LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2019, 21:15 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Why are there two Galicias in Europe?

it is quite confusing

also which one is more pathetic?

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2019, 21:16 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

well I guess the EE one is (was):

Education lagged behind, with only 15% or so of the peasants attending any kind of school, meaning that few peasants had the skills to pursue other careers.[6] Even if they did, no major Galician city (Kraków or Lwów) was a center of significant industry, which gave peasants little alternatives to their profession.[7] The Austrian imperial government showed absolutely no interest in schooling and subsequent reform such as industrialization, which would upset the system in which Galicia was a cheap provider of agricultural products for the Empire, and a market for inferior industrial goods, a situation profitable for both the governments and the landowners.[8][9][10] The Austrian government treated Galicia as a colony that could be treated to another country, and overtaxed it rather than invested in it.[11][8][12] In what little industry Galicia had, one of the largest local branches (about a third of the total) was alcohol brewing, further exploiting and impoverishing the peasantry.[13] Alcoholism was a major social problem.[14]

Agricultural productivity of Galician peasants was one of the lowest in Europe, due to the use of primitive agricultural techniques, many little different from those used in the Middle Ages.[15][10][16] The situation in Northern (Polish) Galicia was compounded by the lack of good land and growing population, resulting in the steadily diminishing size of an individual peasant's plot.[17] Over 70% of Galicia population lived off the land.[9] In the second half of the 19th century, with only a marginal increase of arable land (about 7%), the population of peasants doubled.[18] In 1899, 80% of the plots had less than 5 acres (2.0 ha), and many were not able to grow enough food on their plots to support their families.[17][19] Overpopulation in Galicia has been so severe that it has been described as the most overpopulated place in Europe, and compared to India and China.[11]

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2019, 21:26 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

of course there were two Albanias too but in this case we at least know what happened: those Caucasus tribes left their former area in modern Azerbaijan and traveled to the Adriatic coast and then pretended to be Illyrian or whatever even though their moon language clearly shows this is not the case

but those two Galicias are not really related ethnically at all

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2019, 22:14
TTM
Legend

Talking to oneself is a sign of mental illness Andy. Get help.

szövkap and Shpati like this.

Ding ding ding da ding da ding ding ding
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2019, 22:49
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter; Stoke
I always found it confusing that Asterix' village was located in Amurica.

Not bigotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze da Fiel View Post
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghat ka

Last edited by Morierinho; September 1st, 2019 at 03:01.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2019, 22:52
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM View Post
Talking to oneself is a sign of mental illness Andy. Get help.

Laughing at one's own jokes seems pretty crazy too if you ask me.
Andy Christ, rilla_ and Ronaldwho? like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2019, 22:56
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter; Stoke
Abandoning the sinking ship, then returning just to mock the few brave holdouts.
Andy Christ likes this.

Not bigotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze da Fiel View Post
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghat ka
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2019, 00:10
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Ancient connection between Ukrainians and Spaniards?

R.I.P Ari
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2019, 03:25
Gyula
Premier Player

Teams: Hungary, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
Yeah the bad cooking. If you ask szovkap that is.
szövkap and Serb like this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2019, 03:54
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
Quote:
excuse me, Sir, but Galicians are not "Spaniards". just met 2 of them in BP, was good time with them bashing the Spaniards lol

Galicia is more related to Portugal, historically, culturally and linguistically
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2019, 12:37
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
of course there were two Albanias too but in this case we at least know what happened: those Caucasus tribes left their former area in modern Azerbaijan and traveled to the Adriatic coast and then pretended to be Illyrian or whatever even though their moon language clearly shows this is not the case
If you have a look at what genetic testing shows (Y-DNA haplogroups) you'll see that the Caucasian origin theory of the Albanians is bullshit. The three most common Albanian haplogroups are all European in origin, the youngest of which is E and that one has been in the Balkans for about 3000 years. If they did split off from some Caucasian peoples that happened thousands of years ago, not hundreds.

Quote:
but those two Galicias are not really related ethnically at all.
The name is derived from the Celts. Obviously no ethnic connection can exist since it's been centuries since Celtic peoples actually lived in those regions. The Spanish Gallegos I think claim direct descent from the Celts but in Poland and Ukraine I don't think it's the case.
Shpati likes this.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2019, 12:55
Xtratime Elite

the name of the EE Galicia derived from the name of the town Halych and the transcription into Latin thereof during the 14th century when the area belonged to Ungarn. nothing to do with Celts here. coincidence, just like Turkey and Peru aren‘t named after that animal either.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2019, 04:24
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Árpád_ View Post
Yeah the bad cooking. If you ask szovkap that is.
Ukraine is the cradle of borscht and vareniki (erroneously called perogi) you bag of shit.

#honorthecradle

R.I.P Ari
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:49
Xtratime Elite

yes, but they don‘t taste very well. severe lack of paprika in both. the only soviet dish that has somewhat of a taste beyond tundra roots, is that thing you call „korean salad“

still better cooking than Spaniards though who would have all the ingredients due to climate but what they do is cook a pork belly in boiling water, then pour a liter olive oil on top and that‘s it

Galicia and Euskadi are the only places with a cuisine to talk about. Seafood galore plus the famous pimientas al padron and pulpo a galego come from there.

Last edited by szövkap; September 3rd, 2019 at 11:54.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2019, 12:20 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Basques surely are the master race of Europe.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2019, 12:23
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
The Euskadi surely are the master race of Europe.
no doubt. have the craziest of all languages too. and this is what defines master race, mainly.

so, we have top euro master races

1. Euskadi
2. Magyar
3. Suomi/Eesti (same shit)
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2019, 12:24 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

4. Eesti

edit: never mind, I see you already fixed it

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2019, 15:42
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Ukraine NT-- FC Dnipro
Quote:
Originally Posted by szövkap View Post
excuse me, Sir, but Galicians are not "Spaniards". just met 2 of them in BP, was good time with them bashing the Spaniards lol

Galicia is more related to Portugal, historically, culturally and linguistically
Not sure if you guys watch the copa90 documentaries about derbies around the world but the one about Galicia is fantastic. They are the Greyjoy's if you enjoy GoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by szövkap View Post
yes, but they don‘t taste very well. severe lack of paprika in both. the only soviet dish that has somewhat of a taste beyond tundra roots, is that thing you call „korean salad“

still better cooking than Spaniards though who would have all the ingredients due to climate but what they do is cook a pork belly in boiling water, then pour a liter olive oil on top and that‘s it

Galicia and Euskadi are the only places with a cuisine to talk about. Seafood galore plus the famous pimientas al padron and pulpo a galego come from there.
Lol here we go again. Spanish food is very yummy, especially in Basque region, but Andalucia (Granada in particular) as well

Great thread btw...wonder if any Cradlers realize much blame for their non existent industrial economy lies with Austria empire and not Soviet oppression. They've been the victim of a tug of war between major empires and caught in the middle, the ones who suffer most
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2019, 16:36
Xtratime Elite

Austrians basically reduced them to peanut picking stooges, at least with Russia they took their rightful place as the Bearers of the Cradle.

R.I.P Ari
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2019, 19:51
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Ukraine NT-- FC Dnipro
Quote:
Austrians basically reduced them to peanut picking stooges, at least with Russia they took their rightful place as the Bearers of the Cradle.
Ukraine is Pain. Lots of blood spilled on holy cradle land. Borderlands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in