Guy Luzon as a NT Coach? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2009, 02:38 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
Guy Luzon as a NT Coach?

If there's one thing guaranteed to get Guy Luzon hot under the collar, it's when the media refer to his current success as coach of Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv as a "comeback."

"I have been so successful as a coach," he told Haaretz yesterday, "and the only thing that people remember is my five months at Hapoel Tel Aviv. They make it sound like I was there for 50 years. After all my success at Maccabi Petah Tikva, five bad months at Hapoel Tel Aviv turned everyone against me."
Advertisement

"They said I had crashed," he continued, "they said I was finished, they said I was a terrible coach and they said that I only got my break as a coach because of my family name. The public should decide now whether everything that was written about me was professional or whether it was motivated by a more personal agenda."

I take it you still haven't put your time at Hapoel behind you?

"The criticism [leveled against] me was not professional. For years people attacked me in order to hurt my uncles - Avi and Amos Luzon. My family name drew fire. I met with senior sports writers who told me that they know how much I mean to my uncles - and that's why they did hatchet jobs on me. They told me that if I didn't want to draw fire, I should quit soccer. The bottom line is that I don't carry any scars from my time at Hapoel. I am the same coach I was before, but a different person. I learned a hell of a lot about what happens within a soccer club - but away from the field. I learned that there are plenty of nasty people out there. If I focus on settling scores, I won't be successful in my present club. I need to concentrate all my skills on getting results."

Now things are changing. Everyone recognizes that you are talented and that your family name is irrelevant.

"It's about time. After nine years of coaching in the Premier League, winning the Toto Cup, coming second in the league, winning more than 100 games in total and coaching 25 games in European competitions - twice making it to the second stage - I really think it's about time. So thanks for that."

How did you turn Bnei Yehuda into a Top Three team?

"When I joined Bnei Yehuda, people said I would get the team relegated. They couldn't understand how Bnei Yehuda signed me. But unlike others, they looked at my record before making up their minds. They looked at what I had done over a career, not a season. When I started working in earnest, I realized that the team had a lot of promising youngsters who were hungry for success. I knew right away that I could build a good team, but I had to make significant changes to the way they approached the game. All they cared about was staying in the Premier League, so I made it clear to them that, under me, they should start thinking about winning things."

People say you're the leading candidate to coach the under-21 national team. Could see yourself coaching the full national team sometime in the future?

"I was ready to coach the under-21s two years ago and now I'm ready to take on any coaching position in the national team set-up. I honestly believe I have what it takes to coach Israel - and I'm sure that in the future I will do just that."

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2009, 02:39 Thread Starter
Legend

Not open to that. He has done well in Bney Yehuda, but still.....Just a step closer to having the IFA being colonized by the Luzon dynasty.

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2009, 21:15
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Guy Luzon is one of our good coaches indeed and he had a very good period with Maccabi Petah Tikva which not coincidently was their best moment in the and where they played in European comptetition.

Now with Bnei Yehuda he has made a very good progress with the club with an impressive display in Europe this season and continues firmly in the top of the league this season trying another season in Europe.

He has a lot of potential and certainly in a near future will be a candidate, but i don´t see him as our senior coach at this moment. Maybe for the U-21 he will do well.

IMO Reuven Atar would be better option for the NT.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2009, 22:15 Thread Starter
Legend

Ruven Attar boged of Beitar

I prefer Berkovic....get some Romanian's back in the NT

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old December 16th, 2009, 16:02
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Berkovic was for me the best Israeli player. And his main quality was game vision and knowledge and if applied to coaching he would be a great one. But it would be a bet in the dark, he hasn´t coached at professional level and it would be risky IMO.

Atar has shown he is a very good coach and with a bit more experience and in a few years he will become a leading coach in Israel IMO. What he did to Netanya in his previous campaign and now the way he them once again from the mud with the same players as the former coach Nati Azaria, is fantastic. He also had a good spell with Beitar, don´t know why they let him go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in