Is Nikola Tesla the greatest and/or smartest engineer of all time? - Xtratime Community
 32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2019, 17:40 Thread Starter
International
 
Shpati's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2012
Location: United States
Teams: Albania
Posts: 7,014
Is Nikola Tesla the greatest and/or smartest engineer of all time?

I feel modern day scientists are jealous of Tesla.

Somebody like Neil Tyson (I refuse to say his middle name) doesn't talk highly of him and seem jealous of the "internet craze" over Tesla. On a side note, that Tyson guy is an ahole. Who needs to be address by their first, middle, and last time?

I think Tesla was the smartest in his field, but maybe not the greatest. He was quite mysterious and kept lot of stuff in his brain. Maybe he could have been the greatest if he released all his (of maybe just more) works.

Maybe that's why these guys are jealous? Because they couldn't take credit for something somebody else has started?

Also, do you think Tesla is some kind of internet hero for hipsters like Neil thinks?
Shpati is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2019, 18:08
Forum Manager
Legend
 
pele10brazil's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2010
Teams: Romania,Real Madrid,Universitatea Craiova
Posts: 12,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpati View Post
I feel modern day scientists are jealous of Tesla.

Somebody like Neil Tyson (I refuse to say his middle name) doesn't talk highly of him and seem jealous of the "internet craze" over Tesla. On a side note, that Tyson guy is an ahole. Who needs to be address by their first, middle, and last time?

I think Tesla was the smartest in his field, but maybe not the greatest. He was quite mysterious and kept lot of stuff in his brain. Maybe he could have been the greatest if he released all his (of maybe just more) works.

Maybe that's why these guys are jealous? Because they couldn't take credit for something somebody else has started?

Also, do you think Tesla is some kind of internet hero for hipsters like Neil thinks?
It's got to that point a bit, more to the detriment of Edison than to overrating Tesla. And I agree Tyson is douche who likes to smell his own farts, but at least what he does is very beneficial.

At any rate, it's hard to say Tesla is the smartest engineer of all time because that's a very loose term. You can get guys like Archimedes or Da Vinci included.

And it's also hard to define smart. If Tesla wouldn't have been screwed over, he could have well been one of the greatest/most influential inventors/engineers in history. But if you pair him with truly the most potent intellects out there (egg John von Neumann, Albert Einstein etc.) does he really hold up? It's a bit like saying Darwin was one of the most intelligent human beings of all time. He was certainly one of the most original and influential, but he doesn't belong in the same class as Newton or Archimedes as far as sheer intelligence goes imo.

It's a though and interesting subject I for one rate Tesla as one of the coolest guys of modern era. Quintessential mad scientist/misunderstood genius and it's only fitting that he never reached his potential given his EE blood
szövkap and Shpati like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
Athletic ability to spare, genius level mathematicians, invented the internet, invented russian language, incredibly attractive people, master carpenters, cultural richness to rival any country, musical artistry unsurpassed in Europe....

I'm not kidding here, and I've said it before, if you look deep down in your soul you'll realize that Romanians are master race.
pele10brazil is offline  
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2019, 18:58
Premier Player
 
kırmızımavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2005
Posts: 1,915
people still think Einstein was all that? really?
kırmızımavi is offline  
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2019, 19:29 Thread Starter
International
 
Shpati's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2012
Location: United States
Teams: Albania
Posts: 7,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kırmızımavi View Post
people still think Einstein was all that? really?
In the US, yes.

They drill Einstein and Edison into our brains as child
Shpati is offline  
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2019, 20:39
Forum Manager
Legend
 
pele10brazil's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2010
Teams: Romania,Real Madrid,Universitatea Craiova
Posts: 12,450
What am I missing? Many of today's famous physicists still rate him as one of the most brilliant minds ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
Athletic ability to spare, genius level mathematicians, invented the internet, invented russian language, incredibly attractive people, master carpenters, cultural richness to rival any country, musical artistry unsurpassed in Europe....

I'm not kidding here, and I've said it before, if you look deep down in your soul you'll realize that Romanians are master race.
pele10brazil is offline  
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2019, 20:48
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 08 2017
Posts: 447
Tesla was a genius very simple. Greatest or not up for debate.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2019, 22:00
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend
 
Andy Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Teams: Estonia
Posts: 47,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by pele10brazil View Post
What am I missing? Many of today's famous physicists still rate him as one of the most brilliant minds ever.
Too Jewish.

