Djoković > Croatian football - Xtratime Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2018, 22:27 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Djoković > Croatian football

Croatia have done pretty well at football and have some great players, especially Modrić, but ultimately Serbs have nothing to envy when they have an all-time great like Novak blazing a trail like he has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2018, 23:11
Premier Player

Nole is half-Croat, his major tennis influence was Nikki Pilić, Croat coaching legend and he's a huge fan of the Vatreni. No wonder he's one of the most popular sportsmen in Croatia.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
ForzaFiume likes this.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2018, 23:24
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuhoZD View Post
Nole is half-Croat, his major tennis influence was Nikki Pilić, Croat coaching legend and he's a huge fan of the Vatreni. No wonder he's one of the most popular sportsmen in Croatia.

Rumored to be Montenegrin paternally...rumored to be Croatian maternally...perhaps a Yugoslav nationally in the past...but currently a Serbian. He's a spectacular role model though, rejected to be the UK's #1 back then at the inception of his pro career while some scrubs from Eastern Europe joined the UK and found no success. Karma!
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2018, 23:46
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
Rumored to be Montenegrin paternally...rumored to be Croatian maternally...perhaps a Yugoslav nationally in the past...but currently a Serbian. He's a spectacular role model though, rejected to be the UK's #1 back then at the inception of his pro career while some scrubs from Eastern Europe joined the UK and found no success. Karma!
He actually accepted the UK's approach but it never materialised as they didn't come through with a formal offer.

His paternal and maternal ancestries aren't mere rumours, he and his father have talked about it in the past.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 00:32
Legend

to be fair, strong sporting traditions for both and there really shouldn't be envy on either side... and yes, Croatia has had some great results in football and to reach a WC final is momentous... a feat hard to imagine being replicated by another such small nation again

as for Djokovic, an interesting adjective used for and of him yesterday after winning the US Open --> transcendent... 14 Grand Slams including holding all 4 concurrently in 2015-2016, 31 Masters wins including being the only player in history to have won all 9, a superior head-to-head record against all major rivals including Federer and Nadal, a higher career match win percentage than anyone else, 5 Year End finals wins (only bettered by Federer), 220+ weeks as World No. 1 etc.

"When you look at match players in the history of tennis, I don't believe that anybody can equal everything on the court that Djokovic does. I don't think you can find a weakness in his game. His movement, personality, his return of serve, his serve, excellent touch, not hesitant in coming to the net, great serve. Over all, almost every player has a downfall; to me he doesn't have one. He's perhaps the best put-together player that I've seen over 60 years." - Nick Bollettieri

Capello beamed: "From Savicevic you came to expect these unthinkable plays of brilliance, because from the position he was in most players would have just taken the ball in stride and gone a little further with it, instead he went for this spectacular attempt which has gone down in history and is shown over and over again. It was simply.... Una cosa da Savicevic [the way of Savicevic]."
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 00:34
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Serbia
Yes, the most iconic Yugoslavs have always been Serbs-Djokovic, Tesla, Petrovic etc. etc.

So nothing really new or groundbreaking here.
SrpskiInat likes this.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 00:55
International

Teams: Hrvatska, HNK Rijeka
#itsinhisdna

Još Hrvatska ni propala dok mi živimo,
visoko se bude stala kad ju zbudimo.
Ak je dugo tvrdo spala, jača hoće bit,
ak je sada u snu mala, će se prostranit.

#weare
#youmostlikelyarenot

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 01:04
Gyula
Premier Player

Teams: Hungary, Romania
Guys don't make me whip out the "map"
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 01:48
Star Player

Teams: Hrvatska repka
In both instances it's pretty remarkable. No real infrastructure or support and yet massive levels of achievement. Both countries have a right to be proud of their achievements.

Contrast that with a country like Australia that has every imaginable advantage and yet chooses to focus on sports that hardly anyone plays. And then proceeds to brag about its sporting prowess. A true 'small country' mentality.
Serb likes this.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 02:21
Premier Player

Quote:

No, Djokovic is 1000% Croatian. Every single time he raises his 3 fingers and Serbian flag, his Croatness percentage increases exponentially.

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 02:35
Premier Player

On a serious note, do Croats have any top athletes that don't have Serbian blood in them?

Drazen Petrovic--dad is Serbian

Dario Saric--both parents Serbian

Modric--Mom is Serbian

Cro Cop--Grandfather/dad's side

I mean you literally have no identity without us.

Yikes.

On another serious note, Djokovic, when all is said and done, might be the greatest athlete to EVER come out of Europe not just Balkan region.

