The next campaign - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Should the IFA renew Kashtan´s contract?
Yes 2 40.00%
No 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 03:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
The next campaign

We still have two games left on our euro qualifyer, but after the result in Zagreb we are definitely out. We have Russia and Macedonia at home, two games that were meant to be intresting, but it should be already tests for the next campaign.
Dror kashtan hasn´t received a new contract yet, should he remain? If not who should replace him?
Intresting to discuss why we never go through to some major tournament since 1970? What is missing for us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 03:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

oops, closed the thread by mistake.

Thread is open:smileani:
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 04:20
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
According to what i finished now...... Avi Luzon offered Kashtan a new contract....soooooooooo i guess he will accept it...

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 14:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21
According to what i finished now...... Avi Luzon offered Kashtan a new contract....soooooooooo i guess he will accept it...
I think they are still discussing it. Luzon said they would talk about it after these crucial games. Anyways if you think he already did, do you agree with it?:smileani:
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 14:42 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

I voted for yes. Despite not liking the way we finished the campaign i think Kashtan deserves another chance. We don´t other available option at the moment, unless we get a foreign coach.
We have the talent, we have fighting spirit, we just lack the correct tactical discipline and way to prepare for the big matches.

Watch Croatia, they have a smaller population than Israel, but they always manage to be at the top, they renew players and the team continues strong. They know how to get ready for these moments. We should do the same.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 14:54
JD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko
I voted for yes. Despite not liking the way we finished the campaign i think Kashtan deserves another chance. We don´t other available option at the moment, unless we get a foreign coach.
well grant will probably be available in the next few weeks....p
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 15:01
JD
Legend

Kashtan given a second chance

Despite failing to lead Israel anywhere near Euro 2008 qualification, coach Dror Kashtan's contract will be extended and he will continue to guide the team in the next two years.

Less than 24 hours after suffering another disappointing defeat and losing any chance of qualifying for Euro 2008, Israel Football Association chairman Avi Luzon said on Sunday that Kashtan will guide the national team in its 2010 World Cup qualification campaign.

"Kashtan will continue to guide the team and that's final," Luzon said. "We were in a tough group. England and Croatia are much better sides than us. I'm pleased with the play of the youngsters. Israeli soccer has a future despite what its critics have been saying."

Israel was extremely disappointing in its last two qualifiers, losing 3-0 to England at Wembley and falling to a 1-0 defeat to Croatia on Saturday night.

The team is currently fourth in Group E with 17 points and faces Russia and Macedonia at the National Stadium in Ramat Gan in its final two qualifiers on November 17 and 21 respectively, with nothing to play for.

The blue-and-white faces Belarus at Ramat Gan in a friendly match on Wednesday to which entrance will be free of charge.

Israel captain Yossi Benayoun will not take any part in Wednesday's match after Kashtan approved Liverpool's request to allow the player to return to Merseyside immediately after the Croatia match.

"I asked to be released from the squad so that I can return to my club," Benayoun confirmed. "Our campaign is over, but I will continue to play for the national team whenever called upon."

One of the main talking points after Saturday's match was the clash between Benayoun and Tal Ben-Haim in the 78th minute.

Israel was awarded a free kick on the edge of the Croatia penalty area and Ben-Haim raced from defense demanding to take the shot.

Benayoun decided that substitute and debutant Moshe Ohayon would take the set-piece, angering the already fuming Ben-Haim.

"There are moments in a match when players lose control and get annoyed. I spoke to Ben-Haim and settled the matter," Benayoun said.

Luzon added: "I have no doubt that the coach will address this problem."

Besides Ohayon three more players made their debut on Saturday, with Maccabi Netanya's Tamir Cohen making the biggest impression.

"The result is disappointing, they didn't reach any real scoring opportunity," Cohen said on Sunday. "Our qualification story is over. We'll be watching Euro 2008 on television."

Reflecting on his performance, the midfielder added: "I had a decent match, but I must continue to work on my game. I need to prove that I deserve to be on the national team. We face Belarus on Wednesday and we hope to play a good match ahead of the game against Russia."

Maccabi Haifa defender Eyal Meshumar also made his debut against Croatia and like Cohen could well be starting for the side in the near future thanks to his solid performance.

"I felt excellent, but it's a shame we couldn't claim a point because we were on par with Croatia," Meshumar said. "They barely reached any scoring opportunities.

"I hope we play better in the future. We have good players and a united team. All that's left for us now is to play for our honor."
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 16:57
Star Player

Teams: Man City, Liverpool, Maccabi Haifa, Brighton, Portland
what happened in the free kick that Moshe Ohayon took?

Class is permanent.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 17:18
Rising Star

Teams: Liverpool
correct me if im wrong but I think it hit the wall.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2007, 23:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Sad episode the one between Benayoun and Ben Haim, his position in a big club such as Chelsea and his personality make him want to lead the team which is placed to Benayoun. And in situations like this Yossi had a clear last word over Tal and this certainly made him mad.
Kashtan talked to both of them and the deal is settled, but incidents like this one could not repeat themselves.

Kashtan will receive a seconde chance, hope this time we have a better performance. Assistant coach Moshe Sinai said that for the next campaign the team will be younger. More fights with Guy Levi ahead?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2007, 01:24
Legend

Quote:
Watch Croatia, they have a smaller population than Israel, but they always manage to be at the top, they renew players and the team continues strong. They know how to get ready for these moments. We should do the same.

Croatia can have 20,000 people for all i care..they will still be as good as they are....

you wanna know why? Its because they have the metnality to be. They are a soccer nation regardless.....
Their leauge is nothing to look at, but it fights...and players who play in the Croatian National Team know that by proving themselves to Croatia, which is an honor in some cases, in Croatia, that they can do big things for the country + improve their chances to play in Europe.

For an Israeli player, name any, who is say...27 years old, has no chance whatsoever about getting in Europe, is considered a "star" in Israel. Than whats the point about the NT.

And talk about pride... our players run away from it. Colutti and Ben Shahar who we needed....

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2007, 01:27
Legend

Well looks like we will see Kashtan until 2010.
I think there is room and im always open to forgiveness....or in this case, a possible upset.
Im not worried, nor am i cautious. But this cannot fail this time. We got so many young good players who can do really good. Grants tenture was mixed between the old players and the new ones, including Benayoun and now Benayoun leads and must get more options to play. We cannot have a mediocre team. the Barda-Balili duo was not good and we needed something to be impressed on....

Im gonna say that our failure was injury, but we cannot hide it and we cannot say that its these tough groups that we cannot manage to pull threw. We can do it this time and do it well...

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2007, 04:26
Rising Star

I agree somewhat with Kappa's words.

The training in the Israeli league is laughable, I dont think they take it as seriously as they should, and the ones that did are reaping the benefits playing in Europe.
They need to fix the level of training in Israel before their is a real chance at qualifying.

Im VERY VERY VERY disappointed with Kashtans contract renewal. He is NOT the man for the job, nor is any other Israeli coach out there including Grant.

Every 2 years, we all sit back and wonder why Israel cant get over that proverbial "hump" in qualifying. Its so frustrating to watch the team you love get oh so close every time, yet consequently fail.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2007, 11:59
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior
Im VERY VERY VERY disappointed with Kashtans contract renewal. He is NOT the man for the job, nor is any other Israeli coach out there including Grant.
The problem is, when you have a foreign coach, say Mr. Neilsen, than you have a person who comes to Israel with a ton of experience, but lacks any knowledge of the language and the right information for the players. Neilsen or even Mourinho for all i care can coach us. The question is, do they actually know whos who? Cause if they dont, the IFA will hire them someone and will be biase.

Quote:
Every 2 years, we all sit back and wonder why Israel cant get over that proverbial "hump" in qualifying. Its so frustrating to watch the team you love get oh so close every time, yet consequently fail.
The problem with Kashtan, Grant or even Neilsen for all i care is that they have too much bias for players.

Kashtan clearly put Barda cause he has faith in him from the Hapoel days. I can give you 3 players who were fit that could have done better. And Balili? So what if he is doing good in Turkey..he can be a star tommorow in Azerbijian for all i care..the guy was picked because he is Hapoel. Grant did the same with M. Haifa and so forth.....
Remember, that Neilsen thought the best team in Israel was M. Tel Aviv and at one point we had a ton load of M. Tel Aviv players...
whats next? H. Tel Aviv phenomena next?

