View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old June 11th, 2005, 10:38
jimbo jones
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Pablo talks put on hold

By Ian Whadcoat

Pablo Mills' contract talks have been put on hold - but he has been assured he still has a future at Derby County.

The 21-year-old's current deal expires at the end of this month and negotiations were due to be held this week over an extension.

However, the surprising turnaround of events at Pride Park this week means discussions about Mills' future at Pride Park have been delayed.

Chief executive Jeremy Keith said: "Pablo Mills' people understand the situation and they are not expecting us to confirm a new contract for him right now.

"Pablo does not know who he would be working for and I'm sure he would not be comfortable about signing a contract without him knowing."

However, Mills' agent Gino Culbertson has been told the club still want to keep the centre-half.

And despite other Championship clubs showing an interest in Mills, Culbertson says he is happy to wait for a short period while the Rams appoint a new manager.

"We want to give the club every opportunity to get their own house in order," he said. "But the board have assured me 100 per cent they want Pablo at Derby County.

"From Pablo's point of view, we do not want it dragging on and we can only wait so long."

Mills only started two of the final 14 games of last season and was often further down the pecking order for a centre-back role behind Mo Konjic, Michael Johnson and Tom Huddlestone.

With 26 appearances in total last season, 18 of them starts, Mills' best run in the side came at the beginning of January when he made 10 consecutive starts.

Huddlestone is on his way to Tottenham Hotspur next season meaning opportunities for Mills could open up, although Culbertson says there is interest from several other Championship clubs.

"There is significant interest from other clubs but Pablo is a Derby lad, his heart is with the club and that's where he wants to be.

"I have been in constant contact with Jeremy Keith and we are happy to hang fire for a few days."

The search for potential new signings will now be on hold until Burley's successor is named.

That means little activity in the transfer market and is likely to end the speculation, for now at least, that linked Polish central defender Tomasz Hajto with a move to Pride Park, as was reported yesterday.

"There is very little happening in the football department at the moment," added Keith

"We do not have a manager but the manager would not be doing very much at this time.

"Of course, it's going to be better for the club if the new manager arrives as quickly as possible but it's difficult to put a time scale on it.

"At the minute, we are not talking to new players. The new manager would have his own ideas and that's only right as he picks the team.

"The transfer window is open until the end of August and whoever comes in will have until then to shape the squad."

-----------------------------------------------------

Obviously, Mills will now have to wait for a new manager too come in, before getting a new contract, the new manager should see he is a valuable member of the squad and keep him at the club. Also a new manager should see Mills believe he can fight to win the regular first team place he want's but so far has failed too get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome