Wrap up and Reaction: Euro 2008Q - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2007, 19:24 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
Wrap up and Reaction: Euro 2008Q

I promised to make a thread to talk about the wrap up, reaction, comments and most importantly, the issues that surrounded Israel's campaign in Euro 2008.

I wanted to get some things acrossed and possibly see what you guys think.

First and foremost...

Lets make it clear. We didnt make it. Another upsetting run for Israel ended up being a loss for us.

Kashtan who was brought in, promised a better team that was strong and competitive, that didnt focus on defence or achieving a tie game, but rather wining and someone who can make it to a tournament.
In the end, we were beaten horribly and saw our defence crumble more than a few times....

But with the misery of losing at home 3-4 to Croatia, and away to Croatia 1-0 and England 3-0... we were still determined and we won Russia, when people expected us to lose. We proved that even with not having a chance, we still wanted to prove our worth.

The feeling of Saturday's game vs. Russia was close to the game vs. France in 1993; There was no point, but to make our names heard.

We were awarded with thank you and kisses from England and a salute from Croatia, but in the end, we have nothing to do and be in this summers Euro finals....

But the last 2 games, we made a winning stride and that im proud of. The Russian game, we went out with 3 points and the Macedonian game with another 3 points.

We finish the tournament with a Happy face since we have something to look for in WC 2010 Qualifiers. We may have a good chance to do well on it.

Our team is finally young and refreshed. No more of veterans holding a strong key in our team. No more of this Berkovic-Nimny-Keisi duo who are slow but know how to play and get capped for our team.
Our team's age is 22.6 on average and they are young and eager.
Our success in making the U21 Finals in holland proved that we have alot to look for in our youth. And our U19 and U17 are potentials as well....

So as we end our campaign and go home with 23 pts from the tournament, tied with England right now, pending their game to Croatia.. and also Russia which will pass by us........
We lost on points.....

Maybe we shouldnt have lost to England..i dont know..maybe we should have kept a tie game in Croatia...i dont know...
but all this is gone. Now on, we go for better results and hopefully a better team

Kappa,

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!

Last edited by Kappa21; November 21st, 2007 at 19:39.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2007, 22:56
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Well, most of us feel dissapointed with the campaign,since we once again failed to qualify, but honestly excluding the disastrous performance at Wembley i believe Israel had a good campaign. It wasn´t such an attractive football, but we had good moments. Younger players were tested and we saw that we could have a good future ahead of us.

We had a very tough group,Croatia, currently one of the best NT´s in the world today, England, the traditional team, Russia always tough and with Guss Hiddink in command, plus a tough Macedonian side. We ended one point behind Russia, they qualified, but we managed to to win 4 points out of six against them. Same campaign as England initially group favourites. So it was positive the campaign IMO and on Sunday we will have the draw for the WC qualifiers we are in pot 3 now and depending on draw we could have serious chances in advancing.

Best players in the campaign IMO:

Barak Itzhaki and Gal Alberman. Dudu Awat and Yoav Ziv were very consistent and deserve also some credits.

Elyaniv Barda impressed in the final matches and day after day he improves his form, this is good since we have a lot of offensive options in that way. Collauti proved to be a vital goalscorer when needed and in 8 games with Israel scored 6 goals.

Good surprises:
Tamir Cohen and Dekel Keinan

Together with Alberman could make a good defensive midfielder duo in the NT, giving more tranquility for Kashtan to field an offensive quartet as he did against Russia and Macedonia. Keinan showed safe play in the last two matches and is firm to be the substitute of the veteran defenders we were fielding.

Hope:
Maor Buzaglo made had his first two caps for the NT. We should go easy on him and not pressure the same performances from Sahknin at once. Certainly he will gain space in the team. The same goes to Ben Sahar and Toto Tamuz, even though i believe Tamuz was a bit under his potential.

Time to go:
This campaign also proved to be the last one for some players and to end a generation. Players like Walid Badir, Arik Benado Yaniv Katan, are certainly players that have past their time in the NT. In the case of Benado there are many defensive option and who knows he could return in some call ups, but giving chance and confidence to younger defenders is the best thing to do now.

Veteran players that could still give something:
Shimon Guershon and Idan Tal. IMO these player have their substitutes ans i posted before Alberman and Cohen make a good defensive midfield system, but Idan Tal may still contribute with the team. GUershon the same way.

Players that could figure in next call ups, but IMO shouldn´t be there:
Pini Balili, Ravid Gazal, Omer Golan. Yes i know many will criticize me for taking Golan out, but honestly guys he scored a very important goal against Russia, but usually does he make some impact? I don´t think so. And he shouldn´t be there with so much talent coming up. Balili the same way. He should compete for the 100 meters race he could still win it. Ravid Gazal is not in the NT level.

Captain and leader:
And of course, we will be guided by Yossi Benayoun our maestro. Hope that he could improve his displays in the NT.Under Grant he played better and had more free role, under Kashtan he still has yet made some convincing matches, but still in one play he could decide a match. We will need Benayoun in the next campaign more than ever.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:09 Thread Starter
Legend

I was kinda hard to say if we failed....

We did lose to Croatia both games. Fine. They are one of the best teams in the world. We needed to do something more constructive.

England was bad and i think we should have won in Russia.
If we won hear and tied there, i think we would have made it threw...

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 02:42
Premier Player

When you look at it the standings we could have done better, but considering who we played against we still get 23 points in this group and don't qualify I think we did a pretty good job. Considering the fact that we played a lot of our games with out Benayoun, I think it shows how far we have come as a team.

The important games, Croatia at Home, England Away, Russia Away.

At home probably the biggest blunder of the campaign, we went up one ahead of Croatia but then we wound up blowing it to the Croatians and, Eduardo had a monster game. Colautti and Benayoun both played really well in this game. The defense played like shyte and Tomer Ben-Yosef will never be called up again.

At Wembley, Probably the worst lineup Kashtan could ever come up with, too defensive and too slow, Katan? and Benado? Ziv played really well in this game, not many positive things happened in this game, I hope Kashtan learned a lesson not to play so defensive.

At Russia, I didnt get to watch this game but apparently we didnt play that well, so I guess getting the draw was lucky Oh well at least we beat them at home:undecide: .

I think we have a lot of quality especially offensively, but, we are way too inconsistent, the qualifiers have been good experience for our young players and hopefully they will play with more confidence on the road to South Africa. Our passing has been crap at times and possession has been often too lopsided against us. If we can improve that we definitely have a chance to qualify.

Player of the Campaign: Colautti, was our leading goal scorer.

Biggest Dissapointment: Toto Tamuz, I thought him and Colautti would be a great pairing but unfortunately I was wrong. Tamuz doesnt even start for Beitar anymore.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 03:46 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbozo21
When you look at it the standings we could have done better, but considering who we played against we still get 23 points in this group and don't qualify I think we did a pretty good job. Considering the fact that we played a lot of our games with out Benayoun, I think it shows how far we have come as a team.
We cant always rely on who wer are playing. Its off the question mark. We gotta focus on our game and no matter who we have. We have to expect the worse. Infact, im already thinking we are gonna get the group of death for WC 2010Q. Its a feeling, but thats what im going to say...

We cant rely on the luck of the draw. We always have to be prepared..
the days when we have 1 strong team we can have a tie and then 1 team our weight is no more....
We will have 1 our weight (e.g Russia or Switzerland) and then 2 who are better than us... we have to be prepared!!

Quote:
At home probably the biggest blunder of the campaign, we went up one ahead of Croatia but then we wound up blowing it to the Croatians and, Eduardo had a monster game. Colautti and Benayoun both played really well in this game. The defense played like shyte and Tomer Ben-Yosef will never be called up again.
I think we needed to have tied Croatia at home. But it was an insane game. No other team in the tournament got 3 goals off of Croatia and we did!! And they didnt take us seriously..not one of their fans!

We also played sloppy against England. England seemed to be better than Israel in both games and i think that one hurt the most!

Quote:
Player of the Campaign: Colautti, was our leading goal scorer.

Biggest Dissapointment: Toto Tamuz, I thought him and Colautti would be a great pairing but unfortunately I was wrong. Tamuz doesnt even start for Beitar anymore.
Caollouti was also a bad player in some cases. He missed vital games! I felt betrayed in a way! We needed him.
And im kinda worried that he is an ace in Israel NT and he doesnt do squat in Germany. Its worrying me.... I dont want to be a bosnia NT #2. They got players abroad, benched and then they play in the NT. There not 100% capacity.

I was also upset with Ben Shahar. He went from being a google stock to being a peanut stock. He doesnt even get called up in QPR and he simply desserted his talent, which is bother me a little, cause he was the next big thing to come from Israel...

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 23:03
Rising Star

colautti didn't play in germany because he was injured and not 100% fit.

believe me if he is 100% fit he will be the best player in his team there and IMO he is the most important striker for israel.

in this campaign dudu aouate was also very important , without him we would lose much more games.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2007, 00:22
Forum Manager
Legend

Definitely Collauti 100% fit will be great for us. Awat showed safe hands and was important, but i believe we should give some honours to Barak Itzhaki what a great campaign he had!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:19 Thread Starter
Legend

BARAK ITZHAKI!!! THIS MAN NEEDS EUROPE!!

PINI ZEHAVI!! WHERE ARE YOU ON LINE 2?!?!?!?

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:20
Rising Star

I wasn't that impressed with Itzchaki especially in the last game, I think Israel have bright future though. I really like the Alberman/Tamir Cohen combination in the centre midfield. I would have liked to see Tuama more involved as well. I think Meshumar is the best right-back for Israel as well.

It's a real shame we couldn't pick up the one extra point that would have got us into Euro 2008! Anyways I think we have a great chance to qualify for 2010 World Cup! EL EL YISRAEL
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:36 Thread Starter
Legend

Eli, your hating!
GO BACK TO Bigsoccer

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:45
Star Player

Teams: CROATIAN NT, NK Zadar, Real Madrid CF
I applaud Israels qualifying campaign for euro 2008.

YOU were the team that deserved to go to Euros along with us , not Russia or England.

best of luck in the future

"When you have to shoot, shoot ..dont talk." -Tuco

formerly known as croguy
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2007, 04:18 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by croguy
I applaud Israels qualifying campaign for euro 2008.

YOU were the team that deserved to go to Euros along with us , not Russia or England.

best of luck in the future
Thank you
Best of luck to Hrvastka!
I seriously, with all my gut feel that Croatia will not only make it far, but may take it 'all in the summer. They are just a genuine team that is determined...a team that lost 1 game in 17 games, which is there last lost was in the WC, is significant!

Russia will fold easily. They will be the team that will lose 5-0 for no reason....

Good luck again and i hope to use my Croatian flag on my car in summer 2008

Overall, as an outsider from Israeli football....
what were you impressed of from Israel? What do you think we need to improve?

Were u suprised that we managed to score 3 goals against you in Tel Aviv? Keep you on the port in Zagreb 1-0.. what was ur reaction to this?

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2007, 13:12
Rising Star

Teams: Liverpool
aside from the game in Wembley, we were in every game.

By far, the best game of the campaign was the 4-3 loss to Croatia. The fact we put 3 goals against arguably the best team in Europe is an achievement in itself.

Players of the campaign:
Itzhaki
Ziv
Awat
Cohen
Colautti

Players that should never EVER play for the NT EVER again:
Badir
Benado
Katan
Zandberg
Balilli
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2007, 15:28 Thread Starter
Legend

Tamir Cohen only used his aggression to get anywhere. His dad's name will be the factor that gets him to Europe. Will he do good? We'll see...

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 13:58
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21
Tamir Cohen only used his aggression to get anywhere. His dad's name will be the factor that gets him to Europe. Will he do good? We'll see...
We needed a player like him in our midfield who would give combat and some fighting spirit. He makes a good pair with Alberman in defensive midfield. He is rumoured to move to Leicester.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 20:44 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko
We needed a player like him in our midfield who would give combat and some fighting spirit. He makes a good pair with Alberman in defensive midfield. He is rumoured to move to Leicester.

That sounds good. I cant wait to see him in England

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2007, 13:10
Star Player

Teams: CROATIAN NT, NK Zadar, Real Madrid CF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21
Thank you
Best of luck to Hrvastka!
I seriously, with all my gut feel that Croatia will not only make it far, but may take it 'all in the summer. They are just a genuine team that is determined...a team that lost 1 game in 17 games, which is there last lost was in the WC, is significant!

Russia will fold easily. They will be the team that will lose 5-0 for no reason....

Good luck again and i hope to use my Croatian flag on my car in summer 2008

Overall, as an outsider from Israeli football....
what were you impressed of from Israel? What do you think we need to improve?

Were u suprised that we managed to score 3 goals against you in Tel Aviv? Keep you on the port in Zagreb 1-0.. what was ur reaction to this?
Sorry for the late reply.

I was impressed with Israels motivation and determination in this campaign. The played with heart and genuine technical ability. I was also impressed with the fan support!

And I was not surpirsed at all with the 3 goals in Tel Aviv. Albeit, one was a defensive error. This match for me was the crucial game of the campaign.

I see you have a very "doable" grop for the WC. I think that Israel will get at LEAST in the top two here.

Good luck

"When you have to shoot, shoot ..dont talk." -Tuco

formerly known as croguy
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2007, 23:56
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by croguy
Sorry for the late reply.

I was impressed with Israels motivation and determination in this campaign. The played with heart and genuine technical ability. I was also impressed with the fan support!

And I was not surpirsed at all with the 3 goals in Tel Aviv. Albeit, one was a defensive error. This match for me was the crucial game of the campaign.

I see you have a very "doable" grop for the WC. I think that Israel will get at LEAST in the top two here.

Good luck

Thank you very much

Yes, definitely the game in Tel Aviv where we lost to you guys was crucial in the campaign for us. We missed it for one point and if we at least drew we would be in because we would tie Russia, but with a better head-to-head record.
Anyways in general we really did like our campaign, we finished in a good manner and this led us to pot 2 for the WC qualifiers which gave us some hope that after som many years we could return to a WC. We have the talent, we just need to work a bit harder and also a bit of luck:smileani:

Good Luck to Croatia in the Euro, i´m really impressed with your quality and i believe you guys could surprise an dtake the cup. I stilll can´t believe in the last WC you didn´t go through the group.
Anyeays good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in