Right now, it's most likely Federer then Nadal/C. Ronaldo but if Djokovic keeps up this form without injuries, he could very well surpass Federer and cement himself as the GOAT European athlete and possible top 5-10 athlete all time in all sports which would be ridiculous coming from such a small, impoverished country.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 02:39
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrpskiInat View Post
No, Djokovic is 1000% Croatian. Every single time he raises his 3 fingers and Serbian flag, his Croatness percentage increases exponentially.

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS.
Relax and untangle your knickers, Nole is Serbian because that's what he chooses to be. And you guys should be happy that a sporting outlier like him wears your colours, salutes with three fingers etc.

Srđan Djoković:

Istina je da je moja supruga Dijana Hrvatica, ali je isto tako istina da ona u Srbiji živi više od 40 godina i da je lojalan građanin naše države. Njeni roditelji su bivša vojna lica, rođeni Vinkovčani, koji su svoj život i sreću pronašli u Beogradu...Iskreno verujem da Novaku nikad niko u Srbiji nije zamerio što mu je majka Hrvatica”.

post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 02:42
Premier Player

Quote:
On another serious note, Djokovic, when all is said and done, might be the greatest athlete to EVER come out of Europe not just Balkan region.

Right now, it's most likely Federer then Nadal/C. Ronaldo but if Djokovic keeps up this form without injuries, he could very well surpass Federer and cement himself as the GOAT European athlete and possible top 5-10 athlete all time in all sports which would be ridiculous coming from such a small, impoverished country.
On a more serious note, when Modrić takes out the World Footballer of the Year award in a couple of weeks and sweeps the UEFA award and Golden Ball he's going to be number one. It's football after all and it's an unprecedented achievement.

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 02:45
Premier Player

Quote:
On a serious note, do Croats have any top athletes that don't have Serbian blood in them?

Drazen Petrovic--dad is Serbian

Dario Saric--both parents Serbian

Modric--Mom is Serbian

Cro Cop--Grandfather/dad's side

I mean you literally have no identity without us.

Yikes.
It's amazing how among all the persecution and oppression of our Serbian minority we're always able to weed out the top athletes. A much underrated skill. We practically cleansed all the useless Serbs and left those who would bring us glory on the sporting stage.

post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 03:11
Legend

Quote:
Relax and untangle your knickers, Nole is Serbian because that's what he chooses to be. And you guys should be happy that a sporting outlier like him wears your colours, salutes with three fingers etc.

Srđan Djoković:

Istina je da je moja supruga Dijana Hrvatica, ali je isto tako istina da ona u Srbiji živi više od 40 godina i da je lojalan građanin naše države. Njeni roditelji su bivša vojna lica, rođeni Vinkovčani, koji su svoj život i sreću pronašli u Beogradu...Iskreno verujem da Novaku nikad niko u Srbiji nije zamerio što mu je majka Hrvatica”.
as it should be... for example, you would have to assume that someone born 'Drazen Dalipagic' in Mostar would be ethnically Croatian and BiH by nationality but he has specifically said that he is a citizen of Serbia and nothing more... and that is the end of the discussion

issues as to ethnicity or, God forbid, racial purity are pointless in the Balkans considering just how intermingled we have all been with each other historically

does make for some good banter though

Capello beamed: "From Savicevic you came to expect these unthinkable plays of brilliance, because from the position he was in most players would have just taken the ball in stride and gone a little further with it, instead he went for this spectacular attempt which has gone down in history and is shown over and over again. It was simply.... Una cosa da Savicevic [the way of Savicevic]."
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 03:18
Legend

Quote:
It's amazing how among all the persecution and oppression of our Serbian minority we're always able to weed out the top athletes. A much underrated skill. We practically cleansed all the useless Serbs and left those who would bring us glory on the sporting stage.

baring your teeth there, Suho?

post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 03:21
Legend

Quote:
On a more serious note, when Modrić takes out the World Footballer of the Year award in a couple of weeks and sweeps the UEFA award and Golden Ball he's going to be number one. It's football after all and it's an unprecedented achievement.

hard to know... Djokovic has a very legitimate argument in being the 3rd greatest men's tennis player of all time in a time when he has had to compete against the two greatest players and with a positive H2H against both

football is the biggest sport and by a distance... but Nole's standing at the near summit all time of the sport must count

Last edited by alchemist; September 11th, 2018 at 05:24.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 05:50
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
The greatest ever talent is Mcenroe.

R.I.P Ari
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 06:02
Legend

one of the great wasted talents was Marat Safin... should have won 7-8 Grand Slams

post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2018, 06:38
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Yea Safin was an awesome athlete.

R.I.P Ari

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in