If it isnt Grant or Kashtan, it will probably be Shum to coach the NT...or handle 2 positions in 1.... i respect shum but not with 2 jobs

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2007, 15:49
Rising Star

The only Israeli coach I would actually consider would be Shum. Hes the only one that actually played on the world cup squad, although it was back in 1970, but still it was the world cup.

I agree that it would take time for the coach to get accustomed to our players, but thats his job, he needs to do his homework.

Just look at Hiddink with Russia and before that Australia, and even before that Japan (or Korea was it, i dont remember). A good coach can come into any team, whether its foreign to him or not

Im all for Bruce Arena though!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2007, 19:28
Legend

Quote:
The only Israeli coach I would actually consider would be Shum. Hes the only one that actually played on the world cup squad, although it was back in 1970, but still it was the world cup.

I agree that it would take time for the coach to get accustomed to our players, but thats his job, he needs to do his homework.

Just look at Hiddink with Russia and before that Australia, and even before that Japan (or Korea was it, i dont remember). A good coach can come into any team, whether its foreign to him or not

Im all for Bruce Arena though!

I agree. One thing i dont like is a person who comes in and puts players because he sees t hem legit for the team on what they write in the media...

The media blokes and Neilsen was a good coach, but he doesnt know anything about our leauge and potential players.......
He focused on the Revivo-Berkovic duo leading the team. But Being foreign mean anything? Surely, there was great players in our leauge...Ruven Oved...ummmmmm Ben Haim (while in M.Tel Aviv) and ofcourse Benayoun. He didnt give them a chance....but he did have a good routine..

Grant had a good routine as well.... He kept charge of the team and made them train hard. Made the NT and important thing and rewarded.

Maybe we should reward our players too if they clinch a birth in the WC.

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2007, 23:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

I agree with what Lior and Kappa said in many points. I voted yes, for Kashtan to renew his contract because i don´t see anyone available at the moment to take the job and IMO the solution is not changing the coach, but as stated before the mentality, a word we have been posted with some frequency here.
From the Israeli coaches, Shum would probably be the best one for the job, he was assistant manager of Sharf during a long period and has a good experience with the NT. His teams normally have an offensive football and he was the only one to have success abroad. But we can´t judge before he really gets the job because we had a lot of expectations regarding Kashtan since he was the most prized coach in Israel, but as we see failed to implement a good phylosophy for our NT.
Regarding Grant, i believe he would be good for our NT ( i know many would bash me here, especially Yarok ole) but i believe that despite his politics, he has a good tactical knowledge of the game and the most important, he knows our limitation compared to the bigger NT´s. He had some criteria for his squads, while Kashtan not. How can you explain Katan in his current form starting against England and he wasn´t called in other games? Grant picked the right players for the formation he used and our star Benayoun as we talked in another thread could produce more for us.
Now another problem we have is the coaches union. They make it difficult for foreign coaches to come to the country, remember Caanen and Fernandez? When Nielsen was in charge he tried his best and he was a very nice character, it was a pleasure to have him as a coach of the NT. Many say he failed, but if it wasn´t for silly foul in injury time, our many missed chances, especially a Ben Dayan shot on the bar we could have beaten Austria and advanced to the playoffs and consequently for the WC. He had the right layers for the time, it is true he was a foreigner and didn´t knew many players, but if i´m not mistaken his assistant was Israeli. Plus we didn´t have so many talented youth players as we have now. On that time Benayoun was beggining his career, Ben Dayan was on his high point at Maccabi Tel Aviv nd was young and of course you wouldn´t leave out players like Berkovic, Nimni and Revivo who were at their prime.
The best solution for us at this moment would be a foreign coach, who would change our mentality and teach some more for our players about tactical discipline and commitment to practice and physical issues. We have plenty of talent, but we don´t know how to use it. Maybe a foreign coach would know how to do so.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2007, 03:42
Rising Star

Quote:
but if it wasn´t for silly foul in injury time
Please dont bring back that dreaded moment against Austria!!! I couldnt function for the next 2 weeks after that happened!

Other than that, excellent points and post Berko
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2007, 05:28
Legend

You can always bring Sharf Back...
the last 7 years, Sharf was a loud mouth...

now lets put him to the test

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2007, 19:35 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Please dont bring back that dreaded moment against Austria!!! I couldnt function for the next 2 weeks after that happened!

Other than that, excellent points and post Berko

Thank you for the words

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in