Elegant young dribblers from EE - Xtratime Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2018, 00:41 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Serbia
Elegant young dribblers from EE

Who are some good old school style up and comers I should take notice of?

More Djordje Hagi than C. Ronaldo is what I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2018, 01:26
Premier Player

Dinamo Zagreb's Lovro Majer is probably Croatia's best young dribbler at the moment and like Đorđe Hadži a leftie.
Serb likes this.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2018, 01:50
Premier Player

Those kind of footballers are a dead breed in Europe.

You still have that in Brazil because it's their founding tradition.
Even Neymar though is extremely wasteful with his attempted dribbling tricks.

You look at mega talents like Dennis Stojkovic and Nikon Jevtic and the biggest reason they didn't succeed is because dribbling and holding onto a ball doesn't work in todays fast countering world. Imagine trying to be a modern day Hagi against France's NT. One dribbling mistake and boom instant counter leading to a goal.
Same with someone like Halilovic from Croatia starting out. His game has completely changed since his early teens and he's now molding into a modern footballer. Coric too. Pjanic. List goes on and on.

Even C. Ronaldo stopped many years ago when he realized how inefficient it was.

Today's football relies on a lot of pressing and closing down on defense and not giving players enough space to do fancy tricks. You'll still see it from guys like Tadic and SMS but it's more direct and has an end purpose (getting by a single player or double-team) and then delivering a cross or a through pass. It doesn't last very long. A trick or two at best. I think it will eventually come back when players adjust to the new pace and style of modern football

The closest thing we have to this is Dusan Tadic. He's an elegant dribbler. He's actually an elite dribbler in the world. One of the best. We saw this at the world cup. They'd send 3 defenders sometimes to guard him. Though, his dribbling is usually confined to a specific space. Such as on the wings. He gets the ball on the wings. Makes a move or two and then delivers a beautiful cross.

That's just how it is nowadays unfortunately as I like creative dribblers as much as anyone else but in Europe it's less and less. Direct football with pace is king. The Mbappe's of the world.

Outside of EE, I really like the way De Bruyne plays. He starts from deep and makes a few long runs with plenty of
direct dribbling and technique involved and delivers a killer pass. IMO, he's one of my all time favorite players to watch. If you watched his 3rd place performance against England at the WC, you'd see what an amazing midfielder he is. Complete in every sense.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2018, 22:27
Premier Player

These types are a dying breed because the game has become more robotic/smarter. Dribbling is a major factor for possession loss which leads to counter attacks. Coaches HATE dribbling.
Orkan likes this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2018, 23:06
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrone View Post
These types are a dying breed because the game has become more robotic/smarter. Dribbling is a major factor for possession loss which leads to counter attacks. Coaches HATE dribbling.
Which is exactly what I wrote mate.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2018, 05:32
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrone View Post
Football just sucks now all around.

R.I.P Ari
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2018, 06:44
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania,Real Madrid,Universitatea Craiova
Odegaard is the only one I can think of and I'm in a hurry. Maybe Pulisic too but I don't know if he fits your description.

EDIT: missed the EE in the title

Well ok, Alexandru Mitrita Sanmartean on steroids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
Athletic ability to spare, genius level mathematicians, invented the internet, invented russian language, incredibly attractive people, master carpenters, cultural richness to rival any country, musical artistry unsurpassed in Europe....

I'm not kidding here, and I've said it before, if you look deep down in your soul you'll realize that Romanians are master race.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2018, 06:55
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania,Real Madrid,Universitatea Craiova
Alen Halilovic and Andrija Balic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
Athletic ability to spare, genius level mathematicians, invented the internet, invented russian language, incredibly attractive people, master carpenters, cultural richness to rival any country, musical artistry unsurpassed in Europe....

I'm not kidding here, and I've said it before, if you look deep down in your soul you'll realize that Romanians are master race.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2018, 14:18
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrpskiInat View Post
Which is exactly what I wrote mate.
Sorry. Didn't read.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2018, 14:39
World Class Player

Teams: Ac Milan , Albania, Italia,Croatia
Top 3 EE young dribblers ATM:

1. SMS
2. Zhegrova
3. Pulisic
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2018, 21:52
Premier Player

You could do worse than follow Golovin and Aleksey MIranchuk. Get that bleak Russian football vibe as both fail to live up to peoples foolish hopes and achieve nothing meaningful internationally.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2018, 05:16
Xtratime Elite

bilyaletdinov was the most elegant dribbler around and look where he ended up.

R.I.P Ari
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2018, 17:32
Premier Player

Bilya was the Russian version of Yoann Gourcuff. Great fundamentals, scored some great goals, but something missing mentally, a bit of a softie and always struggled to be as involved as he should be.

Looking back he was made to look a lot more effective than he actually was in his first few seasons by an aging Loskov switching to a deeper lying role and always sending him great passes at the right moments. That got the hype going, but when he had to take over he was exposed as not up to it by 2008. Never did anything when he came back from England either.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2018, 18:10
Xtratime Elite

Injuries got him after the England spell which was bound to be a failure from the start; his style just didn't suite English footy at all.

R.I.P Ari
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2018, 18:23 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Serbia
Aleks Hleb was silky smooth but didn't amount to much in the end. Still had a noce career but could have been so much more.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2018, 18:42
Xtratime Elite

True Serb, he was a joy to watch but lacked end product.

R.I.P Ari
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2018, 18:52
Premier Player

Kovacic in a lot of ways is the current Hleb. Though usually in a deeper midfield role.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2018, 19:05
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Hull City Tigers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrpskiInat View Post
Those kind of footballers are a dead breed in Europe.

You still have that in Brazil because it's their founding tradition.
Even Neymar though is extremely wasteful with his attempted dribbling tricks.

You look at mega talents like Dennis Stojkovic and Nikon Jevtic and the biggest reason they didn't succeed is because dribbling and holding onto a ball doesn't work in todays fast countering world. Imagine trying to be a modern day Hagi against France's NT. One dribbling mistake and boom instant counter leading to a goal.
Same with someone like Halilovic from Croatia starting out. His game has completely changed since his early teens and he's now molding into a modern footballer. Coric too. Pjanic. List goes on and on.

Even C. Ronaldo stopped many years ago when he realized how inefficient it was.

Today's football relies on a lot of pressing and closing down on defense and not giving players enough space to do fancy tricks. You'll still see it from guys like Tadic and SMS but it's more direct and has an end purpose (getting by a single player or double-team) and then delivering a cross or a through pass. It doesn't last very long. A trick or two at best. I think it will eventually come back when players adjust to the new pace and style of modern football

The closest thing we have to this is Dusan Tadic. He's an elegant dribbler. He's actually an elite dribbler in the world. One of the best. We saw this at the world cup. They'd send 3 defenders sometimes to guard him. Though, his dribbling is usually confined to a specific space. Such as on the wings. He gets the ball on the wings. Makes a move or two and then delivers a beautiful cross.

That's just how it is nowadays unfortunately as I like creative dribblers as much as anyone else but in Europe it's less and less. Direct football with pace is king. The Mbappe's of the world.

Outside of EE, I really like the way De Bruyne plays. He starts from deep and makes a few long runs with plenty of
direct dribbling and technique involved and delivers a killer pass. IMO, he's one of my all time favorite players to watch. If you watched his 3rd place performance against England at the WC, you'd see what an amazing midfielder he is. Complete in every sense.
Not EE but I think Mahrez is a great example of someone who’s figured out how to make dribbling work in a fast paced league.

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2018, 19:17
Premier Player

There will always be a place for good dribblers, you just have to be smart with it and know your limitations. People have been having the same debate about it for over 50 years now. Since the Garrincha days and probably before too.

It's the same with passing, somebody that takes the safe, easiest option every time(absolute scum, the lowest of the low imo) or that always tries the hardest/flashiest pass is not going to be much more use broadly speaking than a good dribbler with low end product.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2018, 19:28
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Hull City Tigers
Yeah I think it’s about the threat of something else and lack of predictability, a good dribbler like Mahrez or Messi might run at you but might equally lay the ball off and
run in behind.

What I don’t see really is many successful dribblers who are also slow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in