1Likes
  • 1 Post By szövkap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 05:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Ukraine NT-- FC Dnipro
SK Dnipro-1

Where do I begin with one of the most WWE stories you can imagine...my club Dnipro with 101 years of history ceased to exist this month. Considered the best team in Soviet Union in the 1980's ahead of even Dynamo Kyiv, is now just a memory because our owner didn't want to pay the outstanding debts of the club (greedy & shady, yet doesn't happen if not for the Russian invasion)
Rumor is that he's financing the new club Dnipro-1 through a puppet front as a way to get around paying off debts and the 3 year UEFA ban (btw you should see the club crest of Dnipro-1, embarrassing what an absolute joke!). They play in the same stadium, use the same training base, kept the same coach, several veteran players and now the Dnipro academy has morphed into Dnipro-1
The 2 Dnipro clubs actually faced each other in the 2nd Div in 2017 (the 1st ever Dnipro derby), and last season Dnipro-1 was promoted to UPL, today was the 1st day top flight footy back in Dnipro in 2 years. We were up 2-0 inside 10 min, the 2 goal scorers were the u20 World Cup winning lads. We also featured another 19 year old and started a CM who is 17 years old (17!!!!). Held on to win 2-0.
I'm conflicted, on one hand I'm heartbroken to what happened to my beloved Dnipro (the ultras don't acknowledge this new club), on the other hand its the team representing my city with clear links to Dnipro...what other clubs besides Parma & Wimbledon have ceased and were rebranded that you know of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 08:25
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Rangers, Alania, and Steaua off the top of my head.

R.I.P Ari
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 13:57
International

Teams: Crvena Zvezda, Girondins de Bordeaux
Parma, Napoli, Fiorentina, Steaua. And then you have the Red Bull teams like "RB" Leipzig.

Many people seek after what they do not possess and are thus enslaved by the very things they want to acquire...because "precondition of that subjunctive". - Ivica LeFondre
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 14:02
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
Austria Salzburg to Red Bull and Lokomotive Leipzig to Rasenballsport Leipzig is just a rebrand but the original clubs never ceased to exist

also not sure about Rangers and Steaua, the latter just changed name while the former not even that and also never ceased, just got relegated to Div4

Videoton to MOL is another name change thing also

Dnipro‘s case is particular thing because club really ceased to exist and owner seemed to just have bought another one or created a new one to relaunch the former club with another name from a lower league
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 14:14
Xtratime Elite

the only club I can think of is Inter Bratislava, who ceased to exist circa 10 years ago, then a former fanclub of theirs started with the name from lowest league and worked their way up to Div2 so far

no real rebranding though, afaik they have the same name, even though FK Senica seems to have the rights on the name

Ripensia Timișoara may be another, ceased in 1948 and relaunched in 2010

Dnipro‘s case is still different
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 14:16
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
It’s not the same thing but look at the new RPL club Sochi, apparently some rich businessman bought a low level club from St. Petersburg and simply moved them to Sochi where they already had ready made facilities
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 14:18
International

"Austria Salzburg to Red Bull and Lokomotive Leipzig to Rasenballsport Leipzig is just a rebrand but the original clubs never ceased to exist

also not sure about Rangers and Steaua, the latter just changed name while the former not even that and also never ceased, just got relegated to Div4"

True about the red bull teams, I should have been more specific. Still, it is a rebrand and in doing so alienated supporters.

Rangers did go into receivership, declared insolvent, and had to register a new name (ownership) while accepting associate membership into the Scottish league. It was a very different team than the one featured in Scottish Premiership.

Steaua is mostly just old commies arguing over a name. Does anyone honestly call them "FCSB"?

Many people seek after what they do not possess and are thus enslaved by the very things they want to acquire...because "precondition of that subjunctive". - Ivica LeFondre
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 14:18
Xtratime Elite

^ HS, that looks like your american franchise moves
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 14:23
International

Also, Olimpija Ljubljana. They went from NK Olimpija to NK Bezigrad to Olimpija Ljubljana.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 14:30
Xtratime Elite

my own club comes to mind as well, even though under different circumstances. MTK was shut down in 1940 by government because jewish. Relaunched in 1945, then after commies took rule in 1949 the government changed the name several times, Textiles SE (Textile Sport club), Bástya SE (Bastion Sport club), Vörös Lobogó (Red Banner), until we became finally MTK again in 1956
Sarma Police likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 14:31
Xtratime Elite

whabbout Hradanski -> Dinamo -> Croatia -> Dinamo
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 14:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Quote:
Originally Posted by szövkap View Post
^ HS, that looks like your american franchise moves
Yeah it’s basically a Wimbledon to MK Dons move. It almost happened in MLS last year too when Columbus was going to move to Austin, TX but they gave Austin an “expansion” franchise instead

In the current HNL I guess good examples are Gorica, Varazdin and Istra Pula. The city had Radnik Velika Gorica who were in the top flight in the 90s but dissolved, Gorica is basically a new club with no links to Radnik legally. Istra went through several name changes and color changes until fan pressure got them the club they have today

Varazdin is the most recent one. They were known as Varteks Varazdin until they went broke in the middle of a season and couldn’t finish it and were relegated to the lowest level. A “fake” club named Varazdin rose the ranks quickly with a lot of help from the HNS and current NT manager Dalic but they legally have no links with Varteks despite using the same colors etc. The hardcore ultras “reformed” a new Varteks playing in the county leagues but they have little support from the city, basically an amateur club

Last edited by HajdukSplit; August 1st, 2019 at 15:04.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2019, 15:57
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
It’s not the same thing but look at the new RPL club Sochi, apparently some rich businessman bought a low level club from St. Petersburg and simply moved them to Sochi where they already had ready made facilities
Go a bunch of on the outs players from Zenit too.

R.I.P Ari
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2019, 02:40 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Ukraine NT-- FC Dnipro
Quote:
the only club I can think of is Inter Bratislava, who ceased to exist circa 10 years ago, then a former fanclub of theirs started with the name from lowest league and worked their way up to Div2 so far

no real rebranding though, afaik they have the same name, even though FK Senica seems to have the rights on the name

Ripensia Timișoara may be another, ceased in 1948 and relaunched in 2010

Dnipro‘s case is still different
Does anyone know what happens with the Dnipro logo? Is there a certain number of years that has to go by before someone can use the same logo & name or is it supposed to never be duplicated again?

Dnipro logo is like a classic NFL logo, so much better than any new stuff being made today. Just heartbreaking to me its no longer, I can't accept it

Quote:
my own club comes to mind as well, even though under different circumstances. MTK was shut down in 1940 by government because jewish. Relaunched in 1945, then after commies took rule in 1949 the government changed the name several times, Textiles SE (Textile Sport club), Bástya SE (Bastion Sport club), Vörös Lobogó (Red Banner), until we became finally MTK again in 1956
Wow that's a terrible period, glad it was resolved

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in