U-21 Euro - Page 2 - Xtratime Community
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 02:01
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestasuceava View Post
No.

But it will be really hard to beat England or France. Not impossible, though....
Have some good skill up front so yes possible. It has been a long time since Romania has been good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 02:01
Gyula
Premier Player

Teams: Hungary, Romania
LOL Hagi and Puscas on the same team. This is one of the signs of the apocalypse. Romania will show you all the meaning of football. You'll forget Croatia ever existed.
szövkap likes this.
post #23 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 06:06 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Everton is willing to sell and Vlasic is willing to stay, but nothing concrete despite all the reports.

R.I.P Ari
post #24 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 06:57
dinamo67
World Class Player

Teams: Sydney United, Dinamo Zagreb, Croatia NT
This Croatian team has some really talented players on it. We've never done well at a youth level which is why I don't worry much about it. The good ones will continue on to our senior squad while the rest will fade. We're not bad when it comes to mixing our A team with vets and young guys. It seems to have worked so far at least.

First EEPL Champion.
post #25 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 09:51
Wikipedia Editor
Premier Player

Teams: Bosnia_NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamozagreb86 View Post
This Croatian team has some really talented players on it. We've never done well at a youth level which is why I don't worry much about it. The good ones will continue on to our senior squad while the rest will fade. We're not bad when it comes to mixing our A team with vets and young guys. It seems to have worked so far at least.
This is what happens when you disregard history pre 1991.
Croatian players played a massive role in Yugoslavia (SFRJ) winning U20 World Cup in 1987. Robi Prosinecki best player. Suker, Boban, Stimac, all legendary names.

"Ovaj pristup je možda dovoljan za mađarsku ligu, ali je ovo ipak evropska utakmica".- Thomas Doll (23.7.2015).

"Imam osjećaj da postoje ljudi koji stalno gledaju u sat kad će nestati Bosna i Hercegovina, to traje predugo. A ne znaju da oni imaju satove, a BiH ima vrijeme." - Haris Silajdžić (6.12.2017).
post #26 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 12:11
dinamo67
World Class Player

Teams: Sydney United, Dinamo Zagreb, Croatia NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHVolim View Post
This is what happens when you disregard history pre 1991.
Croatian players played a massive role in Yugoslavia (SFRJ) winning U20 World Cup in 1987. Robi Prosinecki best player. Suker, Boban, Stimac, all legendary names.
Fair enough, and those players continued and ended up getting Croatia to 3rd place in 98. My point was for how well we have done as a NT, with a couple of hiccups here and there, there is no connection between youth results and senior team results at least when it comes to Croatia. First time we qualified for a Euro U21 since 2004. That's a shitty record yet in the meantime we managed a WC final.

First EEPL Champion.
post #27 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 12:29
Gyula
Premier Player

Teams: Hungary, Romania
post #28 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 19:18
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania,Real Madrid,Universitatea Craiova
MotM Tudor Baluta, from my hometown
Hagibest likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
Athletic ability to spare, genius level mathematicians, invented the internet, invented russian language, incredibly attractive people, master carpenters, cultural richness to rival any country, musical artistry unsurpassed in Europe....

I'm not kidding here, and I've said it before, if you look deep down in your soul you'll realize that Romanians are master race.
post #29 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 19:45
Ilie Balaci ❤
World Class Player

Teams: U Craiova, Milan, West Ham, Ajax, TFC, ROU, ITA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pele10brazil View Post
MotM Tudor Baluta, from my hometown

Craiovaaaa. And Cicaldau who plays for CSU played fantastic too
pele10brazil likes this.

forestasuceava: you prostitute yourself?
me: for the national team.. I would

U Craiova

Quote:
O iubire alb-albastra
La Craiova e mereu!
My All-Time Romania unique XIs:
----------------Lung
Petrescu--Stefanescu--Popescu--Chivu
----------Boloni----Lupescu
Dumitrescu--Dobrin/Balaci--Hagi
-----------------Mutu
post #30 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 19:55
Premier Player

Quote:
Fair enough, and those players continued and ended up getting Croatia to 3rd place in 98. My point was for how well we have done as a NT, with a couple of hiccups here and there, there is no connection between youth results and senior team results at least when it comes to Croatia. First time we qualified for a Euro U21 since 2004. That's a shitty record yet in the meantime we managed a WC final.
That's not how it works. You got lucky with mixing one generation and bringing in a diaspora wizard in Rakitic. The chances of something like that repeating itself isn't very likely. The 87 U20 WC winners that went on being your 3rd place team in 98 is more representative of how youth success translates into senior level success

On the opposite spectrum, Serbia has great success at youth level and we massively underperform at senior level due to a corrupt and moronic FA.

There's always more things at play but the chances of mixing multiple talented generations again to form a superteam is very unlikely. In this generation, you only have 2 star level potential players in Brekalo and Vlasic. There is always a chance that 1-2 more players surprise but I don't see anyone else that stands out in particular. You're going to have a very difficult 10 years in football. Be prepared.
post #31 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 21:57
Wikipedia Editor
Premier Player

Quote:
The reason is probably related to the fact that your youth teams are selected from Croatian league players. I wouldn't worry about it as long as senior NT keeps getting results.

"Ovaj pristup je možda dovoljan za mađarsku ligu, ali je ovo ipak evropska utakmica".- Thomas Doll (23.7.2015).

"Imam osjećaj da postoje ljudi koji stalno gledaju u sat kad će nestati Bosna i Hercegovina, to traje predugo. A ne znaju da oni imaju satove, a BiH ima vrijeme." - Haris Silajdžić (6.12.2017).
post #32 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 21:59
Wikipedia Editor
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrpskiInat View Post
You're going to have a very difficult 10 years in football. Be prepared.
Don't hold your breath.

Croatia has been pretty consistent last 20 years let's be honest. For 10 years straight they have not dropped out of top 10 or 15 in the World.
dinamozagreb86 likes this.

post #33 of 245 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2019, 23:09
Ero
BARRED!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zrinjski Mostar, Glasgow Celtic
Quote:
That's not how it works. You got lucky with mixing one generation and bringing in a diaspora wizard in Rakitic. The chances of something like that repeating itself isn't very likely. The 87 U20 WC winners that went on being your 3rd place team in 98 is more representative of how youth success translates into senior level success

On the opposite spectrum, Serbia has great success at youth level and we massively underperform at senior level due to a corrupt and moronic FA.

There's always more things at play but the chances of mixing multiple talented generations again to form a superteam is very unlikely. In this generation, you only have 2 star level potential players in Brekalo and Vlasic. There is always a chance that 1-2 more players surprise but I don't see anyone else that stands out in particular. You're going to have a very difficult 10 years in football. Be prepared.
Nah, Serbia just lack the mental fortitude and national pride necessary to be a football power, let alone a superpower like Croatia. Just not in the same league. The worst of it, you guys dragged us down for like 70 years during the commie/dictator years, we'd at least have a couple of World Cups if it wasn't for Serb dead weight we had to tow all those years.
post #34 of 245 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2019, 00:04
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero View Post
Nah, Serbia just lack the mental fortitude and national pride necessary to be a football power, let alone a superpower like Croatia. Just not in the same league. The worst of it, you guys dragged us down for like 70 years during the commie/dictator years, we'd at least have a couple of World Cups if it wasn't for Serb dead weight we had to tow all those years.
Mate, you can talk when you win a trophy. Until then, you have no bragging rights

Serbia has a CL trophy and a couple youth trophies.

Croatia has a 2nd and 3rd place finish. You don't get trophies for those. 2nd place and 3rd place are never remembered in any sporting event. Just champions.
When people talk about Djokovic they talk about his 15 grand slams and not his X semi and finals appearances
post #35 of 245 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2019, 00:08
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero View Post
but then think of all those Croatian greats that never would have been without us Serbs --> Drazen Petrovic, Prosinecki, Beara, Plecas, Subasic, Komazec, Vrankovic, Modric, Filipovic, Ivanisevic etc.

dare I say --> a symbiotic relationship

Capello beamed: "From Savicevic you came to expect these unthinkable plays of brilliance, because from the position he was in most players would have just taken the ball in stride and gone a little further with it, instead he went for this spectacular attempt which has gone down in history and is shown over and over again. It was simply.... Una cosa da Savicevic [the way of Savicevic]."
post #36 of 245 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2019, 00:11
Legend

Quote:
Mate, you can talk when you win a trophy. Until then, you have no bragging rights

Serbia has a CL trophy and a couple youth trophies.

