coach than we had in 2008/10 and probably better than the coaching we'll get in 2012. Grant was a damn good coach, as good as Israel can get. Big time coaches are obviously not coming to Israel, as Luzon just found out.
In terms of tactics, Grant indeed was the best one in the last campaigns. We end up being too harsh on criticism on the players and coaches because of our desire to succeed.

He didn´t posses in his campaign the players that are available ofr us today, so maybe if we had the current players under Grant we would advance.
post #15 of 233 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2010, 00:50
Legend

Grants success in 2006 rose because he learned how an underdog team like Greece managed to play smart and beat top teams like they did in Euro 2004. He picked up on it quickly and gave it to the players. The players also got a 'gift' to win so they were encouraged even more.

Today the system is different.
If Grant was any good he would have done his trick in Euro 2004 and got us in to Portugal, but we ended up drawing Malta in the end of the tournament.

Maybe we give coaches only 2 tournaments to prove themselves. We gotta have a coach who is not afraid to make it 1st or last..... and do it (even last) for 2 tournaments. Atleast he has a self realization that he sucks and that Luzon's are going to play the PR drama and have him all of a sudden 'resign' in good faith....

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #16 of 233 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2010, 16:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Grants success in 2006 rose because he learned how an underdog team like Greece managed to play smart and beat top teams like they did in Euro 2004. He picked up on it quickly and gave it to the players. The players also got a 'gift' to win so they were encouraged even more.

Today the system is different.
If Grant was any good he would have done his trick in Euro 2004 and got us in to Portugal, but we ended up drawing Malta in the end of the tournament.

Maybe we give coaches only 2 tournaments to prove themselves. We gotta have a coach who is not afraid to make it 1st or last..... and do it (even last) for 2 tournaments. Atleast he has a self realization that he sucks and that Luzon's are going to play the PR drama and have him all of a sudden 'resign' in good faith....
Grant´s first campaign for the 2004 qualifiers was the worst moment because our golden generation was getting old, Revivo, Berkovic Nimni, Banin and co. were all already above the thirties and Grant wanted to make a renovation, that began in the 2006 campaign which almost payed off.
He understood that it was time for Yossi Benayoun to step in as key player and not stay on the shadows of the previously mentioned.

Kashtan got the consequence of Grant´s work, but the problem is that the veteran coach got many yougsters and the mentality (despite being Israeli) is different. And guess that this was indeed one of the problems for our team.

Fernandez now has in his hands the best generation the 90`s and the players more mature, an experienced Yossi Benayoun and he has a good material to succeed. We need right now is to develop the mental and physical part and above all have faith and believe that we can otherwise we will fall once again.
post #17 of 233 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2010, 01:23
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
Grant´s first campaign for the 2004 qualifiers was the worst moment because our golden generation was getting old, Revivo, Berkovic Nimni, Banin and co. were all already above the thirties and Grant wanted to make a renovation, that began in the 2006 campaign which almost payed off.
He understood that it was time for Yossi Benayoun to step in as key player and not stay on the shadows of the previously mentioned.

Kashtan got the consequence of Grant´s work, but the problem is that the veteran coach got many yougsters and the mentality (despite being Israeli) is different. And guess that this was indeed one of the problems for our team.
Yea, but then again...look at the other National Teams. Coaches were interested in experience instead of young and fresh players wanting to show abilities. It didnt make any sense for NT coaches to bring in a young player. Players had to play for the juniors until 23. By the time they are 26 or 27 they are regulars. That changed now.... Now a 27 year old can become a captain. 30 year old player just takes too much space and time unless he is a Goal Keeper or a complete prodigy after 30+.

It used to be that youths only got a chance to compete at high levels in the olympics and be part of the National Team representing their country in the summer olympics. But that changed.

It makes more sense to be creative now than to feild players who want to compete for 100+ cap careers.

Quote:
Fernandez now has in his hands the best generation the 90`s and the players more mature, an experienced Yossi Benayoun and he has a good material to succeed. We need right now is to develop the mental and physical part and above all have faith and believe that we can otherwise we will fall once again.
With what i said in the top, i somehow feel that Benayoun's career in the NT may be in the high now, winding down a little..... He has held 5 tournaments in WC/EURO and i feel that in 2016 he may put his boots up or in the middle of the campaign.

If that occurs or even now, lets say that we source a good leader for our future NT captain, then a fight will erupt..most likely a egotistic battle between say...Sahar, Shechter, Arbeitman and even Itzhaki.....
Team players or Team Foes?

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #18 of 233 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2010, 03:24 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Well it depends, you rely on experienced players when you don´t have much time to work, if Fernandez is given time to work with youngsters he will have a big chance on his hands.
post #19 of 233 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2010, 19:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Luis Fernandez wil begin officially as Israeli NT coach on May 1st and with this announcement it probably means he will be at the sidelines of the team already in the scheduled friendlies in May against Uruguay and Chile.

It will also be announced who will be officially his assistant coach. Tal Banin was the choice of the Frenchman, but Avi Luzon wants Eli Ohana:rollani:

I mean, once you pick a coach you need to leave him the right to choose who he wants to work with. Luzon is already messing it up.
post #20 of 233 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2010, 20:07
Premier Player

Teams: Maccabi Tel Aviv
off topic....when do the fu(k the nazis from adidas plan to give us our new shirt...!!! :frustrat:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in