Many have asked, "what is the secret to Croatia's amazing sporting success?"... - Xtratime Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2018, 12:29 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Croatian NT, Real Madrid and Notre Dame
Many have asked, "what is the secret to Croatia's amazing sporting success?"...

Guys, gals and "its", you have asked Ante many times as you marveled at all our sporting (and academic) success...what is the secret?

Well, Croatia Week came up with a timely article (though the p.huckers stole half of my posts from here for their ideas and didn't give credit but oh well)...on the success. Read and enjoy.

https://www.croatiaweek.com/what-is-...rting-success/

Quote:
What is the Secret to Croatia’s Amazing Sporting Success?
by croatiaweekSeptember 17, 2018in Sport

Croatia into their 3rd Davis Cup final (Photo: Mario Ćužić/HTS)

Another incredible weekend for Croatian sport has capped off a summer to remember.

A weekend which saw the Sinković brothers crowned world champions in the coxless pairs and become the first rowers in history to become world champs in two disciplines, Opatija’s Enrico Marotti win the world windsurfing title in Denmark and Croatia reach the final of tennis’ Davis Cup for the second time in three years.

Croatia’s sporting summer 2018:

FIFA World Cup – Silver
Davis Cup – Final
Rowing – World Champions
Basketball – U16 European Champions
Windsurfing – World Champion
Ultramarathon – World Champion
Discus – 5-time European Champion first time in athletics history

Some of the achievements just in the last couple of months.

Borna Ćorić’s victory on Sunday in Zadar sealed Croatia’s 5th straight win over USA – Zagreb (2003), Los Angeles (2005), Poreč (2009), Portland (2016) and Zadar (2018). An amazing feat when you break down the numbers.

Croatia, with no real investment in tennis and active players numbering in the thousands, has managed to dominate one of the world’s biggest nations who pump big money into the sport, has infrastructure, history and over 18 million active tennis players.

Recently Germany’s Bild magazine declared Croatia the best sporting nation in the world, and its hard to argue against it. With a population hovering around the 4 million mark, the sporting honours roll is remarkable, to say the least.

Sinković brothers win gold at the World Champs (Facebook)

In the same summer, Croatia has reached the final of the football World Cup and the Davis Cup. Although keenly debated, a number of critics agree that football and tennis, with the amount of participation in the world, are the top two most competitive global games.

In these two sports, which is a good starting measure of a nation’s sporting prowess, Croatia has achieved what some of the so-called ‘big’ nations could only dream of.

The nation won bronze at the 1998 FIFA World Cup and the following year climbed to 3rd in the FIFA rankings and is now in the top 5 again after winning the silver medal in Russia in 2018.

Silver in Russia (HNS)

Luka Modrić has been named the best footballer in Europe this year and Croatian clubs have also supplied Europe’s top clubs with dozens and dozens of players over the years.

A Croatian footballer has been part of a winning Champions League team for the last six years in a row.

Luka Modrić picks up his award in Monaco (UEFA)

In tennis, Croatia could have possibly gone one better. In 2005 Croatia won the Davis Cup out of over 160 teams in the world and was runner-up in 2016 and has made the final once again this year.

It has produced Wimbledon (Goran Ivanišević), US Open (Marin Čilić), and French Open (Iva Majoli) champions, as well as a number of doubles and junior titles. Mate Pavic, who has won three Grand Slam doubles titles, was No.1 doubles player in the world.

The winning Croatian Davis Cup team in 2005

This summer the Croatia U16 basketball team were crowned champions of Europe and Dino Rađa was inducted into basketball’s Hall of Fame.

There have also been a host of individuals who have been world champions in their chosen sports over the years, such as the great Janica and Ivica Kostelić (skiing), Blanka Vlašić (high jump), Sandra Perković (discus) and Sara Kolak (javelin), Nikolina Šustić (ultrarunning) Giovanni Cernogoraz, Snježana Pejčić and Josip Glasnović (shooting) to name just a few.

Croatia U16 Basketball team (FIBA)

What is the secret?
Genetics, quality coaching and development structure, passion, culture, and an enormous love for country are some of the main reasons according to Romeo Jozak, one of the people most qualified to provide some insight.

Jozak is the former Technical Director of the Croatian Football Federation. He has a Doctorate in Science and has worked in almost every role in Croatian football, including working with Dinamo Zagreb’s famous Youth Academy.

Jozak believes that it comes down to a combination of a few things.

Genetics (in other words as Ante has said over and over #itsinourdna )
“One obvious reason is the innate talent for sports that the people in this part of the world are born with. This is clearly something intangible we were blessed within the genetic makeup, but it is undefinable. If we could find a way to bottle it and sell it, it would no doubt be the most sought-after product in the world,” Jozak says.

Sandra Perković created history this summer (Getty/Instagram)

Coaching
Jozak says that there are a couple of other facts involved apart from genetics. He believes that the high-level quality of youth coaches in sports like football, handball, basketball, and water polo, plays a huge part in shaping the raw talent into something more, and eventually into producing elite athletes.

“We’ve strategically approved our technical development curriculum. That’s a guide material that a lot of coaches and academies are following. The same or similar view on developments is crucial,” he adds.

Vrsaljko (Photo/Agencies)

Patriotism
“The final part, for me at least, the one that binds together everything is the passion and love for sport that is deeply rooted into every Croatian, the love for our country that we can express most visibly when competing,” Jozak says, and there are others who agree this has played a big part.

“It’s a chance to show the world, through different sports, that we exist. Sportsmen are the best ambassadors for us. It is a great inspiration to represent Croatia. There is a lot of pride. With the war and everything that went on, that increased the national energy. We don’t have to teach the kids to sing the national anthem. There’s national pride,” (in other words, no kneeling thugs or contracts forcing players to sing ) former footballer Igor Stimac once said.

(HNS)

Football
With football being his expertise and him playing a part in the development system, Romeo has some specific views on why Croatia has excelled in football.

“Football as a game has a long history in Croatia. Many don’t remember that the Croatian Football Federation was the first such institution in former Yugoslavia. From there on in, the core of every big team in Yugoslavian history was made from Croatians, leading up to 1987 when the only Yugoslavian World Cup title in football had been won, with players such as Boban, Štimac, Prosinečki, and Šuker as the biggest names. It almost seems that from the very beginning we were destined for this game,” he believes, before adding.

(HNS)

“On a more practical note, apart from the factors I mentioned earlier, it is all down to hard work. We have to make sure we don’t miss a single player with the potential to become great, be it in Croatia or in the Croatian diaspora worldwide. Find the players early and then develop them properly, that is where the coaches are the key.”

Does Jozak believe certain areas or regions stand out when it comes to talent in Croatia?

“There are great athletes from every corner of our beautiful homeland that have risen to the very top and made us all proud. Zagreb, Split, Osijek, Rijeka, Pula and many many others.

In the end, it is perhaps this unity most of all, that is sometimes lacking in other areas, but which really comes together in sport, that makes us so successful competing on the world stage.”

2018 has been an amazing year in what has been an amazing history of Croatian sports and will be remembered for a very long time.
Only thing missing in the article was our academic gold medals.

And the bottom line:

#weareCroatia
#youwishyouwere
#itsinourdna
#yourtearstastedelicious

dinamozagreb86 likes this.

Ivan Rakitic: "We have this special bond. When you put the sacred Croatia shirt on you become another person...this is something all of us have in us, and it will be in us to the very last moment.”

#weareCroatia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2018, 14:34
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
#flamingpassion

R.I.P Ari
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2018, 15:10
Gyula
Premier Player

Teams: Hungary, Romania
Careful, you brag too much about your DNA and the powers that be will culturally and genetically enrich Croatia with Arabs and Africans. Don't say I didn't warn you.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2018, 15:20
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Players read WWE before match times
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2018, 16:13 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Croatian NT, Real Madrid and Notre Dame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza View Post
Players read WWE before match times
They do and its part of the reason they do so well....they know we are proudly with them always from all corners of the globe.

A side note (if I can pat myself on the back for a moment)....Lovren in one of his tweets did a shout out "to my man Ante and other Cro super fans like him worldwide" and signed off with my classic #weareCroatia.

Ivan Rakitic: "We have this special bond. When you put the sacred Croatia shirt on you become another person...this is something all of us have in us, and it will be in us to the very last moment.”

#weareCroatia
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2018, 16:30
dinamo67
World Class Player

Teams: Sydney United, Dinamo Zagreb, Croatia NT
German paper Bild few month ago:

I'm sure youse understand the title.

#wearecroatia
ForzaFiume likes this.

First EEPL Champion.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2018, 18:23
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
Bild is the best paper in the world

#investigativejournalism

#nothingbutthetruth

#zadom

#wewishwewere
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2018, 00:44
Legend

Teams: Juve, Italy, USMNT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ante View Post
Guys, gals and "its", you have asked Ante many times as you marveled at all our sporting (and academic) success...what is the secret?
What academic success?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2018, 23:28
Xtratime Legend

Ajvar.
szövkap likes this.

Śuvres complčtes de Fikret Smiljanić
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2018, 23:43
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo View Post
Ajvar.
good stuff

szövkap, Tommy, El Lobo and 2 others like this.

Capello beamed: "From Savicevic you came to expect these unthinkable plays of brilliance, because from the position he was in most players would have just taken the ball in stride and gone a little further with it, instead he went for this spectacular attempt which has gone down in history and is shown over and over again. It was simply.... Una cosa da Savicevic [the way of Savicevic]."
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2018, 03:37
Xtratime Elite

I actually use Ajvar most of the time because lack of massa de pimentáo for the portuguese style potato gratin I make sometimes, it's a good substitute, created by the gods themselves
El Lobo likes this.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2018, 03:39
Xtratime Legend

[TUB]mxaazW-C1dg[/TUB]

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2018, 04:12
Xtratime Legend

Za Krleta.

[TUB]5Pm7x4vQOL0[/TUB]

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2018, 08:11
Forum Manager
Star Player

[TUB]06xb2cuBZEY[/TUB]
Ero likes this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2018, 08:33
Xtratime Elite

Catholic niqqas can't feel this, only Orthodox niqqas can

R.I.P Ari
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2018, 08:35
Xtratime Elite

I've been drinking a bit too much lately.

#thuglife #orthodoxeasterneuropeans #pain

R.I.P Ari
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2018, 12:42
Gyula
Premier Player

Teams: Hungary, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post

You can't be thug and cultured at the same time. It's either one or the other.
ForzaFiume, Dmitriy and shiaben like this.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2018, 04:07
Xtratime Elite

cultured ones are into drinking and ganja, thugs do meth and such
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2018, 06:40
Xtratime Elite

#culturedthugs #pain

R.I.P Ari
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2018, 16:27
dinamo67
World Class Player

Teams: Sydney United, Dinamo Zagreb, Croatia NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post

Yeah local soccer season is over so not much drinking is gonna happen for me. I usually try to stick to about 5 or 6 beers nowadays when I go out which is often anyway.

Catholic niqqa felt this. Thug life. I often pour a bit of my beer on the ground for all my dead homies.
Proedros likes this.

First EEPL Champion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in