LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2008, 18:53 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Norn Iron
Slovakia Vs Norn Iron

WORLD CUP 2010 QUALIFYING GROUP EIGHT
SLOVAKIA V NORTHERN IRELAND
Venue: Bratislava Date: Saturday, 6 September Kick-off: 1630 BST

Northern Ireland pair Keith Gillespie and George McCartney are set to start against Slovakia in Saturday's World Cup qualifying opener in Bratislava.
Gillespie has recently recovered from an ankle injury while McCartney has been overcoming a bout of pneumonia.
Both players missed the recent friendly against Scotland but are now match fit.

The withdrawal of Kyle Lafferty with a back injury means Warren Feeney is now the likely candidate to partner David Healy in attack.
Northern Ireland appear to have no further injury worries following Lafferty's withdrawal.

Previous fitness doubt Jonny Evans trained with the other members of the squad without any apparent ill-effects.

Northern Ireland squad:

Goalkeepers:
M Taylor (Birmingham City),
A Mannus (Linfield),
J Tuffey (Partick Thistle).

Defenders:
C Baird (Fulham),
S Craigan (Motherwell),
G McAuley (Ipswich Town),
J Evans (Manchester United),
M Duff (Burnley),
R McGivern (Manchester City),
G McCartney (West Ham),
A Hughes (Fulham).

Midfielders:

S Davis (Glasgow Rangers),
K Gillespie (Sheffield United),
M O'Connor (Crewe Alexandra),
S Clingan (Norwich City),
C Brunt (West Bromwich Albion),
D Shiels (Hibernian).

Forwards:
D Healy (Sunderland),
P Thompson (Stockport County),
W Feeney (Dundee United),
M Paterson (Scunthorpe United),

end football Apartheid in Ireland!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2008, 21:13
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

GK: Štefan Senecký (Ankaraspor), Ján Mucha ml. (Legia Warsza)

D: Martin Škrtel (FC Liverpool), Ján Ďurica (Saturn Moscow), Peter Pekarík (MŠK Žilina), Martin Petráš (US Triestina), Marek Čech (West Bromwich Albion), Radoslav Zabavník (Terek Groznyj).

M: Miroslav Karhan (FSV Mainz 05), Marek Sapara (Rosenborg Trondheim), Marek Hamšík (SSC Napoli), Stanislav Šesták (VfL Bochum), Dušan Švento (Slavia Praha), Zdeno Štrba (MŠK Žilina), Ján Kozák ml. (Artmedia Petržalka)

F: Filip Hološko (Besiktas Istanbul), Marek Mintál (1. FC Nurnberg), Róbert Vittek (OSC Lille), Martin Jakubko (FK Chimki), Filip Šebo (Valenciennes FC)

Subs: Ľuboš Kamenár (Artmedia Petržalka) Dušan Kuciak (FC Vaslui), Marián Čišovský (Artmedia Petržalka), Matej Krajčík (Slavia Praha), Róbert Jež (MŠK Žilina), Branislav Obžera (Artmedia Petržalka), Ján Novák (MFK Košice), Pavol Masaryk (ŠK Slovan Bratislava).
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2008, 21:17
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

this year we lost every single game tbh I have no expectation from this team.

We suck. I´d wonder if we´ll get at least a point.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2008, 20:32 Thread Starter
Star Player

tbh the players would be of a very similar standard to northern irish players. i suppose it will be down to who has the bigger will to win and perhaps even a better management team

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 16:33
Legend

Teams: Hajduk Split
pretty empty stadium boyos one would expect more people on an opening match of the qualifiers...

still good luck

Never forget
Never forgive
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 18:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoo View Post
this year we lost every single game tbh I have no expectation from this team.

We suck. I´d wonder if we´ll get at least a point.

2 goals from set pieces. Skrtel and Hamsik now

2-0

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 18:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Ján Ďurica own goal

2-1

New hope for the Northern Irish

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 19:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Hurray, we won ! Haven´t seen the game because I really had no belief in this team. Hopefully something is gonna change in player´s heads and they start winning.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 20:01
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenMadness View Post
pretty empty stadium boyos one would expect more people on an opening match of the qualifiers...

still good luck
Thanks

Attendance 5445 is still more than they deserved. Last Qualifiers we sucked balls + this year we lost 4 and drew 1 + last 3 games we didn´t even score. Not exactly a coctail that draws masses to the stadium

Last edited by Kajoo; September 6th, 2008 at 20:08.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2008, 21:35 Thread Starter
Star Player

only saw the game today and i must say i am shocked at quiet a few things. Firstly northern Irelands starting team and formation. It looked like we where playing for a draw with 4-1-4-1.

Also players like Baird, healy and Mc Cartney are still not 100% match fit. Paterson should never have been on the left wing, i would love to know what goes through the managers head.

Despite the scoreline i think the match was quite even. Superior finishing and match fitness won the game for Slovakia

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2008, 07:41
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

even game, agree.

Good luck to the next stage of Qualis.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2008, 08:51
Rising Star

Teams: Wisla Krakow, Valencia, Juventus, Polish NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoo View Post
Thanks

Attendance 5445 is still more than they deserved. Last Qualifiers we sucked balls + this year we lost 4 and drew 1 + last 3 games we didn´t even score. Not exactly a coctail that draws masses to the stadium
What's the capacity of this stadium ? Will it be possible to get tickets for Slovakia-Poland game directly before the match ? Anyway Bratislava will be white and red that day
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2008, 09:27
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Capacity of this old barn is 30000. Tehelne Pole stadium was out of date already 30 years ago, hopefully will be teared down soon.

@ tickets: not even Garmany or Czech rep. game was sold out and tickets were avalaible directly on stadium. If there will be a realistic chance to finish 2nd some 15000 Slovak fans come. If not I doubt more than 5000 will come. The rest of stadium is yours. Enjoy
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2008, 21:58
Premier Player

Teams: Czech Rep Nat, Sparta Praha, Chelsea, Moldavia
It's between you guys, Poland and Slovenia for 1st place in this group. Good luck. This Czech team is lead by an absolute moron of a coach. This is the best shot at qualifying that Slovakia will ever have IMO
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2008, 03:47
Premier Player

I posted this before I saw Slovenia-Slovakia result and before I realized that Martin Petras still plays as one of your CBs
I thought that things will be better under Weiss but you seem to be back to the same old...
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2008, 12:00
皇帝
Premier Player

Teams: ŠK Slovan Bratislava, Slovakia
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris14 View Post
It's between you guys, Poland and Slovenia for 1st place in this group. Good luck. This Czech team is lead by an absolute moron of a coach. This is the best shot at qualifying that Slovakia will ever have IMO
Moron or not, Czechs will be first in this group. That´s for sure. Slovenia, Slovakia, Poland or Northen Ireland - they all can end second. BUt you are overestimating Slovenians - from what I saw aren´t strong. Czechs or N. Ireland will defeat them easily - we really sucked epicly last game a that was main reason why we lost (plus they can thank to referee for that goal and few other situations).
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2008, 14:33
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Embarassing loss.

Key to our loss was lack of productivity of our Attack. Vittek is only shadow of good old Vittek we all know. Hološko was invisible and crowned his poor performance with rubbish shot from zero angle to side net instead of passing it to free Hamsik. I´d rather take speedy Erik Jendrisek from Kaisersautern, aggressive Silly Németh from Aachen or tank Peter Štyvar from Zilina.

Midfield: Štrba with Karhan are the best back-passers in the whole Universe, creating nothing. Sapara is out of form and only offensive threat was lonely Hamsik.

Defense: Martin Skrtel is rock but his team mates in D haven´t helped him much. Surprisingly shaky performance. We need 4 Skrtels !

@Refs: to be fair vs.N.Ireland refs helped us a lot after not calling penalty kick against us (hand play by Petras), now sinked us down.

Disallowed goal of Martin Petráš was a regular goal imo, both players were holding their shirts. If Petras would fell down I´d wonder if ref would give penalty decision. In added time Martin Jakubko was tripped by Slovenain defender in penalty area (was shown in replay), I wonder nobody mentioned this. Clear penalty + booking in my eyes. On the other side i´d send off alst man Jan Durica for holding the Slovenian striker.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2008, 16:09
Legend

Teams: Slovenia, Brazil, Russia, Korea, Vasco da Gama
Well, I don't agree about the goal, while it may be true that both were holding each others shirts, your guy clearly gained advantage by pulling our defender away from the ball, so goal disallowed correctly, IMHO. But you are spot on about the penalty, it should have been given. Other than that, it was pretty exciting game, that could go either way, we just converted one chance more than you did.

Skrtel didn't impress me, btw. Novakovic scored 2 goals with him around.

Caipirinha: 6 €
Brazilian NT shirt: 70 €
Flight to Rio de Janeiro: 400 €
Seeing Italian NT kicked out of major tournament: PRICELESS

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
All NBA and NHL except Red Wings
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2008, 16:34
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalerab View Post
Moron or not, Czechs will be first in this group. That´s for sure. Slovenia, Slovakia, Poland or Northen Ireland - they all can end second. BUt you are overestimating Slovenians - from what I saw aren´t strong. Czechs or N. Ireland will defeat them easily - we really sucked epicly last game a that was main reason why we lost (plus they can thank to referee for that goal and few other situations).
I only saw 2nd half of your match and from what I can tell Slovenia was better. They were more dangerous in their attack and Novakovic was always very dangerous, he could have had a couple more goals. From Slovakia, the only player I thought played very well was Jakubko. Hamsik was dissapointing, Sapara was crap (Norwegian league is way overrated IMO), why was he shooting from a long distance in last seconds instead of trying to work something in penalty area, and defense was very shaky.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2008, 20:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAnimal View Post
Well, I don't agree about the goal, while it may be true that both were holding each others shirts, your guy clearly gained advantage by pulling our defender away from the ball, so goal disallowed correctly, IMHO. But you are spot on about the penalty, it should have been given. Other than that, it was pretty exciting game, that could go either way, we just converted one chance more than you did.
Agree, game was nice and exciting. Respect to your team, you played really well. Your midfield was superior and finishing excellent. However your defence looked a bit shaky.

Howabout disallowed goal´s situation there was only one distance replay and I haven´t seen Petras fouling slovenian defender more than vice-versa. I´ve got a feeling that Slovenian defender felt down quite late after contact with Petras, in TV it looked like dive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAnimal View Post
Skrtel didn't impress me, btw. Novakovic scored 2 goals with him around.
Don´t want to defend Skrtel but I´d rather question poor positioning of keeper Senecký before the first. 2nd one was fail of RB Pekarik who let himself fooled by Novakovič first, however Skrtel was too late there. He rarely tackles opponent in penalty area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in