Croatia has a 2nd and 3rd place finish. You don't get trophies for those. 2nd place and 3rd place are never remembered in any sporting event. Just champions.
When people talk about Djokovic they talk about his 15 grand slams and not his X semi and finals appearances
on a serious note, Croatia's 2nd and 3rd place at World Cups are an awesome achievement and something they can hold over us whenever they like

ask yourself, how often do nations with such small populations and with all due respect outdated footballing infrastructure walk out at a WC final like Croatia did last year?

Capello beamed: "From Savicevic you came to expect these unthinkable plays of brilliance, because from the position he was in most players would have just taken the ball in stride and gone a little further with it, instead he went for this spectacular attempt which has gone down in history and is shown over and over again. It was simply.... Una cosa da Savicevic [the way of Savicevic]."
post #37 of 245 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2019, 00:12
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHVolim View Post
Don't hold your breath.

Croatia has been pretty consistent last 20 years let's be honest. For 10 years straight they have not dropped out of top 10 or 15 in the World.
How often does a world class player like Modric or Rakitic come along? I'd say not very often. Before those two showed up, Croatia wasn't anything special apart from the 98 team that is a product of Yugoslav football.
Same will be coming to Bosnia once Dzeko and Pjanic are gone. People think world class players come along every decade. That's so foolish. These aren't countries like Spain, Germany, or France where there's an endless talent pool.

Anyhow, I 100% believe Serbia is going win a Euro or WC in the next 10-12 years. Call me crazy all you want but once that corruption is pushed out of our football and we have a competent coach that isn't forced to call up a bunch of amateurs from Serbian league, we will begin to perform at a high level. The thing that sets our golden generation apart from Croatia's is that we will have one of the best strikers of all time in Luka Jovic. I've been watching football for 24 years now, and I've never seen such a clinical finisher like him before. This is a gift you're born with.
94-03 generation is going to do some damage. Lots of major talents that are far bigger than any Dejan Stankovic, Ljajic, Matic, and so on.

It's going to be nice watching us do something well in football while Croatia goes through a drought.
post #38 of 245 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2019, 00:15
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist View Post
on a serious note, Croatia's 2nd and 3rd place at World Cups are an awesome achievement and something they can hold over us whenever they like

ask yourself, how often do nations with such small populations and with all due respect outdated footballing infrastructure walk out at a WC final like Croatia did last year?
Sure, it's a great achievement but you can't have bragging rights unless you have a trophy in hand. Nobody remembers 2nd and 3rd place finishers. Just champions.
post #39 of 245 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2019, 00:19
Legend

I do appreciate optimism but there is just something that doesn't work in Serbian football... we are not world beaters by any measure... but we are always less than the sum of our parts... for example, look at the recent U21 game vs Austria --> on paper, we looked great (Milenkovic, Zivkovic, Jovic etc.) but lose 2-0 with the obligatory red card and are pretty much eliminated after the first game

on the other hand, we - if anything - overachieve elsewhere in basketball, water polo, tennis, volleyball etc.

it just might be that our flaws are accentuated and fatal in football because it is the biggest sport

post #40 of 245 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2019, 00:25
Legend

Quote:
Sure, it's a great achievement but you can't have bragging rights unless you have a trophy in hand. Nobody remembers 2nd and 3rd place finishers. Just champions.
it doesn't always have to be about trophies in sports to be remembered... for example, Baggio is the best Italian '10' that I have watched even though the likes of Del Piero and Totti have bigger trophy cabinets but someone said it well --> Baggio's greatness was in the moments on the field, not in the trophies in the cabinet

Croatia's WC final appearance will be remembered and rightfully so... and if for no other reason than Ante running around reminding everyone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in