Israel hires Luis Fernandez - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2010, 00:01 Thread Starter
Rookie

Israel hires Luis Fernandez

Quote:
Luis Fernandez after a few weeks of speculation has signed on to be the next coach of Israel’s National Football Team. The Chairman of the IFA, Avi Luzon, held a press conference which can be seen here. Luzon said that Fernandez has extensive knowledge of Israeli football and players. He also talked about Fernandez’s previous experience at Beitar Jerusalem and various other big clubs like Paris St.Germain. Tal Banin will be Fernandez’s assistant coach and Fernandez’s contract will end in December of 2011. Israel has struggled in its past qualifiers with relatively easy opponents and Fernandez was brought in because of the failure of the past two domestic coaches for the National Team. His predecessors favored a more bunker style of football with both fullbacks hardly going forward, and the employment of two or three defensive midfielders.Fernandez is known for his attractive and offensive style of football.

http://israelfootball.wordpress.com/...al-team-coach/
I like this signing. I wanted a foreign coach, and this guy actually knows something about Israeli soccer.

He may be the best combo of an Israeli and a foreign coach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:35
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger99 View Post
I like this signing. I wanted a foreign coach, and this guy actually knows something about Israeli soccer.

He may be the best combo of an Israeli and a foreign coach.
I agree.
He is the best. But I recommended that Israel hire Zico. The fact that unlike LF, Zico has held experience in NT level makes him a strong candidate. He also plays in the Greek League and can give us a strong insight into the Greek mentality.

That being said, LF is good because he knows many players in the Israeli team and is not someone who will miss on the opprotunity to just put Benayoun and the Israeli foreign legions. The good part is that he will work with alot of other coaches and assistants to get the Israeli NT to par with what they know of Israeli soccer and he can bring his knowledge of good footballing techniques. This is like a Foreign team for the NT players....almost

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2010, 18:13
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
To tell you the truth I believe it was indeed the best option from what we heard. The hot Israeli prospect was Eyal Berkovic, who IMO has all it takes to be the coach, but hasn`t any experience and it would be a dangerous gamble.

The other top foreign coaches mentioned were experienced, opposite from Berkovic, but on the other hand they knew nothing on Israeli football and would take too much time. They wouldn`t play a good football because of their reputation and they would field us to play defensively.

Luis Fernandez is the mid term. Was a great player and was member of the great French team from the 80`s playing alongside Platini. He won an Euro in 1984 fro France and as a coach he has a Cup Winners Cup title with PSG and also the Leagu title. Plus, he knows Israeli football and likes Israel as well. His teams plays attractive football. So honestly speaking, he is the best option IMO.

One thing I liked from his interview is that he mentioned many times we had talent. This means he already identifies some potential players, I remebered he liked a lot Itzhaki and Ben Shushan at Beitar.

Good Luck Fernandez.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2010, 23:13
Legend

Playing in the France NT level alongside Plantini doesnt mean much really.. There are alot of great players who came and went and now you see them fight for a coaching spot after retirement. What they did previously does not mean much sometimes..... Remember that he ended up in Kuwait or Qatar a while back..... And even Scolari is in Uzbekistan..mainly for the money...but is he washed up?

I just see him as someone who can train and give a different technical eye to the game.

Berkovic on the other hand is a good match, but yet...he still has to prove himself. He retired like...4 years ago almost? and yet..i dont hear him once talking about coaching a lower side like Ramat Hasharon or even.... i dont know HPT?

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:40
Legend

Share |
The Fernandez Era / Only the passport is foreign
By Elad Lipshitz

Sometime, somewhere, the stage will arrive when you'll stop being excited by the fact that Luis Fernandez knows how to dip pita into hummus. But meanwhile, they tell you how much he's a perfect fit, how much he has a warm personality, how much his mentality is really Israeli and how much he is capable of quickly adapting here. And so, Fernandez will indeed be absorbed and assimilated here as the new national coach - all too quickly.

The thought of appointing a foreign coach was correct. It had the power to instill a new norm, to innovate. But Fernandez doesn't come anywhere close to the model behind the idea.
Advertisement

We were supposed to get a coach that would seem much greater than us - with grace, authority and a style unknown here - and not someone who marked time with us in the league and like everyone else got locked out by Maccabi Haifa.

We've already seen this in living color, and all the players who will be on his squad have seen him vulnerable, sometimes helpless in a mediocre Premier League. How exactly are they now to believe that a dominant European leadership figure has landed?

During his stint with Beitar Jerusalem, the moody Fernandez turned too much into one of us, an ugly Israeli among ugly Israelis. Europe is full of mediocre and relatively cheap coaches, perhaps up to par or not, but at least they would project some sterile image of erudition.

None of this mystique lies with Fernandez. He already played with us once in the neighborhood sand box, and back then he wasn't that amazing.

We didn't meet him for the first time yesterday. Fernandez was here. He was ground up and worn out. He didn't manage to do a thing. He is more or less another Lotthar Matthaus, the former Maccabi Netanya coach.

Yes, he has a French passport. But the rest is too Israeli: his history of being temperamental, his lack of sophisticated tactics, the short fuse, the short list of major accomplishments, going more with impulse than with his head and tense nerves without much innovation.

Did Avi Luzon and the collection of Halubas sitting in the Israel Football Association really bring a foreign coach, or is just his passport foreign?

The national team is in effect getting an Israeli coach with foreign citizenship. It's just another shady plan, Israel style, cooked up in a hummus shop.

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2010, 16:58
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21 View Post
Playing in the France NT level alongside Plantini doesnt mean much really.. There are alot of great players who came and went and now you see them fight for a coaching spot after retirement. What they did previously does not mean much sometimes..... Remember that he ended up in Kuwait or Qatar a while back..... And even Scolari is in Uzbekistan..mainly for the money...but is he washed up?

I just see him as someone who can train and give a different technical eye to the game.

Berkovic on the other hand is a good match, but yet...he still has to prove himself. He retired like...4 years ago almost? and yet..i dont hear him once talking about coaching a lower side like Ramat Hasharon or even.... i dont know HPT?
So this also applies to Berkovic. I mean, he was a great player, maybe the best Israeli of all time, but like you said it doesn`t matter too much what happened in the past as a player (of course it has some weight, I mean all this campaign for Berkovic to the NT was due to his big name in Israeli football).
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2010, 17:01
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Share |
The Fernandez Era / Only the passport is foreign
By Elad Lipshitz

Sometime, somewhere, the stage will arrive when you'll stop being excited by the fact that Luis Fernandez knows how to dip pita into hummus. But meanwhile, they tell you how much he's a perfect fit, how much he has a warm personality, how much his mentality is really Israeli and how much he is capable of quickly adapting here. And so, Fernandez will indeed be absorbed and assimilated here as the new national coach - all too quickly.

The thought of appointing a foreign coach was correct. It had the power to instill a new norm, to innovate. But Fernandez doesn't come anywhere close to the model behind the idea.
Advertisement

We were supposed to get a coach that would seem much greater than us - with grace, authority and a style unknown here - and not someone who marked time with us in the league and like everyone else got locked out by Maccabi Haifa.

We've already seen this in living color, and all the players who will be on his squad have seen him vulnerable, sometimes helpless in a mediocre Premier League. How exactly are they now to believe that a dominant European leadership figure has landed?

During his stint with Beitar Jerusalem, the moody Fernandez turned too much into one of us, an ugly Israeli among ugly Israelis. Europe is full of mediocre and relatively cheap coaches, perhaps up to par or not, but at least they would project some sterile image of erudition.

None of this mystique lies with Fernandez. He already played with us once in the neighborhood sand box, and back then he wasn't that amazing.

We didn't meet him for the first time yesterday. Fernandez was here. He was ground up and worn out. He didn't manage to do a thing. He is more or less another Lotthar Matthaus, the former Maccabi Netanya coach.

Yes, he has a French passport. But the rest is too Israeli: his history of being temperamental, his lack of sophisticated tactics, the short fuse, the short list of major accomplishments, going more with impulse than with his head and tense nerves without much innovation.

Did Avi Luzon and the collection of Halubas sitting in the Israel Football Association really bring a foreign coach, or is just his passport foreign?

The national team is in effect getting an Israeli coach with foreign citizenship. It's just another shady plan, Israel style, cooked up in a hummus shop.
Interesting article. His arguments are good. But wasn`t one of the complaints of bringing a foreign coach is that until he get to know the players it would be too late to qualify?

I mean, if the problem was that he didn`t know the players, than the fact of bringing Fernandez isn´t a problem at all. It is a plus for us.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2010, 17:07
Forum Manager
Legend

Another brief news regarding the issue: At IFA they are deciding on the assistant coach to work with Fernandez.