If his name was Slavoljub Tušilović then we wouldn't hear the end of it.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Andy Christ is offline  
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2019, 18:21 Thread Starter
International
 
Shpati's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2012
Location: United States
Teams: Albania
Posts: 7,014
Elon Musk Confirms Tesla To Open Stores In Slovakia, Croatia, Serbia Next Year

https://www.ibtimes.com/elon-musk-co...t-year-2831968
Shpati is offline  
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2019, 18:37
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend
 
forestasuceava's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2007
Location: Nope
Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
Posts: 27,686
But the more important question, was Tesla:

Serb,Croat or Romanian?
forestasuceava is offline  
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2019, 18:41
Xtratime Legend
 
Morierinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2006
Teams: Inter; Stoke
Posts: 28,978
I think real internet science hipsters are more into John von Neumann or Richard Feynman.
szövkap likes this.

Not bigotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze da Fiel View Post
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghat ka
Morierinho is offline  
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2019, 18:47
Forum Manager
Legend
 
pele10brazil's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2010
Teams: Romania,Real Madrid,Universitatea Craiova
Posts: 12,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morierinho View Post
I think real internet science hipsters are more into John von Neumann or Richard Feynman.
Great personality and a good-natured human being according to Lawrence Krauss. I love this quote of his:

“Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms. [...] It does not do harm to the mystery to know a little about it. For far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined it. Why do the poets of the present not speak of it? What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
Athletic ability to spare, genius level mathematicians, invented the internet, invented russian language, incredibly attractive people, master carpenters, cultural richness to rival any country, musical artistry unsurpassed in Europe....

I'm not kidding here, and I've said it before, if you look deep down in your soul you'll realize that Romanians are master race.
pele10brazil is offline  
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2019, 18:54
Xtratime Legend
 
Morierinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2006
Teams: Inter; Stoke
Posts: 28,978
Krauss doesn't strike me as the best judge of humans, but fair enough.
pele10brazil likes this.

Not bigotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze da Fiel View Post
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghat ka
Morierinho is offline  
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2019, 19:02 Thread Starter
International
 
Shpati's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2012
Location: United States
Teams: Albania
Posts: 7,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestasuceava View Post
But the more important question, was Tesla:

Serb,Croat or Romanian?
Probably easier to just say he was American
Shpati is offline  
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2019, 19:05
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend
 
forestasuceava's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2007
Location: Nope
Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
Posts: 27,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpati View Post
Probably easier to just say he was American
Nah, he was clearly WWEErner
forestasuceava is offline  
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2019, 19:16
Forum Manager
Legend
 
pele10brazil's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2010
Teams: Romania,Real Madrid,Universitatea Craiova
Posts: 12,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morierinho View Post
Krauss doesn't strike me as the best judge of humans, but fair enough.
Here's another Feynman quote I think you'd like since you watched W.L.Craig vids in the past. Remember when he kept yapping on how improbable the Big-Bang theory was as an argument?

You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and I came in through the parking lot. And you won't believe what happened. I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!

szövkap and forestasuceava like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
Athletic ability to spare, genius level mathematicians, invented the internet, invented russian language, incredibly attractive people, master carpenters, cultural richness to rival any country, musical artistry unsurpassed in Europe....

I'm not kidding here, and I've said it before, if you look deep down in your soul you'll realize that Romanians are master race.
pele10brazil is offline  
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2019, 19:31
Master Debater
Xtratime Legend
 
yeniceri's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2004
Posts: 20,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by kırmızımavi View Post
people still think Einstein was all that? really?
Are you serious?

Buraya buraya Deli Ibo Burayaaaaaaaaa
yeniceri is offline  
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2019, 21:51
Xtratime Legend
 
Morierinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2006
Teams: Inter; Stoke
Posts: 28,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by pele10brazil View Post
Here's another Feynman quote I think you'd like since you watched W.L.Craig vids in the past. Remember when he kept yapping on how improbable the Big-Bang theory was as an argument?

You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and I came in through the parking lot. And you won't believe what happened. I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!


That actually sounds like something you'd see in an internet forum.

Not bigotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze da Fiel View Post
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghat ka
Morierinho is offline  
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2019, 21:52
Xtratime Legend
 
Morierinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2006
Teams: Inter; Stoke
Posts: 28,978

Not bigotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze da Fiel View Post
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghat ka
Morierinho is offline  
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2019, 01:05
Rising Star
 
Zelja's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2008
Posts: 153
All round greatest mind is Da Vinci, I think. Excelled in science, engineering, biology & the arts. The ultimate renaissance man.
Zelja is offline  
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2019, 05:54
Xtratime Elite
 
Dmitriy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2004
Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Posts: 63,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelja View Post
All round greatest mind is Da Vinci, I think. Excelled in science, engineering, biology & the arts. The ultimate renaissance man.
He really added close to nothing of worth in these fields and as a painter he was far far far from one of the greatest.

R.I.P Ari
Dmitriy is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome