Xtratime Community banner

Best Ever Derby Game You've Seen?

655 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  DavidSilk24 
#1 ·
I would like to know, from my fellow rams followers, wot has been the best game they have seen?
3 games spring to my mind
1996-97 - vs Leeds United at BBG - in terms of atmosphere, it was incredble, ive never been to game where the atmosphere has been so electric, besides that, we scored 2 goals within 30 seconds, scored by sturridge n simpson, the final score 3-3, incredible game
1997-98 - vs Southampton at Pride Park - Not the most glamorous game on paper, but we absolutley outplayed southampton, one the best derby performances ever, with the big 3, baiano, eranio n wanchope on top of their game. The final score was 4-0, with carsley scoring an incredible 20 yard drive
1999-2000 - vs Sheffield Wednesday at Pride Park - Again not the most excitin fixture on paper, but just the end of the game was incredible,
89 mins = Simon Donneley scores to give Sheff Wed a 3-1 lead
90 mins = Craig Burlery scores to bring the score back to 3-2
92 mins = Dean Sturridge scores the equaliser to tie the scores at 3-3

well there my top 3 games, lets see wotever one else has to say?

See less See more
#2 ·
Tough one this, there's alot too choose from.

One which springs too mind is, Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsbrough in the Premiership, not 100% sure of the season. We won 5-2, it was a night match, the Leppings Lane end was packed with Derby fans who were going mad, it was my 1st away game, and it was just awesome, back in the days when Baiano, Eranio and Wanchope were ripping defences apart...not sure if Asanovic was still with us.

Last Season's 3-0 win over Forest at Pride Park has too be up there, so far the only time I've been in the ground too see us beat the Scummers. And there's nothing better than thrashing the enemy. Tommy Smith's first goal was one of the best bits of football I have seen, from him Bisgaard and Idiakez, Forest couldn't get near the ball, Rasiak got 2 poachers goals as well to seal the win.

Last Season 2-1 win at the JJB against Wigan was another, it's Boxing Day, we're 1-0 down to what some people say is the best team in the league, at their ground where they never lose, it's half time and the mood among Derby fans isn't great, but Christmas is the time for miracles, and after Rasiak pulls a goal back, Tommy Smith comes off the bench to head in a Bisgaard cross to take the 3 points. We were all bouncing up and down singing 'jingle bells jingle bells jingle all the way oh what fun it is too see the Derby win away' nearly none stop for about 20 mins after that it was great.

The Fa Cup replay at Craven Cottage v Fulham last season was great, despirte losing 4-2 after extra time, we outplayed Fulham and injuries to key players before and during the game (mainly Tommy Smith who ripped them apart in the 1st half) saw us fade away and miss out, but still 4 0r 5 thousand Derby kept on singing, the atmosphere was amazing, even Chris Coleman was complaining on Match of the Day that Fulham fans don't make enough noise and all you could here all game was screaming Derby fans even when it was 4-2 :D

And last but not least Leicester at Pride Park, 2002/03 season, it is a local derby, not the big one, but seems as they usually beat us, we hate them, we;re 1-0 down it's the 88th minute a lot of people are heading for the exit, and the ball bounces in front of Craig Burley on the edge of the box, he just smacks it, it flies in and the roof comes off Pride Park.

Honestly, my chair didn't flip back up like it it was supposed too, so I was stood on it and jumping up and down, waving my thists in the air, giving the Leicester fans the middle finger and everything, I was stood on that chair untill I went too leave, and about 7 or 8 minutes the atmosphere in Pride Park was unbelieveable, I've never heard anything like it, it had been a frustrating season, we had been taking stick of the Leicester fans all game, it looked like we had lost too them again, then all of a sudden we score a goal, and it seemed that a lot of anger and frustration and stress was coming out of the fans, because people were just going mad, people don't normally go over board with their celebrations were jumping on me and hugging me, it was incredible.

Which ONE is my favourite I don't know, I think I will sleep on it, and post that in the morning.

#3 ·
Well I think the best ever Derby game I've seen has to be the Leicester one, just for the last 5 minutes, it was just amazing, I just wish we could have an atmosphere like that for 90 minutes solid. It was anamazing...it's also the only time a police dog has nearly ripped my leg off, it got a bit heated outside the ground afterwards :D

#4 ·
Portsmouth 6-2 Derby is my fave :D. tho i always remember watching the man utd match a couple of years back (96/97 i think) where wanchope scored a couple of beauties

#5 ·
DavidSilk24 said:
Portsmouth 6-2 Derby is my fave :D. tho i always remember watching the man utd match a couple of years back (96/97 i think) where wanchope scored a couple of beauties
Wanchope's debut where he scored that awesome goal at Old Trafford, that was brilliant, though I only saw it on Match of the Day.

The over one we'll not talk about.

#6 ·
jimbo jones said:
Wanchope's debut where he scored that awesome goal at Old Trafford, that was brilliant, though I only saw it on Match of the Day.

The over one we'll not talk about.
c'mon remember it fondly, it got rid of that bitter cnut gregory didn't it?

#7 ·
DavidSilk24 said:
c'mon remember it fondly, it got rid of that bitter cnut gregory didn't it?
I only listened too it on the radio...and not for very long, though I did put it back on when I heard we had got it back to 3-2, and typically you went and put a 4th in so it went off again :)

Yakubu with 2 goals as well....he should have been ours, why couldn't he find some european bird to marry when we were trying to sign him.

#9 ·
Pulsar36 said:
What kind of goal did Wanchope score? :D
Picks the ball up around the half way line, takes on most of the United team and slots the ball into the back of the net, quality goal, they were raving about it on Match of the Day, it used to always get shown years later as well.

THERE IS ONLY WAN CHOPE!!!! what a player!

#10 ·
jimbo jones said:
I only listened too it on the radio...and not for very long, though I did put it back on when I heard we had got it back to 3-2, and typically you went and put a 4th in so it went off again :)

Yakubu with 2 goals as well....he should have been ours, why couldn't he find some european bird to marry when we were trying to sign him.
he married some portuguese bird to sign for us. she seems to have vanished tho now hence his initial problems with the boro work permit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.