Luzon and most of the IFA wanted Ohana, Fernandez wanted Banin because he knew him better and Banin also had a spell in France for Cannes, maybe he speaks a bit of French.
Luzon is suggesting that both will be assistant coaches. Man, Luzon is trying to make everything for us not to qualify. I mean, if Fernandez wants to work with Banin and only Banin, why pushing him to work with Ohana as well?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2010, 17:43
Legend

I think the assistant coach should be Israeli. Banin..again...where do they come out with these names.

I think we should also consider Reuven Attar and even Berkovic along with Ohana. French or not...he will speak minimal and if they want a translator get a French-English-Hebrew interpreter for under 40K

I can do it :super:

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2010, 17:54
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
I think the assistant coach should be Israeli. Banin..again...where do they come out with these names.

I think we should also consider Reuven Attar and even Berkovic along with Ohana. French or not...he will speak minimal and if they want a translator get a French-English-Hebrew interpreter for under 40K

I can do it :super:
Don´t think Berkovic would work with Fernandez due to strong personalities and this could cause an internal headache. Plus, Berkovic was a candidate and players expressed their interest in him, so it wouldn´t be a good idea to bring in Berkovic at this point.

Regarding the assistant coach, it will be Israeli and Fernandez said he wanted an Israeli assistant coach. Regardless from the name, from the point you choose a coach, he has the right to choose whoever he wishes to work with him and help him in his work. They can´t intervene and if they do it is already wrong.

From the moment they chose Fernandez as NT coach they gave him the confidence that he is the man for the job, so they should also leave him with autonomy to work and impliment his style.

He wants Banin, let he work with Banin. Plus, Tal has a good history in the NT and was working with the NT at the U-17.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2010, 20:20
Rising Star

Oh please this race for at assistent manager position is ridiculous!
Ohana and Ivanir are getting pushed around just that Guy Luzon will get the U-21 NT, Luzon doesn't really care what happenes as long as his relative gets the job. how does nobdoy in the goverenment raises a shout about this "schuna"?

Fernandez doesn't even get to bring a foreign coach with him so the least he can recive is choosing his own assistent, i mean he is the manager isn't he?

p.s.

Luis Fernandez is a great choice for our NT manager and i wish him the best!
I just hope the FA doesn't ruin his work or limit his capabilities because he has a lot to donate to our football.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2010, 22:14
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
Oh please this race for at assistent manager position is ridiculous!
Ohana and Ivanir are getting pushed around just that Guy Luzon will get the U-21 NT, Luzon doesn't really care what happenes as long as his relative gets the job. how does nobdoy in the goverenment raises a shout about this "schuna"?

Fernandez doesn't even get to bring a foreign coach with him so the least he can recive is choosing his own assistent, i mean he is the manager isn't he?

p.s.

Luis Fernandez is a great choice for our NT manager and i wish him the best!
I just hope the FA doesn't ruin his work or limit his capabilities because he has a lot to donate to our football.
Haven´t thought about Guy Luzon taking over the U-21. Is that likely, I mean haven´t heard anything about this. Ivanir is doing a great job in the U-21 IMO, too bad that in the last qualifiers we were drawn to face Italy and in this case obviously it would be almost impossible to go through.

I agree with you Ariel, as I mentioned in my previous, once appointed coach Fernandez has the right to choose whoever he wants to be his assistant and whoever he wishes to be in his staff. So if he wants Tal Banin, let him work with Banin.

Probably he will bring Tiberius Darrau, the polemical fitness coach that worked at Beitar with Fernandez and later had a short spell with Maccabi Tel Aviv.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2010, 22:48
Legend

Tiberius Darrau is a nut case!!!!!!!!!!!

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2010, 08:32
Rising Star

Teams: ISRAEL NT & Maccabi Haifa & Beitar Jerusalem!
Tiberius Darrau? Is he Israeli? Or Arab?

Israel #1
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2010, 18:22
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MakkabI] View Post
Tiberius Darrau? Is he Israeli? Or Arab?
He is French. Not Jewish and not arab.

He was a really old guy and the players feared him because he was very mad man

He had a spell at Beitar when Fernandez was coach and later Maccabi Tel Aviv hired him.

His physical preparation for the players was rigid and very good.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2010, 01:58
Legend

This guy made a boy into a real man!

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in