Israel opponents in the WC qualifier. - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2008, 23:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Israel opponents in the WC qualifier.

Well, our first games in the qualifiers will be in approximately in three months time and our two main opponents to qualify for the WC in South Africa have lost their both games and were the only teams left out of the competition with two rounds played.

The Swiss showed some good moments, but nothing special. They lost their main striker Alexander Frei in the first half of the first game and this really had some blow on their offensive part. Their defense which is their main point didn´t look so solid the same way their keeper Benaglio. Hakan Yakin is a good player in midfield and creates some danger, including a goal against Turkey.
IMO i thought Derdiyok entered very well in the Swiss team and could also be a problem for the Israeli defense in the qualifiers if Frei can´t recover in time for the clash in September.
We have a more talented and technical side than Switzerland and certainly they will play a rough game just like they did with Turkey. When the game was on normal condidtions the Turks were better using their speed and technique, but when the rain began the Swiss mor used to that climate and to a physicall game dominated the game. Israel would be more or less on the Turkish style and let´s cheer for no rain in our match.

Regarding the Greeks, they were really far away from the dangerous team that shocked Europe four years ago. Even with most of the players knowing eachother they seemed to depend a lot on the old British style of crosses in the box to Charisteas and Amanatidis. They have good players, but it seemed they weren´t well positioned. Also a very physical team that Israel will have to watch the set-to-pieces. Their defense is their best point. Individually Greece has a more technical team than Switzerland. But from what they showed in this Euro, Israel has conditions to surprise and to win especially playing in Tel Aviv.

I still consider the Greek game the most tough, our battle will still be with the Swiss, but in a long time we don´t have a chance like this to qualify for the WC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2008, 18:58 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Just for the record, Greece ended the competition losing all of its matches. Otto Rehagel continues as the head coach and this has a positive point for Israel: if he will be able to motivate his players again. I believe it was time for a new coach in Greece, but apparently they will keep him over there since he knows the group, but i don´t see a renewal on their team.

Switzerland only beat Portugal´s reserves in a game which was coach Kobi Kuhn´s last in charge of their NT. They had some good moments in the competition, but failed to impress.
Experienced German coach Ottmar Hitzfeld is the new coach of Switzerland.
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2008, 19:16
Rising Star

Teams: Liverpool
I agree with Berko. Greece and Swiss arent as tough as people think they are, especially after seeing them in the Euro's.
It wont be easy, they are going to be competitive matches, and looking at the past results of all teams over the past couple years, Israel has been the better team.

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 23:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

We have a golden chance here and we have reasons to be. Not that Greece and Switzerland are weak, but from the other possible opponents we could have got and they form we were playing with a good generation coming up, it is very possible to surprise.
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 23:51
Premier Player

Teams: Maccabi Tel Aviv
i think this is the best chance we'll have to make it to the WC in a long time, if we dont qualify from this group them i honestly belive we shouldn't go to the WC at all...
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2008, 21:11
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
I honestly think that Switzerland and Greece arent really a threat. At the same time they really didnt feel like playing. It seemed that some really great teams sucked this Euro. Croatia's first game was pathetic. But then again Germany who was a promise should have done better....

Italy didnt prove alot too nor did France.
The power of Russia was also strong and they did what Israel could do.

None the less, Otto Renghal might be a legend in Greece and a corrupted (sorry to say and no offense to the Greeks) will keep him cause he brought them something no one else will.
The question is: does a foreign coach understand the leauge? the player abroad? the Youth?

I have doubts in that for Greece.
Anywho. I wish we played Greece first.
Tired, depleted and really out of shape.....easy win...but we have to play them back to back

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old July 27th, 2008, 06:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Well we will have a problem since our league stil starts in August and the Toto Cup matches had their start postponed, while the Swiss have already begun their league, they are in the third round if i am not mistaken.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old July 27th, 2008, 14:45
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
Well we will have a problem since our league stil starts in August and the Toto Cup matches had their start postponed, while the Swiss have already begun their league, they are in the third round if i am not mistaken.
This calls for some friendly games.

Unfortunately the only game we have is Finland? no? Anymore?

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2008, 23:56 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Besides Israel 2-2 Switzerland, Group 2 had other two matches. Moldova lost at home against Latvia 2-1, while Greece beat Luxembourg 3-0 away.

Next round to be played Wednesday.

Moldova - Israel
Switzerland - Luxembourg
Latvia - Greece

The Greeks will have a hard time away, let's see how this Latvian team will play. They could take points from the top 3 candidates.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2008, 01:00
Legend

Indeed...

Im not looking at the bad side of the Swiss tie that we had.
Latvia can also suprise and also we may tie or beat Greece and Greece may give a hard time to Switzerland.... I can definately see Switzerland choking sometime.

Needless to say, we did what we are famous to do - and that is tie...

When you had Ben Shushan and Buzaglo ready to unleash to venom against a young Swiss team, i dont understand why you had to keep them in the cage like Kashtan did

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2008, 23:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Just for the record, like mentioned in another thread Luxembourg surprisingly beat Switzerland 2-1 away!!

Greece beat Latvia in Riga 2-0. Expected result.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2008, 03:19
Legend

With the exception of game 1 and 2 which are points, but fack ups. I would say that Israel has a good chance to advance.

I feel that the last 2 games were a result of players not being fit and the timing of it all. The season didnt start yet and it didnt start for many of our group nations as well. So we are all not playing tactical and up to speed.

I hope Kashtan takes these 2 games with his present from Luxemborg as nothing more but 4 points and some friendlies to learn about and re-organizes the squad for October and beyond so we can play our fullest, especially in April/May vs. Greece. Thats the make or break for us now!

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old October 6th, 2008, 00:52
Legend

Teams: FTC, Hungary
so did you guys hear about the upcoming friendly between Isreal and Hungary on the 11th of February ?! I'm really waiting for this game it should be good ) what are your thoughts ?!

Én soha nem felejtem,
Magyarnak születtem!

Itt élek Európa szívében, vízilabdában mi vagyunk a császárok és igenis nálunk élnek a világ legszebb női. Magyarország, én így szeretlek!

Tehetségben nincs hiány, hiszem hogy jó lesz még a magyar foci!

RIA,RIA, HungáRIA!!!
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old October 6th, 2008, 11:40
International

Is it going to be in Budapest or Tel Aviv?

in theory Israel should win it, as the last years they are a level above Hungary (without any disrespect) but if it is away in Budapest it may be tough. It will be a good game to experiment a bit, as the opposition is decent without being unmanagable.

If it is in Budapest I may come to support Israel, it is not that far from my home city (I think about 8 or 9 hours bus maximum??)
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old October 6th, 2008, 22:27
Rising Star

Teams: M. Tel-Aviv, Israel NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedpleasures View Post
Is it going to be in Budapest or Tel Aviv?
It will be in Tel-Aviv. We have another friendly on November 19th against Cote d'Ivoire, which will also be at Ramat Gan. Here's the source(Last Paragraph)

It's about time we had a non-European opponent...
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2008, 18:47
Rising Star

we had also a game against chile this year !
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2008, 19:17
International

Usually non-European is only good when it is a quality team though, not just any random Asian or African team... Ivory Coast is good though and this is a game where the team will have the chande to learn something, so definitely a good choice for a friendly if Ivory Coast comes at more or less full strength.

Too bad the game is not in Budapest, otherwise it would have been a close trip for me to support Israel there.
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2008, 15:11
Rising Star

Teams: ISRAEL NT & Maccabi Haifa & Beitar Jerusalem!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik1983 View Post
we had also a game against chile this year !
Where? and what was the score?

Israel #1
post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2008, 04:00
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyarGyerek View Post
so did you guys hear about the upcoming friendly between Isreal and Hungary on the 11th of February ?! I'm really waiting for this game it should be good ) what are your thoughts ?!

Should be intresting....

Hungary is a tough match and i hope we will be up for the challenge...

I was in Budapest and Balaton lake this year...nice place...
anyone wanna see photos?

MagyarGyerek...
any Hungarian Joints in the GTA showing the game you know?

I know only one Hungarian resturant, but i dont think there is TV and they keep kosher... 100%

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2008, 09:03
Rookie

cote d'ivoire will be a great match, its a tough opponent that plays fast attractive football. A game against hungary would be nice, a game in budapest would be even better, would give me an excuse to go to budapest and support Israel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in